Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OneMike

macrumors 603
Oct 19, 2005
I’m due an upgrade now on my iPhone 7. I can afford the XS / R but alarm bells are going off in my head and that little voice is telling me not to do it.

A 7 can make it at least another year. If you question doing it, to me that's a sign not to do it. You can convince yourself otherwise, but if you needed it, you'd likely have already purchased it.

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
Fair enough, I’m making the point that 64GB of storage should not be the same price in 2018 as 2014.

I completely agree.

But blame all the 1000s of android oems eating up the memory market driving up prices and not selling their handsets.

Some claim competition is good but that’s only if they can compete if they can’t they are taking up compensants and putting them in devices that they are unable to give away let alone sell.

Reactions: bluecoast

brig2221

macrumors 6502
Jan 18, 2010
I would like Apple to get a bloody nose with these as honestly they are taking the p in my opinion with the pricing. Not just the cost of the phone but penny pinching by removing the dongle, at that price they should be including a set of airpods! It is also a little low for them to push the xr date out to just beyond the 14 day window

Not going to happen though, best we can hope for is more people buy the R.

Careful what you wish for. If that happens too much, or more than Apple expects, would surprise me to see them strip something away from the XR, like using last years processor.

That said, I purchased an XS and had to take it back due to my eyes not being able to handle the OLED panel. I’ve got my sights on an XR now, and quite honestly, I’m feeling much better now about spending $800-$900 on the device rather than the $1,100-$1,200 I had spent on the XS.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Every year there are new iPhones, the op is stating iPhones are getting more expensive but they are not. Pound for pound they are not.
Yes they are, dollar for dollar.

Top of the line in 2016 was iPhone 7 Plus, at $769, $869, and $969.

Inflation rate since then is 5.1%. That would make pricing $808, $913, and $1018.

However, the top of the line in 2018 is iPhone XS Max, at $1099 (+43%), $1249 (+37%), and $1449 (+42%).

Even if you were to use the same amount of storage (even though storage is much cheaper now), the prices are $1018 vs $1249, or a difference of +23%.

iPhones have definitely gotten A LOT more expensive. This is a conscious effort by Apple to move up market. Yes, they have the much better value XR, but that is a lower tier than the 7 Plus was. The problem is now we have nothing that directly replaces the 7 Plus, unless you go with Apple's top tier. We have something with a lower end screen (albeit bigger) and no telephoto lens for slightly cheaper, or else you go to OLED for way, way more money. This is what happens when you have a huge $300-$400 gap in the model tiers.

Last edited:

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
Yes they are, dollar for dollar.

Top of the line in 2016 was iPhone 7 Plus, at $769, $869, and $969.

Let’s try this another way:

Storage tiers
iPhone 5 32gb - $749
iPhone 5 64gb - $849
iPhone 6 64gb - $749
iPhone 6 Plus 64gb - $849
iPhone Xr 64gb - $749
iPhone Xs 64gb - $999
iPhone Xs max 64gb - $1099
iPhone 6 128gb - $849
iPhone 6 Plus 128gb - $949
iPhone 7 128GB – $749
iPhone Xr 128gb -$799
iPhone 7 plus 128gb - $869
iPhone 7 256GB – $849
iPhone Xr 256gb -$899
iPhone 7 plus 256GB – $969
iPhone Xs 256 gb- $1149
iPhone Xs max 256gb-$1249

I will add more to the list tomorrow.

Inflation rate since then is 5.1%. That would make pricing $808, $913, and $1018.

However, the top of the line in 2018 is iPhone XS Max, at $1099 (+43%), $1249 (+37%), and $1449 (+42%).

Even if you were to use the same amount of storage (even though storage is much cheaper now), the prices are $1018 vs $1249, or a difference of +23%.

No idea what inflation has with component costs between the iPhone 7, iPhone 7plus, iPhone xr, and the iPhone Xs. They don’t have the same components

Don’t know why people keep saying storage is cheaper, when there is a supply issue in the market for storage

iPhones have definitely gotten A LOT more expensive. This is a conscious effort by Apple to move up market. Yes, they have the much better value XR, but that is a lower tier than the 7 Plus was.

