Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Ok, I’m frustrated. I've gone at least half way working out vigorously 3 times a week, swimming and light weights, for almost 2 years, feel much healthier, but I’ve only lost about 5 lbs. I’m 5’10” tall and weight 220 lbs. In my Prime youth I weighed 175, so I consider myself 45lb over weight.

Today, I met a lady at the pool today who lost 100lbs following Weight Watchers. They don’t feed you, but tell you how to eat. It became obvious to me a long time ago, that in later years of life, diet has more impact on weight than exercise.

I plan on checking out WW, but looking for other suggestions, how to handle diet? Number one, I have to control my desire for sweets. Suggestions appreciated.

Conutz

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2014
Joburg
Ok, I’m frustrated. I've gone at least half way working out vigorously 3 times a week, swimming and light weights, for almost 2 years, feel much healthier, but I’ve only lost about 5 lbs. I’m 5’10” tall and weight 220 lbs. In my Prime youth I weighed 175, so I consider myself 45lb over weight.

Today, I met a lady at the pool today who lost 100lbs following Weight Watchers. They don’t feed you, but tell you how to eat. It became obvious to me a long time ago, that in later years of life, diet has more impact on weight than exercise.

I plan on checking out WW, but looking for other suggestions, how to handle diet? Number one, I have to control my desire for sweets. Suggestions appreciated.

So...your lights weights should start getting heavier. Playing around with light weights is a waste of time and effort - aim for a repetition range of around 12. Muscle needs to be fed and therefore results in more calories consumed - put more of it on, you’ll look better too. I’m not a great fan of excessive cardio either. Do some, but try keep 50-50 with weigh training. Work out four times a week, five if you can, but no less than four.

Cut out sweets, except for one cheat day per week where you can have a portion: but don’t go overboard. Eat lean and healthy food and aim to lose the weight gradually.

Honestly, 45 lbs overweight is low-hanging fruit - maybe not what you want to hear, but the good news is that it should be relatively easy to give your body the nudge it needs.

Reactions: Huntn

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009

Try to ignore the scale and go by feel. Do you feel thinner. Are your trousers loose now than before? Weight implies everything, including any water your body may be holding.

mscriv

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2008
Dallas, Texas
In 2013 I lost 100lbs following a clean eating plan from a local place in the area called Slim4Life. They sell supplements and things like that to help with weight loss, but following the food plan alone will produce great results. There is no prepackaged meals, counting points, or exercise involved. If you would like to know more I'd be happy to share and could even send you the food plan. It's all about portion control and making health choices.

Reactions: obeygiant and Huntn

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
In 2013 I lost 100lbs following a clean eating plan from a local place in the area called Slim4Life. They sell supplements and things like that to help with weight loss, but following the food plan alone will produce great results. There is no prepackaged meals, counting points, or exercise involved. If you would like to know more I'd be happy to share and could even send you the food plan. It's all about portion control and making health choices.
A kind offer, thanks! I would not expect you to mail it too me, but if there is a file, I’d be happy to share my email with you via private conversation. :)
[doublepost=1510362290][/doublepost]
Try to ignore the scale and go by feel. Do you feel thinner. Are your trousers loose now than before? Weight implies everything, including any water your body may be holding.
I feel more muscular, and pants are slightly looser, but, my real goal would be to drop at least 25 lbs to get below 200. Thanks! :)
[doublepost=1510362524][/doublepost]
So...your lights weights should start getting heavier. Playing around with light weights is a waste of time and effort - aim for a repetition range of around 12. Muscle needs to be fed and therefore results in more calories consumed - put more of it on, you’ll look better too. I’m not a great fan of excessive cardio either. Do some, but try keep 50-50 with weigh training. Work out four times a week, five if you can, but no less than four.

Cut out sweets, except for one cheat day per week where you can have a portion: but don’t go overboard. Eat lean and healthy food and aim to lose the weight gradually.

Honestly, 45 lbs overweight is low-hanging fruit - maybe not what you want to hear, but the good news is that it should be relatively easy to give your body the nudge it needs.
Light weight are to support my swimming. I spend about 45 minutes doing 2-3 sets of 30-70lb depending on what I’m exercising. I’ve also incorporated stretching into my routine which is showing results. As far as diet, we tend to eat giant steaks. The plan is to go to splitting a steak when we are eating beef.

