Dumbfounded by all the hate.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by StudioSanctum, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Relentless Power macrumors G5

Relentless Power

But I think every iPhone user has a different definition of what they consider innovation and what they appreciate for the latest technology offered. I don't necessarily believe that every iPhone user has the same view points of what they consider to be innovative. I have read comments where others have said Face ID was a horrible idea and not innovative, and then other iPhone users are claiming this is the future for the iPhone's security. So naturally, they will be differing opinions on what others believe is innovative with technology.

2. sammy2066 macrumors 6502a

The hatred comes from true evangelists that have been users of Apple products since the very beginning, and not just since they became popular and gained mass appeal. Some us knew what Apple once was, and what its philosophies with respect to products, designs and saying 'no' to hundreds of ideas to really focus on the 'good' ideas were. The hatred stems when you see a gradual departure from the philosophies a company used to espouse, to the point where you no longer recognize the company you once evangelized. For those people that I just described, price is never a concern, ever.

3. cyb3rdud3 macrumors 6502a

Evangelista really?

I’ve also been using Apple produce since the 80s. But come times changes and the world moves on.

I’ve tried several times to go to Android, Windows, Windows Phone etc. But one thing I realise the grass is not greener. The specs are there on paper but it isn’t really that usueable.

Take what they’ve done with the watch. Yes there have been smart watches with built in SIM cards and modems, but they were ****. There was no handoff between mobile phone and the watch, let’s alone with your desktop or tablet as well. Just as an example.

There are many more. Take the S7 Edge (I haven’t used an S8). Looked great, but you can’t hold or operate the thing in one hand without constantly doing something.

Features are great, but only when they are implemented well and don’t get in the way.

4. sammy2066 macrumors 6502a

Not really sure what you're trying to get at. I've been using both an iPhone 7 running iOS 11 and a Pixel XL running Oreo for the last several months. In my view, with the exception of the horrid Phone app, Android currently deals with quick toggles and notifications in a far more elegant way than iOS.

As for your completely illogical and out of place argument relating to the S7 Edge -- no device since the iPhone 5 has been fit for one-handed operation. In fact, that's the whole reason why 'Reachability' was touted as a fix. Now, the iPhone X is no more usable in one hand than any other device it seeks to replace or supercede, but funny enough, Reachability has mysteriously disappeared, forcing people use the device with both hands. Chalk that up as another one of Apple's esoteric UI decisions which has left me, for the lack of a better word, dumbfounded.

5. Ries macrumors 68000

The screen on the X is also dim compared to todays OLED.

6. MBX macrumors 65816

- The notch (ugly)

- Price (yikes)

- Fast charging adapters/ cables not included as standard like other with brands and at this steep price should've been.

- The screen brightness (nits) almost half of the S8 and half of that of the Note 8 which comes in at 1200.

- Only available starting November and possibly not until early 2018 for most while Samsung's Galaxy S8 was out half a year before and still looks better than the X.

And so on...

You can understand why people are annoyed with Apple.

7. geekiemac macrumors member

geekiemac

My thoughts on the 11 pages of this topic:

- Otherwise rational people getting so upset and emotional about a device shows how far we have come in our dependency (?) to our smartphones who have grown to be an intricate part of our self... just a side note :)

- Everybody talks about "innovation" or the lack of it, but if we take a step back, while the introduction of the iPhone (and of touchscreen-based smartphones in general) was a real change in the sense it revolutionised our mobile phone way of usage, this same usage hasn't evolved much in these past 10 years. Apart from some peripheral changes (i.e. accessibility, apps, speed, screen resolution, better cameras etc.) we still use a smartphone pretty much the same way than after the 2007 revolution. So why do you expect a "revolution" in these devices if you're using them just as before? as long as anyone hasn't really devised a full new way to use a portable device like a smartphone, we will be "stuck" with the same kind of device - just faster, bigger, smarter. The AppleWatch was (or is) such a game changer because people have discovered a new way to track their activities or to see notifications or do simple tasks which don't require a smartphone.

My conclusion is that as long as you don't expect a revolution, you'll be happy with whichever improvements you get from your favorite company (Apple, Samsung, etc.).
    If you expect a revolution it's because you know exactly what is missing and therefore what you need to have. Back in 2007, we had our touchscreen+stylus 320x480px PDA's (personal digital assistants, e.g. Palm and the like) and we dreamed about such a device being able to make phone calls. We talked about it in forums and couldn't understand why device manufacturers wouldn't bring what we want. Then the iPhone arrived, and that was it - what we all were dreaming about, what we all had waited for, for so long.

And now... what is it that you want (apart from a better screen, OLED, speed, memory, etc.) I mean, what are the REAL changes you'd expect on your mobile device, to do stuff which you can't do now? This is what we should be focusing on, not complaining on what exists. :)

8. sammy2066 macrumors 6502a

There should be no sympathy for Apple for standing by and embracing an ugly design - that's just denial and hubris. This almost reminds me of Forstall getting fired for not acknowledging that Apple Maps sucked in iOS 5.

9. cyb3rdud3 macrumors 6502a

Really so your Pixel seemlessly hands off any notifications, messages and phone calls between your desktop/laptop, tablet, phone and smart watch? You can take your android wear watch out with exactly the same number as your phone with a different sim and have seemless hand off without them being connected via any other protocol. Really?

