Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tsboy69

macrumors regular
Aug 17, 2010
I don't think you can't do that. If Applecare+ is purchased after the phone is in hand, you have to take it to an Apple store to have it viewed by them before they will add it.

I agree. I did not have the funds to buy the AppleCare when I bought the phone from the Apple website. I tried to purchase it on-line a few days after I got it and was instructed the only way to purchase it was to go into a store to have it inspected.

Did that and go the certificate in the mail today.

Good to go.

justinpapa

macrumors newbie
Sep 28, 2012
Just wanted to update y'all, I'm the one that posted pictures of my phone with a blotchy screen.

I did purchase AppleCare the Saturday after I received my phone from Verizon. I went to the store, the associate verified my phone, and I purchased AppleCare from the Apple store.

Thursday my phone dropped and the pixels go out on the right side of the screen. I go to the Apple store in downtown Boston and meet with the Genius Bar. He inspects my phone, takes a look at it, and tells me the only way to fix my phone is to replace it.. We back up my data to iCloud. He brings me a new phone. Wipe the original iPhone, transfer SIM card to new handset, and I sign off on paperwork. Restored settings, and I'm done.

I wasn't charged anything because 'it is still covered on warranty.' Awesome. Didn't have to pay, didn't have to use my AppleCare, all is good.

When I was waiting to get in the store, there were a handful of people waiting with me at ten. Many asked for the iPhone 5 but every associate I overheard told customers they were sold out. But not for replacements, glad I was able to get it replaced. I also purchased the USB to lightning cable. They had a lot there and I bought one for $19.

The Genius Bar was just so quick to help me and get me in and out. Happy!

jfulcher

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2009
Wrong. If you want AppleCare after you've already purchased, you MUST make a genius appointment so the phone can be inspected. They're called geniuses not idiots.

----------

That's not protocol. It's supposed to be presented for inspection.

I've put it on 2 4Ss in the past year over the phone within 30 days of purchase.

MacVT

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2012
Wrong. If you want AppleCare after you've already purchased, you MUST make a genius appointment so the phone can be inspected. They're called geniuses not idiots.

Wrong. I just purchased AppleCare+ this morning over the phone after receiving my iphone 5 on launch day.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Wrong. I just purchased AppleCare+ this morning over the phone after receiving my iphone 5 on launch day.

technically you are suppose to have to be > 50 miles away from an apple store to get applecare+ added over the phone; However, like in your case, they will still add it depending on the person you get.

iphone1105

macrumors 68020
Oct 8, 2009
I don't think you can't do that. If Applecare+ is purchased after the phone is in hand, you have to take it to an Apple store to have it viewed by them before they will add it.

Yeah you can. I called AppleCare and had them add AppleCare+ to my iP5 two days after i got it from UPS on the 21st. Never had to take the phone to the store or anything. I'm all confirmed and good 'til 2014!

MacVT

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2012
technically you are suppose to have to be > 50 miles away from an apple store to get applecare+ added over the phone; However, like in your case, they will still add it depending on the person you get.

Yeah, I'm about 2 hours from Montreal, which is the closest Apple store to me. I didn't even mention that to the guy on the phone though, he was cool, and very helpful.

I keep my phones for 2 years so AppleCare+ was a no brainer for me.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Yeah, I'm about 2 hours from Montreal, which is the closest Apple store to me. I didn't even mention that to the guy on the phone though, he was cool, and very helpful.

I keep my phones for 2 years so AppleCare+ was a no brainer for me.

especially if you rock your phone naked....it is a must!

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
Just out of curiosity does Apple care + replace your damaged phone with a new phone or a refurbished phone?

MacVT

macrumors newbie
Sep 26, 2012

I had every intention of it, but the first day I got it I went for a hike and almost dropped the slippery little bastard taking a panoramic photo at the summit.

I went to AT&T right after and picked up the incipio frequency case. It's form fitting, slim and best of all, textured around the sides where you hold it.

It still looks pretty sick all murdered out.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Just out of curiosity does Apple care + replace your damaged phone with a new phone or a refurbished phone?

They give you a refurb, but they look flawless and you could never tell. I think the main reason for this too is b.c it is just the phone with no accessories.

johndallas999

macrumors 6502a
Oct 9, 2008
Seattle
Just wanted to update y'all, I'm the one that posted pictures of my phone with a blotchy screen.

