Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
I've been taking a sulfur compound for a while and it's working wonders. I semi-rolled my left foot a few days ago. There's a stiffness here and there, and some fluid retention. Nothing painful, though. I caught myself before it rolled too much. I was being very clumsy outside when it happened. So that kills my runs for a while. o_O

I've been trying to incorporate more vegetables into my diet. Going as far as blending a tasty drink in the mornings consisting of ginger, lemon or other citrus, tart or sweet apple, parsley/cilantro, spinach, scoop of that seaweed powder stuff I can't remember the name of, celery, cucumber, dash of turmeric, fresh mint and basil from the garden, coconut water, etc.

Haven't noticed an energy change per se, but then again I've been doing this for a while, just not at this level. Mood wise, I'm happier and fuller longer. And this beats taking metamucil. I find I can function for longer with little sleep on this stuff. Kids began teething again this past weekend so I was pretty much without sleep. I went 19 hours without being tired before it coming on suddenly. Nothing a 2 hour nap didn't fix. :cool:

Reactions: Huntn

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Might be the last warm week we have. I keep saying that but the weather surprises us...

Took off early from work and proceeded to do two hours of laps. Water was a bit cold but I didn't think to set the heater in the morning. We're expecting mid to high eighties until next week. May set the heater then. :)

My left foot is now healed. I can go running again. Up until last week, there was a click from the joint with each step. It's gone now and there's no stiffness. Just need to be careful when walking on knobbly grass (tree roots).

Reactions: JamesMike

JamesMike

macrumors 603
Nov 3, 2014
Oregon
Might be the last warm week we have. I keep saying that but the weather surprises us...

Took off early from work and proceeded to do two hours of laps. Water was a bit cold but I didn't think to set the heater in the morning. We're expecting mid to high eighties until next week. May set the heater then. :)

My left foot is now healed. I can go running again. Up until last week, there was a click from the joint with each step. It's gone now and there's no stiffness. Just need to be careful when walking on knobbly grass (tree roots).

It maybe better to start walking and then progressing back to running.

Reactions: 0388631

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I got an unexpected week off during the storm, but I'm back up to 40 laps with a light weight workout after my swim and this seems to be helping. I've not noticed the recurring shoulder issue return. <knock on wood> :)

That's great news. Hope it stays that way.

After a month of the swim and light weight combo, this strategy seems to be working. I’m back up to 50 laps, followed by a variety of light weight 30-70lb, focused on arms, chest, abs, lower back, and torso. Shoulder issues have not returned. Plus, I’m inspired and stretching, which I should have been doing all along. Total time spent in gym about 2 hrs, 3 times a week.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
I think James is suggesting you ease back into running with the walk / run method.
Makes sense. A mile at a 13 minute pace then? When the weather gets cold, in my case, 46*F for an hour or two midday and then back down, I tend to go easy on the running. That cold air destroys me.
[doublepost=1507180385][/doublepost]
After a month of the swim and light weight combo, this strategy seems to be working. I’m back up to 50 laps, followed by a variety of light weight 30-70lb, focused on arms, chest, abs, lower back, and torso. Shoulder issues have not returned. Plus, I’m inspired and stretching, which I should have been doing all along. Total time spent in gym about 2 hrs, 3 times a week.
Glad to hear! A lot of joint issues take a long time to heal. I've read this is due to how much we use them on a day to day basis. In terms of shoulders, I've also read that doing presses with weight to hit the anterior, medial and posterior of the deltoid strength if not encourage it to grow to hold the shoulder together, but also strengthens the small muscle/tendon combo within the shoulder keeping it in place.

Regardless, weight lifting is important as you get older. There's been numerous studies showing the glowing effects it has on men and women as they get older.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Makes sense. A mile at a 13 minute pace then? When the weather gets cold, in my case, 46*F for an hour or two midday and then back down, I tend to go easy on the running. That cold air destroys me.
[doublepost=1507180385][/doublepost]
Glad to hear! A lot of joint issues take a long time to heal. I've read this is due to how much we use them on a day to day basis. In terms of shoulders, I've also read that doing presses with weight to hit the anterior, medial and posterior of the deltoid strength if not encourage it to grow to hold the shoulder together, but also strengthens the small muscle/tendon combo within the shoulder keeping it in place.

