Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Jyby

Suspended
May 31, 2011
When the US starts dumping fill dirt and then building a military base in the middle of the ocean in an area that is disputed with several other countries and declaring it US territory with all the surrounding water and oil deposits then you have a case.

Tell that to the Native Americans who were systematically murdered and stripped of their land

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
There is a great bipartisan agreement here. However, if it can be turned into a Trump bashing, it will be. I am curious how many of these things will work.

Payment to the government, which is basically saying to China you are going to paid by MSFT but a bunch of that money we are keeping.
Microsoft will do it too because it’ll keep their foot in the door with those sweet government contracts.

dontwalkhand

macrumors 603
Jul 5, 2007
Phoenix, AZ
a little bit odd not being able to see how irregular this is:

1 trump (without justification) declares that HE will not allow this company to operate in the USA.
2 HE then tells Microsoft that HE will ALLOW microsoft to buy it (but no other company can make bids??)
3 HE tells Microsoft the they need to give money to the USA treasury in order to be allowed to buy it.
4 without blinking an eye Microsoft agrees to this

unusual?
what right does the USA treasury have to ANY money from this transaction?
what right does trump the dictator have to grant a monopoly to microsoft?

what is unusual is not being able to see just what is going down here.
Allowing MS to buy it is only going to fuel more of those Bill Gates conspiracies too....great....

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
Microsoft are not the best owner and steward for this app, given their own history - United States vs Microsoft Corp, Microsoft vs (European) Commission, and their aggressive copying of more successful software recently evidenced in Teams copying Slack. They just have the wallets, appetite, and aren’t Facebook or Google.

I’m under no illusion that Microsoft is some heroic company. However, it’s very important that all social media isn’t controlled by Facebook. It’s preferable for competition to limit their influence as opposed to breaking them up as they’d resist that for years. They’ve got so many politicians in their pocket that they are almost another branch of government.

Reactions: FaustsHausUK

barkomatic

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2008
Manhattan
Sounds like you don’t believe in competition- what’s wrong with China owning it?

I believe in competition except in cases where foreign ownership comprises national security—and that concern is bipartisan. China itself has blocked Google and Facebook in favor of domestic entities they control so they are hardly in a position to criticize on this issue.

techwhiz

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2010
Northern Ca.
Yeah but I don’t recall China ever forcing a highly successful US company to sell itself to China. It’s messed up how the US can force TilTok to sell 100% to US... And even more messed up Trump wants a cut of the sale for the federal government

Not selling but requiring the licensing a critical technology.
One of the reasons Intel wifi chips were not initially available in China is that they would have had to share IP with Chinese companies.
They may not force the sell, but often times require access that leads to theft of intellectual property.

Reactions: decypher44

psingh01

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
a little bit odd not being able to see how irregular this is:

1 trump (without justification) declares that HE will not allow this company to operate in the USA.
2 HE then tells Microsoft that HE will ALLOW microsoft to buy it (but no other company can make bids??)
3 HE tells Microsoft the they need to give money to the USA treasury in order to be allowed to buy it.
4 without blinking an eye Microsoft agrees to this

unusual?
what right does the USA treasury have to ANY money from this transaction?
what right does trump the dictator have to grant a monopoly to microsoft?

what is unusual is not being able to see just what is going down here.

It is not unusual for Donald Trump to say things or make claims that have no basis in the law. Just because he says so, doesn’t mean it is actually happening.

Reactions: quatermass

psingh01

macrumors 68000
Apr 19, 2004
That’s not illegal. What’s illegal is the Us forcing another countries company to sell to the US... Grindr was a Chinese company that the US forced to be sold to the US

They could have just exited the market if they didn’t want to sell. No one was forced to sell. Just like American companies have chosen to partner with local chinese companies to gain access.

techwhiz

macrumors 65816
Feb 22, 2010
Northern Ca.
well, there is a difference between theft and unfair. Eminent domain may be unfair, but it’s not theft.

Uh, in some cases it is.
When eminent domain is used to grab private land to give or sell to other private companies that might develop it differently is theft.
Eminent domain is only not theft if the government develops and holds the land afterward.

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008
Tell that to the Native Americans who were systematically murdered and stripped of their land
Please, give me something in the last 50 years
Better yet, how about the perpetrators are still alive and can be tried for their crimes
Don't get me started about Tibet and Uyghiurs either!
When the US starts rounding up minorities, forcing them into reeducation camps and forced abortion/sterilizing them TODAY, then you have a case

yaxomoxay

macrumors 604
Mar 3, 2010
Texas
Uh, in some cases it is.
When eminent domain is used to grab private land to give or sell to other private companies that might develop it differently is theft.
Eminent domain is only not theft if the government develops and holds the land afterward.

I am not defending eminent domain because I don't like it (I understand that in some extreme circumstances it might be needed, but now municipalities use it to build convention centers or, worse, stadiums), but again I'd argue that it's not theft.

russell_314

macrumors 603
Feb 10, 2019
USA
Please, give me something in the last 50 years
Better yet, how about the perpetrators are still alive and can be tried for their crimes
Don't get me started about Tibet and Uyghiurs either!
When the US starts rounding up minorities, forcing them into reeducation camps and forced abortion/sterilizing them TODAY, then you have a case
What happened to the native Americans was called war. Their land was taken by force. I don't know why every time someone does something people bring up "but the native Americans".... That's how wars work. I'm not saying it's right or wrong but rather irrelevant to the current situation and most situations where people bring it up lol

laz232

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2016
At a café near you
Yeah but I don’t recall China ever forcing a highly successful US company to sell itself to China. It’s messed up how the US can force TilTok to sell 100% to US... And even more messed up Trump wants a cut of the sale for the federal government

The USA is not forcing it to sell to a US company, they just don't want a Chinese owner... - they are free to leave the market: just as Apple does not have to sell its phones in China - but if they want to, then then have to comply to Chinese rules on banning VPN apps, Hong Kong Protest apps etc.

