Date Bug in iOS 11.1.2 Causing Crash Loop on iPhones as December 2 Hits [Updated]

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Dec 1, 2017.

1. EM2013 macrumors 65816

EM2013

Who the heck is in charge of software at Apple!? Getting worse and worse with every update, but hey at least we have emojis and animojis.

2. ike1707 macrumors 6502

Sad, the worst- maybe ever

3. jdillings macrumors 68000

I never thought I would say it but Craig Federighi needs to be fired over the continual IOS and MacOS problems. Tim can't continue to stick his head in the ground and pretend this issue will go away.

4. CaTOAGU macrumors 6502a

Sigh. The fact nothing really went wrong with y2k isn’t because there wasn’t a serious underlying issue, it’s because of the hard work of a lot of engineers who fixed the many bugs that were found.

5. R3k macrumors 6502a

Things are more stable these days than they have ever been before...seriously. It’s impressive.

6. ivan_k Contributor

ivan_k

And there is basically no way to not have a buggy iOS experience if you are in a yearly September/October upgrade cicle, being a loyal customer who brings most money to the company.

Seems like Apple is pushing us to upgrade less and I guess voting with the wallet is the only way to show the company where its cutting the corners. This is pretty much the reason why I went from 7 Plus to 8 Plus, but not X (seeing how many things are cut there in regards of hardware and software experience).

After owning all the Plus models of the iPhone I can say that 7 Plus (black) is deffinately my favorite. It has seemless design (antennas basically are invisible), it feels just as fast as 8 Plus, it is not a finger print magnet (unlike space grey 8 Plus), a bit lighter than 8 Plus and is nicer to hold, because the sides and the back is one sheet of material (where on the 8 the gap between the glas and the sides is deffinately felt, especially by the lower finger which supports the phone when you type).

The reason why I upgraded was the stupid habbit of doing so each year, which was rationaled by the lowlight camera improvements and true tone display. It really feels like I should of stick to 7 Plus and skip the upgrades alltogether this year.

Can’t wait to see all the new “top notch” iPhones next year :-/

7. Eorlas macrumors 6502

what is there to confirm? Apple is already giving workaround support based upon the issue.

panic in the streets? you're being dramatic about people's reaction to it, which is mostly that Apple's QC on software updates isn't high, and that's really not a mistake. iOS 11 has not been without a nice plethora of issues. 10.13 has had its fair chunk of high profile issues, and in the last week their fix to a critical security issue also needs a fix for the next major issue it created.

iPhones were stopping because people tried to use them when it was cold outside. i have not experienced random resprings of my devices before except for iOS 11 and when I jailbroke.

we like to tell people the marriage between iOS and its hardware makes our experience superior to android, yet iOS' feature-set compared to previous jailbreaks is still lackluster and right now the image being shown is that iOS and macOS are being held together with duct tape.

8. ike1707 macrumors 6502

What are they *loosening?

9. TrenttonY macrumors 6502a

Hmmm this exact thing happened to Apple 25 years ago.....

10. justiny Contributor

justiny

Wow, you guys are being way too dramatic about this.

11. M2M macrumors 6502

M2M

3 bugs in 3 days which make it public news ? Way to go Apple. Well at least new emojis and Animoji are doing great. Right ?

12. thadoggfather, Dec 1, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2017

thadoggfather macrumors G3

thadoggfather

I feel bad for support

GUARANTEED they wont get comped properly/additionally for the added stress and hysterical influx of requests from this due to sloppy wreckless development. Something we’ve been complaining about for SOME time now.

[?] is going on at Cupertino? Is Tim melting down over this administration? And just chilling on his iPad all day instead of getting work done and cracking the whip?

And Jony Ive called 7+ disconnected in design, lol! Writing off 7/8(+), models still being sold

13. TrenttonY macrumors 6502a

iOS 11 change to notification center has been overall the sorest change for me. It laggy when you have 3 or more notification in it. and that stupid ‘swipe up’ to view older notifications is so annoying.

14. thadoggfather macrumors G3

thadoggfather

15. TrenttonY macrumors 6502a

I hope this is sarcasm, because some people on here seriously think that...

16. calstanford macrumors member

This happens when you have management running the show who is NOT a product or engineering person. Sorry but that's just how it is. Culture starts from the top and trickles down in large corporations and Apple is a pure sales/marketing culture now, not a product/engineering/marketing one like it used to be.

17. R3k macrumors 6502a

Not at all. As someone who started around the days of win95 and Pre X Mac OS and have followed tech to this point, yeah, I’m dismayed sometimes how people don’t realize how good things are these days.

Edit: started fixing things I mean.

18. btrach144 macrumors 65816

btrach144

Android is starting to look like the stable platform now.

WTF Apple?

19. qawes macrumors 6502

qawes

20. msandersen macrumors regular

msandersen

Finally got an answer to what was up,with my wife’s iPad Minis. Googled this morning and checked Macrumors if anything was known about this, and didn’t find anything.

My wife has 2 iPad Mini 2s, one bought new when it came out, one 2nd hand when she had screen issues with the first, it is that important to her (she’s on a disability pension and spends a lot of time in bed). Both affected from this morning here in Sydney, Australia, though she was up til 2am without issue. Our phones and my iPad Pro is unaffected. My wife was so frantic she was considering sending me to the city to get a new Mini 4.
    Her main iPad is on iOS 11.1.2, and the other is on 11.0.3, both affected identically with constant respringing. Once the clock was put back and the iPads restarted, they worked fine again. Simply changing the clock without restarting doesn’t prevent it, nor does setting the clock forward.

21. qawes macrumors 6502

qawes

Really?

22. idark77 macrumors 6502

idark77

Thanks Apple for all these bugs, we never forget...

23. haruhiko macrumors 601

haruhiko

Not dramatic at all when you find a few of your iOS devices repeatedly rebooting in a 1 minute interval.

24. stevesmynametoo macrumors member

I am turning my phone off and not charging. Glad I saw this before bed. What a mess for all the people who won’t know this until morning. Will wait for fix before I turn it back on. Changing date plays havoc with all your calendars. IOS 11 has been a mess, yesterday it erased my voicemails, took a few tricks to get them back. Apple is not what it used to be, hate to say it, as I am a true Apple boy!

25. justiny, Dec 1, 2017
    Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2017

justiny Contributor

justiny

Apple also used to be a company that almost filed for bankruptcy and is now on the verge of being a trillion dollar company for the first time in modern history.

No offense, but I don’t think they’re looking for your advice.