Last edited:

Conutz

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2014
Joburg
Light weight are to support my swimming. I spend about 45 minutes doing 2-3 sets of 30-70lb depending on what I’m exercising. I’ve also incorporated stretching into my routine which is showing results. As far as diet, we tend to eat giant steaks. The plan is to go to splitting a steak when we are eating beef.
What I’m getting at is that while you might have specific reasons for what you’re doing, you may want to shake things up if you’re looking for results. Two years is a long time and if you’re not seeing the changes you want, something is wrong with your setup. In 2003, I was also around 45 lbs overweight and decided to make a change. I followed the Body-For-Life program which was popular back then and was able to lose around 40 lbs over a 6-month period. After the first 6-8 weeks, I was losing weight almost at will. I’ve subsequently kept it off by doing mainly weight training with a little cardio. I’m strict with my food intake and the whole lot has just become a lifestyle. Over time, I’ve become aware of what works for my body and this allows me to work out for effect - and this is the key.

While any form of workout is generally better than none at all, ineffective workouts are just that. To make matters worse, it’ll frustrate and ultimately demotivate you. I’d suggest you look at the whole lot again and possibly consult a pro trainer to help you set up a training and meal program.

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
What I’m getting at is that while you might have specific reasons for what you’re doing, you may want to shake things up if you’re looking for results. Two years is a long time and if you’re not seeing the changes you want, something is wrong with your setup. In 2003, I was also around 45 lbs overweight and decided to make a change. I followed the Body-For-Life program which was popular back then and was able to lose around 40 lbs over a 6-month period. After the first 6-8 weeks, I was losing weight almost at will. I’ve subsequently kept it off by doing mainly weight training with a little cardio. I’m strict with my food intake and the whole lot has just become a lifestyle. Over time, I’ve become aware of what works for my body and this allows me to work out for effect - and this is the key.

While any form of workout is generally better than none at all, ineffective workouts are just that. To make matters worse, it’ll frustrate and ultimately demotivate you. I’d suggest you look at the whole lot again and possibly consult a pro trainer to help you set up a training and meal program.
Thanks! My first step is to come up with a decent diet. Sweets are out! ...like I’ve never said that before! :oops:

Conutz

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2014
Joburg
Thanks! My first step is to come up with a decent diet. Sweets are out! ...like I’ve never said that before! :oops:
Pleasure, just do your absolute best and if you fall off the wagon, just get right back on and carry on - but try not to! One tip is to not keep sweets at home...no temptation this way!

Suspended
May 28, 2017
My impression is that at its simplest form that weight gain involves two aspects calories consumed vs calories burned, which can be effected by metabolism.

Yes, pretty much. Metabolism (specifically, fat metabolism) is the one factor that has the greatest impact on your weight long-term. In simple words, fat metabolism is a measure of how efficient your body is at producing energy for work from your fat reserves. A person with a high metabolism (esp. one who engages in intense exercise) can burn calories simply sitting on the couch or standing. Ways to raise metabolism - eat regular meals, exercise regularly (preferably high-intensity exercise), gain muscle (because muscle burns fat).

And yes, weight loss/gain is a numbers game. Generally, to lose 1 lb a week, you need to maintain a caloric deficit of 500 cal / day (i.e. burn 500 cal more than you consume, daily), because 1 lb ~= 3500 calories.

The mistake I've seen most people make is resorting to shortcuts for short-term improvements to get a "summer beach body" and blindly following any of the 100s of one-size-fits-all circuit training tapes out there but ignoring the simple fundamentals of exercise and nutrition, and ignoring the simple fact that each body is different and that the workout needs to be tailored to your body and your abilities/interests for success/enjoyment.

That, or walking 2 hours on a treadmill watching a TV show (which does absolutely nothing beneficial). In other words, the mistake is choosing low-intensity exercise over high-intensity exercise.

In the long run, no shortcuts are going to save anyone.

That said, food is one of the simplest things to be enjoyed in life, so it really comes down to a question of what is more important.

Reactions: Sword86

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I'm going hard[er] core for a couple of months, way more regimented food consumption, low/no booze, big dip in simple carbs, stepping up our normal workouts to 2-2.5X the time weekly. I generally get a little soft this time of year, all the additional travel, excessive (even by our standards :D), weeks of no workout (in Savannah and NYC).

