Early iPhone 7 Case Has No Headphone Jack and Stereo Speaker Cutouts

Crossmax

macrumors member
Oct 23, 2013
Why is this even a rumor? Anyone can make a case, it's not exactly any proof that they know anything about the design and dimensions of the iPhone 7.

bingeciren

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2011
Looks like the 6s will be my last IPhone :-(

I know this is just a rumor but nothing can surprise me from Apple now. That's what happens when you make too much money and forget what innovation is...

I guess our generation is ok with mediocre sound
My sentiments exactly !

Last edited:
Reactions: milo and beanbaguk

Mac 128

macrumors 603
Apr 16, 2015
And there is a difference in most crappy SBC compression and even MP3. Besides IIRC all my iTunes downloads are AAC, ... So this is comparing a Ford with a Porsche, ...
Btw. Mac OS X at times even needs hacking for SBC not to sound totally awful, ...
http://rene.rebe.de/2010-05-08/tip-of-the-week-fixup-mac-os-x-a2dp-bitrate/

When you think I buy a lighting headphone just for the latest Apple product you are wrong. I can neither use it on my MacBook Pro then, nor any other regular device. Like a TV or a Revox B77 or wherever.

And when I forget it or loose it I have no easy replacement at hand while traveling?
I don't understand why you would bring up old technology and previous standards when discussing Apple's cutting edge tech products. If Apple removes the headphone jack, they will be offering the latest wireless codecs alongside of it. Of course Bluetooth has had a troublesome past, as does all technology, but my current BT headphones are pretty fantastic, and they're not even the best I could buy.

As for Lightning, just like the conversion from 30-pin to Lightning, you'll eventually be able to use it natively on all future Apple products. For the rest there are adapters. I'd argue that most people use their headphones with one primary device like their phone anyway. And you won't have to buy a Lightning headphone, because Apple will give you one free with your phone. You may not even have to buy a 3.5mm adapter to use them with older Apple and other legacy products (but probably). Perhaps the only inexpensive adapter you will have to buy will be to use older wired headphones with newer Apple products.

And just like the ubiquitous 30-pin and now Lightning connectors, eventually you'll be able to find adapters almost everywhere as well. In the meantime, don't upgrade to the latest iPhone until there's a better support system in place to protect you while you travel.
[doublepost=1457538343][/doublepost]
I'm getting more and more depressed with these rumours.

Samsung will be rubbing their hands together if this is genuinely what Apple are going for. I'm not "due an update" until the 7S, however if no 3.5mm jack turns up, all I can say is good bye iPhone. It's been fun.
And when the competition removes their 3.5mm Jack? What will you do then?

Do you honestly think Apple would remove a universally used port, if the competition weren't also in a similar position of needing to remove their Jack as well?

Reactions: mdelvecchio

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
So, there's room for stereo speakers instead of a 3.5mm audio pin. I love it.

i wonder who the board will appoint as CEO to bring back the 3.5mm pin for the 7s.
nobody, since Apple is doing better than ever and better than any public corporation in the history of mankind under Tim Cook. it will continue with the 7, legacy 3.5mm port or no.

me, BT headphones are fine. if I needed more fidelity I'd use an adapter. yawn.

StoneJack

macrumors 65816
Dec 19, 2009
I have Sennheiser Momentum on ear, JVC, Pioneer and Sony headphones.
I even remember using 2.5-3.5mm adaptor on my Nokia E71.
So looking towards getting better digital sound and better DAC on new iPhone and don't mind Lightning adaptor at all if it will make sound better.

mdelvecchio

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2010
Cool, I'll be watching the short interest on AAPL. Proprietary headphones is a big f u to the users. And only allowing the best camera on the ridiculously sized phablet is insane (I know the 6+ has marginally a better camera that the 6) Everything Apple has done in the last 2 years have pushed me more towards a Droid or maybe it's time to look at a Windows phone.

Lastly they need to put the sleep button back up on top. I can't tell you how many times I've been recording a video and I hit that damn button!!!!
what nonsense. using lighting or BT headphones doesn't insult me, so you're wrong.

and to build opinions on mere rumors like the cameras is pure foolishness.

enjoy your Win phone.

bingeciren

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2011
It's not just you. It's a poor design. You have to grip it to be able to squeeze the power button, and end up pressing in on the volume buttons too which doesn't end up locking the phone. I do it every day, constantly. Squeeze...squeeze...SQUEEZE JUST PRESS THE STUPID POWER BUTTON!