Make no mistake - this is tit-for-tat war that China fights as well - they have been acquiring key technologies in the EU and land in Africa...
NB these examples are from 2018 to avoid being part of the TikTok insanity....

But just as common as and perhaps even more important than hacking are legal or quasi-legal methods. Chinese companies are, according to one Defense Department report, “flooding Silicon Valley with cash” to simply acquire secrets. Two years before hacking Micron, the Chinese tried to buy it. This year, Chinese automaker Geely secretly bought 10 percent of German carmaking giant Daimler, using shell companies to avoid detection, with U.S.-based Morgan Stanley doing the banking work for the deal.

Chinese state-backed companies have access to a massive legal budget, which affords them the ability to use U.S. courts to destroy American business leaders who challenge unfair deals. As a counterterrorism official pointed out in April, “When you go to a board of directors or a CEO and say, “Hey, I know you have two bids, you have Cisco or Oracle, and then you have the Chinese company which is 40 percent cheaper,’ it’s hard to explain to them and hard for them to explain to their constituents that they’re going to pay 40 percent more for a U.S.-based company because it doesn’t threaten national security.”

In its latest annual survey, the American Chamber of Commerce in China found that almost half of its members feel foreign businesses are treated unfairly by the Chinese government compared with local ones.

They complain about regulations being inconsistently applied and continuing restrictions on their ability to invest across wide swathes of the economy.

Some recent Chinese deals have been blocked in the United States over national security concerns. But international business leaders have pointed out that Chinese companies are often able to carry out takeovers in Europe and North America in sectors that are off limits to foreign investors in China.

Chinese government officials have rejected accusations that foreign companies are treated unfairly and dismissed the findings of the US Trade Representative's report on intellectual property theft as "unfounded."

Beijing argues that any tech secrets that firms handed over in the country were part of deals that had been mutually agreed upon. And it insists that it is working to strengthen intellectual property protection in the country more broadly.

laz232

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2016
At a café near you
Uh, in some cases it is.
Eminent domain requires compensation - kind of different to theft. Now it may be argued that the compensation is inadequate, but it clearly is not the same as "theft"
Thus, requiring TikTok's sale is completely different to forced nationalisation.

laz232

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2016
At a café near you

Have you looked at Europe or Africa - 2000 BC to 1970?

Oh - and the Native americans were pretty violent against eachother before the slaughter by colonisation:
"Despite the myth that Aboriginals lived in happy harmony before the arrival of Europeans, war was central to the way of life of many First Nation cultures."

jicon

macrumors 6502a
Nov 29, 2004
Toronto, ON
They didn't build this virus - it was created by nature - by chance, that was in China. Maybe their bureaucracy could have dealt with it more swiftly, but that's all you can really blame the Chinese for. The US President is directly responsible for the outlandish number of deaths suffered here because of his many incompetent acts.

I'll give the US this... they have a lot of testing occurring now.

I don't directly blame the president for number of deaths, independent of the mind numbing comments made by him. The thing is that the US, Brazil, Mexico, UK, India lead in deaths. I'd argue along the lines of Bill Maher that it reads like an indicator of what nations have health problems. A good portion of that, obesity - a big factor in affecting covid death rates.

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008
I'll give the US this... they have a lot of testing occurring now.

I don't directly blame the president for number of deaths, independent of the mind numbing comments made by him. The thing is that the US, Brazil, Mexico, UK, India lead in deaths. I'd argue along the lines of Bill Maher that it reads like an indicator of what nations have health problems. A good portion of that, obesity - a big factor in affecting covid death rates.
We're one of the fattest and sickest people on earth with the least amount of exercise who eat the worst food and then you wonder why it's hitting us so bad.
Even here in libby coastal califonia where mask wearing is almost a religion, when walking to the market, there are dozens of people with their masks on with their noses exposed which completely defeats the purpose. Unless you're like China where you can lock people up without their consent when diagnosed with covid, we're continue getting spread. Americans do not follow the herd mentality as well as Asian countries do where even in pre-COVID times numerous people are wearing masks and everyone who does has their noses covered!

Reactions: jicon

jav6454

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2007
1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
It is absolutely appalling that people think some lunatic in charge of a nation can have a say in another countries businesses, and that doesn't just go for the USA. Way too much chest beating going on.
You mean the CCP banning Twitter, Facebook and Google. I am not in favor of Trump's policies regarding this app, but it's a tit for tat against the CCP. However, the CCP acts like they are so innocent.

jdawgnoonan

macrumors 6502a
Apr 22, 2007
Jefferson, WI
This is pure xenophobia on the part of the US government, and we are supposed to be better than this regardless of what China has done (stealing IP, banning Twitter).

FaustsHausUK

Contributor
Mar 11, 2010
Chicago, IL
I’m under no illusion that Microsoft is some heroic company. However, it’s very important that all social media isn’t controlled by Facebook. It’s preferable for competition to limit their influence as opposed to breaking them up as they’d resist that for years. They’ve got so many politicians in their pocket that they are almost another branch of government.

I absolutely agree with that - Facebook buying them would be the worst outcome. They're already firing up the copy-paste machine to imitate its features in Instagram I believe (a move they previously used on Snapchat to eat into its audience).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.