Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

heidii

macrumors newbie
Aug 22, 2005
new mbp?

I ordered from the mentioned swiss university and i got the information, that my macbookpro will be send in 3 Weeks!? so i suppose there will be new models out soon, there is no reason that this should take so long otherwise. have fun speculating

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
Here We Go Again...

So now we're lucky to get them by Thanksgiving November 23?!?! :eek:

Seems like this is taking forever!

They are bound to have a huge supply for sale by then - that's gotta be for sure. Glad to read MacBook will go C2D simultaneously. I'm definitely leaning toward a simple white 2GHz C2D MacBook as I don't really use a mobile Mac much. But my mind could change if they really hit a home run with the new feature set of the MBP.

Hi everyone. Is this the new final stretch thread? That other one is getting pretty long in the tooth isn't it?

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
heidii said:
I ordered from the mentioned swiss university and i got the information, that my macbookpro will be send in 3 Weeks!? so i suppose there will be new models out soon, there is no reason that this should take so long otherwise. have fun speculating
There is a worldwide battery shortage because of a company named Sony. They still have millions of batterys to replace.

Websnapx2

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2003
I call bull***** on all of it. I was waiting for so long, then finally bought a refurb MBP for an amazing deal. New chips can come out (they won't till the santa rosa, but what ev) I won't care. I have a speedy little 2.16 Ghz 15" w/ 2Gb unless a 3Ghz comes out, any updates in the near future won't bother me, especially after seeing the minimal performance diff between core and core 2. I suggest anyone tired of waiting to check it out there will always be a rumor of one on the horizon, I'd rather get my work/play done. It's a beautiful machine.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Dont Hurt Me

macrumors 603
Dec 21, 2002
Yahooville S.C.
Its funny all this talk on Core2 when a computer has so many other parts. What about a GPU update? more standard memory? bigger drives? newer tech like the N standard in wireless, motherboard?:D

ToXicWaSTe

macrumors member
Sep 10, 2006
Denmark
Dont Hurt Me said:
Its funny all this talk on Core2 when a computer has so many other parts. What about a GPU update? more standard memory? bigger drives? newer tech like the N standard in wireless, motherboard?:D

The ideal thing to do would be Wait for Santa Rosa, make a new MBP with the new 800FSB Merom, a geforce go 8800, and of course OSX 10.5 :p Other then that add all the small details like, NAND flash harddrives and longer lasting battery. 4gigs of RAM and 802.11 a/b/g/n Wireless card.

I could all come true by march or april, and Apple might not want ATI to supply the GPU since they're with AMD now. But expect that the G8800 will be way too hot for a notebook system, any time soon.

Multimedia

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2001
Santa Cruz CA, Silicon Beach
HD Bay + Higher Res 17" Screen Are What I'm Waiting For

Dont Hurt Me said:
Yeah, I'm more interested in if there's an easy access HD Bay and 1920 x 1200 screen res 17" option.

timmillwood

macrumors 6502a
Apr 7, 2006
Multimedia said:
Yeah, I'm more interested in if there's an easy access HD Bay and 1920 x 1200 screen res 17" option.

i think the wait has gone one so long now all i want is C2D and some bugs ironed out

rkriheli

macrumors member
Dec 11, 2002
new york, ny
Multimedia said:

Same here. I would like to see an upgraded screen resolution. That would induce me to sell my powerCrook and go MBP. any other additions would be sweet (like fw800 on the 15").

scott523

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2006
Saint Charles, MO
Dont Hurt Me said:
Easy, nothing to talk about but this: Santa Rosa is 4-6 months away.
Sure MPB need some user-friendly swappable bays but I leaning towards the MB.

Websnapx2

macrumors 6502a
Apr 24, 2003
Dont Hurt Me said:

Also, though some companies are pushing their "n" wares, it's not a standard. I wouldn't want something that's going to need to be patched or replaced, besides, it's not really apple's style to be bleeding edge on a tech before it's a ratified standard (not on purpose anyway).

iRobo

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2006
https://buyersguide.macrumors.com//

Just a note. If you look at the average of the average time between updates you discover that there are, amongst all the products, a 192 days period between updates.

Currently only 177 days have passed since the last update to the MBP. Oct 26 would be Mac Expo in the UK. If they anounced then (185 days) and shipped one week later they would be at the average (192 exactly).

Also noting that major US and Euro retailers are out of stock or low on stock is also a fairly good indicator.

