Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BigBen2493

macrumors regular
Original poster
May 10, 2016
So having a hard time deciding which adapter to buy for my Iphone XS for fast charging, been reading about how the iPhone XS and iPhone XR will only draw a maximum of 18 watts?
Any difference between the two? Charging speeds?

QueenTyrone

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2016
Yes the more watts the faster it charges, but it’s not a huge amount. The 30 watt will charge slightly faster than the 18watt. There’s YouTube videos about it that did tests.

Shadowbech

macrumors G3
Oct 18, 2011
Even if you get the 30W charger, it will only draw it's max of 18 watts. So there shouldn't be any difference. I have the 30W charger because I have the Smart Battery case and it charges the phone and the case at the same time. I'm sure the 18W would have done the same.

TheIntruder

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2008
Read these (1, 2, 3) before you decide.

Unless there is an immediate need for USB PD, or a desire for future proofing, a 12W adapter is the best bang for the buck.

Going above 18W won't bring much, if any, advantage for the relatively small batteries in iPhones.

Last edited:
Reactions: Agile55

Derzkin

macrumors newbie
May 27, 2015
30W+ on the iPhone side is only really useful if you have the Apple smart battery case, in which case both the iPhone and the smart battery case will fast charge at the same time. Otherwise, 18W is as much as the iPhone will pull, on the 8 series and newer.

Reactions: Aditya rathee

Aditya rathee

macrumors regular
May 1, 2019
India
30W+ on the iPhone side is only really useful if you have the Apple smart battery case, in which case both the iPhone and the smart battery case will fast charge at the same time. Otherwise, 18W is as much as the iPhone will pull, on the 8 series and newer.
Any idea about ipad air 3 2019
Can it make better use of 30w charger and can it pull out more as compared to an iphone ??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.