*boom*

Strelok

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2017
United States
I’ve been getting back into working out lately, fell a bit off the wagon this week and didn’t work out for 3 days straight, but today was leg day and I got through it :p. My nutrition isn’t good right now, its something I’ll start working on next week again. My resting HR is around low 60’s, but I’m also young so it doesn’t mean that much. For anyone who is like me and can’t stop themselves from eating carbs, try keto. I did keto for ~6 or so weeks and lost 20lb+, my waist got a lot smaller too so it wasn’t only water weight. I’ll be looking to get back on it in a couple weeks, it’s really the most effective way to lose weight/fat IMO. I also did a low calorie diet a few years ago, but damn it’s tough sticking with that, keto is much easier.

Southern Dad

macrumors 68000
May 23, 2010
Shady Dale, Georgia
January is when I start my closing the rings on my Apple Watch each day and turning my Fitbit green. We’ll see how long I make it this year. I got through June last year.

Suspended
May 28, 2017

Here are some educated guesses as to why you're unable to drop more weight:

- Like you said, sweets (and other simple or high glycemic carbohydrates) or fatty foods

- Your exercise is of low intensity (i.e. doesn't burn energy fast enough, doesn't get your heart going enough, doesn't tax your energy production systems enough) or low complexity (doesn't engage too many muscle groups/joints). You mentioned light weights. What about heavier weights ?

P.S. Regardless of what anyone on this Earth says, when it comes to weight loss (yes, loss ... not just gain), there is no form of exercise that comes close to weight/resistance training. It is the most versatile form of exercise that can be tailored to meet your specific needs and your abilities. Weight training is king.

- Your exercise was of high intensity/complexity when you started, but you've been doing pretty much the same thing over weeks/months, without raising the bar and making your workouts more challenging. (i.e. your body has adapted to the workout and is more energy-efficient with it, thus resulting in less-than-desirable fat burn ... look up "neuromuscular adaptation")

- You're simply eating too much (calories). In an earlier response, I mentioned that to lose 1 lb / week, you need a daily calorie deficit of 500 calories.

- Numerous other factors (see questions below)

To have better insight, I'd need more info from you:

- Your age (impacts testosterone levels (among other things), which impacts muscle retention which impacts metabolism) ?

- Any physical conditions limiting your ability to exercise (e.g. arthritis, herniated disk, COPD, heart conditions) ?

- What exactly is your diet ? How many meals ? How big is each meal ? What are your staple foods ? What foods can you not live without ? How much protein do you consume ? Fats / carbs ?

FWIW, I think those marketed diets / tapes are worthless. There is no substitute for hard work, sacrifice, and a personal trainer who works directly with you.

Last edited:

Gutwrench

Suspended
Jan 2, 2011

I practiced weight management for nearly half my life, not because I needed it but due to athletics. Now I’m not as active so things accumulate so I’ll cut some weight about once every 12 to 18 months. Sometimes it’s just for the challenge. Ha ha.

Assuming a person is healthy the following recipe will work on everyone.

The simple recipe to lose weight is being in a caloric deficit every day. The difficulty is being mentally tough enough to maintain it.

1. Identify your BMR (basically the caloric intake to sustain life with no activity)
BMR Calculator

2. Identify your caloric needs based on your activity level.

To determine that...multiply your BMR by the appropriate activity factor, as follows:

Sedentary (little or no exercise): BMR x 1.2
Lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week): BMR x 1.375
Moderatetely active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week): BMR x 1.55
Very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week): BMR x 1.725
Extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training): BMR x 1.9

3. That calc identifies the daily caloric intake to maintain your current weight based on your lifestyle.

1 pound = 3500 calories.

Calc (above) minus 500 calories per day = 1 pound loss per week which is healthy.

I suggest eating 6-8 times a day and sip on water. But it’s up to you to find what feels best.

Weigh yourself nude after waking. Check once a week and be patient. Weight loss is largely a change in lifestyle not just diet...and it’s a marathon not a sprint.

As you approach your target weight caloric adjustments usually become necessary. But that's a different topic and can be addressed later.

Maintenance is a separate topic too.

Reactions: Huntn and mac666er

Huntn

macrumors Core
Original poster
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
I practiced weight management for nearly half my life, not because I needed it but due to athletics. Now I’m not as active so things accumulate so I’ll cut some weight about once every 12 to 18 months. Sometimes it’s just for the challenge. Ha ha.

Assuming a person is healthy the following recipe will work on everyone.

The simple recipe to lose weight is being in a caloric deficit every day. The difficulty is being mentally tough enough to maintain it.

