Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MillieWales

macrumors 6502
Sep 15, 2003
UK
10 quid a month for unlimited data doesn't sound too bad a deal, especially as 02 are allowing tethering, that's cheaper than most of the 'Mobile Broadband' dongles out there.

Do you have a source for that? I was under the impression they would not allow it, plus there was no way of connecting the iPhone to a laptop to use the data connection anyway. I would love for that not to be the case, I would make a lot of use of that!

DB2k

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2007
Do you have a source for that? I was under the impression they would not allow it, plus there was no way of connecting the iPhone to a laptop to use the data connection anyway. I would love for that not to be the case, I would make a lot of use of that!

why, does it not have bluetooth?

Willis

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2006
Beds, UK
Ok, you can top up whatever you want to top up. However, if you top up to those 'guidelines' they are the perks you get.

So you can put £20 on and leave it for 2 months, chances are, you will use it WAY before that time because you wont be able to use the benefits you would otherwise get.

Basically, they make more money out of you if you dont top up regulary than if you do. I still personally think the contract is the more attractive deal. After 6 months, I still have unlimited data without paying £10 a month.

badgerman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2008
Tarrifs

As I read the tariffs after 6 months you have to pay £10 just for the data this is not a top up so you dont get any of those offers or anything?

Hence people thinking they can only use £10 pcm cant use data and talk/text for this amount?

DB2k

macrumors regular
Feb 15, 2007
yes, but not for data transfer just to audio devices.

OMG. that's a deal breaker for me. Sometimes apple are just so pathetic. Worse than MS for locking things down. Really sad - they just lost £400 from me.

Willis

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2006
Beds, UK
As I read the tariffs after 6 months you have to pay £10 just for the data this is not a top up so you dont get any of those offers or anything?

Hence people thinking they can only use £10 pcm cant use data and talk/text for this amount?

Its £10 extra a month for data after the first 6 months. That will be subscription, so if you used £10 a month to top up, after 6 months, it would cost £20

Clear now?

Willis

macrumors 68020
Apr 23, 2006
Beds, UK
OMG. that's a deal breaker for me. Sometimes apple are just so pathetic. Worse than MS for locking things down. Really sad - they just lost £400 from me.

its a pain yes, but.. we dont know if its locked out on this iPhone too... you just never know. chances are it is.

Hdunlopclark

macrumors member
Nov 15, 2007
U.K.
I am assuming thats only to qualify for those addional "free mins/txt". They cant have a min amount of £10 can they? :confused:

You are 100% correct. To qualify for the deal like free texts you have to top up that much a month. You can go months without topping up just not get the mins or texts free.

Harry:apple:

badgerman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2008
Its £10 extra a month for data after the first 6 months. That will be subscription, so if you used £10 a month to top up, after 6 months, it would cost £20

Clear now?

Yep, so if I get the O2 home 100 bolt on, for £9.99 pcm & top up 1p I would get 100mins any time plus 300 txts anytime (cos iam over £10pcm). Then after 6 months I would pay the extra £10pcm for the data.

SO for £479 over 12months I would get a 16GB with 100mins, 300txts pcm & unlimited data? Not bad. :D

a456

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2005
Far more generous than I was expecting. So:

8 GB - £99 on 18 month contract (of £30) = £639 total before contract free

8 GB - £299 no contract (+ 12 x £10 for data to cover remainder of 18 months) = £419

So as long as I don't spend more than £220 on calls (£12.22 a month) over an 18 month period the Pay & Go is a better deal.

Sounds good to me and if you can stop and start data on a month by month basis even better - see how much I actually spend then opt in or opt out. Well done Apple/O2 with the pricing.

iMachine

macrumors newbie
Feb 12, 2008
The six months' free data offer is the clever bit, since that reduces the incentive for the phone to be unlocked (that is if it can be unlocked) for at least six months - you would lose your free 3G data allowance as a minimum if you used it on another network.

Also it makes the £299 price tag seem more reasonable as well, especially for very occasional phone users like myself :)

spinstorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 14, 2007
Yes it has gone.

It was most likely an error to put that information on so soon as it still said "coming soon" on the main page and it was only when you clicked on it that all the other information appeared!

Nevertheless we now know the pricing so its good!

badgerman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 9, 2008
is it just me or has all the info gone from the o2 site???

WTF???

iPhone is coming soon for Pay & Go

Customers will soon be able to enjoy all the great features of iPhone without a monthly contract with the iPhone for Pay & Go.

Just register your interest opposite and we'll drop you a line in early July to tell you what you need to do to be one of the first to get your hands on the new 3G iPhone.

More information on the new iPhone will be available shortly so come back in a few days or visit http://www.apple.com

redgaz26

macrumors 68020
Mar 6, 2007
Glasgow
if you click on the pay monthly bit and then the tarrifs thats also not working, something wrong with the site me thinks:confused:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.