Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sound Evolution

macrumors 6502
Oct 30, 2007
Netherlands
You know, I don't usually respond to posts like this but you can take your "best regards" and ... ah ... never mind. It had something to do with the sun not shining and dealing with reflections and the like. I continue to buy Apple products because I like OS X. I'm not exaggerating when I say that the glossy screen makes it tough for me to work in some of the places I find myself and my computer. And I wasn't asking for the glossy screens to come to the laptop line. Quite frankly, you're the one who's exaggerating. "Everyone" didn't, nor do they, want these glossy screens. Some people like them. A lot do. I get that. You think they're "gorgeous."

I'm intelligent enough to realize that my opinion, and those of people like me, aren't everyone's opinions. Glossy is a big problem for me. It's not "whining." It's about choice and the ability to be as productive as possible in a variety of environments and lighting conditions. And yes, I've owned both glossy and matte. I'll take matte over glossy any time.

Dear works4me,

Of course you have a right on your own opinion. We all have personal preference. I never said you or anyone don't. My point was, that there are many posters out there as well, who just wine for wining. And I also do feel that people do talk each other into things. If enough people say glossy is bad, a whole group of people going to share that opinion as well, without even seeing, or using it in person. As much Apple fanboys love the product, as much they love it to see a opportunity to burn it down.

Of course there are people out there who really used/tried the glossy screen and truly dislike it. That is possible. And for those, yes it is sad.

But I think that Apple like no one else do some descent market research, and I think the gross of the people prefer the glossy screens. So the decision for Apple to produce this products is understandable and valid. It is a choice and we have to accept it if we like it or not. For those who hate the glossy, can only hope Apple ever bring matte back to the 15" and 13"

Ps: I really do remember reading every single tread about the upcoming MBP before the UMBP came out. I saw so many mock ups of designs with a glass design for the screen. Most people where wining that the old design is over and Apple need something new. Most mockups had a glass panel in the drawing and the reactions where very positive in general.

I am sorry you don't like glossy. I respect that of course.

With best regards,
Bas

bartelby

macrumors Core
Jun 16, 2004
Ha, you know no more than anyone else on here. Your just guessing, straight up.

I really hope people don't actually see TS' opinions for anything more than what they are, just opinions of someone who knows no more about what Apple is doing than any other person on this site. WWDC proved that...

I'm continually surprised it's not against rule number 9 of Instantly Bannable Offences:
Hoaxes. Purposely misleading other members to their detriment. Giving advice you know to be incorrect or harmful. Sensationalism.

It'd be interesting to know if anyone actually bought just before WWDC because Tallest Skill said there'd be no upgrades...

Works4Me

macrumors regular
Aug 29, 2007
Canada
Dear works4me,

Of course you have a right on your own opinion. We all have personal preference. I never said you or anyone don't. My point was, that there are many posters out there as well, who just wine for wining. And I also do feel that people do talk each other into things. If enough people say glossy is bad, a whole group of people going to share that opinion as well, without even seeing, or using it in person. As much Apple fanboys love the product, as much they love it to see a opportunity to burn it down.

Of course there are people out there who really used/tried the glossy screen and truly dislike it. That is possible. And for those, yes it is sad.

But I think that Apple like no one else do some descent market research, and I think the gross of the people prefer the glossy screens. So the decision for Apple to produce this products is understandable and valid. It is a choice and we have to accept it if we like it or not. For those who hate the glossy, can only hope Apple ever bring matte back to the 15" and 13"

Ps: I really do remember reading every single tread about the upcoming MBP before the UMBP came out. I saw so many mock ups of designs with a glass design for the screen. Most people where wining that the old design is over and Apple need something new. Most mockups had a glass panel in the drawing and the reactions where very positive in general.

I am sorry you don't like glossy. I respect that of course.

With best regards,
Bas

No problem. It just seemed t me like you were overstating things. :)

pdxflint

macrumors 68020
Aug 25, 2006
Oregon coast
It's interesting how many people seem to know what Apple's consumer research results are... but I'd certainly like to see any results of Apple's research about laptop display preferences which actually target various markets - consumer/home users, professional/commercial users - even broken down to types of businesses/functions. Just to get the real picture. My guess (only a guess here...) is that Apple is primarily going after the home/consumer user, the iPod/iPhone crowd, the college crowd, the slightly more affluent home consumer - just look at their ads. None are targeted at commercial/professional markets, not even in Mac publications. They sort of have taken that market for granted, but Photoshop and tons of creative apps actually work quite well on Windows platforms now, and Apple just isn't competing anymore in that world. Heck, Adobe doesn't even update their apps for Mac before they do for Windows - even for the consumer (PS Elements for example.)

What this tells me is that for the consumers Apple has gone for the snazzy first impression - slick stores, shiny computers, etc. They figure the pro crowd will just stick around due to OS X, which might be true. But, if they ever surveyed professional creatives (publishing, graphic arts, photography, web development, writing, advertising, etc..) about their display preferences, I honestly think you'd see a big split in favor of matte screens, while on the consumer side you'd see the opposite. Just my opinion, based on my own anecdotal experiences in the field. Which would mean that the "pro" line of laptops from Apple aren't really targeting the "pro" market at all (other than the 17" MBP or Mac Pro desktop line.) Yet, Apple realizes that the name Macbook "Pro" will make consumers feel better about their purchase, so they use it as a label.

Of course a professional can work with any tool that will do the job, even if it's not perfectly suited for it - I'm not making that arguement. A pro can use a Mac Mini or a Macbook, or a cheap Dell under many circumstances, but they're still not really "pro" tools. A pro mechanic can certainly use a cheap wrench from Walmart to tighten a nut, but will probably invest in better tools over the long haul that he can depend on (Snap-On, MAC, etc...) because they're proven to do the job and take the beating only professionals will generally give them day after day...

I'm one who hopes Apple will actually consider their professional market (the market that gave them legitimacy and hung in there with them when consumers certainly weren't doing it..) and actually listen to or survey them, and even if it costs a bit more, will offer additional options like the non-glare screen. It's a legitimate concern for a fair number of people, whether the naysayers and Apple newbies get it or not. But the only way this will happen is if enough people actually communicate with Apple. If you get surveyed at work, respond to it. I wouldn't be surprised if someone at Apple finally addresses this directly down the road. Again... this is only my opinion... :)

NC MacGuy

macrumors 603
Feb 9, 2005
The good side of the grass.
^^^^ And a good opinion it is, in my opinion.;)

There's now a 13" MBP with a better display and firewire. Coincidence? Those were two very big bitches a few months ago rectified. I agree 100%. Voice your opinions.

unagimiyagi

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
Almost every review on the standard tech websites comment about the lack of a matte option. I just find it very odd that so few people want a matte option, b/c the macrumors community is large enough to make it worthwhile for Apple to listen to us. I just don't see the financial disincentive to make this happen. You can already build to order your mbp from apple directly for a hard drive and the 17" antiglare option. Would it kill them add this option? It would be interesting if techrestore will release their sales numbers. $200 actually is a reasonable price for this service since replacing a panel yourself will cost you that much for the raw part on ebay...and replacing the glass bezel looks daunting.

MacDawg

Moderator emeritus
Mar 20, 2004
"Between the Hedges"
I'm still waiting for Tallest Skil's answer.

It was post #3 in the thread

Apple doesn't care about matte. End of discussion; there won't be any option for matte.

Woof, Woof - Dawg
pawprint.gif

HLdan

macrumors 603
Aug 22, 2007
Almost every review on the standard tech websites comment about the lack of a matte option. I just find it very odd that so few people want a matte option, b/c the macrumors community is large enough to make it worthwhile for Apple to listen to us..

:D:D:D:D I couldn't help but chuckle at that. How many people from MR do you think makes up the Mac community??? Come on dude, your post is complete nonsense. MR is not even 1/10th of 1% of Apple's user base. MR is largely made up of kids 12-18 years old that are geeks and just come here and post on their opinions which is generally made up of OCD posts all day. Apple's customer base that actually buy their Macs to USE could give a rats behind about coming here to voice their opinions about wanting matte screens, black colored Macbook Pros, certain model screens such as 9C8xxx or the latest and greatest GPU with SLI graphics. Apple would be out of business if they only had MR to answer to. :p

sparkie7

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 17, 2008
Thanks for all the responses guys. Pro Anti-glare users aren't asking  to replace the Glassy option. Just to provide an option to cover the rest of the users who need it. Also please keep this thread on topic..

And ask kindly for  to offer a AG BTO option here: :):D

http://www.apple.com/feedback/macbookpro.html

sparkie7

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 17, 2008
Ok, I have registered my Feedback. The first time ever as a Mac User and owner for 20 years. I realise now how strongly I feel about this :eek:

The Apple feedback submit form rounds off with this:

"Thank you for your feedback on the MacBook Pro.
We cannot respond to you personally, but please know that your message has been received and will be reviewed by the MacBook Pro Team. If we need to follow up with you on your ideas for improving the MacBook Pro, we will contact you directly.

We appreciate your assistance in making the MacBook Pro a great computer.

MacBook Pro Team
Apple"

I love that last sentence. They should perhaps re-write it saying..

We appreciate your assistance in making the MacBook Pro the best computer in the world.

Peace :D

Hal1980

macrumors member
Feb 25, 2009
By using the term "us", you are representing the 0.00000001% of the people that buy macs. Just because many people on this forum want them doesn't mean overall. The geek box is very small to the Mac user box.

I think you underestimate the number of people who want a matte option. On most of these apple sites (concededly not a representative sample) polls show that people prefer a matte option. I understand the consumer preference for the glassy mirror screen, but there is a signficant number of us who only can deal with a matte option.

If you are fine with the glass, great! You have what you want. But many of us feel neglected right now. The fact that so many people seem to be clamoring for a matte option just shows that we aren't a novelty but a sizeable number even if we aren't the majority. From a business perspective, I don't see what is wrong with Apple providing a BTO option and passing 100% of the cost to us as consumers buying the option.

Porco

macrumors 68040
Mar 28, 2005
I think Apple need to be a little more accommodating when it comes to people's preferences. I know that their design ethics are part of what make their products so good as they are, but there's always some options (whether it be how much RAM or the size of the Hard Disk etc), and I think a few more are entirely do-able without being too much of a compromise.

A matte screen option is a great example. As others have said, they'd be willing to pay extra if the option was there, so why don't Apple do it? As far as I can see it's not a technical obstacle, it's a decision based on other factors, such as:

1) It's not what Apple want you to have in design terms - they like how it looks, so you should too.
2) The only portable model with the matte screen option is the most expensive one.
3) Apple wanting to 'keeping the line simple' / 'not confuse people'.

For point 1), it's idealism gone too far - when you pay that much for a computer it should, to a reasonable extent, be about what the paying customer wants. If Apple want to buy my computer for me they can put whatever kind of screen they want on the thing, but if I'm paying big bucks I don't want them telling me that they know best even if I am wrong!

Point 2), the upselling, is something Apple have been good at for years and it's understandable from a business point of view. However, some people need a machine that isn't as physically big as the 17 inch, but still want the matte screen option. The fact they want a 13 or 15 inch machine might not be about the money at all, it might just be a totally practical consideration.

Point 3) gets repeated a lot, and I think probably has a grain of truth to it too, but I think it's a flawed reason. Apple could bury the option on some obscure page if they wanted, and the people who care about this stuff will usually be perfectly capable of determining whether they want a glossy or matte screen.

I think Apple could really make more money and satisfy more customers if they were just a little bit more flexible on issues like this - they don't need to totally undermine their design ethics, just understand that they don't have to be *quite* so strict with limited minimal options for people.

pooryou

macrumors 65816
Sep 28, 2007
NorCal
Matte or nothing.

At this point if I needed a laptop I would be forced to buy a PC, which is pathetic.

sparkie7

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Oct 17, 2008
Matte or nothing.

At this point if I needed a laptop I would be forced to buy a PC, which is pathetic.

I need a matte 13" badly, but not so bad that it meant I had to buy a Pee Cee LOL. with parallels and intel processors now there is simply no need to go there. THANK GOD

TheReef

macrumors 68000
Sep 30, 2007
NSW, Australia.
I read glossys calibrate well. Mines yet to arrive so I can find out what the fuss is all about :D, it doesn't matter to me though.

For the keen there's surely gotta be some sort of diy job out there. Anti-reflection sticky film?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.