I'm sure that the consensus here will be "Hmm, I don't have that problem, it must be you therefore there is no problem and you're making it up", but you're not alone, trust me.
Wow, I thought I was the only one cursing to this stupid design for having the power button on the opposite side of the volume button. How many times I thought that Ive is either losing it or he simply doesn't use the phone he designs. He probably thought that since the 6 is taller than 5, people would have a hard time reaching the power button at the top, so let's move it to the side. Guess what? Every time I want to adjust the volume, I end up squeezing the power button. Failed UI designed by the world renowned designer. It proves that even the best can make mistakes.

Reactions: Rastapopoulos

AbSoluTc

macrumors 601
Sep 21, 2008
Cool, I'll be watching the short interest on AAPL. Proprietary headphones is a big f u to the users. And only allowing the best camera on the ridiculously sized phablet is insane (I know the 6+ has marginally a better camera that the 6) Everything Apple has done in the last 2 years have pushed me more towards a Droid or maybe it's time to look at a Windows phone.

Lastly they need to put the sleep button back up on top. I can't tell you how many times I've been recording a video and I hit that damn button!!!!
Really enjoying all the extremist remarks about the missing headphone jack. So what. You now have a 3.5mm to lightning adapter. All your headphones still work. What's the problem? You don't like better sound? Oh, you need an adapter now. The one that probably comes IN the box.

The plus is well, a flagship phone. Get over it. There is choice across the board and Apple has done a great job with give us that. However, there are people bitching still. Get over it.

Go get that Android/Winmo phone you've always wanted. I enjoy watching iOS users cry out how they're going to switch to one of the worst OS in the industry. Bye.

guychicago

macrumors 6502
Jan 25, 2010
Chicago
Don't care about stereo speakers. Reading anandtech's latest review of Samsung S7, they revised their battery benchmarks to reflect real world use more accurately, it is clear the 6s is going to suffer. The S7 gets almost as much battery life as the 6s plus. Apple - Do something about the dismal battery life.

Reactions: Benjamin Frost

npmacuser5

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2015
External change to look and feel will remain minimal until the phone becomes flexible.

Rigby

macrumors 601
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
Maybe Apple will increase the quality of sound? And at the same time increase Apple Music sound quality, this would be a good reason to remove the headphone jack.
The headphone jack does not limit audio quality in any way. Audio has to be converted to analog in any case. Moving the DAC from the device into the cable or headphones does nothing to improve quality and only makes everything more expensive and cumbersome, especially if you use a proprietary digital connector that isn't compatible to anything else.

If Apple really sacrifices what is probably the most widely used connector in consumer electronics for stupid "stereo" speakers that are an inch apart, they have truly lost their way.

NachoGrande

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2010
what nonsense. using lighting or BT headphones doesn't insult me, so you're wrong.

and to build opinions on mere rumors like the cameras is pure foolishness.

enjoy your Win phone.
That's good that it doesn't insult you, but explain to me in non millennial speak how what doesn't insult you has anything to do with my purchases. :rolleyes:

bingeciren

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2011
I will crowdfund an own phone then ;-)

I indeed had a 128GB iPhone 6, but I got tired of paying Apple's flash premium and only got a 64GB iPhone 6S. Especially as they started to overcharge European customers even more by increasing the prices.

And there is a difference in most crappy SBC compression and even MP3. Besides IIRC all my iTunes downloads are AAC, ... So this is comparing a Ford with a Porsche, ...
Btw. Mac OS X at times even needs hacking for SBC not to sound totally awful, ...
http://rene.rebe.de/2010-05-08/tip-of-the-week-fixup-mac-os-x-a2dp-bitrate/

When you think I buy a lighting headphone just for the latest Apple product you are wrong. I can neither use it on my MacBook Pro then, nor any other regular device. Like a TV or a Revox B77 or wherever.

And when I forget it or loose it I have no easy replacement at hand while traveling?

I do not understand why some people desperately seek to make their life more complicated which each new iDevice, ...
I wonder how many people on this forum really knows what a Revox B77 is. You and I represent the minority my friend

Dave245

macrumors 604
Sep 15, 2013
The headphone jack does not limit audio quality in any way. Audio has to be converted to analog in any case. Moving the DAC from the device into the cable or headphones does nothing to improve quality and only makes everything more expensive and cumbersome, especially if you use a proprietary digital connector that isn't compatible to anything else.

