All Devices eSIM + Dual SIM Q&A: iOS 13

Discussion in 'iOS 13' started by DeanLubaki, Jun 7, 2019.

Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.
  1. DeanLubaki, Jun 7, 2019
    Last edited by DeanLubaki: Jun 8, 2019

DeanLubaki macrumors 6502a

DeanLubaki

Hey everyone!
    You probably remember me from the original eSIM + Dual SIM Q&A of iOS 12.

There have been some new changes to eSIM in iOS 13, thus I am starting a new Q&A specific to the new eSIM features of iOS 13. If you discover new features, please add them to this Wiki!

New features
    • Dual-SIM simultaneous calls: you can now place calls on two different lines at the same call, and call waiting works for incoming calls on another line. For this to work, calls must be made/received while on VoLTE.
    • If you have data active on one line, and the other line doesn't have cellular service and the provider supports VoLTE, service will function using the active data on the other line. Essentially, it's like having Wi-Fi Calling, but it uses the data of one of the lines. Screenshot here: https://imgur.com/a/7UBR7vE

Changes to existing features
    • iMessage and FaceTime now supports two phone numbers, and you can start and iMessage conversation or FaceTime call with either number.

2. iGeneo macrumors regular

iGeneo

Love this.. I'm not the most well versed on the dual sim functionality. I do travel a fair amount, have a VZW esim and a Vodafone physical SIM. Anxious to see how the new features help

3. valkyrie917 macrumors newbie

valkyrie917

I have been waiting for this. I also travel a lot overseas for work. I still had to use 2 iPhones because of the lack of dual iMessage in iOS 12.

4. racostaf macrumors member

racostaf

But... question... that is, if a receive a call from line 1 and make another call from line 2, can the calls be joined, to talk at the same time everybody?

5. DeanLubaki thread starter macrumors 6502a

DeanLubaki

Nope. But you could technically call yourself from one line and make a conference with line 2.

6. morley39, Jun 8, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 9, 2019

morley39 macrumors newbie

OMG this is amazing, thanks for posting this Q&A!

I'm currently on iOS 12 with eSIM enabled, and I want to do a DFU restore to upgrade to iOS 13 (to make it less buggy). Will eSIM get removed during this process?

EDIT: eSIM survived! Yay

7. DeanLubaki thread starter macrumors 6502a

DeanLubaki

Sorry for the delay! Yes, as you found out, eSIMs survive restores that are not done on the iPhone itself :)

8. shita29 macrumors newbie

I just updated to iOS13 and couldn't find the setting to enable both lines for iMessage. Under Message ---> iMessage there's no option to choose which line or both. Can you let me know how to enable it?

9. DeanLubaki thread starter macrumors 6502a

DeanLubaki

You second line is probably stuck in activation. If you go under Settings > Messages > Send & Receive, you should be able to enable iMessage for two numbers.
    Try rebooting your phone also

10. sxc macrumors member

Is the way you make calls the same way on iOS 12 or have there been improvements?

I would like a setting that says “always make calls from the default voice SIM card” and don’t remember where I made the last call from. It’s currently annoying that when I put in a new SIM card, and I try to make a call to a number it uses my other SIM card which is now roaming instead of the local SIM card.

11. DeanLubaki thread starter macrumors 6502a

DeanLubaki

You can already do that with. There's a setting in Settings > Mobile Data > Default Voice Line

12. sxc macrumors member

It doesn’t work this way though. For contacts in your address book if you have called them before, the preferred line is “sticky” to your old SIM card ie the last SIM card you used to call them.

It is this problem:

https://discussions.apple.com/thread/8657675

13. CableGriM macrumors newbie

Just wondering that now you can use 2 numbers for iMessage and FaceTime does it mean I can be signed into each numbers iMessage?

Like I have two separate Apple id’s (1 is personal and the other is work related). Or do I have to link the 2 numbers to 1 Apple ID?

Kinda new to this dual sim business. It appears that Telstra here in Australia are finally pulling their finger out and may be releasing eSim’s soon.

14. DeanLubaki thread starter macrumors 6502a

DeanLubaki

The two numbers get attached to one Apple ID, and you can select which number to use when starting a conversation or making a call

Thread Status:
The first post in this thread is a WikiPost, and can be edited by anyone with the appropriate permissions.