Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
I do, but frankly don't care. Your presumption I'm disgusted by the sick is amusing. I am not. I don't wish to be near the ill because it does a hamper on my mood. While it may come as a shock, I'm an individual who deeply cares about others. When I was younger, I began a PreMed program so that I could work in orthopedics one day. I came to find out a few things. I didn't like the site of blood, a hospital environment made me very uncomfortable and despite my keen interest in medicine at the time, I found the experience too overwhelming to continue.

Personally, I'd rather do anything and everything before visiting the ER. Arguably, most general illness is not inherited but acquired through drug use, eating habits and the usual disregard for their health.

Last edited:
Reactions: Sword86

jdoll021

macrumors 6502
I've been reading this with interest. Reminds me a lot of my ketogenic eating.
No sugar and no grains etc.
As close as possible to zero carbs per day.

I posted earlier in this thread about my lifestyle…

"Hm. Probably a bit of a loner out here as my version of a healthy lifestyle is a bit contrary to the norm.

53 yo, 5'7", 132lbs

HIIT x 3/week
Bodyweight strength training x 3/week
Yoga x 5/week
Most warm/sunny weekends out hiking.

Keto/Low-Carb.
No grains, no sugar.

Life long hay fever sufferer, after cutting out the sugars and grains my hay fever all but disappeared.

Been going this way the past 5 + years.

Works for me. :)"

Fascinating. When I first looked up the Keto Diet, I noticed it was used in the treatment of epilepsy. I didn't know that there were folks who followed it (this is, of course, assuming you don't have epilepsy). The point of the sugar detox is not to cut out sugar entirely, but to kick the addiction to it so that you don't crave it as much. I've since had cake and a donut, but, as the dietitian in the article pointed out, those things are allowed for special occasions (birthday and office breakfast). Since then, I've had no desire to have either at all, whereas previously, I'd be wanting more. The intent is also to have a more healthy and holistic diet that includes shorter lists of ingredients that are more natural (i.e. you can pronounce them). I've used more natural sweeteners, such as honey, and at a much lower level than I used to when I was on the dietary equivalent of crack...sugar.

I've not posted my stats, but here they are:

41 yo, 5'10, 208 lbs

Martial Arts x 4/week
Yoga x 5/week
Walking & Bicycling as often as possible

Vegetarian (formerly low protein diet)
No artificial sweeteners period (look on the label for "Phenylketonurics" and that's why)

Life long PKU patient, and suffered allergies in the Fall until recently.

I've found what works for me is to create a sort of guideline of how to eat, but with the exception of my PKU diet, not worry so much about breaking with it every now and then as long as you stick to it in general. And, more importantly, to forgive yourself for "falling off the wagon" when you do. Makes it easier, for me at least, to get back on.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Anyway, on topic. Four days ago I semi-rolled my left ankle stepping on one of the kids toys. It wasn't remotel painful and I didn't feel anything. Now it "locks up" after a while of being unmoved. Minor resistance before it clicks or cracks. I haven't ran since the incident out of fear there's something funky going on.

Likewise, a week ago I woke up in the morning with my left arm under my pillow and up the backboard. I've definitely pulled something there as there's a pain similar to impingement when I flap my left arm about. It's not always there, which makes it worse. Lower arm tenseness seems to stiffen up the shoulder which hits back later on at the worst of times.

All this done and said after I touted the benefits of taking MSM regularly. :rolleyes: Sucks because we finally have a scorcher of a week where I could swim laps in our pool.

@Huntn Isn't alone in his fight to alleviate his pain.

No artificial sweeteners period (look on the label for "Phenylketonurics" and that's why)
Try stevia. You can buy the plant and then split them. You can also buy an extract powder. Brands vary between what they use based on cost. Do not buy alcohol preparations. Do not buy inulin or dextrose filled products, like the aforementioned KAL.

Reactions: Huntn

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015
When I was setting up to shave the other night, I had trouble removing my wedding ring. Looked at myself in the mirror and started wondering why I wasn't doing enough to offset the sedentary nature of my new desk job.

Time to get back on track. I had taken a "retirement gym selfie" when I was on my way out of my previous job 20 months ago, so I know I can do it.

Reactions: Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Anyway, on topic. Four days ago I semi-rolled my left ankle stepping on one of the kids toys. It wasn't remotel painful and I didn't feel anything. Now it "locks up" after a while of being unmoved. Minor resistance before it clicks or cracks. I haven't ran since the incident out of fear there's something funky going on.

Likewise, a week ago I woke up in the morning with my left arm under my pillow and up the backboard. I've definitely pulled something there as there's a pain similar to impingement when I flap my left arm about. It's not always there, which makes it worse. Lower arm tenseness seems to stiffen up the shoulder which hits back later on at the worst of times.

All this done and said after I touted the benefits of taking MSM regularly. :rolleyes: Sucks because we finally have a scorcher of a week where I could swim laps in our pool.

