Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

yegon

macrumors 68040
Oct 20, 2007
No bad thing if this were true, the 5S was a stupendous design. I'm all in with Plus sized phones these days but I still admire the design and, strictly as a phone, that design eclipses its successors imo.

majkom

macrumors 68000
May 3, 2011
All i want to know: A9? 2GB ram? better camera? new touch id? type of display... if all are yes and display is ipad air2 like, I am in... and of course, 64GB capacity...

Reactions: S G

SuperHamster

macrumors member
Nov 18, 2015
Cambridge
Well, I don't really care what it looks like, as long as it is an Apple-branded device that comes in a beautiful white box with silver print, I'll get it without a second thought, just like my previous stuff. "The beauty is not in the innards, but in the wrapping". :D
I'm a little miffed by the "5" though, feels like a step backwards from my 6, 6+, 6s and 6s+. I could go with something like "6-" but "5" just feels so wrong. :(

Last edited:

mscice

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2009
Best size is the 4" for one handed use... the feel in hand also amazing, you dont get that slippery feeling, of the phone falling out of your hands...

Reactions: -earthmover

bobob

macrumors 68040
Jan 11, 2008
Best size is the 4" for one handed use... the feel in hand also amazing, you dont get that slippery feeling, of the phone falling out of your hands...
A lot of that was those beautiful diamond-polished chamfered edges on the 5/5s.

My bet is that Jony Ive is getting tired of listening to all the "bar of soap" talk for the past two years and will become a reborn chamfer believer with the 7.

iPhone5.091212.A5.jpeg

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
A lot of that was those beautiful diamond-polished chamfered edges on the 5/5s.

My bet is that Jony Ive is getting tired of listening to all the "bar of soap" talk for the past two years and will become a reborn chamfer believer with the 7.

iPhone5.091212.A5.jpeg
also a design flaw for coating sticking to the corners of the chamfer. Chipping was super easy on those phones. Especially the all black model. looked like **** after 6 months

Keane16

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2007
Worth repeating,
1. Apple should really stop all these leaks on forthcoming products. Would be nice to receive a genuine surprise at the launch events.
2. Apple also needs to rethink its multiple model names strategy. 5se??? Is this a blast from the past? If that's truly the direction Apple is going--multiple models with different names and features--goodbye simplicity and hello again to the late 1980s and early 1990s mess that was multiple Mac models. iPhone 7 in three sizes please with identical features. Simple for customers, better for developers to program.
3. Apple catered to the design savvy crowd a decade ago. Apple has been on a mission in the past few years to go for the other part of the untapped market which is defined by those with no taste. Protruding camera, terribly obvious antenna lines (ie gold, rose gold) and a range of tacky colours are hallmarks of this mission. Happy to hang on to my ageing five year old iPhone until a better design presents.

1. Staying off sites like MacRumors would be a start. However Apple is just too big now, even regular press report rumours.

2. Yeah not a fan of 5se, but we'll see what gets released. I don't think the product lines are too complicated though. I think the "5se" will replace the 5s. Then when the 7 is released the 6 goes away to be replaced by the 6s in the lineup. Leaving us with: "5se" - 6s - 7 going into the holiday season. We'll see though.

3. I saw a report a while back that said 87% percent of iPhone users have a case. Therefore the protruded camera is really not an issue for most iPhone users. Jony Ive talked about the design choice in depth - it wasn't off the cuff. He called it "pragmatic". If nearly 9 out of 10 users are not going to have an issue with the protruding lens then you have to say he made the right decision - regardless of how much noise the MacRumors faithful make. Let's hope the dual camera rumours are true for the iPhone 7 and we can get a flush design back for people like me who go caseless.

RE: the "tacky colours"... What is tacky in the west is popular in the east. With China being more and more important you better get used to it. It not like they took away the standard colours when they released the newer ones, so not sure why it bothers you.

-------------------------------

Depends on the size of your hands.

For me the perfect size would be is 4.3" - but I'll never get that so it's choice between 4" and 4.7". A taller friend prefers the 4.7" screen size - for him it's fine for 1 handed use.

Also as phoneS get slimmer you can use larger screens 1 handed.

One size does not fit all.

