Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bigtiger0905

macrumors newbie
Jan 11, 2021
i tried running custom script (U2W.sh)
#!/bin/sh if [ -e /usr/sbin/fakeiOSDevice ]; then cp /usr/sbin/fakeiOSDevice /tmp/ cd /tmp if [ -e /etc/log_com ]; then ./fakeiOSDevice 2>&1 | tee -a /tmp/userspace.log & elif [ -e /etc/log_file ]; then ./fakeiOSDevice >> /tmp/userspace.log 2>&1 & else ./fakeiOSDevice >> /dev/null 2>&1 & fi elif [ -e /usr/sbin/ARMadb-driver ]; then if [ -e /etc/log_com ]; then ARMadb-driver 2>&1 | tee -a /tmp/userspace.log & elif [ -e /etc/log_file ]; then ARMadb-driver >> /tmp/userspace.log 2>&1 & else ARMadb-driver >> /dev/null 2>&1 & fi fi if [ -e /usr/sbin/rtk_hciattach ]; then echo "Start load Bluetooth!!!" rtk_hciattach -s 115200 ttymxc2 rtk_h5 & fi sleep 2 echo "Start Carplay mdnsd!!!" mdnsd echo "Start Carplay IAP2&NCM driver!!!" /script/start_iap2_ncm.sh echo "Start NCM network" /script/start_ncm.sh if [ -e /usr/sbin/boa ]; then echo "Web Server Service!!!" mkdir -p /tmp/cgi-bin/ && cp /etc/boa/cgi-bin/* /tmp/cgi-bin/ boa fi #auto start wifi after some time for ota upgrade if [ -e /usr/sbin/fakeiOSDevice ]; then sleep 10 ifconfig | grep usb0 || /script/start_bluetooth_wifi.sh fi exit 0
and the output result (U2W.txt)
Start load Bluetooth!!! Realtek Bluetooth WARN: OP_H5_SYNC Transmission timeout Realtek Bluetooth WARN: OP_H5_SYNC Transmission timeout Realtek Bluetooth WARN: OP_H5_SYNC Transmission timeout [2020-01-02 00:13:27.75213]Realtek Bluetooth ERROR: Signature 30 0a 00 00 is incorrect [2020-01-02 00:13:27.81968]Realtek Bluetooth ERROR: Can't set line discipline 22, Invalid argument [2020-01-02 00:13:27.82125]Realtek Bluetooth ERROR: Can't initialize device 22, Invalid argument Start Carplay mdnsd!!! Start Carplay IAP2&NCM driver!!! Start NCM network Web Server Service!!! /script/start_bluetooth_wifi.sh: line 48: can't create /proc/sys/net/ipv6/conf/wlan0/disable_ipv6: nonexistent directory ifconfig: SIOCSIFADDR: No such device hostapd start process..... ioctl(SIOCGIFINDEX): No such device Configuration file: /etc/hostapd.conf Could not read interface wlan0 flags: No such device rtl871xdrv driver initialization failed. udhcpd start process..... mdnsd runing.....
I think this is the cause of bluetooth and wifi not showing up.
@VLud. can you tell me how to fix it.

TireGuy6

Suspended
Nov 8, 2017
@TireGuy6
I have the Red ui and Stock Firmware 2021.02.05.2216 (I only found 2021.02.02?)

I have download the custom FW 2021.03.06_BASED.
I copy the file on the USB stick but at mycarlinkit only red light shows. No update..
what am I doing wrong?

///Edit: OK it works. Now I have 2021.03.06_BASED Custom Firmware and your theme. Great!
Now if a new stock firmware comes, I have to wait until there is a new custom based firmware and can then update firmware and reinstall your theme? Right?

Are there also settings in the custom firmware as in the stick with CD / DVD, Automic connect and so on?
Sorry for my bad English :)

Do not upgrade to stock firmware, always stay on custom firmware.

Settings can be changed in http://192.168.50.2 other settings can be found in the settings screen.

if you change the version you will need to reinstall theme.

if everything works, leave it. if you have issues update. New firmware can bring new problems.

Reactions: T-Bone90

TireGuy6

Suspended
Nov 8, 2017
Yes... I do not yet know exactly how the update is triggered when the flash drive is plugged in. I have been trying to make sense of various shell scripts... so my optimism that this one file reference would be enough was misplaced.

