Dumbfounded by all the hate.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by StudioSanctum, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Crazy Badger macrumors 65816

Crazy Badger

This time of the year is always the same, and MacRumors should be rebranded to MacHatters for a couple of months.

It starts to bubble up just after WWDC and reaches a crescendo just before the iPhone and iOS/macOS updates. This year I expect it to roll on for another month until the iPhone X is launched, after which it will die down again for another 10 months.

I never understand all the hate and tech company bashing. It's not like people don't have an almost limitless choice of devices and applications at a price point to suit. Lets face it, most peoples computing requirements could be carried out on a 5-6 year old device running an open source OS and applications.

If you don't like something, don't buy it and pick up something else, but don't feel it's neccessary to try and encourage or discourage what others want to buy based on your opinion.

2. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

Yep. Every year, like clockwork. This is nothing new. Not saying it's good or bad, just happens every year.

3. cyb3rdud3 macrumors 6502a

Ah ok, apologies I misunderstood you. So you belief apple is ripping everyone one...

Interesting, do you even know the definition of ripping off?

4. ItnStln Suspended

5. cyb3rdud3 macrumors 6502a

LOL I’ll be ok....I don’t even have British Citizenship and I’m more positive about it...The parallels you are drawing are just simply incorrect, but we’ve gone round in cricles and denial a few rounds new even with your new friend that it is becoming a little pointless.
    --- Post Merged, Sep 16, 2017 ---
    Difference in my opinion is, and I’ve had Galaxy’s and other Android phones, is that whilst they have all the features and more, they simply don’t work that well together...But there are a lot of fans which is good. However they keep making the mistake in comparing paper specs vs usability...

6. Aydy macrumors regular

Aydy

I'm an iPhone user and even i can say that image really does put things in perspective. Im not hating, its just obvious. For me, sadly, apple are no longer 'leading' but whats worse is they are not even doing that great a job of 'following' or at least Keeping Up

7. Crazy Badger macrumors 65816

Crazy Badger

I'd love to know what people expect their mobile phone to do that they doesn't already? I went back and watched Steve's keynote where he introduced the iPhone. It really is one of his best, and at the time introduced a number of genuinely revolutionary technologies. Looking back though, there hasn't really been another one since then, either by Apple or any of the other smartphone manufacturers.

Yes, all the screens have got bigger and better, the processors faster, you get more storage which is also faster, but has there been anything that really pushed things forward? You might argue for touch ID, which made unlocking the device more secure and easier than entering a 4 digit code, but for me that was just evolution rather than revolution. Force Touch improved Multi Touch, along with various gesture controls we all now take for granted, but it was Multi Touch that revolutionised, whilst the others just improved the experience. Wireless is probably the only genuinely revolutionary step forward, and one could argue Apple are leading the way, given they were the first to remove the headphone jack we've used for how many decades?

Smartphones are now like computers, in that there are no longer revolutionary steps forward, and just evolutionary steps which just make things look better and work faster. It's the nature of mature technology. Some MacBook Pro owners might argue a case for the Touch Bar, although I haven't really used it and am still struggling to see how it improves anything at the minute.

If you know what the next revolutionary product might be, good for you. Get to your nearest patent office and file away! I wish I did, but given Apple's track record, I suspect they already have people working on it. All I know is that it's unlikely to be the next iPhone or MacBook ;)

8. Dented macrumors 6502a

Agree with all of that entirely. I also watched that original keynote again recently (anyone that hasn't, should) - it's still thrilling from start to finish, but what really strikes you now is how close to our phones today that first device was. All the fundamentals are there and shown to be working well in a way that most of us could happily use today.

I guess the one major part of the picture that wasn't on show in 2007 was the App Store - but we only had to wait another year for that. From then, as you say, gradual evolution all the way.

9. Jimmy James macrumors 68040

Jimmy James

It's now a glass vs. metal rectangle. It's just case design. Put an aftermarket case on and you've nearly accomplished the same thing. I've never understood why it's such a big deal in the first place.

10. redman042 macrumors 68030

redman042

That image is just a spec comparison. It leaves out a lot of important information. Let's take the CPU. Samsung has more cores. But it's still slower. A lot slower. Go check out the YouTube comparisons for yourself. The iPhone 7 laps the Samsung. Just wait until the X gets tested. The RAM is a similar story. iOS uses that 3GB much more efficiently. And iPhone has a much faster storage controller, so the data gets accessed way faster.

I could go on but I won't. I am not sticking with iPhone because I've invested a lot in the ecosystem or because I'm a blind fanboy. I'm sticking with it because their product continues to be the better choice for me when considering hardware, software, ecosystem, support, build quality, etc.

11. pat500000 macrumors 604

pat500000

Reciting Apple's ethos?

12. michael31986 macrumors 68040

13. nightcap965 macrumors 6502a

nightcap965

Completely agree with your full statement, but wanted to add one possible use for Touchbar: Touch ID. I use 1Password as my top-sekrit-password-lockbox, and because it's my top-sekrit-password-lockbox, I protect it with a really strong, really long (but memorable) password. And every blessed time I need to look up a password or other identification information, I have to type in that really strong, really long, really tedious password. I'd love to be able to just give it the finger. It's almost enough to make me want to buy a new MacBook. Maybe the next MacBook Pro will have Face ID!

