Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

simonmet

Cancelled
Sep 9, 2012
Sydney
Laughing at the comments saying there was no innovation, and when asked what they thought would be “innovative” nobody can come up with an answer.

Instead we get “SE sized smaller phone”, “remove camera bump” or “USB-C”.

It’s telling that with all the people complaining about lack of innovation, not one person can actually name something that would be innovative. They’re just repeating existing features/technology. And if Apple DID add these features, instead of calling it “innovation” they’d be accusing Apple of “copying” or saying things like “Samsung already has this”.

I’m still waiting for someone to list a feature Apple could have added that would be “innovative”.

There were several posts, most notably the one below; to which I might add significantly better battery life and 3D Touch, which was genuinely innovative.

This is a dud year and Apple are beyond greedy in asking the prices they are for such a minor, iterative upgrade. In fact they even regressed by abandoning 3D Touch. I hope their share price gets smashed for such contempt of customers.

4k screen. Promotion. Pencil. Usb c. Projector. 5g. Full screen. Touch ID. 3D scanner.

All talk on AR. Still no easy way to view videos in 4K besides on Mac or pc. Or a thumb drive. I imagine the vast majority of iPhone users have never seen iPhone videos in 4K.

Last edited:
Reactions: Novus John

Davelfc

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2014
Liverpool
Apple innovation used to tell us what we wanted, then why we wanted it. I get that there's a limited amount of tech that they can introduce but they spend a small fortune on this stuff and these updates are the best they can come up with.

Maybe the new camera upgrades are going to be amazing, the trouble is every year Phil tells us just how amazing that camera is. Tim is super excited and when you get your new phone you wonder what all the fuss was about.

They go on and on about how green their products are, if they really valued saving the environment they wouldn't have a yearly product refresh. Especially one that offered so little on the previous. Yeah yeah, not everyone upgrades yearly, but many do. This isn't a criticism at Apple, if governments were serious about tackling climate change then they need to limit all companies to model changes to lessen the impact.

Last edited:

Applebot1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 4, 2014
UK
Lack of 5G compatibility is putting me off this generation. Even though 5G is in its infancy...like many consumers I don’t buy a new phone on a regular bases. So for me will wait until next generation.

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2017
I watched half the event.. First time in a few years.. WTH has happened with Apples events? The speakers generally have zero charisma (especially the lady that introduced the iPhone 11, like omg?) and it seems like the presenters themselves are bored and are "faking it". And everyone was wearing Nike sneakers... Paid product placement much? Geez! Pathetic.

Reactions: MrBat

Pearple

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2017
Apple Subscription Inc is stupid.

Seriously. Stupid.

There are tens of millions of iPhone SE users out there who skip on buying a new phone year after year just because there is no new alternative.

Instead, Apple comes out whit the regular sh*t, what's the point of the iPhone 11 when you already have the XR?

Why don't You downsize the iPhone 11 Pro to a regular size while those phablet phreaks already go for the bigger iPhone 11 Prozac?

And why shoud I subscribe to Apple TV plus when Netflix, Amazon and Disney already have better products?

What comes next? Apple Beer? No thanks, I have other brands for that. Apple Fashion? No thanks, I have other brands for that. Apple Car? No thanks, I have other brands for that. Apple Pills? No thanks, I have other brands for that.

Just build that damn small phone, dammit!

yellow8

macrumors 6502a
Mar 14, 2017
Why is the second lens of the iPhone 11 a wide-angle ? A zoom would have been much better to avoid the distortion of the iPhone XR.

Pearple

macrumors regular
Dec 28, 2017
I watched half the event.. First time in a few years.. WTH has happened with Apples events? The speakers generally have zero charisma (especially the lady that introduced the iPhone 11, like omg?) and it seems like the presenters themselves are bored and are "faking it". And everyone was wearing Nike sneakers... Paid product placement much? Geez! Pathetic.

They could have hired Ashton Kutcher, or Michal Fasssbender to hold that event. Or Dave Chapelle... that would be worth watching...

There is just a very steep decline in the culture of that company, that includes but is not limited to their uninspiring products. And I thing it has a lot to do with that spaceship that they have build. There are no cool products, that actually came from that building. They live in their own bubble and completely miss the fact, that even "us fanboys" are disappointed year after year ...

Reactions: MrBat and iLLUMI

iLLUMI

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2012
So where exactly was the "innovation"?
It was a rather lack luster event. Some of it felt like a rehash.
There didn't seem to be as much enthusiasm from the presenters as there was at WWDC.
I noticed the audience were much quieter .... there were occasions when a few of the presenters seemed to pause with the expectation of hearing claps and cheers, but there were none.