Apple introduced a new price tier with the iPhone Xs. They haven’t actually gotten more expensive.

The xr isn’t a lower tier than the 7 and 7plus it’s positioned between them. Just like it’s resolution.
Every other component either matches or surpasses the 7 and 7 plus.

Bom is obviously higher between the Xs/max and precious iPhones. Can we atleast agree on that?

The problem is now we have nothing that directly replaces the 7 Plus, unless you go with Apple's top tier. We have something with a lower end screen (albeit bigger) and no telephoto lens for slightly cheaper, or else you go to OLED for way, way more money. This is what happens when you have a huge $300-$400 gap in the model tiers.

Sorry but the iPhone Xr replaces the 7 and 7 plus.

If you want something more the Xs is available for $180 more or Xs max at $280 more than the 7 plus with the same storage tier.

Again it’s pretty straight forward when you have an apple to apple comparison.

I couldn’t understand why they didn’t call the iPhone Xs max the iPhone Xs plus until I put together the list above, it’s not a replacement for the plus it’s a new category with a new pricing tier.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
No idea what inflation has with component costs between the iPhone 7, iPhone 7plus, iPhone xr, and the iPhone Xs. They don’t have the same components
Of course they don't have the same components. Technology progresses as time goes on. The 7 Plus was the top-of-the-line for its day.

Don’t know why people keep saying storage is cheaper, when there is a supply issue in the market for storage
? They say storage is cheaper, because storage is cheaper. It's a fact. I can literally buy SSDs now for half the price they were a couple of years ago.

Sorry but the iPhone Xr replaces the 7 and 7 plus.

If you want something more the Xs is available for $180 more or Xs max at $280 more than the 7 plus with the same storage tier.

Again it’s pretty straight forward when you have an apple to apple comparison.

I couldn’t understand why they didn’t call the iPhone Xs max the iPhone Xs plus until I put together the list above, it’s not a replacement for the plus it’s a new category with a new pricing tier.
That's just it. Even today the 7 Plus is in some ways superior to the XR, even though the 7 Plus is 2 years old. So, the XR doesn't replace the 7 Plus. The XR easily replaces the 7 and 8, but does not easily replace the 7 Plus and 8 Plus. So factoring the fact it is two years later, the XR has shifted the target somewhat downmarket, while the Max has shifted the target somewhat upmarket, leaving the a big hole in the middle, which is where the 7 Plus used to reside in 2016.

Apple introduced a new price tier with the iPhone Xs. They haven’t actually gotten more expensive.
That's just semantics. If you want the full she-bang, the XR doesn't cut it. There is no equivalent price tier now. Either you go downmarket, or you go upmarket.

The xr isn’t a lower tier than the 7 and 7plus it’s positioned between them. Just like it’s resolution.
The pixel density is the same as 7, and much lower than the 7 Plus, and it's missing the telephoto lens. It also has a gimped portrait mode, although it's better than nothing. So, yeah, it's a significant improvement over the 7, but not so much the 7 Plus or 8 Plus.

Every other component either matches or surpasses the 7 and 7 plus.
As mentioned, technology progresses. By your argument, if Apple were to release an iPhone 4 for $500 this year, that would be great because it's cheaper than before.

Bom is obviously higher between the Xs/max and precious iPhones. Can we atleast agree on that?
Yes.

Macalway

macrumors 68040
Aug 7, 2013
I get the feeling Apple has turned to greed, it’s all about money and profits now.

If that same inner voice is telling you this, than it's not the voice of reason. Its ALWAYS been about money and profit.

Remember though, its an S year. Upgrading is optional, and perhaps not advisable with the 7 or 8 or X series, unless you want to, and it doesn't bother you.

But don't buy it if you are absolutely sure that when you finally decide not to buy it and cancel your order, that a day/week/month down the road you will get one anyway. In other words: put it out of it's misery now :D

Last edited:
Reactions: FFR

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
Of course they don't have the same components. Technology progresses as time goes on. The 7 Plus was the top-of-the-line for its day.

Ok, so technology progresses and you expect to pay the same price. Doesn’t make any sense.

? They say storage is cheaper, because storage is cheaper. It's a fact. I can literally buy SSDs now for half the price they were a couple of years ago.