14. Septembersrain Contributor

Septembersrain

I don't hate. I'm disappointed. I've faced so many issues and others have as well.

First off, the only iPhone I've had no trouble with was my 5c.

The 5s I got had dead pixels. The replacement had a really yellow screen.
    I settled.

The 6s I got first has the battery issue. The second I got had the Samsung chip so it has terrible battery life compared with the defective first one that had TSMC. I settled once more.

I went through 3 SE models and two had logic board issues. I found out they were from the same batch. The third I got was traded in for that second 6s as I just didn't feel that device suited me after all I'd went through at Apple. Yep, I settled once again.

The 7 Plus was a device I thought was beautiful in its jet black coloring. Shame was I didn't realize the difference between Intel and Qualcomm was so stark. I was already stuck paying with T-Mobile on EIP and Apple couldn't help me. They couldn't have cared less that I got almost no signal and slow speeds. I still depend on my 6s with an Apple battery case since you know, horrible battery life but gets good signal. So I'm here, settling once again.

Meanwhile my first Note 3 still works perfectly. Gets signal everywhere. Has only needed the battery replaced. It's not slow, hasn't caused me trouble, and I didn't (and still don't) feel like I settled.

IOS 11 has such odd bugs, the huge words in apps, the strange visual glitches, etc.

Add in the new iPhones aren't gigabit LTE capable and band 71 (600mHz) for T-Mobile isn't available on any device...

I'm just over it.

Not everyone has luck like I do with Apple products. For them, the product suits them. To each their own right?

15. Deeds500 macrumors regular

Spot on.
    He is right, the people who you think are hating on Apple are hating on the X, obviously Apple is the maker of the X so all their frustration is directed towards Apple.

16. jamesrick80, Sep 16, 2017
    Last edited: Sep 16, 2017

jamesrick80 macrumors 68020

jamesrick80

The Greatest Post Ever.
    Increased ram from 4 GB to 6 GB, single rear camera system went to a dual camera system with dual OIS, improved display from S8 with increased brightness and 100% DCI P3 color support instead of 90% from S8, slightly larger display than S8 plus .....if you add these things up with the S pen it's worth a extra $200.00.

17. bpeeps macrumors 68020

bpeeps

Rofl. That's not how the first amendment works.

18. Duncanator macrumors 6502

Duncanator

I have had numerous iPhones and I am currently using the Note 8. If it works, I'll ust it. However, Apple is not being innovative. If they actually came up with something new I would hop back over. But I know they have fanboys who will be lead along and buy whatever they promote.

19. jasonklee macrumors 6502a

jasonklee

Specs over software. Always. Apple wastes time with digital lifestyle apps: iWork and iLife. Literally, waste of time. Samsung is a BETTER phone because it doesn't have iMovie, GarageBand, Clips, Music Memos, Pages, Keynote. Also, I am confused why Apple would waste their time with News, iBooks, Health. Samsung doesn't waste time making Final Cut Pro or Logic. They don't have a software portfolio whereas Apple spends way too much time making productivity and creativity apps no one uses.

Stop trying to make the iPhone into a tool and start making it a work of art like the sexy and revolutionary Samsung Galaxy S8.

20. Synomenon macrumors regular

True in most cases. Most people can't or won't take the time these days to sit down and try things out though so most will go by the spec. sheet laid out for them by the manufacturers.

Yeah at least most of that stuff doesn't come pre-loaded... and even for the pre-loaded stuff on iOS, most you can get rid of from your home screen.

I use my iPhone ALOT at work, though it's mostly MS Office applications, the camera app., and Service-Now (a ticketing system for work).

21. Gathomblipoob macrumors 601

Gathomblipoob

Or customers who actually like and enjoy using their product.

22. BenTrovato macrumors 68020

BenTrovato

There's too many users on this forum who remember the days when Apple would improve with every iteration and although the prices were expensive, we could still stomach it. Now we can't stomach the prices and the innovation just doesn't make sense and that's why there's hatred. It's not really a shocker, it actually makes a lot of sense.

23. iScone macrumors 6502

iScone

The hate largely means nothing. It falls into one of three categories:

1. People who're looking for attention
    2. Apple haters who won't like anything because they dislike the company
    3. Bloggers who are looking for views/subscribers

There are people who genuinely don't like the look of it, but anybody being reasonable and proportionate will simply wait for reviews and the opportunity to play with it in store.

The over-reaction by some here and by some of the YouTube channels desperately using this to establish their relevance is comically absurd.

24. whtrbt7 macrumors 6502a

Like Taylor Swift says: “the haters gonna hate”. It’s just a human thing to do when you feel that your point of view trumps others. Initially they get attention but then they lose traction due to negativity.

25. pat500000 macrumors 604

pat500000

OR taylor swift says "look what you made me do...." Tay goes online and buys 8 series....