Eddy Cue Says He 'Disagrees Vehemently' With Those Who Believe Apple's Pace of Innovation Has Slowed

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Oct 16, 2017.

1. timborama macrumors 6502a

timborama

"We're leading the industry by innovating new emojis and watch bands at a blistering pace".

2. convergent macrumors 68030

convergent

How exactly is the iPhone continuing to change the way everything is done?

Let's look at the current line up...
    • We've got the SE which is a rehashed design from the 5... what is that like 6 generations old?
    • We've got the 8/8+ which is a rehashed design from the 6... 3 generations old?
    • We've got the X, that is similar form factor to the Galaxy S8, but no plus size for at least another generation... an nothing that competes with the Note 8.
    Most of what the X is being touted for are features already in other devices for years... AMOLED, minimal bezel, wireless charging. What is unique is removing touch in exchange for face; a silly looking notch, and animated poop emojis. They seem to have put all their innovative energy into the hardware for FaceID and animated emojis (great tech of course), and not so much in the rest of it. And not having the plus size ready ... no other vendor does that.

Since the 6 came out, what has Apple changed? They've helped do away with the headphone jack.. that changed the way things are done. Thankfully not every vendor has followed them. Nearly everything else they've added has been following the competition. Not to say the iPhone isn't a great device, but innovative... nah... I would say you get an iPhone if you want "safe" and something that works with the Apple ecosystem.

3. diarbyrag macrumors newbie

diarbyrag

Dear Eddy, Perhaps if you and Tim actually asked the real Mac customers what products they need instead of selling high profit trendy gadgets and dongles that you and Wall Street want us to buy, you might not have to answer the innovation question in the first place.

Oh I forgot, you dumped the wifi and storage accessories which were very innovative and made the mac ecosystem unique.

I find it bizarre that companies don't update products ( eg: Mac Mini ) then cheerfully say they they are no longer selling it as there is no demand, there are millions of people not buying a 3 year old product ( eg: Mac Mini ) because they wait in vain for you to "INNOVATE" or at least Update PLEASE

4. deanthedev Suspended

deanthedev

Nice try.

If Apple is to be considered as no longer being innovative, then there has to be some point of reference. In sports that would be other athletes or teams. In technology it would be other companies with similar products to yours.

5. sparky08 macrumors regular

As long as you don't equate innovation to "wow!", I guess Apple is innovating.

6. gnipgnop macrumors 65816

LOL...it's ten years since the introduction of iPhone/iOS and Apple still remains as the ONLY company capable of producing it's own OS and SoC at the same time. Their competitors still haven't figured out how to get over that bar ten years on.

7. star_nerdy macrumors member

And HTC had the tilt which was a touch screen, ran windows mobile, had enterprise support, a 3 megapixel camera, full keyboard and 3G all when the original iPhone launched.

Nokia had the N95 with 3G, an App Store, 5 megapixel camera and tons of features and that was available during the time of the original iPhone.

What made the first iPhone different was multitouch and a willingness to walk away from a physical keyboard. Just because others had better phones, laptops, watches or whatever doesn’t mean that Apple doesn’t offer something meaningful.

Specially, the Apple Watch has some of the best sensors and is one of the most replicable smartwatches. The battery life of the Apple Watch sucks, but it is a good watch.

8. ScottHammet macrumors regular

I take all this as proof that Eddie doesn't use iOS 11 or High Sierra. The number of defects in these two most recent products is shocking.

9. Quu macrumors 68030

Quu

Then you're not comprehending my comment. Eddie says Apple is constantly innovating while Tim Cook is saying they are rarely first to do anything, thus not innovative, just reiterative.

There were fingerprint readers on phones before the iPhone. There was facial recognition systems before the iPhone, there was multi-touch displays before the iPhone there was phones with dual speakers before the iPhone. There were tablet computers before the iPad there was smart watches before the Apple Watch.

What Apple does isn't innovate they iterate. There is nothing wrong with that. Eddie is just deluded. He should talk to Tim who last week made it clear Apple doesn't innovate, they take other peoples ideas and make them simpler to use.

10. macTW Suspended

Anybody who says Apple has slowed innovation is blind or greedy.

Apple may not be innovating in the way you want, but it’s idiotic to say they’ve slowed innovating.

11. mazz0 macrumors 68000

mazz0

I think people overuse the word innovation. I think what Apple have always done is take the best ideas around, other peoples ideas, and integrate them to make the best product on the market by quite some way. Which is fine by me.

12. 4jasontv macrumors 68000

The iPad and apple watch are examples critics use as examples of lack of innovation. No one is claiming they didn't come out with new products.

13. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

I like my Series 0 AW. But I also like my Garmin 935 and the models I had before that one. Oh I so wish I could smash the two watches together and have everything I needed in a watch -- round design wins over AW's pregnant Chicklet too. Clearly the AW could do everything the 935 or Fenix 5 does and be a phenomenal sports watch. Why Apple doesn't I don't know. My 935 cost $500. Happily paid it. But I'd gladly pay a nice premium over that for an AW version. What I'm not going to pay $750 for a $400 watch clad in stainless steel though. Ridiculous.

