Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Yeah, it's difficult to say what I wanted to say without coming off like that.

Four or five members posted complaints ("it's enough of a disappointment, I won't be upgrading", "glaring omission", and "it's a bummer Apple didn't do this", etc), then the rest was just dinking around, trying to infer the watch's sensors by looking at Health data.

I guess I'm thinking of other threads, too, like the much more idiotic idea of having the AW measure blood pressure, or complaining that it doesn't include sleep tracking as a "core feature" (whatever that means) while multiple sleep tracking apps are already available. It's insane how spoiled this group is.
I got you. Wasn't trying to be critical. Like I said I've done a good bit of reading and you always seemed so grounded in your comments. But I guess this was the straw that broke the camels back lol.

Take a break man. I've gone six month stretches from the forums here at times. Sometimes I've just had enough.

luigi408

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2008
Hi all,

Can't find a clear answer online. Does the new Apple Watch have barometer? I preordered the Nike one but I'm still debating weather it's good enough for fitness. Thanks!

matt9013

macrumors 6502
Oct 27, 2013
Hi all,

Can't find a clear answer online. Does the new Apple Watch have barometer? I preordered the Nike one but I'm still debating weather it's good enough for fitness. Thanks!
No it does not have a barometer which sucks.

DerekZoolander

macrumors newbie
Apr 9, 2015
From everything I can find there is not mention of a barometer...however according to the iFixit tear down it does have a barometric senor attached to the S2 chip. So either they got it wrong or the barometer was undocumented by Apple and not in use yet. Anyone else have thoughts on this!? Look at step 14 from the iFixit tear down link below.

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Apple+Watch+Series+2+Teardown/67385

Reactions: angrytoothbrush

luigi408

macrumors 6502
Jun 22, 2008
From everything I can find there is not mention of a barometer...however according to the iFixit tear down it does have a barometric senor attached to the S2 chip. So either they got it wrong or the barometer was undocumented by Apple and not in use yet. Anyone else have thoughts on this!? Look at step 14 from the iFixit tear down link below.

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Apple+Watch+Series+2+Teardown/67385

Wow I looked through here and missed that part. Hmmm... maybe the OS isn't ready to use it yet until Nike branded watch comes out? Because according to the rumors of the new watch there was suppose to be a Barometer.

NxDh36VoVxfNVIIi.huge

https://www.bosch-sensortec.com/bst/products/all_products/bmp280

Reactions: DerekZoolander

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
Guys Guys... the iFixit Teardown found a barometer. Go look at that.
Cool. Now it's up to devs to take advantage of it (and/or Apple to allow access to its data).

If people are so desperate to get barometer data, they can learn how to code like everyone else who writes apps. Might even make a few bucks on the side.

exxxviii

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2015
Guys Guys... the iFixit Teardown found a barometer. Go look at that.
I saw that too. So, those with an ASW2, go test it to see if the activity tracker detects stair flights climbed. Hopefully, it is using the sensor. Otherwise, it could be in the same category of iFixit's discovery of the plethysmograph that is unused.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I saw that too. So, those with an ASW2, go test it to see if the activity tracker detects stair flights climbed. Hopefully, it is using the sensor. Otherwise, it could be in the same category of iFixit's discovery of the plethysmograph that is unused.
I can check this if you can tell me how lol

exxxviii

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2015
That is the magic question... On Fitbit, the mobile app and device both have a widget or display to show you flights of stairs climbed. I guess you would have to find that same metric in either the watch activity app or phone activity app. Maybe it is somewhere in Health. I scrolled around in my watch and phone, but I could not find it. I am still S0, so it may not expose unless you are sporting an S2.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
That is the magic question... On Fitbit, the mobile app and device both have a widget or display to show you flights of stairs climbed. I guess you would have to find that same metric in either the watch activity app or phone activity app. Maybe it is somewhere in Health. I scrolled around in my watch and phone, but I could not find it. I am still S0, so it may not expose unless you are sporting an S2.
It's in health. I just don't know if it's telling me data from the Watch or phone...