The compass and altimeter are a good feature to have on the watch. Handy when traveling.
Wide angle lens on the iPhone 11 is also a big improvement.

I was hoping to see Apple Tags too ... maybe next year.

Reactions: Phantom1812

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now
I'm just here for all the crying babies.... and I wasn't disappointed!! So many salty tears....

Phones look and sound fantastic. Watch, though not a huge jump added some nice features. Atv+ for $4.99 a month is easy on the pocket. Overall satisfied with this roll out.

Nuno Lopes

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2011
Lisbon, Portugal
Hi, as far as iPhone goes, Apple when was the most exciting company in the world, followed a development cycle that alternate between a development leap year and an upgrade year. 3G/3GS, 4G/4GS ... up to iPhone 5/5GS. Starting with iPhone 6, we saw an upgrade cycle of 5 years an up to iPhone 8 and only then came iPhone X (the leap).

So its quite clear that smartphone innovation has reached its peek, at least in the current form. There is no problem with that.

Yet, my rising concern is that a company known for simplicity, it seams to be loosing it a bit every year that passes.

Phill Shiller sounds a lot like a record, Microsoft style. Pro display, pro audio, pro camera pro this and that. "Even if you are not a Pro you can by this", I guess he got the Microsoft bug in terms of branding. For me at least, the Pro acronym became an opaque term, rather than a clarifying one.

They had a term that actually was better, The Max term, but it was used to define bigger, rather than much better. iPhone 11 and iPhone 11 Max (as of maximised) would be preferable (smaller or bigger its just the size of the display, no need for a special acronym, it it should be just.a check box in the ordering system).

I think it's clear that this conference lacked pepper. Yes the cameras can be the salt, but where was the pepper?

Given this, I think that its making less and less sense to have a conference dedicated to the iPhone. It would make more sense to have conference dedicated to the iOS device ecosystem. What stroke me the most in this conference was not so much the strength of the new devices, but the depth of the iOS ecosystem. Apple Watch for well-being, iPhone for on the road communication, entertainment and data capture, iPads for entertainment, learning and production, Apple TV (TV+) for entertainment. All of the top notch in each function. Instead of making this path clearer to the customer, they are fragmenting the value and its rationale by not including the iPad Pro and putting on the side of the Mac.

I for one, this year will buy none of this. I'll keep my iPhone X and Apple Watch 3. I'm inclined to buy the next iPad Max ;), I guess I'll have to wait for another month or two.

Last edited:

iLLUMI

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2012
I thought the keynote was meh... They rely on videos all the time now because no one has a stage presents to actually present.
Yeh, I noticed that too. There were so many videos at this event. A little more than usual.
But one video they could have shown but didn't was one highlighting the compass/altimeter on the watch.

Bug-Creator

macrumors 68000
May 30, 2011
Germany
They go on and on about how green their products are, if they really valued saving the environment they wouldn't have a yearly product refresh. Especially one that offered so little on the previous. Yeah yeah, not everyone upgrades yearly, but many do. This isn't a criticism at Apple, if governments were serious about tackling climate change then they need to limit all companies to model changes to lessen the impact.

What a pile of #### iPhones work 100% including SW updates for years and even more if you can live with just getting security updates.

So if consumers throw away their phones after a year just to have the newest shiniest toy for bragging rights thats on them.

Luckily only very few do that, most iPhones are used for years and years if not by the original buyer than as family hand-me-downs or 2nd hand resale.

So yeah, pile of ####

Davelfc

macrumors 6502
Mar 2, 2014
Liverpool
What a pile of #### iPhones work 100% including SW updates for years and even more if you can live with just getting security updates.

So if consumers throw away their phones after a year just to have the newest shiniest toy for bragging rights thats on them.

Luckily only very few do that, most iPhones are used for years and years if not by the original buyer than as family hand-me-downs or 2nd hand resale.

So yeah, pile of ####

Thank you for your really constructive reply, you must be so proud.

Khedron

Suspended
Sep 27, 2013
Look again.
  • Node Mode.
  • WiFi 6.
  • Better battery life.
  • Better CPU + GPU that enable a new range of apps.
That's just 4 things you don't have now. But if what you have now serves your needs, that's great. But we shouldn't downplay the new release as having "nothing new", because that's false.

Night mode is already been standard on Android for years. Wifi 6 is irrelevant when you're using crippled Intel modems. Battery life is still below industry average. No apps will use the CPU/GPU because the majority of users won't have access to them.

Cyprusian

macrumors regular
Jun 11, 2018
Apple's spectacular transformation from a company in decline to the highest value company in the world was driven by inventing irresistible and really useful new products that almost everyone realised they didn't know they needed, but just had to buy. I believe this was genuine innovation, while annual improvements to existing products are development.

