Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Intellectua1

Suspended
Jun 3, 2016
Seattle, Washington
A couple weeks ago someone commented that the Apple watch will one day become it's on device/platform and you'd be able to use it without an iPhone, well this new update makes it seem like they may be right.

Rob_2811

Suspended
Mar 18, 2016
United Kingdom
I’d love to know who’s leaking and how they don’t seem to ever get caught.

Its all a bit suspicious I think, its been going on for years now. I remember him leaking the details of the 12 inch MacBook he even had some of the marketing pictures that were used on the Apple website.

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
I just want pairing to iPad to control the music and podcast volume. It would be great for it to switch between media players to control both devices.

This. Airplay 2 support needs to be fleshed out more (which this would be a part of).

If I stream Apple Music from my iPhone to my Airplay 2 speakers, I can control that stream from my watch or from any other iOS device or from iTunes.

If I stream Apple Music from my iPad to my Airplay 2 speakers, I can control that stream from any other iOS device or from iTunes. But why not my watch? Whats so fundamentally different about those two uses?

And don't get me started on the ability to *start* an airplay 2 audio session from iTunes on a mac...

4look4rd

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2009
They better add mouse support to the iPad as rumored, that’s the only feature I really care about.

Same here. Mouse support is what will push me from upgrading my current 9.7" pro to the latest 12" later in the year. Without mouse support I might as well keep my current ipad for consumption only, instead of getting a new one for productivity.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Its all a bit suspicious I think, its been going on for years now. I remember him leaking the details of the 12 inch MacBook he even had some of the marketing pictures that were used on the Apple website.
I think there are times when Apple might leak something but it wouldn’t be to Mark Gurman or 9to5Mac and it wouldn’t be this much information. I mean these leaks are almost a whole keynote worth of information. And we’ve still got several weeks to go. For all we know more leaks are coming.

jackietreeh0rn

macrumors regular
Apr 13, 2018
Am I the only one disappointed to know that the home screen redesign seems to be only iPad focused? I was really hoping to see something new on the iPhone too, you know, apart from "dark mode" and revamped messages/mail/maps/blah blah apps which are fine, but iOS needs a wholesome redesign. It is getting boring.

Benjamin Iveagh

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2018
Boston, MA
We can't even do that on the iPhone yet, by the time they allow us to do that on the phone.... you have to wait a few more years after that for Apple watch to get it.

Who says you can’t already do this? You can run many AW apps at the same time. I think what OP meant was multiple workout apps at same time. Two different apps can’t use the same hardware (ie, two heart rate apps using the heart rate monitor at the same time), and you wouldn’t want them to anyway.

atikalz

macrumors regular
Mar 22, 2016
And people here sill still complain. Sounds like a solid update. Beta season approaches!!!

I would be so happy with PIP on the larger iPhones. Thats probably the only thing android has that I would want.
Most of this list doesnt sounds like an OS Update, but like many Apps Updates. Google Android does those things with System Apps on the fly, not in a major XX.Update. Apple is so lazy and slow.

Reactions: techinsight

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
Excited for WWDC this year. Should be a huge update for the iPad. Dark mode is really all I want for my iPhone and I am pretty much set there, but I welcome any new features.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Am I the only one disappointed to know that the home screen redesign seems to be only iPad focused? I was really hoping to see something new on the iPhone too, you know, apart from "dark mode" and revamped messages/mail/maps/blah blah apps which are fine, but iOS needs a wholesome redesign. It is getting boring.
Why do you need a redesigned home screen on the iPhone? How much time do you spend looking at it? Seems to me the home screen/desktop as an app launcher is a solved problem. Microsoft tried live tiles in Windows 8 and it was universally hated.

Reactions: MEJHarrison

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
The big push for the unification of iOS and MacOS has begun. Shame on you Apple. It’s going to become Windows 10. A bloated, unoptimized pig. :apple:
Apple either goes with unified apps on both platforms, or forces MacOS users to wait for years for iOS features to finally come to the Mac, acting like its most expensive products (Macs) are all an afterthought. Remember how many years it took Siri to finally get a Mac port? iPhone in 2011, Mac in 2016 - that's 5 years we had to wait.

If done right, Marzipan could be a great thing for Mac users. MacOS feature-parity with iOS is a long time in coming. Plus, the project has the potential to create a lot of native third-party apps for the Mac as well, and encourage developers to make apps they can easily test natively on their Mac and transition to iOS as well.

But Apple should not merge MacOS and iOS, and this is something that won't happen based on previous statements.

trip1ex

macrumors 68030
Jan 10, 2008
Hopefully this means the alarm clock functionality is improved. Was always annoying to edit your alarms.

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
Sounds great.
WWDC is in a couple of weeks can’t wait see what apple has been up to.

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
Apple either goes with unified apps on both platforms, or forces MacOS users to wait for years for iOS features to finally come to the Mac, acting like its most expensive products (Macs) are all an afterthought. Remember how many years it took Siri to finally get a Mac port? iPhone in 2011, Mac in 2016 - that's 5 years we had to wait.

If done right, Marzipan could be a great thing for Mac users. MacOS feature-parity with iOS is a long time in coming. Plus, the project has the potential to create a lot of native third-party apps for the Mac as well, and encourage developers to make apps they can easily test natively on their Mac and transition to iOS as well.

But Apple should not merge MacOS and iOS, and this is something that won't happen based on previous statements.

As long as we don’t end up with one “Apple OS” for all devices I’m willing to give Apple a chance. I’m simply not as confident in the Software Team as I was 10 years ago. :apple:

Reactions: Mr Todhunter

jml1982

macrumors member
Aug 31, 2015
Still missing so many features though!
iPhone
-Organize the apps how i want, larger phones shouldn't necessarily have to be arranged from the top down, it's hard to reach them
-Be able to always have weather, activity or other "widgets" on lock screen
-Apple watch activity notifications not just on the Apple watch, but also the iPhone! It feels so separate right now
-Eliminate Volume control over video
-phone call interrupting the entire screen, have it as a notification
-PIP for at least the big iPhone
-Multitasking at least for the big iPhone
-Fully customizable control center
-quote an iMessage like WhatsApp

Hopefully it will fix the other bugs that are in the current iOS, like Apple Music when connected to a car via USB. Lots of little quirks, one not being able to add to up next.

Rob_2811

Suspended
Mar 18, 2016
United Kingdom
I think there are times when Apple might leak something but it wouldn’t be to Mark Gurman or 9to5Mac and it wouldn’t be this much information. I mean these leaks are almost a whole keynote worth of information. And we’ve still got several weeks to go. For all we know more leaks are coming.

It's definitely coming directly or indirectly from within Apple no third party is going to have that breadth of knowledge accross all of the products and operating systems. He was getting these kind of stories when he was in college too.

I always though maybe he knows somebody related to someone Apple, maybe their kids, and they are spilling details of things they are seeing being tested at home. I think Gurman is from California so its possible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.