Tlc mlc or slc?
As you progress to higher nand tiers so do prices.
4tb in the MacBook Pro is an example.

Because it’s actually more expensive and difficult to manufacture a 256gb nand then it is 8gb nand, yields are also much lower.
It’s not as simple as multiplying the price of an 8gb nand by 32.

You do understand supply and demand and elastic vs in elastic pricing?

No memory prices increase because of it not decrease.

That's just it. Even today the 7 Plus is in some ways superior to the XR, even though the 7 Plus is 2 years old. So, the XR doesn't replace the 7 Plus. The XR easily replaces the 7 and 8, but does not easily replace the 7 Plus and 8 Plus. So factoring the fact it is two years later, the XR has shifted the target somewhat downmarket, while the Max has shifted the target somewhat upmarket, leaving the a big hole in the middle, which is where the 7 Plus used to reside in 2016.

Uh no, not even close it has a lower resolution and a single camera lens but your assuming that equates to an inferior display and an inferior camera, it doesn’t, wait and see.

That's just semantics. If you want the full she-bang, the XR doesn't cut it. There is no equivalent price tier now. Either you go downmarket, or you go upmarket.

Actually it’s not semantics. It’s cut and dry.
I would love a Valkyrie for the price of a vantage but that’s not going to happen.

The pixel density is the same as 7, and much lower than the 7 Plus, and it's missing the telephoto lens. It also has a gimped portrait mode, although it's better than nothing. So, yeah, it's a significant improvement over the 7, but not so much the 7 Plus or 8 Plus.

Same ppi as the 7, but not resolution. The pixel density is lower on the iPad. But it has a higher higher resolution thank either

It’s a different screen wait and see.

As mentioned, technology progresses. By your argument, if Apple were to release an iPhone 4 for $500 this year, that would be great because it's cheaper than before.

Yes technology progresses as do prices, there is a correlation between the two.

That makes no sense.

So BOM increases you expect apple to eat the cost difference?

That’s incredibly myopic.

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
Same ppi as the 7, but not resolution. The pixel density is lower on the iPad. But it has a higher higher resolution thank either

It’s a different screen wait and see.
That doesn't make sense. Resolution isn't the issue here, it's pixel density. That's the primary concern here.

Yes iPads have lower pixel density. That's why I would not want such a screen in my iPhone. You'd get even more complaints.

The key point here is that resolution per se doesn't matter. The resolution can be lower or higher, but what resolution is necessary is wholly dependent on the size of the screen. The fixed measure for a phone regardless of the size of the screen is pixel density, because we hold phones at a specific viewing distance range.

This differs for iPads, and differs for laptops and desktops too, which is why pixel densities are lower on those.

So BOM increases you expect apple to eat the cost difference?

That’s incredibly myopic.
No, they can have their upper price tier. What many of us are lamenting is they've removed the 7 Plus / 8 Plus tier and introduced two tiers, neither of which match the previous tier. Either you go downmarket for a bit less money, or you go upmarket for a lot more money.

They've eliminated the equivalent 8 Plus tier. You can no longer buy a latest model higher pixel density LCD iPhone. You either buy a lower ppi model (downmarket) for a little bit less money, or you go OLED (upmarket) for way, way more money.

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
I’m due an upgrade now on my iPhone 7. I can afford the XS / R but alarm bells are going off in my head and that little voice is telling me not to do it.

It’s about the damn cost, wasting that money on a phone, no phone is worth £1000+ but that’s just my opinion. Add to that I get the feeling Apple has turned to greed, it’s all about money and profits now.

So I have this battle going on in my head, did anyone else suffer this? I’m also on a great plan which I’ll lose if I upgrade, unlimited calls and sms, 6gb data for £21 pm

My wife just had the battery replaced a couple of months ago on her 7+. It runs iOS 12 like a new phone. She is all smiles. Good to go at least another 2 unless there is a serious hardware failure. The 7 series really is a joy on iOS 12. Get your battery replaced for $29 and start a new friendship with your 7. It will be like new. :apple:

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
My wife just had the battery replaced a couple of months ago on her 7+. It runs iOS 12 like a new phone. She is all smiles. Good to go at least another 2 unless there is a serious hardware failure. The 7 series really is a joy on iOS 12. :apple:
My 7 Plus runs like a champ, and it's still on the original battery.