If Apple really sacrifices what is probably the most widely used connector in consumer electronics for stupid "stereo" speakers that are an inch apart, they have truly lost their way.
It is a little troubling, I use my iPhone for music everyday! I brought a pair of headphones last year which use the headphone jack, I'm not sure if I'd be happy to buy another pair this soon, Especally having paid £169 for them. However what does have me interested is the rumour that Apple are working on a pair of truly wireles (like the bragidash) earphones to be announced/released at the same time as the iPhone 7.
This would make sense if Apple are planning to remove the headphone jack, but of course at this point it's all just rumour, Apple might not have even finalised the iPhone 7 design yet.

Reactions: milo and beanbaguk

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
This is dumb, I'm sorry. There is definitely no way apple has decided on the final version of the phone by now and stuff like this shouldn't get press.
Huh? You think apple waits until the month before? It takes at least 4-5 months to produce 300+ million units of these things. That means designs are finalized at least 6 months before. Which is....just about now.
[doublepost=1457539884][/doublepost]
That camera cutout looks very similar to the one on the case for my 5s which only has one camera, so to assume 2 cameras based on that is a huge stretch.
That was partly because the flash was "much" bigger on the 5S, due to the pill shaped flash, before they were joined. If you look at iPhone 5 cases, they were much like 6 and 6S cases in terms of the cut out. But you're right, it's not guaranteed, as there are always at least some case manufacturers who do put a very large cut out in, regardless.

pika2000

macrumors 603
Jun 22, 2007
Not sure how one can deduce the lack of headphone jack in this mockup. It could simply be the cutouts are made symmetrical, and one side still has a headphone jack and microphone. What a way to make up news from nothing.

Reactions: Godzirra

Apple blogger

macrumors 6502a
Feb 28, 2013

While the iPhone 7 is not expected to launch until September, French leaker Steve Hemmerstoffer has shared photos one of the first cases prepared for Apple's next-generation flagship smartphone.

The case has a larger cutout for either a traditional camera and LED flash setup, or possibly dual cameras. There are also two openings for stereo speakers in lieu of a 3.5mm headphone jack on current iPhones.

iPhone 7 case with larger cutout for dual-lens camera (Image: OnLeaks)

The aftermarket case's form factor closely resembles an iPhone 6s overall, with cutouts for a possible all-in-one Lightning connector, pill-shaped volume buttons, and side-facing power button in their traditional places.

Early case leaks have historically been fairly accurate indicators of new iPhone designs, though there have been a few notable exceptions. The first cases for Apple's purported iPhone SE also surfaced last week ahead of its expected March 21st launch.

The case also has openings for stereo speakers on the bottom (Image: OnLeaks)

Multiple rumors have also claimed the iPhone 7 will feature a dual-lens camera system. The hardware could be based on technology Apple acquired from LinX Imaging, which could lead to brighter and clearer DSLR-quality photos and several other major advantages for the iPhone 7 cameras.

Meanwhile, Barclays analysts believe the iPhone 7 will have dual speakers supplied by Cirrus Logic, an Austin-based provider of analog and digital signal processing components for consumer electronics. Stereo speakers could be louder and route audio signals through two channels to simulate direction perception.

Update: A previous version of this article said the case has a cutout for dual cameras, but the opening may only be large enough for a traditional single camera and LED flash setup. Some rumors claim the dual camera setup may be exclusive to the iPhone 7 Plus, which reportedly may be called the iPhone Pro.

Article Link: Early iPhone 7 Case Has No Headphone Jack and Stereo Speaker Cutouts
Wow! Why don't you see the current iPhone 6 covers you will find the same dual cameras

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
I don't know why they think stereo speakers are going to be more useful to most people than a headphone jack. I am dubious of speakers so close together providing much of a stereo field... at least for most people:
Tbh I think as some have mentioned, it's going to be more about potentially not blocking the sound depending on how you're using the phone (holding it in landscape, holding it with your thumbs on the side [covering a speaker] - would block the speaker depending on if you tilt left or right), and this would prevent speaker blockage. However, calling it stereo speakers and having a nice "stereo" effect will go far for the marketing team. It's likely going to be the same crap sound (clear enough though), but from two different holes now.
[doublepost=1457540096][/doublepost]
Looks like it will have the same dimensions with the mega big top/bottom bezels and that odd home button parallel to the volume button. Featuring a thinner body and less battery life.
Read my mind!!
[doublepost=1457540442][/doublepost]
If we're getting stereo sound, why not put the other speaker on the top of the phone, so when you watch a video you'll have stereo sound. Two speakers on the bottom of the phone would be too close together to matter, and people typically watch media in landscape mode anyway. Then the 3.5mm jack could remain as well.
But then where would apple house their Apple tax enclave?