Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Einz

macrumors 6502
Feb 14, 2008
After hearing about 1.28 firmware working with Mazda. I finally got one from Amazon. It did fixed the 30 sec reboot on the firmware that came installed. I'll see how things go in the next few days of use. There doesn't seems to be OTA update yet. The USB update was painless. Once I figured out you need to rename the firmware to "U2W_Update.img".

mecutler

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2013
After hearing about 1.28 firmware working with Mazda. I finally got one from Amazon. It did fixed the 30 sec reboot on the firmware that came installed. I'll see how things go in the next few days of use. There doesn't seems to be OTA update yet. The USB update was painless. Once I figured out you need to rename the firmware to "U2W_Update.img".
I took a long drive in my 2019 Mazda Miata RF today, making several stops. The 1.28 update was flawless, except after I got home and unloaded the car, when I started the car to go to the garage, Carplay would not appear until I removed the dongle from the USB port and then re-inserted it. Still, I am happy at this point, after thirteen frustrating months of trying to get wireless CarPlay.

SuperMegaDrive

macrumors member
Jul 5, 2020
San Jose, CA
Has anyone tried living with the Joyauto plus? I’m not interested in screen mirroring, but mostly the ease of switching between phones, stability of CarPlay support, and speed of connection when starting the car.

I have a Carlinkit, but choosing the phone to connect is a real pain. It’s random most of the time, and the UI is ugly. I like the JoyAuto plus idea of replacing the ‘return to car’ icon with an extra menu screen to choose phones. Wish Carlinkit did this (and remembered the preference!)

Azazel1988

macrumors member
Dec 27, 2020
Hoy di un largo viaje en mi Mazda Miata RF 2019, haciendo varias paradas. La actualización 1.28 fue impecable, excepto después de que llegué a casa y descargué el auto, cuando lo encendí para ir al garaje, Carplay no aparecía hasta que quitaba el dongle del puerto USB y luego lo volvía a insertar. Aún así, estoy feliz en este punto, después de trece frustrantes meses de intentar obtener CarPlay inalámbrico.
Yo noté lo mismo. A veces, no se vuelve a conectar solo, tengo que desenchufar el dongle y volver a enchufarlo. Tal vez un retraso en el inicio ayudaría a que el dongle se reconecte

chollomaton

macrumors newbie
Jan 22, 2021
Yes, you can download the firmware from here.

Download this one - U2W_Update_2020.08.04.1602_ROLLBACK.img

Remove the _2020.08.04.1602_ROLLBACK from the file name so you are left with “U2W_Update.img” and place it on the root of a FAT32 USB Drive.

Put the Drive into the Adapter and power it up using a USB charger and not plugged into the car. It will flash red and green for a minute or so and turn solid red. Once it turns solid red, give it another minute and then plug the adapter back into your car without the USB drive attached.

You should now be on the August firmware.
2020.08.04.1602 WORKS FINE on my Ford Puma Sync 3.4

Very very thanks!

Zombie Woof

macrumors member
Oct 4, 2012
Still frustrated with my Volkswagen GTI 2017, sometimes gps and texts etc have sound other times it does not. Appears totally Random. Will keep trying new firmware, hoping they fix it.

Rajanna1

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2021
This is very informative thread.
I have a 2020 forester sport, 8 inch display without navigation.
If I am reading the thread correctly, It is recommended to use Carlinkit 2.0 adaptor and update the firmware.

But on amazon, there are plenty of hardware labeled as "Carlinkit 2.0 adaptor" under "carlinkstore" different for different car model. There isn't one for Subaru.

Are all same hardware with different firmware?

Should I just buy the one with less price?

Later install the custom firmware found in this thread?

Rajanna1

macrumors newbie
Feb 1, 2021
Good review. The described sound delay happens even without an adapter in my car. Indeed, screen mirroring is not very practical at the moment if you want to use it in combination with carplay (Ver.201031= Ver.YYMMDD).

