Bloomberg: Apple Watch to Get Standalone App Store, iOS 13 Will Have All-New Sleep Mode, and More

lmac33

macrumors newbie
Apr 4, 2011
What will that buy them? I mean, the watch has already been usable without an iPhone if you spend the extra money on cellular. But the watch doesn't really reach its full potential until paired with an iPhone. Who would even buy a *truly* independent Apple Watch? Without iPhone integration, it would essentially be a very expensive Fitbit.
I'm on the tail of the distribution curve but you essentially asked who would want an independent AW. My goal is to wean myself from a smartphone and use an AW for messages, calls, maps, workouts, and health-related apps. Siri will need to advance for this to happen and it would be nice if cellphone companies offered a plan that would appropriately charge for this (data needs would drop substantially and I would no longer need my unlimited data plan.) The reasons I don't switch to a dumbphone include; no Siri, no maps, no music streaming, and no AW.

melancholy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2016
A dedicated App Store app on the Apple Watch itself

I have a hard-time imaging who would use that. Apart from that the number of third party apps on my Apple Watch I use daily is zero, what would be the advantage of that?
It’s seriously not that hard to imagine. People may want to download purchased apps when they’re on the go without their phones. It’s just for convenience.

QuarterSwede

macrumors G3
Oct 1, 2005
Colorado Springs, CO

I have a hard-time imaging who would use that. Apart from that the number of third party apps on my Apple Watch I use daily is zero, what would be the advantage of that?
This is pretty anecdotal.

Ex: I have a work face and personal face; I use both almost exclusively. On my work face I have 3 apps in use daily, Things, Pedometer++, and Calendars 5. On my personal face I have 4. AnyList, Pocket Cast, HarmonyWatch, and Intervals Pro. The Infograph complications on the series 4 are fantastic and super useful.

This doesn’t include non-daily drivers like 1Password, Authy, Altimeter+, Deliveries, GasBuddy, My Pollen Forecast Pro, Spark, and United. I have more but they get far less use.

I don’t see myself using an App Store on the Apple Watch as my iPhone would be quicker. However, if Apple is looking at making the watch work without an iPhone it makes total sense.

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
That’s not the fault of the OS. That responsibility lies at the feet of Apple’s Software Development Team, and Apple’s general attitude toward desktop systems.

MacOS began it’s slow festering decomposition when Apple went from Apple Computer to Apple Inc. :apple:
I agree to an extent, Apple could have absolutely done more to improve macOS. The problem I see is that they have tried to make it more of a consumer OS instead of really pivoting towards the Pro market. They should have made this change early on and pointed consumer customers to iOS, while keeping macOS heavily geared towards Pro's which is likely the only future it will hold. In the end though, mobile and wearables still have a brighter future than any traditional desktop/laptop system so the decline was likely inevitable, but Apple should have (and likely still will) just shifted the entire OS to the Pro market and kept both customer segments happy.

gnomeisland

macrumors 6502a
Jul 30, 2008
New York, NY
I'm worried that external storage support isn't on the list for iPads. That's a pretty big issue with my iPad Pro—well that and just 3rd-party USB driver support. My iOS compatible Apogee device still doesn't work right because the 2018 iPad Pro dropped Mfi support with the switch to USB-C.

code-m

macrumors 68000
Apr 13, 2006
The big push for the unification of iOS and MacOS has begun. Shame on you Apple. It’s going to become Windows 10. A bloated, unoptimized pig. :apple:
Not necessarily a negative, one package for a developers app or game and it installs either the iOS version for phone or tablet or macOS desktop version may it have TouchBar or not. Eventually the hardware AX silicone will be adopted on Mac hardware and there will be a transition from x64 to AX.

Reactions: Glideslope

bigjnyc

macrumors 603
Apr 10, 2008
Did you expect everything to get "leaked"? I'm sure the volume HUD will get a redesign. There's just no way they can skip it.
You don't know Apple well enough then lol. They won't upgrade something unless they feel like it, no matter how loud the public outcry.... It's probably getting updated but it wouldn't surprise me if we see the same atrocious volume HUD again. Because that's just how Apple rolls.

Reactions: Craiguyver

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
I hope the revamped Health app means it’s coming to the iPad too now, finally. I really want to be able to see and review all my data on the larger screen. More Apple Watch independence from the iPhone makes it seem like this could be a real possibility.

While we’re at it, why not add the other missing iPhone apps to the iPad. Calculator, Phone, even Wallet would be useful. Maybe the revamped home screen could allow for smaller iPhone apps to be displayed without taking up the whole screen, thus allowing for these smaller apps to be brought over without having to have a total redesign.

sirozha

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2008
Apple either goes with unified apps on both platforms, or forces MacOS users to wait for years for iOS features to finally come to the Mac, acting like its most expensive products (Macs) are all an afterthought. Remember how many years it took Siri to finally get a Mac port? iPhone in 2011, Mac in 2016 - that's 5 years we had to wait.

If done right, Marzipan could be a great thing for Mac users. MacOS feature-parity with iOS is a long time in coming. Plus, the project has the potential to create a lot of native third-party apps for the Mac as well, and encourage developers to make apps they can easily test natively on their Mac and transition to iOS as well.