Finally, I think it would be pretty damn sad if after 192 days of updating they merely give us a .16 processor upgrade...

/4 cents and counting

baxterbrittle

macrumors regular
Nov 8, 2005
Expect 160GB HDD's as an option considering that they are already available for the macmini. Higher res screen could be on the cards too. Here is what I half expect for MBP:

1 15" model 1 17" and maybe a 13/12 or whatever small machine (though they may just make a more high end MB). Lots more config options ala MP with more screen, GPU and HDD options. Probably new casing of sorts (magnetic latch etc. accessable HDD's).

MB's will probably become 2 configs only. Black and white available on the higher end (now at the same price). Probably no combo model. No real changes for the MB other than C2D and reshuffle of models.

Just my thoughts.

da5id

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2006
iRobo said:
https://buyersguide.macrumors.com//

Just a note. If you look at the average of the average time between updates you discover that there are, amongst all the products, a 192 days period between updates.

Currently only 177 days have passed since the last update to the MBP. Oct 26 would be Mac Expo in the UK. If they anounced then (185 days) and shipped one week later they would be at the average (192 exactly).

Also noting that major US and Euro retailers are out of stock or low on stock is also a fairly good indicator.

Finally, I think it would be pretty damn sad if after 192 days of updating they merely give us a .16 processor upgrade...

/4 cents and counting

If you look at the old Powerbook update cycle, they were, on average 185 days. And you are correct in this regard. However, this new average of 177 for MBP is not accurate, as it was reset when the 17 inch MBP was released (with no 15 upgrade). The last time the Macbook 15 inch was announced in January and shipped later...so it's never really been updated.

EDIT: They were speedbumped May 2006 to 2.0 GHz/2.16 GHz. Still a long time.

neptuna

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2006
i just wish that they would hurry up and release the updates. i've been waiting FOREVER for a new macbook!!! :mad:

bdj21ya

macrumors 6502a
Sep 13, 2006
da5id said:
If you look at the old Powerbook update cycle, they were, on average 185 days. And you are correct in this regard. However, this new average of 177 for MBP is not accurate, as it was reset when the 17 inch MBP was released (with no 15 upgrade). The last time the Macbook 15 inch was announced in January and shipped later...so it's never really been updated.

It has, it got a speed bump. Call it a lame upgrade, but it's an upgrade nonetheless.

ThunderLounge

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2006
I still don't get all the "buzz" around the term "Santa Rosa".

Apple has yet to convince me that they will use the entire platform as it would be released, and brand the line as "Centrino" (or whatever the actual name change will be) inside.

While I do personally believe they will use the same standards, or higher ones, I just can't see them simply dropping it into the line as is. What would that accomplish? A glorified, overpriced PC laptop that can run OS X? I can't see that happening. If that were the case then the current lines would be "Centrino" wouldn't they?

I see it more likely for them to use some of the platform (chipset, NAND, etc), and also implement additional Apple-only specs as well. Something that sets them apart internally, and also makes it better. What exactly, I have no idea. But I can't just simply see them matching up hardware by dumping in SR as it stands. I can see them taking an idea and building on it to make a better product though.

Not to forget that with 10.5 around the corner as well, I wouldn't be a bit surprised if somehow the OS and hardware under the hood had some sort of system to assist in preventing it being run on hardware other than Apple's.

What does have my interest piqued, is the comment from Intel last month in regards to just recently finishing up working with Apple on the MB/P.

Really? Why would Apple need to do that if it were only a simple chip swap? Could there be something else coming down the pipe? Updated chipset maybe? Improved this or that? What would require or make it a good idea to work directly with Intel for the next update(s)? Not a heating issue, as Apple's own engineers should be able to figure that one out (at least they darn well better be for what their salary probably is). New graphics integration, or some other new thing? In my mind, it has to be something very interesting to justify the working together on it.

Then again the comment could have been an overstatement on Intel's part to show the community they are committed to helping out their clients as well. The actual amount of interaction may have been limited to nothing but specs and data exchange in terms of operational data such as CPU temps, performance, and other feedback for Intel to use later down the road for other chips. However, I still think there's more to it than that.

I guess we'll find out in time though.

da5id

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2006
bdj21ya said:
It has, it got a speed bump. Call it a lame upgrade, but it's an upgrade nonetheless.

Yup. You're right. It was speedbumped last May.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.