Option 1: wireless carplay with undisturbed auto connect once set up (switching to the headunit interface and back to carplay works really well with shortcuts. Unfortunately if you quit carplay to get back to the dongle interface, the device will reboot when you start carplay again).

Option 2: screen mirroring, a media usb-stick and BT Audio/Phone calls via the dongle interface. So you won't loose audio playback through the car's speaker but you have to interact with the phone a lot more which we all should avoid while driving.

Edit: newest firmware (Ver.201225) should fix the issue (link from videojochen, it's joyeauto firmware, so likely with different bootanimation). Did not test it yet. File isn't recognized. Waiting for update manual from seller. Probably just have to rename the update file. That was the point when switching between carlinkit (U2W) and joyeauto (U2W_ZYD) software.
Update:
Seller send me a new firmware (Ver.210106) as a zip file (#5173 reveal the full image). Can confirm that there is a small difference in system_version.ini within the update .zip (CP-21 = ABUPDATE_FOTA_DEVICE=107_mj_abr_ty; MMB = ABUPDATE_FOTA_DEVICE=107_mj_abr_zyd). This time I won't experiment with "cross flashing" the device because the adapter is working fine and I have no connection issues. Though chances are high that you can switch to joyeauto or stock firmware if you swap the *.ini files.
Will report back, when firmware update was successful. Update was successful (kept motor running, just to prevent powerloss). Lag and audio delay almost nonexistent (see #5183). New setting: Powermode for CarPlay which increases snappiness but then requieres additional reboot to get back to the dongle ui.
Unfortunately no changes in terms of switching between AirPlay/PhoneCast and CarPlay with my Mazda MZD Connect. At least one reboot when starting carplay form dongle ui. (about 20sec. / after cold start the whole infotainment takes about 40sec. to display wireless CarPlay).

Here is my summary about wireless carplay devices (personal expercience and "research", will be updated when firmware upgrade of the new dongle is successful):

#1a CPlay2Air
- maybe the first branded wireless carplay dongle with marketing for USA/Europe
- software developed over time through carlinkit developers (car support has improved in the last few months)
- auto connect and multi user approach (possibilty to switch phones during start up)
- soldered USB-A cable to connect to headunit
- software updates with care due to low memory of the hardware (128MB RAM, 10MB rootFS)
- medium price (130$)

#1b JoyeAuto Wireless Dongle (WJUC-0)
- software almost identical to #1a (more colorful welcome screen)
- hardware almost identical (USB-A only with 2 options to connect to the headunit: directly or short adapter cable)
- software updates with care due to low memory of the hardware (128MB RAM, 10MB or 12.5MB rootFS)
- good product description (homepage with manuals, software downloads, tech support)
- medium to high price (110$ - 165$)

#1c Carlinkit 2.0
- Carlinkit seems to be the producer of #1a & #1b (software and car support identical)
- "upgraded" hardware almost identical to #1a, #1b (possibilty to change the connection cable and use USB Type C)
- software updates with care due to low memory of the hardware (128MB, 12.5MB rootFS)
- low to medium price (80$ - 120$)

#2a JoyeAuto MMB (WJUC-1) / 2b Carplay Media Box (CP-21, X100, Z6 Plus)*
- upgraded hardware compared to #1a,b,c (1GB RAM, 8GB Storage)
- possibilty to change the connection cable and use USB Type A or C
- android UI as base system to enable follwing features:
- wireless carplay auto connect with one phone (no interruption during boot)
- multi user approach possible but requires reboot (every time when changing from android UI to carplay, Ver.201031, behavior still on Ver.210106)
- screen mirroring (personal hotspot or wifi hotspot required)
- using an usb stick to watch movies/listen to music without a mobile connection
- BT audio and phone calls without carplay or headunit interface
- support for more cars by default (at least my first gen. mzd connect headunit)
- medium to high price (100$ - 175$)
Options