It's a bit frustrating to hear people remark what an amazing sports watch the AW is when its features in that area are no better than any other mid-level activity watch. I mean it doesn't even count reps like the Garmin now does. So, yeah, I agree, AW is a nice piece of kit but it's far from innovative unless "innovative has been redefined to mean a tad improvement over some of the competition.

14. npmacuser5, Oct 16, 2017
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2017

npmacuser5 macrumors 65816

npmacuser5

If many on here are so negative about Apple, Apple is no longer innovative, why do you keep buying Apple products? The one that gets me, Mac hardware complaint. For 99% of computer users, any hardware in the last five years is more then powerful enough. What separates the Mac from other hardware, Apple software and environment. Reminds of some car buyers, yep, my new car has the most power and speed of any car made. Really, what do you do with the car, take the family on some really cool road trips. On those roads with speed limits I presume. Reality, most will find the Mac innovation in the complete package, and when they try the Mac environment, will find it more then meets their computer power needs, with the Big Bonus, it’s a Mac. If not there are other choices.

15. norbinhouston macrumors 6502

How about being the first to have 64bit processors? You sound like a android fanboy. iPhones are the fastest mobil phones there are, you think that was magic? lol. That's a lot of hard work.

16. flat five macrumors 603

flat five

lol.
    i wonder how many people get that one.

17. rezwits macrumors 6502a

rezwits

I love that there are barely any NEW FEATURES (in High Sierra), god I love that. Things are getting so tightly integrated, and with iOS and in High Sierra bugs are just getting squashed, and that's what I sooooo wanted Apple to work on, man.

No features just DEBUG! YES YES YES.

To me this BLOWS AWAY, FALSE INNOVATION aka Features we don't need, apfs YES NEEDED!

The only thing that will "probably suck" is after this blessed year of High Sierra, Apple might be like umm, hmm here are 5 new features, for 10.14, and I'll just be like NO NO NO, and bummed, and resist updating, but I will give in, and then there will be FEATURE BUGS again... that's innovation tho for ya...

There needs to be a term for innovation in the form of debugging!

Laters...

18. maverick2007 macrumors regular

Did you forget Emoji innovation?????

19. JGIGS macrumors 65816

JGIGS

Add in a fairly buggy ios with dated UI=frustrating. Thankfully it's a super efficient OS resources wise and iphones perform like beasts and are future proof compared to Android or I'd still be using an Android device.

20. maverick2007 macrumors regular

21. iMcLovin macrumors 68000

iMcLovin

I personally think Apple has continued to innovate and release great products just as much as they did before with steve. both the apple watch, ipad pro, airpods, etc are typical apple products with great care and momentum. Yes its less innovation and less updates on the Macs, but that started even before Steve died, and people allready started complaining then, but, there's a reason for it...Macs makes them less money, there's less rapid innovation on the Mac/pc front and its not the general consumer future. And apple is a company for consumers were the "pro" area is simply for developers making stuff for the apple Consumer products.

22. chriscrowlee macrumors 65816

chriscrowlee

"Hillary Clinton 'Disagrees Vehemently' with those who believe her career hasn't stagnated" was the headline last year about this time of year I think

23. johngordon macrumors 68000

What people on internet forums calls "innovation" usually involved "invention".

Apple haven't invented much, this is true. But innovation in individual products? Think there's been plenty.

Its not as though Jobs was plucking some revolutionary new innovative product our his backside every time he got on stage. Some people have a very strange memory when it comes to Apple and innovation.

24. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Yes, but when they did that they completely crushed and disrupted the market. That really hasn't happened since the iPad. I think Apple still makes products better than the next guy for the most part but it's not really a tech leader like it once was even when it was last to market.

Take Siri as one example. It bought Siri and incorporated it into iOS before Google, Samsung, Amazon. Nice head start for Apple and lots of buzz and worth of mouth. But then crickets in Cupertino. Meanwhile Google, Samsung, Amazon raced to make competitors. And they came up with worthy ones and expanded the concept. Look at the category today and Apple won't have a Siri speaker out for another couple months and nothing in the way of a complete system. Meanwhile Google and Amazon offer a complete array from large speakers meant for music to mini ones meant mostly to receive commands. Nothing like that from Apple. Why? It can't build a decent $99 microphone? It's a bit frustrating and puzzling.

25. chriscrowlee macrumors 65816

chriscrowlee

Wrong.

You're confused, not those you're replying to. Invention means something new. We don't expect something new from Apple constantly. Innovation is just a PROCESS of moving toward something. Not a result.

Apple has left Siri a joke for years. Apple has left many of their advertised features out of their release products.

Apple HAS been inventing (Macbook Pro, Airpods, Pencil, etc). However apple has not been innovating.