Eddy Cue Says He 'Disagrees Vehemently' With Those Who Believe Apple's Pace of Innovation Has Slowed

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 16, 2017.

1. dominiongamma macrumors 68000

Apple sounds out of touch when they speak, the OLED iPhone is not new and should have been released years ago.

2. Michaelgtrusa macrumors 604

The pace of quality control has slowed, but the pace of destroying western companies has picked up.

3. and 1989 others macrumors regular

Incremental updates in line with the rest of the industry isn’t really innovation.

What happened to the TV. You stoped making monitors. You’ve removed the Mac Pros connectors. You’ve removed the bloody headphone jack. Your new MacBook Pro won’t connent to a new iPhone without a dongle. Your new iPhone 7/8/x ears phones won’t connect to a Mac. The iPad has had the same form factor for about 5 years. The battery life in all devices still sucks. You’ve reinvented a stylus and called it a pencil and charg £99 for it. You have a fragmented accessory line.

4. Nagy Dávid macrumors member

...and four years after the Mac Pro and three years after the Mac mini was updated.

5. i.mac macrumors 6502a

Why the violence, because you do not agree?

if you’re not satisfied by Eddy and company, you could move to other choices. Or get an ice cream perhaps.

6. theluggage macrumors 68040

Except Apple need a new iPhone or iPod to produce growth now that the PC and phone markets are maturing. At the moment, they're increasingly relying on the Apple faithful's willingness to pay ever increasing prices for diminishing returns in terms of improvements, to produce "growth".

As soon as phones started to acquire music players, the writing was on the wall for the iPod, and whether by accident or design, Jobs had the iPhone out in time to replace the iPod as Apple's consumer flagship.

7. MacBergin macrumors regular

MacBergin

8. guzhogi macrumors 68030

guzhogi

I've said this in other threads, but I wouldn't mind seeing Apple take 2+ years to between macOS versions to really upgrade & streamline everything. Upgrade all the apps & frameworks to Swift, move anything graphics-related to Metal, and make sure all the software uses the current frameworks. I'd also like to see a change in the GUI so that it could do just to both a keyboard & mouse interface as well as touch. Add in stylus support for Macs with builtin screens. I realize that combining the two different input methods is extremely difficult, but if anyone can do it in an elegant way, it's Apple. I'd also like to see Apple get rid of spinning disks & Fusion drives and go straight flash throughout the line, and put decent graphics in their computers. Ditch software in the OS that deals with spinning disks except for the base, external hard drive. And yes, I know this will never happen, but it's fun to dream.

9. convergent, Oct 16, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2017

convergent macrumors 68030

convergent

This guy is just irritating to me, as are most of the folks they have speak at their keynotes. I think the area Apple has been innovating the most is how to keep stringing people along with older/cheaper technology and going long periods of time between new designs, so that they maximize profits. And of course in their innovative spaceship building. Bottom line is the iPhone 6, 7, and 8 are largely the same design. The X is not complete... still if you want a Plus or a "Minus", you are dealing with 3 or even 5 generations old in the 8 or SE.

I agree that the Gear S3 is a better experience. There are some innovations in the Apple Watch, like the complications. They are nice. But otherwise, the user experience was horrible with WatchOS 1, and they made it better with WatchOS 2, but still after now using Gear S3, its such a better experience.

10. itguy06 macrumors 6502a

So is Tim and as a shareholder I vote him out every year. This year alone Apple's lack of innovation and high prices pushed me into the Android and Windows ecosystems after a 16 year run with Apple....

11. Jakexb macrumors 6502a

The Watch basically created a new category. Sure there were smart watches before, but they were for weird techies. Now I see totally average people with Apple Watches all day long.

Don't forget that it took the iPhone until the 3gs to start to stand on its own and not until the 4 to really fulfill the promise of the original concept. The Series 3 is getting close, but the next 2 iterations should see the Watch really find its place as a device.

12. dmylrea macrumors 68030

dmylrea

I guess Eddy hasn't looked at any PC vs Mac and Windows vs macOS market share charts. Ever.