But Apple should not merge MacOS and iOS, and this is something that won't happen based on previous statements.
The Apple Pencil never happened either based on the Apple’s previous statements.

bigjnyc

macrumors 603
Apr 10, 2008
I would just like separate volume management for my alarms.... its absolutely asinine that the alarm volume has to be the same as your ringer volume.... Sometimes I forget to lower my ringer when I go to bed at night and get a jarring wake up in the morning.

Reactions: Mr Todhunter

boston04and07

macrumors 68000
May 13, 2008
This. Airplay 2 support needs to be fleshed out more (which this would be a part of).

If I stream Apple Music from my iPhone to my Airplay 2 speakers, I can control that stream from my watch or from any other iOS device or from iTunes.

If I stream Apple Music from my iPad to my Airplay 2 speakers, I can control that stream from any other iOS device or from iTunes. But why not my watch? Whats so fundamentally different about those two uses?

And don't get me started on the ability to *start* an airplay 2 audio session from iTunes on a mac...
Yes, this!! It drives me crazy how we can’t control what’s playing on one iOS device from another. If I’m listening to an audiobook via my AirPods on my iPhone, I should be able to control it from my iPad, and vice versa.

melancholy

macrumors 6502a
Aug 25, 2016
Then what you actually want is a laptop.
smh, no. Just because he wants mouse support, doesn’t mean he should get a laptop. They’re completely different operating systems. Get your mind off the idea that a cursor is only meant to be used on a ‘computer or laptop’.

If the iPad is propped up on its keyboard folio, it’s no different than a laptop, other than the software. Except an iPad is inferior than a laptop this way, and we shouldn’t need to inconvenience ourselves because people like you want to arbitrarily differentiate a ‘tablet’ and a ‘laptop’.

An iPad needs mouse support when the iPad is docked on the keyboard folio. It is a terrible experience to constantly raise and reach your arm out to the display to navigate on the iPad and accomplish tasks. A mouse is superior this way, because your hands are always resting, and it’s near the keyboard folio. A mouse requires little movement compared to touch.

Mouse support wouldn’t be replacing touch. No one needs to buy a laptop over a tablet for mouse support. Use your brain, the input is for ease of use, not for what the device is. s m h think of the experience and functionality, and how it’ll improve how we interact with iPad this way.

atoqir

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2018
I think it is a bit stupid that 90 percent of these features are just updated stock apps.

They should just push app updates to app through the store so we don't have to wait a whole year for new features.

Every OS-vendor separates apps from the OS these days.

Crowbot

macrumors 6502
May 29, 2018
NYC
I've definitely gotten to where I can't live without a swipe keyboard!

We really need much more love for digital watch faces in the next OS. That's a huge want from me.

Kind of a hack, but I do "Hey Siri, remind me every day at 1pm to take the red pill."
Yes. I like some of the analog faces but the Utility and Siri faces are the first ones on my list. Seconds display should certainly be an option. The numbers may have to be smaller to fit.

I do just that with Reminders. But the app will be pretty, Im sure. ;)

Reactions: MisterSavage

qube_TA

macrumors newbie
Aug 24, 2017
Leeds, UK
Biggest bottleneck for myself against the new MacOS is the lack of 32-bit support. Whilst I've still got a few bits n pieces that are 32-bit that I use, the biggest hurdle is that many apps I use have a 32-bit installer despite being 64-bit once there. So everything might work after the update but if I ever did a wipe, or bought a new machine then there's a lot that won't install. Hopefully someone will make a wrapper to get around this problem.

redheeler

macrumors 604
Oct 17, 2014
The Apple Pencil never happened either based on the Apple’s previous statements.
The Apple Pencil was intended to bring some of the benefits of a stylus, without the negative consequences of making it the primary input device. The Marzipan project is intended to bring some of the benefits of a MacOS / iOS merger, without the negative consequences of fully merging the two into a single OS.

Apple Pencil is to a pre-iPhone smartphone stylus what Marzipan is to a MacOS / iOS merger. It all depends on how you look at it.

gavroche

macrumors 65816
Oct 25, 2007
Left Coast
Just yesterday I was texting to a friend about Swiftkey, how I had sort of forgotten about it’s existence, and how I needed to look into using it or something like it again because my typing on the phone sucks so bad. Except that due to my bad typing I somehow managed to accidentally invite the friend over to murder my dog. Or something like that.
Update on dog please...

Reactions: whiteonline

thomas040

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2007
New York

If this is not about watch faces, I can't imagine it either. But maybe they finally have some good developers ready with some actual decent apps up their sleeve.

Reactions: Mr Todhunter

shieldcy

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2017
iOS 13 new features / improvements sound nice, no complaints here

But what about macOS? They literally didn’t add any new features or any big improvements. It will be 99% the same as last year. So disappointing if it’s true.

alpi123

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2014
You don't know Apple well enough then lol. They won't upgrade something unless they feel like it, no matter how loud the public outcry.... It's probably getting updated but it wouldn't surprise me if we see the same atrocious volume HUD again. Because that's just how Apple rolls.
Yes. SO that's why everyone cried about a dark mode and we're getting one...

Peperino

macrumors 6502a
Nov 2, 2016
Emojis and Memojis now in Sync...

Wow Apple innovation at its best!!

It seems the hardware designers are using the new Sleep mode since they are taking big time naps...