Bloomberg: Apple Watch to Get Standalone App Store, iOS 13 Will Have All-New Sleep Mode, and More

Shpyda

macrumors member
Apr 21, 2015
Grand Rapids, MI
I just want to be able to open the mail app and attach a file to an email. Instead we have to go to the file and select email file.
You can totally add a file to an email through the native email app. Just press and hold in the body of the email until the "Select", "Select All" and "Quote Level" dialogue box pops up and then hit the arrow on the end. It changes the dialogue to say "Insert Photo or Video" and "Add Attachment". Insert photo pulls up your photo library and Add Attachment pulls up the Files app.

twolf2919

macrumors regular
Aug 26, 2014
To me that sounds like they are slowly preparing the watch to be useable without any iphone.
What will that buy them? I mean, the watch has already been usable without an iPhone if you spend the extra money on cellular. But the watch doesn't really reach its full potential until paired with an iPhone. Who would even buy a *truly* independent Apple Watch? Without iPhone integration, it would essentially be a very expensive Fitbit.

And, as another poster mentioned, there really isn't much of a market for independent Apple Watch apps. I'm on my third watch and have yet to install an app that was truly independently useful - oh, wait, there was that workout app which allowed me to stay in a preferred heart rate zone....never mind - even that app needed to write its health/workout data back to the iPhone's Health app/data store.

Sasparilla

macrumors 65816
Jul 6, 2012
A dedicated App Store app on the Apple Watch itself

I have a hard-time imaging who would use that. Apart from that the number of third party apps on my Apple Watch I use daily is zero, what would be the advantage of that?
Could this be the beginning of creating a standalone wearable capability? Guessing, down the road, we're going there.

dominiongamma

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2014
Tempe, Arizona
Swipe keyboard is a HUGE addition for me. Third-party keyboards can be a little unresponsive and buggy, so I abandoned GBoard. But it was far superior when it worked, especially for one-handed messaging.
I’m little shocked Apple introduced it way back but never did one of their own

H3LL5P4WN

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2010
Pittsburgh PA
Without iPhone integration, it would essentially be a very expensive Fitbit.
Having owned several Fitbits previously, the Fitbit itself is useless without a phone to sync to. Frankly, it was only marginally better than useless with a phone to sync to, lol.

dominiongamma

macrumors 68000
Oct 19, 2014
Tempe, Arizona
You can totally add a file to an email through the native email app. Just press and hold in the body of the email until the "Select", "Select All" and "Quote Level" dialogue box pops up and then hit the arrow on the end. It changes the dialogue to say "Insert Photo or Video" and "Add Attachment". Insert photo pulls up your photo library and Add Attachment pulls up the Files app.
While this may work I was hoping for a Gmail style button with a paper clip to attach the file and select the file and it’s done.

broodj3ham

macrumors newbie
Jan 27, 2019
What will that buy them? I mean, the watch has already been usable without an iPhone if you spend the extra money on cellular. But the watch doesn't really reach its full potential until paired with an iPhone. Who would even buy a *truly* independent Apple Watch? Without iPhone integration, it would essentially be a very expensive Fitbit.

And, as another poster mentioned, there really isn't much of a market for independent Apple Watch apps. I'm on my third watch and have yet to install an app that was truly independently useful - oh, wait, there was that workout app which allowed me to stay in a preferred heart rate zone....never mind - even that app needed to write its health/workout data back to the iPhone's Health app/data store.
dont know, but maybe luring people into buying an iphone to unlock the full potential of their watch?

BootsWalking

macrumors 65816
Feb 1, 2014
Screen Time on Mac

I hope they're using double floating-point precision for this implementation, to capture very small increments of time ;)

djlythium

macrumors 6502a
Jun 11, 2014
I don’t think Apple allows the AW to be used without an iPhone (you gotta hook people to the main cash cow, the iPhone), but considering how quick Apple put in cellular on a tiny watch seems to show that that’s their plan is to have a more robust watchOS platform (ie ability to install apps without having to be near the iPhone).

I wish Apple would allow Apple Watches to be paired with an iPad. Imagine having a cellular iPad mini and an Apple Watch combo, skipping the iPhone. :D
I was considering just that a little while ago. Personally, I would find a 7” Phone (iPP-style design) much more useful because it would fill the gap between the iPXSMax and the iPMini. I’d rather have one device than two. So, an aW linked to an all-screen 7” phone would be amazing, I think!

erinsarah

macrumors 6502
Mar 17, 2011
yes! a swipe type keyboard.
finally.
goodbye Gboard.
Just yesterday I was texting to a friend about Swiftkey, how I had sort of forgotten about it’s existence, and how I needed to look into using it or something like it again because my typing on the phone sucks so bad. Except that due to my bad typing I somehow managed to accidentally invite the friend over to murder my dog. Or something like that.

ugahairydawgs

macrumors 68030
Jun 10, 2010
Got excited then thinking that could be some useful changes and things I would actually use - then realised it was just what someone is "expecting" i.e. hoping.
It's Mark Gurman, so he's not just pulling it out of thin air. I would expect to see something very closely resembling all of this at WWDC next month.

Reactions: abrantes09

abrantes09

macrumors member
Feb 6, 2019
I don’t think Apple allows the AW to be used without an iPhone (you gotta hook people to the main cash cow, the iPhone), but considering how quick Apple put in cellular on a tiny watch seems to show that that’s their plan is to have a more robust watchOS platform (ie ability to install apps without having to be near the iPhone).

I wish Apple would allow Apple Watches to be paired with an iPad. Imagine having a cellular iPad mini and an Apple Watch combo, skipping the iPhone. :D
I just want pairing to iPad to control the music and podcast volume. It would be great for it to switch between media players to control both devices.