In my opinion Apple's reputation as an innovator is at risk when it promotes development as innovation.

Last edited:

Khedron

Suspended
Sep 27, 2013
I thought the keynote was meh... They rely on videos all the time now because no one has a stage presents to actually present. They keep saying.. This is our most advance iphone ever! Course it is it's the new version. This is the same line over and over and over

Best part was no John Ive saying "this is the most advance iphone ever created"

Tim and Phil obviously didn't want to be on the stage. They aren't bad presenters but even Steve couldn't save that abysmal product lineup.

Reactions: Soccertess

Nuno Lopes

macrumors 65816
Sep 6, 2011
Lisbon, Portugal
In my opinion Apple's reputation as an innovator is at risk when it promotes development as innovation.

Fully agree. I think SJ would agree with that, he was no fool. I wonder what he would tell Phill and Tim if they came to him with that kind of pitch.

Phill seamed that he was hiding the product value behind the Pro this Pro that and that, And Tim by the end I'm for a split second as he stuttered he though ... "what do we have more for pepper? ops we got nothing for pepper. Thank you for coming".

Cancelled
Sep 13, 2017
Apple iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB
Microsoft Windows Vista Professional

It's almost there. Just a few more letters now Apple.

Inc next year?

Apple iPhone 12 S Pro Max 256GB

What happened to iPhone, iPhone 3G, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, and these simple naming schemes?
No wonder Ive left.

Looking forward to the MacBook Pro Pro 16" Super Retina XDR ... "Pro Pro" cause it might have some more ports, and a more reliable keyboard, so it's by definition gonna be more "Pro" than the "Pro". Hence "Pro Pro". Extra reliable for extra Pro's.
[doublepost=1568196928][/doublepost]
They could have hired Ashton Kutcher, or Michal Fasssbender to hold that event. Or Dave Chapelle... that would be worth watching...

There is just a very steep decline in the culture of that company, that includes but is not limited to their uninspiring products. And I thing it has a lot to do with that spaceship that they have build. There are no cool products, that actually came from that building. They live in their own bubble and completely miss the fact, that even "us fanboys" are disappointed year after year ...

Or Apple could have made products that they were actually truly excited about presenting.
And if they aren't truly excited about what they're presenting, then maybe skip the conference completely, and just launch the updates quietly without the need for a "worlds best of incremental updates" conference with people that are clearly not that excited about what they are showing off.

VesApple

macrumors newbie
May 24, 2019
I'm just here for all the crying babies.... and I wasn't disappointed!! So many salty tears....

Phones look and sound fantastic. Watch, though not a huge jump added some nice features. Atv+ for $4.99 a month is easy on the pocket. Overall satisfied with this roll out.

"Look fantastic" ??????????????????????? What do you smoke man ? ;-))))

dantroline

macrumors 6502
Oct 28, 2016
Apple innovation used to tell us what we wanted, then why we wanted it. I get that there's a limited amount of tech that they can introduce but they spend a small fortune on this stuff and these updates are the best they can come up with.

Maybe the new camera upgrades are going to be amazing, the trouble is every year Phil tells us just how amazing that camera is. Tim is super excited and when you get your new phone you wonder what all the fuss was about.

Apple is becoming the old man of devices and they are ripe for a rival if they don't find something exciting and new. Not saying that is easy but any big organisation eventually faces this.

Reactions: Davelfc

jakeenzo

macrumors regular
Sep 18, 2014
Apple iPhone 11 Pro Max 256GB
Microsoft Windows Vista Professional

It's almost there. Just a few more letters now Apple.

Inc next year?

Apple iPhone 12 S Pro Max 256GB

What happened to iPhone, iPhone 3G, iPhone 4, iPhone 4S, and these simple naming schemes?
No wonder Ive left.

Not Apple's fault you're illiterate o_O

rodpascoe

macrumors regular
Jun 19, 2006
Truro, Cornwall
Apple is making the same money is what you’re saying not that the prices are the same.

we in he U.K. don’t give a toss about the fact vat is what makes it more expensive. They’re a multinational company and they are pricing us out of the market by not accounting for vat or being willing to take 500% markup instead of 700%. The price difference is what I listed. Not what you calculated. You’re calculating what they’re making off us not what it costs us.

No, that's not what I calculated. Read what I put again. I showed that the cost of buying the device is within $20. Whether you 'give a toss' about the VAT is irrelevant, you have to pay it unless you're a VAT registered business and can claim in back. In the States they have to pay it too, it's just called something different. Americans don't pay the price you keep quoting, they have their equivalent of VAT to add on top.

Reactions: MacNeb
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.