Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

seitsme

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2017
-
hi all.

Can anyone confirm that with the installation of OSX High sierra, an app called Telephone,
is installed part of the package in the apps folder. Maker is '64 Characters'.

I never noticed this app and today software update prompts me to update it.

Not sure what it is and where it came from.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
hi all.

Can anyone confirm that with the installation of OSX High sierra, an app called Telephone,

That is definitely not part of the base macOS.

tromboneaholic

Suspended
Jun 9, 2004
Clearwater, FL
hi all.

macOS does not install any third party apps.

If you didn't install it, find out ASAP who else has access to your computer and your password to install an app they could potentially use to eavesdrop.

Either that, or you forgot that you installed it....

Reactions: seitsme

seitsme

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 12, 2017
-
I did not install it all all ! This is why i asked here , i go to do pwd changes etc... thanks.
Possibly i got this **** from someone on public wifi's ...

will check if this app is on my iphone as well

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
I did not install it all all ! This is why i asked here , i go to do pwd changes etc... thanks.

It's very unlikely this was installed via some sort of attack. If you're able to update it, it was installed from your own App Store account.

Reactions: tromboneaholic

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware

The Telephone app is designed to allow you to make phone calls from your Mac.
I think it would be possible that it was installed as a part of some other app that you may have installed, maybe some software that gives you more use related to your iphone (so you might not need to even pick up your iPhone to make a call when you are at home, for example). If that was included with some other app that you installed, you may not have noticed that app at the time that you installed something else (and the Telephone app gives other functions for that other app).
If you still have no clue about the Telephone app, and you KNOW for sure that nothing else installed that app, then drag that Telephone app to the trash. Empty the trash. Done & gone. (Run Malwarebytes just as a check that no malware has slipped through :cool: )

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.