I think I'll have to get a new battery just because it's CAD$35, but at 90% with normal peak performance and no unexpected shutdowns, it almost seems wasteful. I guess I'll wait a couple of months.

Glideslope

macrumors 604
Dec 7, 2007
The Adirondacks.
My 7 Plus runs like a champ, and it's still on the original battery.

I think I'll have to get a new battery just because it's CAD$35, but at 90% with normal peak performance and no unexpected shutdowns, it almost seems wasteful. I guess I'll wait a couple of months.

I'll be honest. Her 7 was running good. The new battery really brought it back. Battery all day long was the largest benefit. Even I'm amazed how responsive it is on iOS 12. I don't mind piling on Apple, but definitely a big well done for the older devices with iOS 12. :apple:

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
That doesn't make sense. Resolution isn't the issue here, it's pixel density. That's the primary concern here.

Yes iPads have lower pixel density. That's why I would not want such a screen in my iPhone. You'd get even more complaints.

The key point here is that resolution per se doesn't matter. The resolution can be lower or higher, but what resolution is necessary is wholly dependent on the size of the screen. The fixed measure for a phone regardless of the size of the screen is pixel density, because we hold phones at a specific viewing distance range.

This differs for iPads, and differs for laptops and desktops too, which is why pixel densities are lower on those.

What?
Resolution doesn’t matter but pixel density does.
You honestly haven’t a clue what your talking about.

Ppi is one metric of the display, your choosing to disregard everything else because it refutes your premise.

Resolution and screen size gives us ppi, if you disregard resolution you might as well disregard ppi, entirely.

[QUOTE="EugW, post: 26591164, member: 1083158"
No, they can have their upper price tier. What many of us are lamenting is they've removed the 7 Plus / 8 Plus tier and introduced two tiers, neither of which match the previous tier. Either you go downmarket for a bit less money, or you go upmarket for a lot more money.

They've eliminated the equivalent 8 Plus tier, and replaced it with a much higher priced tier. You can no longer buy a latest model higher pixel density LCD iPhone. You either buy a lower ppi model (downmarket) for a little bit less money, or you go OLED (upmarket) for way, way more money.[/QUOTE]

Your wrong again.
You can stay with the 8 plus. They lowered the price or you can get an Xr, or an Xs, or an X’s max.

But if you expect to get an Xs max for the price of a Xr just because.... we’ll not much left to discuss.

Here are the storage tiers again.
Storage tiers
iPhone 5 32gb - $749
iPhone 5 64gb - $849
iPhone 6 64gb - $749
iPhone Xr 64gb - $749
iPhone Xs 64gb - $999
iPhone 6 128gb - $849
iPhone 7 128GB – $749
iPhone Xr 128gb -$799
iPhone 7 256GB – $849
iPhone Xr 256gb -$899
iPhone Xs 256 gb- $1149

For what your getting apple is extremely reasonable, compared to the competition( I’m taking about components).

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
What?
Resolution doesn’t matter but pixel density does.
You honestly haven’t a clue what your talking about.

Ppi is one metric of the display, your choosing to disregard everything else because it refutes your premise.

Resolution and screen size gives us ppi, if you disregard resolution you might as well disregard ppi, entirely.
Either you're talking in circles, or else you don't fully understand the concept. I hope it's just the former.

As you may know, resolution is dependent on the size and the shape of the screen. However, the numbers vary significantly because the screen sizes and shapes vary significantly, and thus cannot be easily used to compare one screen to another at first glance. In fact, that's where so much of the confusion on the internet comes from. People keep talking about 1080p but don't actually understand what that means when it comes to pixel density.

I talk about pixel density because it is comparable across screen sizes and screen shapes. There is no need to mention resolution at all in this comparison, because it can be derived from the pixel density and screen measurements. Constantly mentioning resolution across different screen shapes just makes the discussion more complex, without actually adding much to the discussion.

If you don't understand that point, then I don't know what to say, because it is of central importance when comparing these screens.

