Bloomberg: Apple Watch to Get Standalone App Store, iOS 13 Will Have All-New Sleep Mode, and More

DNichter

macrumors G3
Apr 27, 2015
Philadelphia, PA
its no use to add features to iOS. iOS today is where OS 9 was in 2001 and Windows 3.1 in 1995.

It was built for a different era. Time for a completely new OS for iphones and iPads, but Tim Cook is too scared to kill his golden goose.
Why would they need a completely new OS? What changes would require that?

GregJohn

macrumors regular
Oct 29, 2015
Saskatoon, SK
okay this (if true) sounds great! I really hope some (if not a major) ui/homescreen redesign, with new volume HUD and an always on display.

If apple can do everything listed plus the others I listed for iOS 13.... I will be extremely happy

mono1980

macrumors 6502
Feb 15, 2005
Lansing, MI
The big push for the unification of iOS and MacOS has begun. Shame on you Apple. It’s going to become Windows 10. A bloated, unoptimized pig. :apple:
They pretty much have to do this because MacOS is slowly dying. It barely gets any new apps anymore. When was the last time a groundbreaking app launched on the Mac?

DotCom2

macrumors 601
Feb 22, 2009
The Apple Watch stores the last 30 days of messages and automatically deletes older ones. It used to bother me too, until I realized that it doesn’t have to be managed at all.
Good to know and thank you for that but sometimes I need messages off sooner than 30 days.

Kagio

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2008
I need a new gesture for control center on iPhone X.
Top right corner is just stupid and not comfortable to reach.

nwcs

macrumors 68000
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
But Google updates Chrome silently, not having a full blown keynote every time a new version is released.
True, but the reality is that the vast majority of people don’t really care. It’s something they see once or twice and never bother with it again.

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors regular
May 30, 2016
its no use to add features to iOS. iOS today is where OS 9 was in 2001 and Windows 3.1 in 1995.

It was built for a different era. Time for a completely new OS for iphones and iPads, but Tim Cook is too scared to kill his golden goose.
This statement is just wrong on all levels. OS9 was operating system released in the late 90s, based on technology from the early 80s. When the original Mac System 1 was released, there was no Internet, there were very few computers with advanced GUIs, and there was no advanced graphics and hard drives. Also, by the early 90s, Apple rarely touch the Mac operating system. System 7 was released in 1991, Mac OS 8 wasn’t released until 1997. Windows with far ahead of macOS back in the late 90s. By 2001, the Mac needed a radical new operating system.
This is in sharp contrast to iOS. Even though it’s been almost 12 years, fundamentally the iPhone hasn’t changed much. That’s OK, technology moves slower nowadays than it did between the 80s and 90s. That’s just how things are, things last longer. Also, the original Mac OS had trouble keeping up with the times. iOS did not. iPhone OS 1.0 launched 16 months before android.
iPhone OS 2.0 added the App Store, pulling the iPhone even further into the future.
iPhone OS 3 and iOS 4 or more small feature updates, but they did also introduce the iPad at the same time. Siri in iOS5 launched almost a full year before the original Google now assistant. iOS 7 added 64 Bit support long before android. iOS 10 completely revamped the file system, making iOS 64 bit only. In several benchmarks and speed tests, the iPhone dramatically outperform competitors in terms of processors, operating system stability, and fluidity. so there’s absolutely no reason for Apple to dump iOS. It will be fine for at least another 7 to 10 years

Reactions: bwintx

pika2000

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2007
True, but the reality is that the vast majority of people don’t really care. It’s something they see once or twice and never bother with it again.
Apple always put the iOS version up and front on their website. Imagine how silly it will be once we reach 15, or 20 or so. Versioning will always be there, but Apple did solve this with macOS by using names.

Reactions: Mr Todhunter

smulji

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2011
The big push for the unification of iOS and MacOS has begun. Shame on you Apple. It’s going to become Windows 10. A bloated, unoptimized pig. :apple:
I don't see a unification of iOS & macOS. What I see is Marzipan as the gateway drug for UIKit eventually cannibalizing AppKit as the development platform of choice for the Mac akin to how Cocoa overtook Carbon.

nwcs

macrumors 68000
Sep 21, 2009
Tennessee
Apple always put the iOS version up and front on their website. Imagine how silly it will be once we reach 15, or 20 or so. Versioning will always be there, but Apple did solve this with macOS by using names.
And they will likely do the same with iOS. I don’t think 15 or 20 is odd. I guess I’ve dealt with versions for too long to worry about it. People are used to long numbers, though. Happens with things like cars and no one worries about it. It just increments and people accept it.

alpi123

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2014
Like what I’m hearing... some useful changes there. However I’m a little concerned there’s no mention of the volume HUD change supposedly in the works
Did you expect everything to get "leaked"? I'm sure the volume HUD will get a redesign. There's just no way they can skip it.

niji

Contributor
Feb 9, 2003
tokyo
Just yesterday I was texting to a friend about Swiftkey, how I had sort of forgotten about it’s existence, and how I needed to look into using it or something like it again because my typing on the phone sucks so bad. Except that due to my bad typing I somehow managed to accidentally invite the friend over to murder my dog. Or something like that.
happens a lot.
i never knew so many names of diseases or literary terms that are given for mistyping metropolitan or ankara.

pika2000

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2007
And they will likely do the same with iOS. I don’t think 15 or 20 is odd. I guess I’ve dealt with versions for too long to worry about it. People are used to long numbers, though. Happens with things like cars and no one worries about it. It just increments and people accept it.
Cars use their year of release. You have Honda Civic 2019, which makes sense due the yearly release, but not Honda Civic 27.

JM

macrumors 6502a
Nov 23, 2014

• Performance improvements and bug fixes

THIS IS HUGE GUYS!!!! I’ve been waiting for YEARS!!!

Haha :D

Reactions: GIZBUG

felixroqu3

macrumors 6502
Mar 5, 2012
New York, NY
Like what I’m hearing... some useful changes there. However I’m a little concerned there’s no mention of the volume HUD change supposedly in the works
Usually there are hundreds of smaller updates that Apple incorporates in every major iOS update. Im sure the volume HUB is one of them

MisterSavage

macrumors 68000
Nov 10, 2018
yes! a swipe type keyboard.
finally.
goodbye Gboard.
I've definitely gotten to where I can't live without a swipe keyboard!

I have been waiting for a "seconds" display on the digital watch face since v0.
We really need much more love for digital watch faces in the next OS. That's a huge want from me.

Pill reminder would be awesome!
Kind of a hack, but I do "Hey Siri, remind me every day at 1pm to take the red pill."

Glideslope

macrumors 603
Dec 7, 2007
A quiet place in NY.
They pretty much have to do this because MacOS is slowly dying. It barely gets any new apps anymore. When was the last time a groundbreaking app launched on the Mac?
That’s not the fault of the OS. That responsibility lies at the feet of Apple’s Software Development Team, and Apple’s general attitude toward desktop systems.

MacOS began it’s slow festering decomposition when Apple went from Apple Computer to Apple Inc. :apple: