Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

captain kaos

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2008
UK
No - it wasnt a dream .. go here for evidence folks ....

http://www.digmo.co.uk/mobile/iphone-payg-pricing-announced/

If they faff about and renege on this deal then what hope for O2's integrity in the future?

I know their Customer Service used to be THE worst when I had my XDA Exec ... a few years back - I was going to get the 3G iPhone and come off T-Mobile ...but now .. not so sure ... at least TMobile have excellent back up service ... anyone had recent of O2 and whether theyve improved after sales on the phone-help side over past two years?

I know it couldnt have got any worse at least!

phew!! I as panicing there for a moment! I think the white 16gb is in order! Seriously, if the put up those prices by mistake and they change it, there will be hell to pay!

abrooks

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2004
London, UK
wouldent that be falce advertizing if they changed the price now :cool:

No, retailers have the right to change the price of a product at any point before you contractually agree (when you pay). You could even pick an item off a shelf at Asda and by the time you walk to the checkout they could have changed the price.

False advertising would be selling you a car that says it has Air con and it doesn't.

nwlondonlad

macrumors 65816
Sep 20, 2007
UK London
Not quite.

For PAYG, you can only use the iPhone bundle. You cant buy the iPhone on it's own and use your own 02 PAYG sim, it has to be the one supplied with the iPhone and on the iPhone tariff.

Also, minimum top up is usually £5/10 so you cant top up '1p' as you suggest. Either way, that wouldn't work regardless.

I really hope your wrong about this as there will be quite a lot of people already on o2 pay and go who would just like to pop their old sim into the new iphone. I for one don't really care for the free 6 months free wifi. Just wanna pop my o2 simplicity sim into the 3G iphone and cross my fingers. If that doesn't work then i'll have to go down the unlocking route (again)

draperm25

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2007
Swansea
Hi All,

One thing i have noticed on the o2 website is that when you even check the Monthly contract part, when you click on the tariffs part, that dont even load?

What's happening?

Cabbit

macrumors 68020
Jan 30, 2006
Scotland
if you have a bad credit history perhaps you should be a bit more careful with your money than spending 300 quid on a phone!!!!!!!!

What if you have a great credit history but no one will give you credit because you have no bad credit.

Willis

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2006
Beds, UK
I really hope your wrong about this as there will be quite a lot of people already on o2 pay and go who would just like to pop their old sim into the new iphone. I for one don't really care for the free 6 months free wifi. Just wanna pop my o2 simplicity sim into the 3G iphone and cross my fingers. If that doesn't work then i'll have to go down the unlocking route (again)

Well, would you be able to explain the reason why they have those** PAYG tariff for the iPhone? :rolleyes:

Another reason I believe this is true is that it states (or did), if you are able to upgrade (oddly) you can gain a discount on the iPhone's cost or gain it in credit.

**The tariffs they offered were only, Favourite Place, Talkalotmore, Text Anytime, 02 unlimited and Your country. The Pay and Go Bolt On's werent an option.

Linky

They could prove me wrong and allow this, but my point earlier saying you can't top up 1p still stands. You would need to top up more.

draperm25

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2007
Swansea
Hi All,

I work for a major retailer and the minimum amount you can top-up with or get an e-voucher for o2 is £10 you could before get a £5 top-up but now its only Orange and Vodafone that still do a £5 top-up.

TonyHoyle

macrumors 6502a
Sep 14, 2007
Manchester, UK
This sounds like a dream deal for me - 99% of my iphone usage is browsing.. I need a phone in case someone needs to contact me, but rarely call out on it since it's cheaper to use the home/office phone. Buy the phone, do an initial topup and have unlimited browsing for 6 months? Sweet deal. And after 6 months I unlock and go to a better 3G network (O2's 3G network is only 1.8MBps and has poor coverage, so I wouldn't stick around unless that changed fairly radically).

I'm not sure I believe it though... It's too cheap.

sgd88

macrumors member
May 16, 2006
Anyone think that you'll be able to use a O2 simplicity (sim only) contract in these Pay As You Go iPhones?

I'm quite a heavy user of texts and minutes, and I'd have to get a very expensive iPhone contract if I was to get it on contract. But if I could get it on PAYG and use a SIM only contract (listed here: http://shop.o2.co.uk/tariffs/sim_only ) then it would be affordable.

How likely do you think it is that it will be possible to use them?

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Anyone think that you'll be able to use a O2 simplicity (sim only) contract in these Pay As You Go iPhones?

I want to know this as well, after all, simplicity users for the most part would be paying more than PAYG customers. So why not let simplicity users buy the phone at £300 and activate it to their simplicity tariff?

