Dumbfounded by all the hate.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by StudioSanctum, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob

I haven't paid $79 for fast charging.

2. sammy2066 macrumors 6502a

Not sure what you're trying to get at - the point is not the dollar amount you pay for fast-charging. The point is you shouldn't have to for a phone that costs $1000 - plain and simple.

3. Gathomblipoob macrumors 68040

Gathomblipoob

But Apple doesn't make you pay $79; you have that choice, including buying less expensive alternatives. Sure, it would be nice to get a fast charger in the box, but we all know that ain't happening.

4. Aydy macrumors regular

Aydy

At the ridiculous cost of the iPhone it would boil down to expectation to include fast charger as standard. Not even curtesy or decency on apples part just an expectation imo that my £1k smartphone is out of the box ready to show £1k smartphone capabilities.

5. Ries, Oct 7, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2017

Ries macrumors 68000

Apple charges $79 extra for a power adapter that should be included. Others can build and sell a functioning phone for $4. That's how much Apple is ripping us off.

(Ok, it really cost $54, but hey :) )

6. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

But I think the same could be said for many Apple products, where they should include something, but they don't. But in the end, Apple is a company that's out to make money and they're going to do so anyway they can. Where it comes into play, is if the consumer chooses to purchase directly from Apple or third-party manufacture for a specific accessory.

7. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

Not everybody criticising the new iPhone X is an Apple ‘hater’ though are they? That is the significance with this launch and the reaction it has received. It’s the first iPhone I am aware of that has devided opinion among iPhone users including myself. The discussion on this very site demonstrates that too.

8. Easttime macrumors 6502

Why is this an issue? It’s a phone with a handy design and incredibly smart utility. Why wouldn’t I want it to last 10 years? Why would I want to spend so much money every couple of years buying a new one with incremental blinking lights?

9. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

Want to know an easy way to fix this? It’s real simple...

10. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

So if I'm critical of the iPhone 8, I'm now a hater?

While I'll not pull any punches when I see what I perceive as a misstep by Apple, I'm an ardent Apple fan.

I'm not even overly critical of the iPhone 8 per say. Its not a bad phone, its just a minor update to the iPhone 7.

My kids are even more ardent fans then I am, complaining loudly when I was looking at the galaxy S8, yet told me that I shouldn't even bother with the iPhone 8, its the same as the 7 - and they're 11 years old :eek:

The 8 isn't a bad phone, but as an Apple fan, I'm disappointed with Apple's lack of fire and desire to push the envelope like they used too. I'm not giving up on apple, and the 8 is a beautifully designed phone, though I do wonder about the how the glass back will hold up, but only time will tell there.

11. ACST, Oct 7, 2017

ACST macrumors regular

I think it's the small things combined with the new price tiers, that have people starting to dislike/hate Apple things.
    • A 1000 dollar phone should have an included fast charger,
    • a 1000 dollar phone should have more than 64GB storage,
    • a 1000 dollar phone should have all the features of lower tiered phones (ie landscape mode/touchID),
    • a 1000 dollar phone should have a 2-year standard warranty,
    • a 1000 dollar phone should have a killer feature which other phones don't have.

I mean I'm starting to doubt buying an X because of these reasons (and a few others like RAM and resolution), even more when I can get a Galaxy S8 for literally half the price (that's in Europe).

12. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

This one is the most significant point, because the iPhone X represent's a product that is catching up to the competition, not leap frogging. Yes, some of the tech in the phone is superior to say the S8, but all in all, X does not do more then what the S8 can do.

13. iScone macrumors regular

iScone

It’s interesting that some have found the X the tipping point when it comes to price, as if the mark up on every other iPhone hasn’t been astronomical. In fact, I recall reading that the profit margins on the X are significantly lower than iPhone of recent years. Yet it seems to be the figure itself that’s triggered the reaction in some, regardless of the fact that it cost Apple much more to make.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 7, 2017 ---
    On paper maybe, but we don’t know how capable the X is yet and whether it’s better or worse than the S8. Apple tend to be late when it comes to tech but execute it better than anyone. I’m happy to wait, personally.

14. dogslobber macrumors 68020

dogslobber

Some Apple fanatics have a ‘you’re with us or against us’ mental block. I don’t know if that’s blind obedience or plain nativity, but some of us form our own opinions and express them. The first few responses to this thread demonstrate that.

15. ACST, Oct 7, 2017

ACST macrumors regular

We do know how capable the X is, since it has the exact same chip as the iPhone 8, but then you talk about performance which has become irrelevant now. How fast is the S8, it's so fast that everything is instant, how fast is het iPhone X also everything instant. Same goes for the camera's, in real life situations the S8/Pixel/Pixel 2/V30/iPhone 8/X are all great camera's with their weaknesses and their strengths.

There's not something in the X that's suddenly a game changer that we haven't realized yet. There's not that thing that Apple's all of a sudden done better than everyone else now. (barring FaceID, but that's a safety function, not a feature).