But if you expect to get an Xs max for the price of a Xr just because.... we’ll not much left to discuss.
You are definitely talking in circles, not bothering to fully read my posts.

I never said anything about expecting to get an XS Max for the price of an XR. I have no idea where you got that from, since I didn't say anything of the sort. Since I have to spell it out for you:

What I suggested is I wish like in previous years, there was a tier of the latest product that offered a top-of-the-line high pixel density LCD with dual-lens camera, for MORE than the XR, but less than the XS Max.

That no longer exists. The only way to get that higher pixel density screen with dual-lens camera is to go with an older model phone with older components, or else to jump upmarket to the OLED tier.

Apple has left a huge hole between the XR and the XS Max, separated by several hundred dollars.

Last edited:

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Here are the storage tiers again.
Storage tiers
iPhone 5 32gb - $749
iPhone 5 64gb - $849
iPhone 6 64gb - $749
iPhone Xr 64gb - $749
iPhone Xs 64gb - $999
iPhone 6 128gb - $849
iPhone 7 128GB – $749
iPhone Xr 128gb -$799
iPhone 7 256GB – $849
iPhone Xr 256gb -$899
iPhone Xs 256 gb- $1149

For what your getting apple is extremely reasonable, compared to the competition( I’m taking about components).

No they're not. The markup has increased to maintain margins which is fair enough but don't call it reasonable compared to the competition. Currently Samsung's most expensive phone is 1099 and it comes with 512GB with room for expansion. With Apple that gets you 448GB less with no possibility of expansion.

Whats happening now is that Apple is gradually increasing the heat to see how long the frog stays in the pot. And as long as as they keep getting away with it, other manufacturers will try and follow suit which is bad for the frog.

Its rationale like yours that will speed up the train towards $2000+ iPhones or smartphones in general

Last edited:
Reactions: AintDutchNotMuch

EugW

macrumors G5
Jun 18, 2017
No they're not. The markup has increased to maintain margins which is fair enough but don't call it reasonable compared to the competition. Speaking of competition, Apple sets pricing and everyone else follows.

Whats happening now is that Apple is gradually increasing the heat so how long the frog stays in the pot. Its arguments like yours that will speed up the train towards $2000+ iPhones.
They've already arrived here, in Canada.

To get a XS Max with more than 64 GB costs CAD$1954 including tax. In contrast, to get a XR with more than 64 GB costs $1242 including tax. That's a whopping 57% difference in cost, more than CAD$700.

There is no 2018 product in between with a high density screen to buy. It's either the lower density screen for an acceptable $1242, or else you jump up $712 to get that dual lens camera and higher density screen. This hole is way too big.

Alphazoid

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2014
I agree with the OP.If you're happy with the 7 then stay put. You should only upgrade if there's something wrong with the current phone or its cheaper, or you simply want to.

I've set myself a limit of £699 for any future phone purchase, which is what i paid for my 6S. I'm not paying a penny more than that for any phone. Even if i have to skip cycles or buy previous generations.

As it stands i am looking for an iPhone X around this price region as new/nearly new. I am only looking to update because i dropped my 6S and a corner of the display has been slightly dislodged. But i am still happy to keep it if my criteria isn't fulfilled.

I also refuse to buy the 7 or 8 because they aren't a big jump from the 6S which is why i never bothered when they came out. Don't mind going to Android either, now that its essentially on par.

£$1000 for a phone (granted an important tool) is crazy, and for me it illustrates everything that's wrong with capitalism.

I am happy to pay a premium...its why i have been buying Apple products for almost 2 decades. But i am not going to be silly either. There are more important things in life.

Last edited:

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
They've already arrived here, in Canada.

To get a XS Max with more than 64 GB costs CAD$1954 including tax. In contrast, to get a XR with more than 64 GB costs $1242 including tax. That's a whopping 57% difference in cost, more than CAD$700.

There is no 2018 product in between with a high density screen to buy. It's either the lower density screen for an acceptable $1242, or else you jump up $712 to get that dual lens camera and higher density screen. This hole is way too big.

I still remember when Jobs cut the price of the OG iPhone to make it more accessible to customers. Good times.