Last edited:

bobob

macrumors 68040
Jan 11, 2008
also a design flaw for coating sticking to the corners of the chamfer. Chipping was super easy on those phones. Especially the all black model. looked like **** after 6 months
My 5 still looks great 3.5 years later, and I used it bareback for the first 2.5 years before passing it down to a family member who now keeps it in a Lifeproof case.

KJL3000

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2010
with the same dimensions as the 5s, there is little reason to reposition the power button, since it was only moved on the larger iPhone 6 /plus to be reachable... And there will be no protruding camera, this is something apple will definitely avoid in all future iPhones... I hope.

albusseverus

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2007
So they design something they've already got. Sounds stupid.

At least with the 5c they made an effort to make it look new. And frankly I knew plenty of ordinary customers who wanted to upgrade their 5 to a 5c just because it looked cool. They don't care about specs.

I have trouble believing it will have updated processor etc - that won't save much on price, not that Apple ever makes a cheap phone, but a 4" 6 design would have looked modern, felt slimmer in the hand and had a nice rounded screen, not 2012 retro. If they make it Black, not Space-ANYTHING, that would be an improvement, like the original 5.

The joke is, anyone who comes in for this will immediately be told their years of iPhone photos won't fit on the device and be upsold to something newer. Can you really make a whole line of phone just to get customers in the door so they can be upsold??

And how does any of these justify a media event
  • a 4 year old phone design
  • the iPad Air upgrade that should have happened last September, (der, still wondering why iPad sales are in the toilet?)
  • new watch bands, possibly new faces for a slow and clunky gen 1 watch
  • a faster MacBook

Maybe Schiller can grab all these and jump in a clear tank of water in his Speedos to prove they're water resistant. You got me 9to5/Patch, what the hell is going on here?

x-evil-x

macrumors 603
Jul 13, 2008
My 5 still looks great 3.5 years later, and I used it bareback for the first 2.5 years before passing it down to a family member who now keeps it in a Lifeproof case.
http://www.extremetech.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/09/iphone-5-scuffs-2.jpg
That was all too common with the majority of phones i looked at. friends and mine(i tested it and returned it for a white one after 2 weeks). There wasn't one phone of my friends that didn't have some chipping. So you are lucky. It was more common on the 5. i don't remember seeing it too much on the 5s

bobob

macrumors 68040
Jan 11, 2008

HoosBruce

macrumors 6502a
Oct 21, 2013
I'm still wondering what they're REALLY going to be announcing at this event. The 5SE is good and all, but there doesn't seem to be anything to it that they haven't exhausted stage time on before...same with the iPad Air 3. Plus, new Apple Watch bands? I mean I guess they could waste 10 minutes or so on that NATO-style band I would never buy.

Suspended
Jul 11, 2006
Somewhere
no one will be happy with it unless it has at least 40 hours of battery life.....
As long as it makes it through a full day of use most people will be happy. Hopefully they take the time to make the specs equivalent to the 7 instead of crippling it with old hardware like most android makers do with their mini versions of their phones.

mike2413088

Suspended
Jun 2, 2015
New York, USA
Is it me, or does this seem like a boring announcement like the event in September?

I own 500 shares of Apple Stock, and the type(s) of new products Tim Cook has been unveiling as of late are rather disappointing.

The funny part is, even though I own Apple Stock, I still own a Note 5 as my primary phone. "Why?," Do you ask? It is because the iPhone has been nothing but little incremental improvements every year, mostly software related. The biggest change to the iPhone since 2010 has been the screen size, not even the screen technology.

Someone should tell Tim Cook it's okay to take risks with new technology before he ends up sacked. I know I would vote for him to be gone at this point in time.

[doublepost=1456410039][/doublepost]
If the design really ends up being similar to the 5s, it will mean Tim Cook has taken his already existing lack of innovation to an all-new low.

Tim Cook's definition of innovation expands upon the dictionary's term:

The act or process of introducing new ideas, devices, or methods

Except is is not different, it is the same product with one new feature every year, and hardly a new method or new idea.

Last edited:
Reactions: ThomasJL

n-evo

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2013
Amsterdam
The iPhone 5(s) is the sexiest looking smartphone to date in my opinion and I kinda hate the way my iPhone 6s looks by comparison. I would love an iPhone 7(s) which looks more like the iPhone 5(s).

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.