I mean just look back at the Apple keynote's highlights of the iPhone X and you know that there's not that game changer.

So I don't really understand what you mean with 'Apple tend to be late when it comes to tech but execute it better than anyone', I mean sure technically it's true, but what's the tech thing that Apple has executed better with the X than that the competition has done, that's actually relevant?

16. iScone macrumors regular

iScone

We’ll find out in due course, but at this stage it’s looking like the screen and the cameras. I don’t need much else, although your definition of “relevant” may vary.

17. ACST, Oct 7, 2017

ACST macrumors regular

Those aren't game changers compared to every competitor, screen to body ratio is the same as on the Galaxy S8/V30/Note 8/Essential/Mi Mix 2 and Samsung (which is the screen manufacturer of the iPhone X) has saved the better higher resolution amoled (vs full HD oled on the X) screens for themselves so the screen is better on the S8 than on the X and the camera is like I said marginal changes compared to the competitors which may or may not be better depending on circumstances. But is certainly not a game changer in real life situations.

And I still don't understand your "we'll find out in due course"? You know the phone has been presented and played with at the demo stands after the presentation. There not holding **** back, there's not a bunny coming out of the proverbial hat.

I mean I like your dedication but just think about the things I said and ask yourself what justifies the asking price of the X compared to a S8 for example which is even in America about 400 dollars cheaper (and in EU about 550 euros cheaper). I mean sure maybe it's better (marginally), but is it 400 dollars better?

I mean I may still buy it, because it's gonna be no doubt a great phone and it has IOS which is a pro. But do I think it's 550 euros better than the S8, hell no.

18. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

It has the same internals as the iPhone 8, so other then the buttonless operations we already have a pretty decent idea of how its going to work

19. Technarchy macrumors 603

Technarchy

I think this a point going over many heads.

The differences between the X and 8+ are not monumental.

20. Radon87000 macrumors 601

The screen is inferior to the Note 8. It's brightness is almost half. The Pixel has scored a 98 on camera and he 8 Plus is on 94 so even with a better camera the X will tie the Pixel at best.

21. iScone macrumors regular

iScone

We have a fair idea yes. But given what it’s powering is different, we don’t know the finer details.

All this is redundant of course if you just want the best iPhone m, which will be most people’s position.

22. nilk macrumors 6502a

I get the hate for any of GAFAM (Google, Apple, Facebook, Amazon, Microsoft); they are big corporations doing big corporate things which are often user-hostile and driven by their own interests. I just happen to think Apple is the least bad option coming out of the big 5, especially for personal computers. In my case, Macs are still the best choice for my personal preferences in attaining a mix of UNIX and apps for video editing, music production, photo management, and various commercial apps I want to use. Windows 10's Linux subsystem is may be making Windows competitive in this area, but I find basic things like mixing in UNIX/Emacs keyboard shortcuts is a better experience on macOS.

On the phone side, if you care about privacy and security, Apple is doing the best in this area (in comparison to the other 4 of GAFAM I mean).

If you can manage to avoid GAFAM on your devices, and stick to only open-source hardware and software, with your data only on machines you fully control, more power to you.

23. Radon87000 macrumors 601

I am getting the Note 8 with microSD for $300 cheaper and it comes with fast charging and wireless charging bundled in. How is the X worth $300 more? I can understand $100 for some of the finer details but $300?

24. ACST macrumors regular

That last thing is absolutely true and it helps that all the new competitors are only coming out now with more or less the same MSRP that the iPhone has (900-1000 dollars), but the value decrease of androids is so insane that in six months (like with the Galaxy S8 now) the price difference between the android flagships and the iPhone flagship is so big.

And I'm wondering when that's becoming too big to where it hurts Apple and people won't just automatically buy the best iPhone. I mean I'm struggling with the price difference between the X and the S8 now and may very well actually buy the S8 instead of the X (which is insane) and I think more people are gonna think that way in 6 months time when the X is still a 1000 bucks and all the android flagships have fallen below 6-700 dollars (let alone Europe where in 6 months time you can buy 2 Android flagships for the price of 1 iPhone X).

The iPhone premium has and will always be here but at what point does that premium become too much.
    --- Post Merged, Oct 7, 2017 ---
    You know that android is open source?

25. The-Real-Deal82 macrumors 601

The-Real-Deal82

I would say the jump from £619 to £999 for a 64GB iPhone is a bigger jump in price than the incremental increases we’ve seen over the past 10 years.

Whether it costs Apple more to make is irrelevant. When have consumers ever looked at products and analysed their bill of materials in order to justify whether it’s ok to buy it at a certain price? We don’t care at the end of the day and it’s down to Apple to make their supply chain efficient and reliable in order to deliver products at a desirable price. If the price creeps up more than £300 then it’s no wonder you have people asking why? The iPhone X is more than I’d pay for a laptop and nearly 3 times the price of the 2017 iPad I own so naturally I’ve decided it’s a bit excessive for a mobile phone.

Personally I think the price has taken a lot of the excitement out of this years iPhone, especially in Europe.