@Huntn Isn't alone in his fight to alleviate his pain.

Try stevia. You can buy the plant and then split them. You can also buy an extract powder. Brands vary between what they use based on cost. Do not buy alcohol preparations. Do not buy inulin or dextrose filled products, like the aforementioned KAL.
It's good not to be alone, but sorry for your physical challenges.

What really sucks is experiencing the slow death of the last 40 or so years of your life as slowly everything you took for granted about your body is taken away from you. How's that for uplifting? ;)

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2009
i have been buying the liquid stevia from KAL. Seems KAL has changed their ingredients. Can anyone recommend an alternative to KAL?

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
What really sucks is experiencing the slow death of the last 40 or so years of your life as slowly everything you took for granted about your body is taken away from you. How's that for uplifting? ;)
Doesn't apply to everyone. There's been a lot of research on older people and exercise. The correlation between the two is remarkable. Meanwhile, it can be said a professional athlete would tax their body and not live a long life, especially if they played a competitive sport that keeps their BP high and their HB high.
[doublepost=1502243110][/doublepost]
i have been buying the liquid stevia from KAL. Seems KAL has changed their ingredients. Can anyone recommend an alternative to KAL?
What ingredient did KAL introduce? Does it have to be liquid? Any powdered Stevia extract will do. You'll have to find a brand you like. Not all brands are the same. Generally, the pricier an extract, the higher the quality and the better parts of the plant they use. Sometimes you will get unlucky with a batch that isn't very sweet at all. Manufacturers have no problem refunding your money through postage.

I go for the 1 oz bottles myself or the 4 oz if they're out of the 1 oz bottles. It lasts about a year (1 oz) because I rarely want to sweeten my coffee or tea. If you go through a lot, you can pick up 1 lb containers from various brands, but the price ranges from $50-80 depending on the retailer or if you go through the company. 1 lb should sweeten at least 9,000 cups of liquid.

You don't get the small 30-50 mg spoon with the 1 lb containers though. Actually, you might not get them with the 4 oz ones either. You do need this spoon or you can ask your pharmacist for a mg spoon or order one off Amazon.

I've got a 1 oz bottle in the kitchen. I believe I bought it around Christmas and it expires in 2025.

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Doesn't apply to everyone. There's been a lot of research on older people and exercise. The correlation between the two is remarkable. Meanwhile, it can be said a professional athlete would tax their body and not live a long life, especially if they played a competitive sport that keeps their BP high and their HB high.
[doublepost=1502243110][/doublepost]
What ingredient did KAL introduce? Does it have to be liquid? Any powdered Stevia extract will do. You'll have to find a brand you like. Not all brands are the same. Generally, the pricier an extract, the higher the quality and the better parts of the plant they use. Sometimes you will get unlucky with a batch that isn't very sweet at all. Manufacturers have no problem refunding your money through postage.

I go for the 1 oz bottles myself or the 4 oz if they're out of the 1 oz bottles. It lasts about a year (1 oz) because I rarely want to sweeten my coffee or tea. If you go through a lot, you can pick up 1 lb containers from various brands, but the price ranges from $50-80 depending on the retailer or if you go through the company. 1 lb should sweeten at least 9,000 cups of liquid.

You don't get the small 30-50 mg spoon with the 1 lb containers though. Actually, you might not get them with the 4 oz ones either. You do need this spoon or you can ask your pharmacist for a mg spoon or order one off Amazon.

I've got a 1 oz bottle in the kitchen. I believe I bought it around Christmas and it expires in 2025.
Mine was just a general statement regarding aging. After 40, it's on the down hill slope as you deteriorate, just at different rates depending on DNA and how you treat yourself. At 40, I had already noticed significant degradation as compared to 20, the biggest change being metabolically along with developing back issues.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Mine was just a general statement regarding aging. After 40, it's on the down hill slope as you deteriorate, just at different rates depending on DNA and how you treat yourself. At 40, I had already noticed significant degradation as compared to 20, the biggest change being metabolically along with developing back issues.
I haven't experienced that yet. On the other hand, I want to say some are genetically inclined to not experience that. At their passing, most of my grandparents were active until their final illness or natural causes. About a month before one died, he was running a 15K.

On the flipside, I have to be careful with my back because I was not very smart about how I lifted things in my youth. No disc bulges, but very sensitive. Doctor says I need to stretch more, which is something I've been meaning to do for a while. And by while I mean a good 20 years.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I haven't experienced that yet. On the other hand, I want to say some are genetically inclined to not experience that. At their passing, most of my grandparents were active until their final illness or natural causes. About a month before one died, he was running a 15K.

