CorePlayer is no more! RIP

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by Veinticinco, Jul 1, 2012.

1. G4TheWin macrumors member

Do you expect it to be done any time soon now? :D

2. Wildy macrumors 6502

Sadly (for me) I will be getting a new laptop soon, so I got half way through the conversion job, gave up, and reversed all my changes. The PowerBook has earned itself an easier life serving up audio at home.

Like I said, most of this is new to me, so progress is slow. I'll get some more updates soon hopefully.

3. bakuDD, Dec 25, 2013
    Last edited: Dec 25, 2013
  4. CharlieFrown macrumors newbie

regarding CorePlayer, is there any chance we could chip in for source code of this player or maybe some kind of reverse-rengineering bounty? I guess it's just a matter of money. Look what they did in Amiga community, they paid one guy to port the entire OS (MorphOS) to G5. It would definitely prolong the life of these old PPC machines.

5. Imixmuan macrumors 6502

Very smart...

....people are trying, or have tried and given up cracking Coreplayer for the Mac. So far, its a no go. Reverse engineering a codec is very challenging I would think. VLC 2.0 and above has excellent codec support, almost but not quite in Coreplayer land. I had Coreplayer on an ibook G4 and it was cool and all, but....if you really want or need 1080p playback, buy a cheap PC laptop, or Raspberry Pi or Android TV stick and spare the CPU on your PowerMac.

Cause at this point they aren't getting any younger, and every CPU has a finite amount of work it can do before it grows wings and goes to the big RISC house in the sky.

6. ifrit05 macrumors regular

ifrit05

That was beautiful.

7. lotvai77 macrumors newbie

Dear All,

Just for the fun I am also very much interested in Coreplayer performance on my ibook g4. Unfortunately I can not get a copy of the application anywhere. I do know that it requires a license to work, however I have some previous experience in making some applications "overcome" such issues. So I would very much appreciate if somebody could send me a copy of their installation so I could have a closer look on what can be done. I would be happy to share the results with the community.

8. skinniezinho macrumors 65816

You have pm.

9. lotvai77 macrumors newbie

Thank you! You have pm also.

10. macmannate macrumors regular

what os are you running?, Ps keep up the epic work dude!

11. lotvai77 macrumors newbie

Hi, we are still searching for the application. Anyone willing to share the install package or knows a place to get it?

12. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

The problem with CorePlayer is that each application is uniquely set for your Mac's serial number. This means that even if you got a copy of it, it won't launch because the Mac's serial number is different.

13. Beavix macrumors 6502a

Beavix

Is anyone still working on cracking CorePlayer? I have three licenses for my Macs, I can donate them in the name of science. :)

14. Dronecatcher macrumors 68030

Dronecatcher

Anybody know why the developer doesn't reinstate this or make available in some way? Surely they must be aware of it's legendary status among PPC users and also be aware we'd pay to have the best movie player back?

15. Beavix macrumors 6502a

Beavix

I don't think they're alive anymore...

16. Dronecatcher macrumors 68030

Dronecatcher

Not literally I hope?

Anyhow I've just emailed them to see what the chances are of bringing it back as commercial software.

17. Beavix macrumors 6502a

Beavix

I donated my CorePlayer serial numbers and the app to Macintosh Garden. If anybody wants to try cracking it, you'll find it here.

18. Dronecatcher macrumors 68030

Dronecatcher

Thanks for that...here's hoping some bright spark can crack that algorithm!
    Pity the developers can't wake up and sell Coreplayer again - the PPC crowd is a guaranteed market.

19. CooperBox macrumors 6502a

CooperBox

If it's anywhere as good as it sounds, I'd certainly break open Granny's piggy bank to get a copy of CorePlayer if it ever re-surfaces.

20. Beavix macrumors 6502a

Beavix

21. Dronecatcher macrumors 68030

Dronecatcher

22. saxfun macrumors newbie

saxfun

AHHHHH, i bought that in the past, but i sold my Powerbook DLDS 17'', but this is absolutely GREAT!!!!!

23. bobesch, Apr 5, 2016
    Last edited: Apr 11, 2016

bobesch macrumors 65816

bobesch

Wow. Outstanding performance compared to Quicktime on my PBG4-1.5GHz.
    Many thanks for the link.
    I once bought a copy of CorePlayer for my PalmPro with WinMob6.5 (which still serves as a multifunction 3G/WLAN/USB connector...)
    Nice to see CorePlayer revived now for (my) PPCs.

24. Dronecatcher macrumors 68030

Dronecatcher

Same here - I bought it for my Palm Tungsten and XDA Pocket PC years ago along with all sorts of other apps you just expect for free nowadays :)