1. Identify your BMR (basically the caloric intake to sustain life with no activity)
BMR Calculator

2. Identify your caloric needs based on your activity level.

To determine that...multiply your BMR by the appropriate activity factor, as follows:

Sedentary (little or no exercise): BMR x 1.2
Lightly active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/week): BMR x 1.375
Moderatetely active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/week): BMR x 1.55
Very active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week): BMR x 1.725
Extra active (very hard exercise/sports & physical job or 2x training): BMR x 1.9

3. That calc identifies the daily caloric intake to maintain your current weight based on your lifestyle.

1 pound = 3500 calories.

Calc (above) minus 500 calories per day = 1 pound loss per week which is healthy.

I suggest eating 6-8 times a day and sip on water. But it’s up to you to find what feels best.

Weigh yourself nude after waking. Check once a week and be patient. Weight loss is largely a change in lifestyle not just diet...and it’s a marathon not a sprint.

As you approach your target weight caloric adjustments usually become necessary. But that's a different topic and can be addressed later.

Maintenance is a separate topic too.
Thanks, I appreciate the advice!
[doublepost=1516979830][/doublepost]For Christmas, my wife gave me a fitbit Flex 2. It's not something I would have purchased for myself. A wrist band with a small electronic pill shaped electronics attached that tracks your movement via mostly arm swings, I believe. It is water proof and and be set to record swim workouts. It's attached to an app, either your phone or your mac/pc, where the bracelet syncs up to record its data. It worked surprisingly well to record me swim, 2475 meters, 1hr 18 min, 520 calories. I guess that's good to know! :) It also tracks walking if you wear it all day.

However their tech support who I had to talk to, to get it to resync with the app, said that when people move and don't swing their arms, say pushing a stroller or using a kick board in the pool, it does not do as well recording this exercise.

flex2-black-tpu-regular-0-6a179a320b9b429785669bf1570f86b2.png

Last edited:

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I'm on a burn for about 45 days, I'm working out even more intensely, and I'm eating - and eating a lot, but no carbs/sugars, no artificial sweeteners, no dairy, and we've completely curtailed alcohol consumption. 2000 calories of lean protein, fiber, veggies, proper fats, nuts (restricted diet isn't for the full duration).

I'm down ~8lbs, I'm never hungry and my strength/stamina/cardio has had a dramatic increase.

A.Goldberg

macrumors 68030
Jan 31, 2015
Boston

It seems to me you’ve made great strides on the excercise front. I’ve been awful with my swimming for the past couple months. Now some minor but inhibitatory health issues are out of the way and the temperature has finally risen from the weeks of single digits-teen temps I should be able to get back into the swing of things.

Strelok

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2017
United States
I'm on a burn for about 45 days, I'm working out even more intensely, and I'm eating - and eating a lot, but no carbs/sugars, no artificial sweeteners, no dairy, and we've completely curtailed alcohol consumption. 2000 calories of lean protein, fiber, veggies, proper fats, nuts (restricted diet isn't for the full duration).

I'm down ~8lbs, I'm never hungry and my strength/stamina/cardio has had a dramatic increase.

I think the only downside is that your max exertion lifts will be slightly weaker, although that also depends on your lifting level. Still, keto is the way to go for quick weight loss for most people. It's just so easy to stick to!

I'm down about 5lbs since Saturday, just going with a simple 40/30/30 C/P/F 2000kcal daily goal. I might increase it a little bit depending on how I feel though since I'll be working out 5 times per week and I don't wanna burn out too quickly. Counting calories/macros also helps a lot with sticking to your diet/goals.

Reactions: D.T. and Huntn

D.T.

macrumors G4
Sep 15, 2011
Vilano Beach, FL
I think the only downside is that your max exertion lifts will be slightly weaker, although that also depends on your lifting level. Still, keto is the way to go for quick weight loss for most people. It's just so easy to stick to!

Yep! This is kind of an, umm, clean up operation :D I'll back into a regular groove next month!

BarracksSi

Suspended
Jul 14, 2015

Ain't nothing wrong with the menu you're eating.

When I was getting to be my leanest, I'd have one portion of carbs, but just one. If I had, say, a chicken sandwich, the side would be some greens or veggies, not chips or fries. Or if I went to Panda Express, I wouldn't bother with rice -- the breading on the orange chicken would be enough (and again, I'd pair it with the steamed veggies).

Cancelled
Sep 10, 2009
I've dropped around 13 lb since the end of November. Some of it being glycogen due to being sick. Overall, I ate less this year due to our warmer than usual winter. Not bad. Really looking forward to the airway irritation to subside so that I can get back to exercising.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.