Regardless, weight lifting is important as you get older. There's been numerous studies showing the glowing effects it has on men and women as they get older.

It’s as if swimming focuses on certain muscles, but these weight exercises focus on others, or stress my arm and shoulder muscles in a different way, strengthening my ability to swim. When I started with the weight machines, I had just cut a swim session short because I was getting a feeling like a tendon/ligament issue in my elbow to shoulder area, but it did not bother me at all to use light weights, that felt like they were taxing my muscles greater than the muscle stress I feel when swimming, if that makes sense.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
It does. Good to read you're doing better.

I manged to do about 90 minutes of laps yesterday with a quick 15 minute break to get some fluids in and a snack. It was hot and the heat kept up until well after sunset. Ended up spraying myself with some waterproof sunblock so I didn't burn much. We're due to have similar weather until Wednesday before it knocks back down again.

Also gave me a chance to do a close inspection of the pool. No issues. Checked out some of the lines to see if anything was corroded or full of deposits. Pretty clean. I do need to refresh the insulation on some pump and whatnot panels, but pretty good.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
It does. Good to read you're doing better.

I manged to do about 90 minutes of laps yesterday with a quick 15 minute break to get some fluids in and a snack. It was hot and the heat kept up until well after sunset. Ended up spraying myself with some waterproof sunblock so I didn't burn much. We're due to have similar weather until Wednesday before it knocks back down again.

Also gave me a chance to do a close inspection of the pool. No issues. Checked out some of the lines to see if anything was corroded or full of deposits. Pretty clean. I do need to refresh the insulation on some pump and whatnot panels, but pretty good.

We have a pool but it’s only 35’ long, good to splash in but not ideal for laps.
[doublepost=1507389154][/doublepost]
I've been taking a sulfur compound for a while and it's working wonders. I semi-rolled my left foot a few days ago. There's a stiffness here and there, and some fluid retention. Nothing painful, though. I caught myself before it rolled too much. I was being very clumsy outside when it happened. So that kills my runs for a while. o_O

I've been trying to incorporate more vegetables into my diet. Going as far as blending a tasty drink in the mornings consisting of ginger, lemon or other citrus, tart or sweet apple, parsley/cilantro, spinach, scoop of that seaweed powder stuff I can't remember the name of, celery, cucumber, dash of turmeric, fresh mint and basil from the garden, coconut water, etc.

Haven't noticed an energy change per se, but then again I've been doing this for a while, just not at this level. Mood wise, I'm happier and fuller longer. And this beats taking metamucil. I find I can function for longer with little sleep on this stuff. Kids began teething again this past weekend so I was pretty much without sleep. I went 19 hours without being tired before it coming on suddenly. Nothing a 2 hour nap didn't fix. :cool:

What does sulfer do? I’ve been consuming the Target brand of Metamucil for 2 decades and swear by it. :) I started taking it when I was doing the Atkins diet. I’m convinced it does a lot for colon health, helping overcome any diet shortcomings that impact digestive health.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Joint health. Mainly MSM, not sulfar in general. Metamucil is just psyllium powder. I buy an unflavored brand by the pound and shake or stir it in juice or iced tea. Yes, I agree, it does help with a lot.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Ouch! :( Were you exercising at the time?
Thankfully I was not. I imagine the severity of the injury would have been far, far greater had I been running. Regardless, it sent a jolt into the joint and surrounding soft tissue. It's better now but soft tissue irritation intensifies over the course of a few hours. I take a single naproxen around the time I leave for work and by the time I reach work it's already ebbing away at the pain. I'm good for the next 10ish hours and brace the pain for a few hours until I take something else that's active for 3-4 hours so I can fall asleep.

Speaking of which, good night.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Yeah. Not agreeing with me this morning. Must have tweaked it in my sleep. I skipped wrapping it up thinking I'd be fine.

determined09

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
Mighty interesting considering our current summer is much cooler than previous summers. The last time I recall a summer such as this was seven years ago. Broccoli spoils very quickly once it's been exposed to water or excessive humidity or varying temperature. One thing I know farmers are trying out is quinoa. The year to year demand is growing. The South American countries involved in shipping it out would prefer the US domestic market to not grow it because it's such a good cash crop for them once you take into account the CoL there. I prefer the white variant myself as it's less nutty than the red or brown variants.