1) auto_update_pkg.zip
zip file + system_version.ini with new firmware date (only version without the device number mentioned above)
--> Update will start automatically

2) update_pkg.zip
zip file + system_version.ini with new firmware date
--> Confirmation before update is requiered (pop up window)

3) flash tool and *.img file
See post #5173

#3 Play2Air**
- premium feel
- small package
- possibilty to change the connection cable and use USB Type A or C
- quick boot time normal boot time (dca78 #5172)
- very high price (349$)

#4 Android AI Box*
- replaces carplay with a full android UI and apps (Android 7.0 or 9.0)
- upgraded hardware compared to #1-3 (2 or 4 GB RAM, 16 or 32GB Storage)
- high to very high price (200$ - 320 $ depending on specs)

Things to consider & unsolved problems:
- boot time for all devices about 20 - 50 seconds (depending on headunit)
- a very slight media delay (comparable to original wireless carplay solutions)
- not every carplay capable headunit is still supported.
- possibility to brick devices during software updates (power supply?)
- limited guarantee

*different resellers with same hardware and minor software modifications. Have to find out the producer yet. It could be AudioSources.
**I don't know much about the specs.

Credits to: @MrMister111 @VLud @jsm174 @fruitbat04 @KevinGrabher @josejrp @videojochen and many more
Can you also please comment on the wireless standard used in these adaptors?
Apple recommends 802.11AC 5Ghz, must of these devices uses 802.11n 5Ghz. this adds to latency in the display and also limits audio quality. Apple recommends to support at least AAC 256Kbps for audio, none of these adaptors do that, I think.

briancheng82

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2021
Hello, my first post here and I've tested some firmwares already. Driving a Kia Niro HEV 2020 model.

And yet another new version. 2021.01.30.1602

Link: http://112.74.112.110/mnt//downloads//2021-01-30//U2W_Update_2021.01.30.1602.img

Thanks VLud for the PHP script :)

U2W_Update_2020.11.10.2137 - good
U2W_Update_2020.12.10.1057 - good
U2W_Update_2021.01.08.1658 - reloads
U2W_Update_2021.01.20.1455 - not tested
U2W_Update_2021.01.28.1446 - testing, looks fine
U2W_Update_2021.01.30.1602 - not tested
Hi, first post here and thank you for all the great info!

I just purchased the carkitlink 2.0 and updated to the 2021.01.28 firmware but it doesn't connects to my Volvol XC90 2018. I just flashed this 01.30 firmware and so far it has been working no issues.

Thanks for posting this :)

Brian

Reactions: iscorpio

vosadrian

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2020
Hi All,

I have carlinkit 2.0. It runs great on my Porsche 718 running a friwmare from around middle of last year. I noticed someone said a recent firmware was working a Sony Head unit and want to test this on my sons car which has a sony head unit. Can I update directly to the latest from what I have, or do I have to go to some intermediate rollback firmware. Most people seem to be working with much later versions, so not sure if a large jump in fimrware is supported.

Cheers!

Einz

macrumors 6502
Feb 14, 2008
This is very informative thread.
I have a 2020 forester sport, 8 inch display without navigation.
If I am reading the thread correctly, It is recommended to use Carlinkit 2.0 adaptor and update the firmware.

But on amazon, there are plenty of hardware labeled as "Carlinkit 2.0 adaptor" under "carlinkstore" different for different car model. There isn't one for Subaru.

Are all same hardware with different firmware?

Should I just buy the one with less price?

Later install the custom firmware found in this thread?
I bought the cheapest one for my Mazda. I think the bluetooth name might be the only thing that is different. The Bluetooth name for the my device is VOLKSW.

Last edited:

coolio2004

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2011

I just purchased the carkitlink 2.0 and updated to the 2021.01.28 firmware but it doesn't connects to my Volvol XC90 2018. I just flashed this 01.30 firmware and so far it has been working no issues.