On the flipside, I have to be careful with my back because I was not very smart about how I lifted things in my youth. No disc bulges, but very sensitive. Doctor says I need to stretch more, which is something I've been meaning to do for a while. And by while I mean a good 20 years.
Stretching is huge, preventing many injuries. It was the karate teacher who really got me going with that. It's been thirty years and I never got past green belt, but I did get something out of it... stretching. :)

determined09

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
Quick question, isn’t most of the broccoli that is sold in the USA grown in CA? I'm just asking because I'm having a hard time with finding good broccoli at my local grocery store and most of it looks really bad e.g. brown and starting to turn yellow. Thank you

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Quick question, isn’t most of the broccoli that is sold in the USA grown in CA? I'm just asking because I'm having a hard time with finding good broccoli at my local grocery store and most of it looks really bad e.g. brown and starting to turn yellow. Thank you

Weird, where are you located? The fresh produce at the local Pubs is generally beautiful, and even the "fresh packed" (you know, not loose) from various sources is generally outstanding.

If I run down for some slaw for our tuna tacos, I'll take a photo :D

determined09

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
Weird, where are you located? The fresh produce at the local Pubs is generally beautiful, and even the "fresh packed" (you know, not loose) from various sources is generally outstanding.

If I run down for some slaw for our tuna tacos, I'll take a photo :D

Houston, TX and and even the some fresh food restaurants has some bad looking broccoli, too.

Last edited:

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
Slaw on tuna tacos? As in sweet coleslaw? :confused:

Slaw as in a shredded cabbage mix, and _of_course_ that makes for a killer tuna recipe:

Capture.PNG

Reactions: 0388631

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
I've called the hitman down. Savory spicy slaw is what I use. I typically make it beforehand so the lemon and oil soften it up a little.

determined09

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
Houston, TX and and even the some fresh food restaurants has some bad looking broccoli, too.
I spoke with the person that stocks the vegetable department and they said that CA was having some really hot weather and that makes it harder to grow broccoli.

Last edited:

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
Mighty interesting considering our current summer is much cooler than previous summers. The last time I recall a summer such as this was seven years ago. Broccoli spoils very quickly once it's been exposed to water or excessive humidity or varying temperature. One thing I know farmers are trying out is quinoa. The year to year demand is growing. The South American countries involved in shipping it out would prefer the US domestic market to not grow it because it's such a good cash crop for them once you take into account the CoL there. I prefer the white variant myself as it's less nutty than the red or brown variants.

If broccoli is bad, then that would mean kale, cabbage, brusselsprouts, etc. or any plant from the brassica genus would suffer from growth issues. They all require cool weather. Though I should look at the tags or bands on the stuff we buy. AFAIK, most of California's produce is shipped out to the rest of the US. We do a fair bit over interstate importing.

determined09

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
I went by the fresh food restaurant and the broccoli was bad the other day but at a different location the broccoli was good. So it's just a hit and miss kind of thing.

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
You go to a restaurant just to eat their broccoli? Or is it a side dish you get? Fairly easy stuff to make at home, you know.

determined09

macrumors 65816
Jun 9, 2009
You go to a restaurant just to eat their broccoli? Or is it a side dish you get? Fairly easy stuff to make at home, you know.

No, It's just a side dish to my entree. Yes I know it's easy to make at home. I usually make once a week at home until I ran into problems finding good broccoli at the grocery store.
In addition, Mexico grows broccoli , too.

Last edited:

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
As some of you know, I'm primarily swimming, had a sore shoulder, took a short break for healing, went back to swimming with some adjustments... and my sore shoulder returned. Not serious yet, but annoying.

After my swim the other day, I decided I'd try some very light arm and shoulder exercises on the machines located at my gym. I was thinking that working on muscle strength might help with the soreness I'm experiencing while swimming. Of interest, this pain, general soreness in my left shoulder, more of a burn, not sharp pain, was not noticed when I did my reps which surprised me. Any thoughts on this? I may end up visiting an orthopedic doctor if I can't resolve this.

jeyf

macrumors 68020
Jan 20, 2009
... I may end up visiting an orthopedic doctor if I can't resolve this.
i would if the shoulder limits you but Trump care has its limitations.
Skip the $100/hr advice addiction and like your doing; shift your exercise pattern and allow your shoulder to heal. It might take some time.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
i would if the shoulder limits you but Trump care has its limitations.
Skip the $100/hr advice addiction and like your doing; shift your exercise pattern and allow your shoulder to heal. It might take some time.
I have made adjustments, maybe making more, seems like less laps is the answer. Currently swimming 40 laps, but yesterday swam 30, followed by some very light weight workout. And when I say light, I mean it 20-30 lbs, 50 for presses.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I have made adjustments, maybe making more, seems like less laps is the answer. Currently swimming 40 laps, but yesterday swam 30, followed by some very light weight workout. And when I say light, I mean it 20-30 lbs, 50 for presses.
I got an unexpected week off during the storm, but I'm back up to 40 laps with a light weight workout after my swim and this seems to be helping. I've not noticed the recurring shoulder issue return. <knock on wood> :)

Reactions: 0388631
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.