I did purchase AppleCare the Saturday after I received my phone from Verizon. I went to the store, the associate verified my phone, and I purchased AppleCare from the Apple store.

Thursday my phone dropped and the pixels go out on the right side of the screen. I go to the Apple store in downtown Boston and meet with the Genius Bar. He inspects my phone, takes a look at it, and tells me the only way to fix my phone is to replace it.. We back up my data to iCloud. He brings me a new phone. Wipe the original iPhone, transfer SIM card to new handset, and I sign off on paperwork. Restored settings, and I'm done.

I wasn't charged anything because 'it is still covered on warranty.' Awesome. Didn't have to pay, didn't have to use my AppleCare, all is good.

When I was waiting to get in the store, there were a handful of people waiting with me at ten. Many asked for the iPhone 5 but every associate I overheard told customers they were sold out. But not for replacements, glad I was able to get it replaced. I also purchased the USB to lightning cable. They had a lot there and I bought one for $19.

The Genius Bar was just so quick to help me and get me in and out. Happy!

Don't you only get 5GB of icloud storage? Were you able to backup your entire phone with that amt?

----------

"rock" your phone? WTF? Hipster lingo for carry?

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Don't you only get 5GB of icloud storage? Were you able to backup your entire phone with that amt?

----------

"rock" your phone? WTF? Hipster lingo for carry?

not even hipster haha, just a term. You really have never heard that? Rock, sport

eleite

macrumors regular
Sep 13, 2012
To make a long story short. A co-worker dropped my new iPhone 5 at work on the asphalt of our parking lot. Cracked glass near the camera and dented aluminium on the band with hole enough for dust to go in.

Have an appointment with a Genius Bar tomorrow to see what I can do. What are my options to those who has a similar problem?

-I don't have applecare+ because it was a white one and was awaiting to exchange it for a black one before buying it.

-Im willing to purchase a new one or a replacement one. How much will it cost me, full price or replacement price? My co-working is forking up the funds for this mess.

When I get the new or replacement phone, will I still be able to purchase AppleCare+ like I originally intended?

Any info on this would be greatly appreciated. Moral of the story, don't let incompetent co-workers ever look at new gadgets.

Thanks!

I'm so sorry for your loss. I can't fathom. My best wishes to you and your family. May you find a replacement as soon as possible... who am I kidding it'll never be the same.

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010

I guess Apple's decided they'll lose less money by allowing people to commit insurance fraud than they would by turning AppleCare+ customers away because they can't make it to an Apple store.

Surrylic

macrumors regular
Jun 26, 2010
Your co-worker should offer to pay for it. If I dropped somebody's gadget, that would be the minimum I offer.

This. I'd feel like such a jerk for dropping a brand new phone, even if it wasn't damaged in the fall. I would absolutely consider myself 100% responsible for the cost to repair or replace it.

Jman13

macrumors 68000
Aug 7, 2011
Columbus, OH

iCloud backups only back up your data and a list of the programs that are installed. Even when my 4S was completely filled with crap, my backup was about 8GB. Since I haven't installed everything I had on my 4S on my 5 (I had a lot of apps I almost never used), my 5 backup is around 4GB. The initial backup takes some time, but all backups after that only backup new or changed data, so they are much faster.

But, I do purchase the extra 10GB of iCloud storage personally, so I have 15 GB.

JRoDDz

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2009
NYC
My co-working is forking up the funds for this mess.

not sure how much clearly i can make it

And is he forking up the INCONVIENIENCE and waste of your time of driving to the Apple store and dealing with replacing the phone?

Wicked1

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2009
New Jersey
Sad to say...

The irony of all of this is that I just got the Zagg HD shield installed on my iPhone 5 last night by Best Buy Mobile. They told me that I should keep my phone out of its case for 24 hours.

Well, I have been home all day and left the house to go to the store briefly. It's raining... on my way inside back into the house... I dropped my phone. :eek:

Here it is in all of its glory. SAD day. It took a fall without my case on it. :( Damaged pixels on the screen. I upgraded from the 3GS, I really thought that this wouldn't have happened. Bummer.

Please do not take offense to this, but never ever, listen to a BB Geek, or Mobile Tech, most of them have no clue what they are talking about, and to me the Zagg shields are just a waste of money, however I know there are others that swear by them, I just never had any luck with those, and prefer to just use a case with back, side, top and bottom support.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.