Brian
On my XC 40 T5 late 2021 build 2021.01.28 works fine.

Reactions: briancheng82

briancheng82

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2021
On my car it is so hard to connect. I have to reset the cplay2air. At first it works perfectly, I can see the maps and listen to music. But I can not reconnect after I turn of my car.
This is the exactly same problem I had with my Volvo. I reset and set it up and it works perfectly at the start then the next day it just won't reconnect. I had then flashed the 20210130 firmware and it fixed this issue, maybe you can give it a try too.

Mavro

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2020
Has anyone tried living with the Joyauto plus? I’m not interested in screen mirroring, but mostly the ease of switching between phones, stability of CarPlay support, and speed of connection when starting the car.

I have a Carlinkit, but choosing the phone to connect is a real pain. It’s random most of the time, and the UI is ugly. I like the JoyAuto plus idea of replacing the ‘return to car’ icon with an extra menu screen to choose phones. Wish Carlinkit did this (and remembered the preference!)
Hi, yes -- I have it. It's very good and the guy I've communicated with is very receptive. He has already fixed a few things and promises me that he'll fix the others (big one being cluster and other screens in vehicle currently don't display metadata). It's faster (at least for my vehicle) than all the others Carlinkit, CPlay2, etc. The only thing that keeps me from using it full time is the lack of metadata on the other screens in my vehicle -- once that update happens, I'm moving to it full time.

josejrp

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2008
No one is more surprised than me, but the 2021-01-28 firmware indeed appears to fix the Mazda issues on my MX-5. I've now used the Carlinkit on three trips all between 20-40 mins., and used Apple Podcasts, Waze, and Apple Music with no issues. I see there may be a new OTA firmware available today - 2021-02-02. I may also try that one since the 2021-01-28 was kinda unofficial, but I hope it doesn't break the Carlinkit again! I guess I can always go back to 2021-01-28 (if need be) since I upgraded to that one via USB stick.

Einz

macrumors 6502
Feb 14, 2008
Same here. It has been 2 days without any issue on my daily 40+ min commute each way in my CX-5.

D3ggy

macrumors 6502a
Mar 26, 2019

Brian

Brian

Do all your steering wheel controls work? Answering and ending calls plus the call showing in the display? I have a XC60 which has the same interface as the XC90

The 2021.01.28 build broke this for me so i had to roll back to 08.04

briancheng82

macrumors member
Feb 1, 2021
Brian

Do all your steering wheel controls work? Answering and ending calls plus the call showing in the display? I have a XC60 which has the same interface as the XC90

The 2021.01.28 build broke this for me so i had to roll back to 08.04
Hi D3ggy, yes all the steering wheel controls and Siri works. I also tried Waze, Google Maps and Spoitify, they all worked fine. I have just done the OTA update for the 2021.02.02 firmware and it seems to be fine as well :) The 2021.01.28 was a little buggy for me where sometimes it doesn't show my paired phones at start up, like my phones are not showing up on the "auto connect" screen. I have to unplug and replug to get it working again. Hopefully the 02.02 firmware will be better.

KevinGrabher

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2009
Hi D3ggy, yes all the steering wheel controls and Siri works. I also tried Waze, Google Maps and Spoitify, they all worked fine. I have just done the OTA update for the 2021.02.02 firmware and it seems to be fine as well :) The 2021.01.28 was a little buggy for me where sometimes it doesn't show my paired phones at start up, like my phones are not showing up on the "auto connect" screen. I have to unplug and replug to get it working again. Hopefully the 02.02 firmware will be better.

That 2021.02.02 filename sure is interesting, also only ~500kb

${"filePath":"\/mnt\/downloads\/2021-02-02\/U2W_Update_Piracy_2021.02.02.1037.img","fileSize":"571714","fileName":"U2W_Update.img","version":"2021.02.02.1037","updateTime":"2021-02-03 11:59:53","updateLog":"*Fixed some known issues."}

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.