Is there someone more familiar with the likely mechanism for reading updates who can comment - is this managed at firmware (BIOS) level or within the Android / Linux operating system?
i think its triggered when the dongle finds a usb stick plugged in with the correct filename of firmware to update. If file version > then it installs it.

ticruz

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2021
Got a CPLAY2AIR and it worked for a few minutes, then it stopped completely. Neither of its WiFi or Bluetooth networks show up anymore. Has anybody had any problem like this? It's essentially bricked and I can't even connect to it anymore.

jbn858273

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2018
Germany
i think its triggered when the dongle finds a usb stick plugged in with the correct filename of firmware to update. If file version > then it installs it.
You are right, but my question is what is the trigger - is the version simply read from /etc/software_version ? In which case my repackage of 2021.02.02.2110 including a replacement /etc/software_version that read 2021.03.28.1345 in order to displace 2021.03.06.1343 should have worked, but did not - tested by @Kevbert and me. Or somehow my package was not right, although I followed the directions from @VLud in his GitHub repository.

If we can solve this then we ought to be able to "roll back" everyone who is stuck on 2021.03.06 without wifi.

EDIT: I deleted the link to my synthetic package posted earlier since it does not work. I will repost if and when solved...

jbn858273

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2018
Germany
Got a CPLAY2AIR and it worked for a few minutes, then it stopped completely. Neither of its WiFi or Bluetooth networks show up anymore. Has anybody had any problem like this? It's essentially bricked and I can't even connect to it anymore.
Does the LED light up, and if so what colour? If no light then your device sounds like it is dead.

ticruz

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2021
Does the LED light up, and if so what colour? If no light then your device sounds like it is dead.
Thank you for answering.

It lights up briefly in the green color when connected to the car or a power brick. I've also attached a picture of my model.

Attachments

• Arquivo_000.jpeg
    Arquivo_000.jpeg
    516.9 KB · Views: 124

ByteCrawler

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2020
Thank you for answering.

It lights up briefly in the green color when connected to the car or a power brick. I've also attached a picture of my model.
I have this model. The RED LED should stay lit. If it's not staying lit when plugged into your car, the outlet might not be providing enough voltage.

Try plugging the dongle into an iPhone or Samsung power brick to see if it stays lit when plugged in to there.

EDIT: Sorry I meant RED LED.

Reactions: ticruz

ticruz

macrumors newbie
Mar 30, 2021
I have this model. The RED LED should stay lit. If it's not staying lit when plugged into your car, the outlet might not be providing enough voltage.

Try plugging the dongle into an iPhone or Samsung power brick to see if it stays lit when plugged in to there.

EDIT: Sorry I meant RED LED.
Plugged it into my iPhone's charger and no success. Only the green LED shows up for a second when I plug in, then it goes off.

ByteCrawler

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2020
Plugged it into my iPhone's charger and no success. Only the green LED shows up for a second when I plug in, then it goes off.
Sounds like something is up with it. Maybe try a USB flash, otherwise I'd reach out to the seller about this to start that process.

Also if anyone can figure out a way to run a "hardware" diag on these devices either by a script or some other method I think that would be beneficial in all this bug testing. A lot of issues get mentioned and some sound like legitimate hardware issues but without a way of doing a diag we're just guessing its the shoddy software. I've often questioned the hardware on my device, but without access to a known good vehicle I won't know until that opportunity comes along.

Reactions: ticruz

T-Bone90

macrumors newbie
Feb 8, 2018
Do not upgrade to stock firmware, always stay on custom firmware.

Settings can be changed in http://192.168.50.2 other settings can be found in the settings screen.

if you change the version you will need to reinstall theme.

if everything works, leave it. if you have issues update. New firmware can bring new problems.
Thank you!
One other question. How can I get to the settings screen when Carplay is already connected?192.168.50.2 ok, I mean the others settings.

TireGuy6

Suspended
Nov 8, 2017
You are right, but my question is what is the trigger - is the version simply read from /etc/software_version ? In which case my repackage of 2021.02.02.2110 including a replacement /etc/software_version that read 2021.03.28.1345 in order to displace 2021.03.06.1343 should have worked, but did not - tested by @Kevbert and me. Or somehow my package was not right, although I followed the directions from @VLud in his GitHub repository.

If we can solve this then we ought to be able to "roll back" everyone who is stuck on 2021.03.06 without wifi.

EDIT: I deleted the link to my synthetic package posted earlier since it does not work. I will repost if and when solved...