Only if they allow this will i consider iPhone 3G. Im just not a PAYG/18-month Contract person. Simplicity is all i know & love

MojoWill

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2008
What if you have a great credit history but no one will give you credit because you have no bad credit.

that makes no sense,

my point was that people where saying they would get the iPhone PAYG cos they had bad credit and couldnt get a contract phone.

my point was that if you have bad credit then surely using the 300 pounds to pay of angry creditors might be a better move than spending it on a high end consumer electronic, you have to live within your means, if you can't afford it don't get it.

DB2k

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2007
its a pain yes, but.. we dont know if its locked out on this iPhone too... you just never know. chances are it is.

I see .. the other responses were rather sure of themselves. I don't see what the point in giving a handset hsdpa is if you won't allow it to be a modem over bluetooth
fingers crossed!
thanks

Project

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2005
I don't see what the point in giving a handset hsdpa is if you won't allow it to be a modem over bluetooth
fingers crossed!
thanks

are you kidding? How about just plain better browsing speeds? perhaps 0.5% of all people tether their laptops to the phone modem.

a456

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2005
Only if you want free minutes and unlimited data ;).

The unlimited data is standard for six months and £10 thereafter, not tied to top-ups. You don't have to top-up at all is my understanding, but if you top-up in excess of £10 a month you receive a range of bonuses - for example you receive free minutes to use your phone from a registered address and free text messages. The way they explain it on their site is just confusing.

perhaps 0.5% of all people tether their laptops to the phone modem.

If you've ever tried doing it you'll know why, but if Apple can get it to just work then people would do this instead of buying a 3G dongle for their laptops.

Yossarian

macrumors member
Apr 3, 2005
If you've ever tried doing it you'll know why, but if Apple can get it to just work then people would do this instead of buying a 3G dongle for their laptops.

It is trivially easy with Personal Area Network devices (loads of Sony Ericssons HSDPA models...), the challenge for Apple is to make it as good as, for instance, a Sony Ericsson W890i.

captain kaos

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2008
UK
Perfect

Well i think O2 has used us on this one!

Think about it, what a perfect way to know your price point. Knowing full well how the romour sites work and how everyone is keeping an eye on the PAYG section of their site, they place the prices up for an hour or so, watch the fall out and then remove said prices. Now they know how to set their prices and gauge the reaction on the real price anounocment day!

Either that or someone has royally co*ked up!

badgerman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2008
PAYG or contract?

Well, would you be able to explain the reason why they have those** PAYG tariff for the iPhone? :rolleyes:

Another reason I believe this is true is that it states (or did), if you are able to upgrade (oddly) you can gain a discount on the iPhone's cost or gain it in credit.

**The tariffs they offered were only, Favourite Place, Talkalotmore, Text Anytime, 02 unlimited and Your country. The Pay and Go Bolt On's werent an option.

Linky

They could prove me wrong and allow this, but my point earlier saying you can't top up 1p still stands. You would need to top up more.

OK, so lets assume when O2 decide to put the costs/tariffs back up they are the same. :rolleyes: Also that you are elible for contract. And your comparing over 18months, so I guess have to assume that can upgrade to iphone 3.0 in 12months by starting a new contract - just for costing assumptions. ;)

Then if no bolt ons are possible and none of the iphone tariffs offered any anytime non-O2 UK call tarrifs (just the talkalot off peak). The standard cost to non o2 is 25p per min. Therefore if you make more than 14 calls a month longer than 3 mins during the day then your better off on contract? :eek:

£360 16GB, £120 data for 12m (after free 6m,) plus £10.5 pcm on those 14 calls for 18months (your would also get 300 uK texts) = £669.

Whilst cheapest contract is £735 (a difference of £66 over 18months).

Hence if you spend at least an additional £3.6 pcm (on other calls £66-18m). Plus the caveat of only topping up to nearest £10, but I am just working out actual spend (which sets the min) rather than top up. Then contract is the way to go?

I think. :confused:

koobcamuk

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
Can anybody answer this? Will someone on an o2 SIMplicity tariff, or someone in a current contract with o2 be able to put their SIM (provided its one of their 3G SIMs) in the new iPhone or do we think it will be tied to the supplied SIM??

You'll need to bypass activation. I did this with the original iPhone and my brother currently has it.

captain kaos

macrumors 65816
Jan 16, 2008
UK
Hear Hear ;)

I second that!

Im hoping that i can put in my contract O2 SIM in (that doesnt run out till Feb 2009) and then just add an unlimited data to it. BUT i do have a feeling that to stop any hacking they are going to tie the PAYG SIM that comes with the phone to the phone...also i suppose they'll know how much you top up so if you swap out the original SIM they'll know about it! Maybe a way to get around that is to put say £10-£20 on the PAYG SIM, swap it out to an O2 contract SIM, then if they ask you can argue that never really use the talk time or texts?

Thoughts??

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.