Everything Apple Announced at Today's 'It's Show Time' Event in 6 Minutes

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 25, 2019.

1. AppleScruff1 macrumors G3

AppleScruff1

And you seeing it in everything Apple does doesn’t mean it is there.

2. slippery-pete macrumors 65832

slippery-pete

Easy pass for me on all these subscription services.

3. cypressc macrumors member

cypressc

Wonder how much they paid Oprah for those documentaries no one is ever going to watch?

4. supercoolmanchu macrumors 6502

supercoolmanchu

Let’s hope so, it’s long overdue. Though I hope they don’t make these separate apps locked to specific services. For example, it will suck if the Music app is only ‘Apple Music’ and not whatever format audio is in my library.

5. laz232 macrumors 6502

"Apple Card is a new credit card"

And with that Apple has jumped the shark, and Tim Cook shows that for all his talk about green and sustainability he is just a con artist trying to get people to over-extend and buy into the unsustainable technology treadmill.
    Everything that he says and does or comments about whether it is green technology, whether it is privacy, whether it is immigration, whether it is tariffs or whether it is access to "true" news - all this has to be seen through the eyes of a unrepentant capitalist.

For all his personal failings, Steve Jobs at least had a guiding set of principles that seem to be other than just the shareholder bottom line.

6. jeremiah256 macrumors 65816

jeremiah256

In the past, although Apple had several internal advantages, they also benefited from the CEOs of their competition having serious lack of vision issues. Phone manufactures copied whatever was popular. Sony dropped the ball on media players. Ballmer delayed Microsoft's entry into several areas they now benefit from. Now, Apple is competing with companies that are half their age, but some who almost match them in terms of value, and also against past heavy weights that survived the transition from the old physical media world to the new streaming world, led by very good CEOs.

I'm not picking sides or winners, but past performance does not indicate in any way that Apple succeeds with this pivot to content creation as they did with the iPod, iPhone, Apple Watch, or other products.

7. laz232 macrumors 6502

Maybe we should expect CEOs being paid million to be the ones that should be answering that...

As for the announcement, I know I'm pretty lucky in having money in the bank And not having any debts on any of my credit cards as I pay them off every month, but I'm surprised at the amount of people that are looking forward to an Apple credit card. America is a strange universe...

8. ApeBot macrumors member

ApeBot

I would have to agree with you - and for me there were a number of positives reiterated, including safety and security of personal data and my favourite - family sharing.. $10 a month for magazines isn't too compelling, but when I look at the varied interests of the four people in my family share, its a bargain. Also, the lack of fees and penalties for apple card.. we should all be thanking apple for providing some competition to the banks

9. Juan007 macrumors 6502a

Juan007

This event was absolutely incredible. Even if you know nothing about Apple products or technology, it was a must-watch. It's probably the best keynote since the original iPhone reveal. After watching it, I'm convinced that Apple is an ethical company that wants the best for its users. Great job Tim!

10. Chloros macrumors regular

Chloros

You got to be kidding.

Actually some people are into pain

11. DownUnderDan macrumors newbie

DownUnderDan

True, or alternatively it really isn't there. I'm going with the latter.

12. kildraik, Mar 25, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2019

kildraik macrumors 6502a

kildraik

Awesome.

Ecstatic about the concept of the Apple Card. I was surprised. GS+MC is a great mix. I guarantee it’ll be for us excellent creditees only, however, the Visa Infinite has better Apple Pay rewards. Also, GS has its own history. I bet it’s lighter than my Amex Platinum though... probably won’t have that nice, “thud.”

I don’t watch TV, but should be cool for those that do.

This media event was exactly what it should have been, and was exactly what it was meant to be.

Good on Apple. Great performance and great expansion to new, steady revenue streams.

13. Greymacuser macrumors 6502

Greymacuser

14. Bytor65 macrumors 6502a

Like it or not, the world is changing. Media and SW consumption is moving from purchase model, to a subscription model.

Apple either does it's own subscription services or it gets left behind.

Naturally for tech nerds an event about subscription services is going to be boring (which is why I didn't watch it), when what they want to see at events is cool new gizmos.

So this is just some important ecosystem pieces Apple needs as the world shifts to the subscription model.

15. jeff051177 macrumors member

Seriously.... why are people excited about the credit card?
    You get a cool titanium card..... anything else? A vague reference to low interest rates and "no late fees" (you'll certainly pay for this somehow)?

If that's whats getting people super-pumped these days, no wonder Apple was expecting us to get giddy over buying $10 of magazines a month from them.

16. bernuli macrumors 6502a

Did you say at this keynote they announced a credit card....thats not even out yet?

Oh yeah that card will be a blockbuster this summer.

What a joke.

17. gmartomihardjo macrumors newbie

18. gaximus macrumors 6502a

By “its showtime” they meant “its showtime...in fall”

19. airshu macrumors newbie

Because people like Apple hardware and the card was the only scrap we got.

20. DownUnderDan macrumors newbie

DownUnderDan

First we would have to agree on what are "facts". As someone who once worked in marketing, what you saw today was not about facts, but marketing. Sometimes handily they are the same, sometimes however they are not.

21. Salty Pirate macrumors 6502

Salty Pirate

22. C DM macrumors Sandy Bridge

OS updates along with some app updates came out today.

23. Donoban macrumors 65816

Donoban

Dan from MAC rumours.

Please stop saying ‘tell us what you think in the comments’. Instead tell me why I should give you comments on your content?

I feel the video can be sharpened up more. I found myself skipping when you started using filler words.

Next event - aim for a 3 minute summary. Become famous for the best 3 minute Apple keynote summaries in the world.

You’ve already got the followers. Think value delivery and substance over click bait.

24. 341328 Suspended

No numbers on the credit card... to force amazon to process via apple
    Pay.

25. airshu, Mar 25, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2019

airshu macrumors newbie

Apple has basically given up on hardware at this point, but is their software really good enough to carry them into being a services provider without hardware as a base? I struggle to think of any must-have Apple software, or that doesn't pale in comparison to competition. Their strength has always been hardware+OS, not software. It's always been about sleek macbooks and iphones with macOS and iOS, not about access to Safari and iTunes. It's why I expect there are probably way more Google Apps (gmail etc) on iOS devices than the other way around. And I can't imagine many Android users desperately waiting for Apple news and tv to come to their devices.

The silly thing is that a push into services should be subsidizing hardware. iPhones should be cheaper than ever, bringing in more and more potential users with attractive hardware at an affordable price. THEN the gouging can start.