Well I wish someone would tell that to me, or even my fourteen year old daughter that you can’t use it single handed.

But even playing along what what assertion (not that I agree with it), try using it with both hands nice secure in your hand. The sides get touched by your hands unless perhaps one is super skinny or has hands made of wood. I had a Samsung S7 Edge, absolutely great phone but it would drive me made as I constantly did things that I didn’t intend to do. A shame as I love the feature and thought it was a great idea to have notifications on the edge. That is why I brought it up. Innovations and clever ideas alone aren’t good enough if the useable elements aren’t sorted as well.

10. kazmac macrumors 601

kazmac

I dislike when Apple overcharge and pull unnecessary price hikes and the like. Plus, not fixing software bugs etc.

I am disappointed that the consumer has to constantly keep being up-charged for new tech and when that tech feels like a gimmick. And, too, when the cheapest items in the line are not updated for years.

If I had this year to do all over again, I would have gone SE and an iPad Mini 4 as I realized my actual needs amount to the cheapest iDevice(s) the company makes now. Going forward, that is what I will do (and forgo iPads unless there is a Mini 5 with Pencil support.) I'd rather put that much money into a Mac which I will use for years and get much more usage value imo.

11. Aydy macrumors regular

Aydy

Taylor Swift shall receive the new iPhone for free. She cant "hate" it cost her nothing

12. macsrcool1234 macrumors 65816

Why do you care so much? It's almost as if people can have their own opinions...

13. iop macrumors regular

I think that's where the problem is. In the past Apple's sales relied on a relatively small group of fans. Then they went mainstream with the iphone and other devices. Not long after that came competition (Android, Windows 10). Apple tried to push in their own direction with iOS, but ultimately resorted to copying and adapting in order to stay mainstream and be able to compete with Android. That became their new strategy. But now Apple is trying to go back to the old vision where they dictate what users should and should not like, and it's simply incompatible with staying mainstream.

14. Aydy macrumors regular

Aydy

Also, its using the 1st generation QI standard wireless charging. I find that bizarre. Its just slow AF and was intoduced 6 years ago. QI charging has improved significantly and i get why apple are trying to keep costs down but this is just unacceptable in this day n age. Sometimes i think apple are genuinely trolling

15. powerslave65 macrumors regular

powerslave65

There are those who hate and there are those who are simply here to crack the loyalty of Apple buyers and they may have a financial interest in the outcome. When I see posts that don't follow the rules I report them and move on. This forum was originally to help people who needed answers to problems with Apple software or hardware and info on products current and upcoming. Everything else is just noise.

16. Aydy macrumors regular

Aydy

Thank god for you and other forum police. Good for you.

17. Icaras macrumors 603

Icaras

OP, not sure you're if a long time lurker but since you've joined just recently, it's a normal thing that people like to do on this site every time a new product is announced. Don't listen to the hate. Instead, read well informed tech reviews and pay attention to Apple's quarterly earnings reports and it squashes any negative connotations you might be reading.

18. StudioSanctum thread starter macrumors member

StudioSanctum

I myself have been an Apple user for over 20 years. I understand Apple as good as anyone I think. Sadly, Steve is no longer with us. He isn’t coming back either.

19. umbrokhan macrumors member

20. staggerlee41 macrumors regular

staggerlee41

Excellent post! I could not have said it any better.

21. umbrokhan macrumors member

• iPhone 8's were just year over year iterative of the 7's and offered no value.
    • Essential was a dud because it had no wireless charging, no headphone jack, and wasn't IP68 certified.
    • $1K for a phone??? FAIL FAIL FAIL
    • Apple charged outrageous prices for dongles.

Fast forward to the Pixel unveiling and suddenly:

• Regular Pixel and XL 2 are AMAZING despite being only incrementally different than last year's versions (the regular one being virtually identical).
    • No wireless charging. No headphone jack. BUT OH MY GOD STILL AMAZING.
    • Pixel XL with no wireless charging, no headphone jack is almost 1K?? SUCCESS SUCCESS SUCCESS GOOGLE'S GOT IT GOIN ON!!!
    • Google USB C to 3.5 dongle: $20 (Apple's is $9).

22. mebehere macrumors regular

Paragraphs.

23. TheIgster macrumors regular

TheIgster

Actually, as an Android fan, the Pixel devices don't interest me at all. That's a big generalization on your part.

24. Juan007 macrumors 6502a

Juan007

The thing you need to understand about haters is that hating is in their nature. And, they will go for the most successful targets. That's why no matter how many home runs Apple hits, no matter how many times they destroy the competition, delight their users, and make billions for their shareholders, haters will hate Apple even more. Apple could cure cancer tomorrow and haters will hate them for not curing AIDS. Those are the people you are dealing with here, so don't be dumbfounded. It's all in the hater playbook, just step back and shake your head. Haters gonna hate.

25. jimbo1mcm macrumors 68000

Am I supposed to have a warm and fuzzy feeling for Apple when they make you pay $79 to get the fast charging capability where other manufacturers include it? Hate is not the correct word. Disgust might fit better.