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
No they're not. The markup has increased to maintain margins which is fair enough but don't call it reasonable compared to the competition. Currently Samsung's most expensive phone is 1099 and it comes with 512GB with room for expansion. With Apple that gets you 448GB less with no possibility of expansion.

Samsung most expensive phone pricing tier for the note 9 is listed as $1249. $200 less that the $1449 iPhone Xs max. For that $200 you get:

7nm soc vs 10nm
8core npu vs none
Nvme storage vs ufs storage
6.5 inch oled display vs 6.4 inch
Edge to Edge display and no chin vs infinity display with forehead and chin
Flat display vs curved display
120hz touch touch sensing vs 60 hz touch sensing
Stainless steel chassis vs aluminum chassis
3D facial recognition vs 2d biometric
Dolby vision AND hdr10 vs only hdr 10
Can record 4K for longer than 5 Minutes.
Better battery
Better stereo speakers
Note has extra ram, a plastic stylus and a headphone jack

We haven’t even talked about ecosystem, after sales support, or residual value, just hardware and bom.

I stand by what I said, it is very reasonable compared to the competition at a $200 difference in rrp.

Room for expansion is only included because Samsung fabricates and sells sd cards, most other android manufacturers have already or are in the process of phasing sd cards out.

Whats happening now is that Apple is gradually increasing the heat to see how long the frog stays in the pot. And as long as as they keep getting away with it, other manufacturers will try and follow suit which is bad for the frog.

No what apple did and has been explained ad nasuem. They have introduced a new model the iPhone Xs max at a new price point. The X was introduced last year at a new price point as well.
The xr replaces the 8/plus just like the 6/6plus replaced the 5s.

Market dictates price not Apple or Samsung, they only set it, whether that price is met depends on the demand or lack there of.

That’s actually what Samsung is doing. The problem there is when comparing hardware and bom between the two phones, economically speaking, demand is severely lacking compared to apple.

The note 9 and s9 are overpriced, which I can plainly state due to a lack of demand, diminishing value, and a severe drop in price. Samsung is guilty of artificially inflating rrp to give poorly educated customers a sense of perceived value.

Its rationale like yours that will speed up the train towards $2000+ iPhones or smartphones in general

I am not responsible for the principles of economics, merely an acolyte.

But I hope so can’t wait for the 1tb option, I actually got two iPhone XS max 512 gb and a s4 Apple Watch, and planning on getting an Xr in blue.

Would I like to get an Xs for the price of the xr, damn straight i would. I would also like to get a Ferrari for the price of a Prius and Picasso for the price of a Warhol. But that’s not going to happen.

But claiming that apple is increasing prices due to greed and profit is sorely inaccurate.

Reactions: akash.nu

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
I still remember when Jobs cut the price of the OG iPhone to make it more accessible to customers. Good times.

He cut the price due to a lack of demand caused by entering a new sector and overwhelming incumbent alternative devices being offered at many different price points and he never did it again.

Not to “make it more accessible to consumers” other wise he would have slashed prices across the board on all product. Which did not happen.

He also introduced a new storage tier 16gb.

FFR

Suspended
Nov 4, 2007
London
Either you're talking in circles, or else you don't fully understand the concept. I hope it's just the former.

As you may know, resolution is dependent on the size and the shape of the screen. However, the numbers vary significantly because the screen sizes and shapes vary significantly, and thus cannot be easily used to compare one screen to another at first glance. In fact, that's where so much of the confusion on the internet comes from. People keep talking about 1080p but don't actually understand what that means when it comes to pixel density.

I talk about pixel density because it is comparable across screen sizes and screen shapes. There is no need to mention resolution at all in this comparison, because it can be derived from the pixel density and screen measurements. Constantly mentioning resolution across different screen shapes just makes the discussion more complex, without actually adding much to the discussion.

If you don't understand that point, then I don't know what to say, because it is of central importance when comparing these screens.

You are definitely talking in circles, not bothering to fully read my posts.

My arguments are not circular no matter how much you wish them to be.