If broccoli is bad, then that would mean kale, cabbage, brusselsprouts, etc. or any plant from the brassica genus would suffer from growth issues. They all require cool weather. Though I should look at the tags or bands on the stuff we buy. AFAIK, most of California's produce is shipped out to the rest of the US. We do a fair bit over interstate importing.

Well that's interesting, I found an article that stated that there was a heat wave in Southern California during the summer which explain the bad broccoli. You stated that I should look at the which brand of broccoli. When I called Whole Foods store my state of Texas, they stated that they receive shipments of broccoli from two different farms. Plus, at other grocery stores there is only that blue rubber band with the four digit produce code, no brand name. The broccoli should grow better in fall months. But I'm going to give up on this broccoli situation.

https://www.google.com/amp/losangeles.cbslocal.com/2017/06/15/heat-wave-southern-california-2/amp/
IMG_0969.JPG

Last edited:

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
heat wave in Southern California during the summer which explain the bad broccoli.
California has been experiencing summer heatwaves as long as they've been recorded. It's not a new occurrence. We grow kale ans brussels sprouts, too. They're from the same family as broccoli. These two aren't affected by the hot weather.
[doublepost=1509098739][/doublepost]
blue rubber band with the four digit produce code
The same rubber band is on a lot of green products in all stores, not just Whole Foods. Sometimes they come in pink or red.

determined09

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
California has been experiencing summer heatwaves as long as they've been recorded. It's not a new occurrence. We grow kale ans brussels sprouts, too. They're from the same family as broccoli. These two aren't affected by the hot weather.
[doublepost=1509098739][/doublepost]
The same rubber band is on a lot of green products in all stores, not just Whole Foods. Sometimes they come in pink or red.

But normally I don't buy the broccoli has the rubber around it, I only buying the loose broccoli.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
But normally I don't buy the broccoli has the rubber around it, I only buying the loose broccoli.
You are aware it can be snipped off, right? Grocers have the final say once it reaches their stores. The codes are product codes. Go to Whole Foods and look at an apple. There's going to be a sticker on it with the variety and a code. The farm/grower may be on it, too.

Everything getting shipped out from the grower's processor gets slapped with a code. The grocery may remove it themselves. They're under no legal obligation to keep that band on.

The codes themselves have been around for maybe 20 or so years. Rubber bands have been used for decades. Bands provide a tight fit. Less jostling when being shipped. When you're buying herbs or other delicate food items, you don't want them scabbed, smashed or bruised when they get to the store.

Last edited:

determined09

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
You are aware it can be snipped off, right? Grocers have the final say once it reaches their stores. The codes are product codes. Go to Whole Foods and look at an apple. There's going to be a sticker on it with the variety and a code. The farm/grower may be on it, too.

Everything getting shipped out from the grower's processor gets slapped with a code. The grocery may remove it themselves. They're under no legal obligation to keep that band on.

The codes themselves have been around for maybe 20 or so years. Rubber bands have been used for decades. Bands provide a tight fit. Less jostling when being shipped. When you're buying herbs or other delicate food items, you don't want them scabbed, smashed or bruised when they get to the store.
Yes I'm fully aware that they can cut that off. I'm talking about broccoli now and not apples.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Yes I'm fully aware that they can cut that off. I'm talking about broccoli now and not apples.
Same thing. It's why I offered an example for you to understand instead of constantly debating. It's called a price lookup code, and it's what stores use when taking inventory in. Often, if a band is missing or was removed, the cashier will ask someone from the produce department to grab the code off the sign or their binder of codes. They then manually punch in the code.

You can see an example here:

Cropped-Shrink-Wrap-Broccoli.jpg

And the info lookup:

jT6wSY3.png

These codes and bands are meant for the grocery to use. It's nothing worthwhile to the shopper. The IFPC has a publicly accessible document outlining the codes for ALL produce. You can keep debating and pushing a non-sequitur point and it'd just be trolling.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.