13. 69Mustang macrumors 604

69Mustang

What you're seeing is Apple fans expressing displeasure about Apple. What you're not seeing is people engaging in whataboutisms regarding companies they don't care about. Other companies not being innovative doesn't make Apple's perceived lack of innovation any more acceptable. Pointing at others is just simple deflection. Is that what you're looking for here?

14. chfilm macrumors 68000

chfilm

Plus the AirPods and the Apple Pencil.
    These are my favorite 3 products in recent years.

15. Infiniverse48 macrumors 6502a

Um no. The iPhone changed the world the moment it was unveiled to the world. That very moment every competitor changed their entire operation toward this new goal which was the modern smartphone. The iPhone changed the world, end of story.

The watch changes NOTHING. It is worn by a fraction of a fraction of humans and does nothing to revolutionize the world. The next device to revolutionize the world will likely be a medical biometric tracking device, which could be similar to the watch, but the watch is not.

16. skillwill macrumors 6502

He’s right. The iPhone continues to change the way everything is done. It’s continuing to revolutionise entire industries. I don’t know why people think you need it to be a new product to be innovative, and remember Jobs said Apple is able to make great products because it only concentrated on a few.

Apple’s problem is quality control right now. The innovation is there but the final delivery is lacking

17. Peperino macrumors 6502a

Peperino

18. JeffyTheQuik macrumors 68020

JeffyTheQuik

"Because I've been with Apple so long, I can't help but be an objective decider of our innovation pace." - Eddy*

*No, not the one from Iron Maiden
    --- Post Merged, Oct 16, 2017 ---
    Watch bands.

Don't forget watch bands

19. musika macrumors 65816

musika

Of course their pace of innovation hasn’t slowed.

The problem seems to be that their pace has sped up so much that they no longer take the time to refine and edit their products to keep bad ideas and bad implimentations from reaching their customers.

20. Infiniverse48 macrumors 6502a

I own AirPods and they are by far the best product Apple has created since the iPad. They are not, however, revolutionary at all.

‘Breakthrough’ should only be thought of as something that changes the world.

As an example, you could say that Elon Musk’s vision is breakthrough, but the electric cars are not because they take far too long to become the affordable product that a statistically significant percentage of the human species can benefit from. So the breakthrough in regards to electric vehicles will be in battery and manufacturing tech. So you can’t call them a revolutionary product like the iPhone.

21. Rocko99991 macrumors 6502a

Rocko99991

Um, ok. You can disagree all day long. The innovation has been near nil. Wireless charging and OLED screens do not fit the criteria of innovation-especially when your competitor has been doing this for years.

22. mac_in_tosh macrumors 6502

mac_in_tosh

Reminds me of Schiller's keynote address when he said "Can't innovate anymore, my ass" when introducing the Mac Pro. I wasn't that impressed. The main innovation, if you can call it that, was in the compact design not necessarily the functionality. But I wondered what working pro would really care about that vs. having a more powerful, modular machine (which they say they are working on now - more innovation?). And Apple's virtual ignoring of the machine since that keynote is striking.

23. convergent macrumors 68030

convergent

The AW did not create the category. Geesh. If anything, its a fashion statement now because its Apple. I wore one for 2 years and got good function from it. But given iOS has like 15% of the market, it will never be a dominant wearable unless they unleash it from the iPhone (which I don't think will ever happen). As the market expands, the relative market size is going to work against it.

Having now used the AW and Gear S3, the Gear S3 has a greatly more intuitive UI that an average person could pick up and use without much difficulty. The rotating dial, and look of a normal watch are just better. I doubt most people who see me wearing my Gear S3 even realize its a smartwatch because it has an Always On Display and looks like a watch. They definitely notice when a make a contactless payment with it at a terminal that doesn't have NFC.

24. Plutonius macrumors 604

Plutonius

Any speed up in innovation / product releases has resulted from less testing and quality control.

25. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I understand everybody differs in terms of what Apple has released for Products and what their definition of innovation is. I also think the term innovation is loosely used and Not appropriately applied to everything Apple does either.

Regardless of everybody's views of what Innovation is, Apples end goal is to put out a solid product, in which we all know they can do. It's how they continue to build off that product to make it better, more efficient and offer functionality to extend its capabilities for the better.