Your issue is I think that you are not tar balling it correctly.

Compare the .tar you are creating after changes to the decrypted tar. Use 7ZIP and you will see the structure is incorrect on yor new one. for some reason in the original it shows a /./ in the file path but you cannot have a folder called '.' this is why it isnt being recognized properly i think. not sure how to tarball it with a '/./'

TireGuy6

Suspended
Nov 8, 2017
Minor Update Released :

***** UPDATE *****
- Minor Update March 30th
- Added 'Back Button' on "Connecting..." screen for 1920/1280x720 resolution
- No changes to 800x480 - This version uses a 'Cancel' button instead, no changes made.

Revejin

macrumors newbie
Mar 21, 2021
Thanks @Kevbert ... I have to emphasise that this is use at your own risk. I have taken the U2W 2021.02.02 image, extracted it, and updated the file /etc/software_version to contain the string 2021.03.28.1345

Here goes:
  1. Download the file LINK DELETED TO AVOID CONFUSION BECAUSE FILE DOES NOT INSTALL
  2. Rename to U2W_Update.img
  3. Copy to empty USB flash drive formatted to FAT32
  4. Follow the usual instructions for updating the adapter from USB drive
Important note: @VLud states in his Github archive that before repacking the archive to run chown command. I was not able to do this either under MacOS or with a quick Linux Mint download.

Fingers strongly crossed!
Thank you for your effort. However, it is not working for my bricked device.. (Hardware error: Wifi)

ByteCrawler

macrumors newbie
Dec 27, 2020
Sounds like something is up with it. Maybe try a USB flash, otherwise I'd reach out to the seller about this to start that process.

Also if anyone can figure out a way to run a "hardware" diag on these devices either by a script or some other method I think that would be beneficial in all this bug testing. A lot of issues get mentioned and some sound like legitimate hardware issues but without a way of doing a diag we're just guessing its the shoddy software. I've often questioned the hardware on my device, but without access to a known good vehicle I won't know until that opportunity comes along.
So I brought the adapter over to a friend today because he has a Mazda CX-3, the adapter works just fine on that car. So at least I know it works! Now hoping it can work at some point on my Acura.

Einz

macrumors 6502
Feb 14, 2008
So I brought the adapter over to a friend today because he has a Mazda CX-3, the adapter works just fine on that car. So at least I know it works! Now hoping it can work at some point on my Acura.
Took them over a year to get it to work with Mazda.

simps100

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2012
UK
Not sure how much it helps the Ford sync people in the US as for some reason mine has always worked out my UK but I checked the Ford sync update site recently and there’s been a new build released for my car.

Siri still works with the adaptor but maybe worth a shot for some!

jbn858273

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2018
Germany
Your issue is I think that you are not tar balling it correctly.

Compare the .tar you are creating after changes to the decrypted tar. Use 7ZIP and you will see the structure is incorrect on yor new one. for some reason in the original it shows a /./ in the file path but you cannot have a folder called '.' this is why it isnt being recognized properly i think. not sure how to tarball it with a '/./'

I googled, and created the .tar.gz with the command "tar -C ~/U2W/2021.03.28.1345/U2W_Update -cvzf U2W_Update.tar.gz ./" run from ~/U2W, which seemed to include "/./" and then ran "php -f U2W_crypt.php U2W_Update.tar.gz" to create the .img file.

Sadly the resulting file still does not update my (spare) adapter that is running 2021.03.06.1343. I am at the limits of my knowledge here. I may try to PM @VLud who so far seems to be the only person who has repackaged the image.

PS: there is always the possibility that the packaging is working but that there is more to it than just changing the contents of /etc/software_version

EDIT: credit to @VLud for the PHP scripts.

Last edited:

radioboy77

macrumors member
Mar 10, 2021
Not sure how much it helps the Ford sync people in the US as for some reason mine has always worked out my UK but I checked the Ford sync update site recently and there’s been a new build released for my car.

Siri still works with the adaptor but maybe worth a shot for some!
Thanks - what build of SYNC are you on now? I'm on 20136 which was released for my vehicle about a month ago.

VLud

macrumors member
Oct 5, 2020
@jbn858273 : You misunderstand the issue with the last version .. as I already told earlier the problem is that they changed the binary un-obfuscating the firmware so the script is completely ignoring old images. Changing the version number is useless because it is not even checked, and packing a custom image using old obfuscation method obviously won't work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.