It says three flights. I guess I can go climb some stairs with Watch only. Brb. :)

Edit: didn't change. I also think I can see how the data is collected. Seems all phone. IMG_3525.PNG

Last edited:

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
If you go to Flights Climbed --> Data Sources and Access then under Data Sources you should see a list of apps and devices that can update this metric, in order of priority. My original AW is not listed as a source. Is your new AW listed there?

Reactions: lordofthereef

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
If you go to Flights Climbed --> Data Sources and Access then under Data Sources you should see a list of apps and devices that can update this metric, in order of priority. My original AW is not listed as a source. Is your new AW listed there?
It is not :(

zhenya

macrumors 604
Jan 6, 2005
Well, if it's really in there, hopefully they will begin to make use of it soon and allow other apps to use it as well. Apple has been incredibly reticent to make full use of everything the watch is capable of doing.

Julien

macrumors G4
Jun 30, 2007
Atlanta
Haven't looked but is it connected to an external hole? It must have external assess in order to work. Also there is no mention in Apple's specs so it seems very suspect that it works.

EDIT: It does say it occupies an external hole thought to be an 'extra' mic. Makes no sense that Apple would not tout and use it. It makes an excellent selling point to help entice fence sitting S0 owners.

exxxviii

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2015
It's in health. I just don't know if it's telling me data from the Watch or phone...
Aaah. I overlooked it there. Is the watch listed as one of the Data Sources? If so, then maybe it is possible. If not, then my bet is that the sensor is not yet utilized by the OS or apps.
[doublepost=1474224792][/doublepost]
Haven't looked but is it connected to an external hole? It must have external assess in order to work.
Yes, iFixit noted that it is ported to what looked like a mysterious 2nd mic hole.

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
Haven't looked but is it connected to an external hole? It must have external assess in order to work. Also there is no mention in Apple's specs so it seems very suspect that it works.

EDIT: It does say it occupies an external hole thought to be an 'extra' mic. Makes no sense that Apple would not tout and use it. It makes an excellent selling point to help entice fence sitting S0 owners.

Maybe they got it wrong and it's actually for water pressure, not air pressure?

exxxviii

macrumors 65816
May 20, 2015
Maybe they got it wrong and it's actually for water pressure, not air pressure?
Haha... Yeah, what if it records pressure depth into its internal black box? If it detects that the watch was subjected to over-pressure under water, it voids the warranty.

nicho

macrumors 601
Feb 15, 2008
Haha... Yeah, what if it records pressure depth into its internal black box? If it detects that the watch was subjected to over-pressure under water, it voids the warranty.

ok so... i checked out the ifixit teardown and the part they referenced is indeed a barometer. but it has a lot of applications that aren't necessarily just counting flights of stairs and could be highly relevant to swimming and helping to tune the accelerometer.

Tibits

macrumors 6502
Feb 23, 2011
Altitude/elevation readings enabled by Barometer (or other means) are essential to me. Tracking mountain hikes and downhill skiing days are things I would want a smart watch / fitness tracker to do. I am considering upgrading from a standard iPhone to the Plus, therefore I need the iWatch function as a stand alone device for times I don't want to lug the Plus. Otherwise I am going to have to consider some of the Garmin devices.

jclardy

macrumors 601
Oct 6, 2008
Cool. Now it's up to devs to take advantage of it (and/or Apple to allow access to its data).

If people are so desperate to get barometer data, they can learn how to code like everyone else who writes apps. Might even make a few bucks on the side.
I doubt there is access to it, otherwise they would have mentioned it. And not implementing it into activity seems to be a huge oversight. The main point would be to track stairs climbed/elevation climbed when working out. And to track it passively like fitbit does (And the iPhone does...but that data doesn't feed into Activity.)

If there is SDK access you can build an app...but that app would have to be running every time you went up a staircase to track it. The point would be passive tracking.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.