Your focusing on only one metric of the display, ppi and asking me to disregard resolution, which is used to make up said metric. Because you deem it useless for your argument.

iPads have a lower ppi than an iPhone but offers higher resolution displays. Another fact you choose to disregard. Televisons and monitors also have relatively low ppi but high resolution screens as well. And yes, while TVs operate at a distance, monitors and displays are not. The industry standard for measuring pixels is a resolution not ppi. Do you understand that? It is not a difficult concept to grasp.

I’m not the one misunderstanding the concept of resolution or dismissing it for the sake of your argument. No one starts with ppi and works their way backwards to calculate resolution. That’s asinine. You have an extremely weak argument that falls apart at the mere mention of resolution.
That much is clear.

I never said anything about expecting to get an XS Max for the price of an XR. I have no idea where you got that from, since I didn't say anything of the sort. Since I have to spell it out for you

You have been inferring that since your first post.

What I suggested is I wish like in previous years, there was a tier of the latest product that offered a top-of-the-line high pixel density LCD with dual-lens camera, for MORE than the XR, but less than the XS Max.

That no longer exists. The only way to get that higher pixel density screen with dual-lens camera is to go with an older model phone with older components, or else to jump upmarket to the OLED tier.

Guess what, so would I. But apple does not cater to the individual. I’m sorry the device you wanted at the price price point your willing to pay does not exist.

Yes those are your only current option, you must compromise somewhere.

Apple has left a huge hole between the XR and the XS Max, separated by several hundred dollars.

That’s what the Xs is for.
iPhone 8plus 64gb $799 -reduced $699
iPhone Xs 64gb $999

Your not making much sense, you want an iPhone 8plus with updated components?

Then just say that, maybe next year?

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Samsung most expensive phone pricing tier for the note 9 is listed as $1249. $200 less that the $1449 iPhone Xs max. For that $200 you get:

7nm soc vs 10nm
8core npu vs none
Nvme storage vs ufs storage
6.5 inch oled display vs 6.4 inch
Edge to Edge display and no chin vs infinity display with forehead and chin
Flat display vs curved display
120hz touch touch sensing vs 60 hz touch sensing
Stainless steel chassis vs aluminum chassis
3D facial recognition vs 2d biometric
Dolby vision AND hdr10 vs only hdr 10
Can record 4K for longer than 5 Minutes.
Better battery
Better stereo speakers
Note has extra ram, a plastic stylus and a headphone jack

We haven’t even talked about ecosystem, after sales support, or residual value, just hardware and bom.

I stand by what I said, it is very reasonable compared to the competition at a $200 difference in rrp.

Room for expansion is only included because Samsung fabricates and sells sd cards, most other android manufacturers have already or are in the process of phasing sd cards out.

Its listed as 1099 where i am. And again you're simply rationalising with your list. Sometimes even grasping at straws.

That’s actually what Samsung is doing. The problem there is when comparing hardware and bom between the two phones, economically speaking, demand is severely lacking compared to apple.

The note 9 and s9 are overpriced, which I can plainly state due to a lack of demand, diminishing value, and a severe drop in price. Samsung is guilty of artificially inflating rrp to give poorly educated customers a sense of perceived value.

Conjecture at its finest

I am not responsible for the principles of economics, merely an acolyte.

But I hope so can’t wait for the 1tb option, I actually got two iPhone XS max 512 gb and a s4 Apple Watch, and planning on getting an Xr in blue.

Case in point

Would I like to get an Xs for the price of the xr, damn straight i would. I would also like to get a Ferrari for the price of a Prius and Picasso for the price of a Warhol. But that’s not going to happen.

Apples to oranges comparison that doesn't even remotely compare.

But claiming that apple is increasing prices due to greed and profit is sorely inaccurate.

I never said greed but we'll have to agree to disagree here.

lyceumHQ

macrumors 68000
Aug 4, 2010

It’s about the damn cost, wasting that money on a phone, no phone is worth £1000+ but that’s just my opinion. Add to that I get the feeling Apple has turned to greed, it’s all about money and profits now.

So I have this battle going on in my head, did anyone else suffer this? I’m also on a great plan which I’ll lose if I upgrade, unlimited calls and sms, 6gb data for £21 pm

No idea what you should do upgrade wise but I pay £9 a month for the same allowances as you have so £21 for that is double what you should be paying for 6gb data.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.