Everything Apple Announced at Today's 'It's Show Time' Event in 6 Minutes

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Mar 25, 2019.

1. airshu macrumors newbie

Your location says Sydney. There are already Australian cards without annual fees, without international transaction fees, that charge at the base Visa/MC rate without any additional conversion rate, and offer additional benefits such as free global wifi and purchase protection.
    Plus compatibility with Apple Pay, Google Pay, Samsung Pay, Fitbit, and Garmin.

And similar debit cards that let you use withdraw cash from overseas ATMS without any fees
    --- Post Merged, Mar 25, 2019 ---
    That's all good, except that they've also started charging upfront for those 7 or 8 years of hardware life without adding anything new except 7 or 8 years of subscription services

2. Steve686 macrumors 68040

Steve686

Running out of hardware innovative minds at Apple.

Time to move to milking every dollar out of every iOS owner monthly. Family sharing is the only positive caveat.

These 3 “+” services could end up costing around $800(total guesstimate) a year, combined.

That is definitely more than I spend at Apple Stores aside from the yearly iPhone upgrade.

Good business sense on Apple’s part I guess.

3. brinary001 macrumors 6502a

brinary001

YES THANK YOU!!! What is with all this doom and gloom, people?? It was a classic Apple keynote with some interesting concepts that were shown to us with some cute and tender moments here and there. The industry is stagnating in terms of “innovation” (frankly I think half of you don’t even know how to define that, it’s just a buzz word you pull out to **** on apple).

Last week, Google announced a SERVICE. This summer, Microsoft is announcing a SERVICE. It’s where the industry is at now. You can only make these damn devices so thin and light before you run out of new features, but at the end of the day you need something to actually do with them. But if all you geniuses out there think you can “innovate” any better, then by all means move into a Palo Alto garage and start your own trillion-dollar consumer electronics company. Go ahead, I’ll wait.

4. BritishApple, Mar 25, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 25, 2019

BritishApple macrumors regular

If I hadn’t signed up to a new iPhone plan, I’d have boycott Apple simply for partnering with Oprah alone.

Apple Arcade would be worthwhile if there was any decent iOS games worth playing since the F2P mentality of mobil gamers stopped console game ports dead in their tracks years ago.

Apple TV+ has the actors and directors ... but that doesn’t mean this content will be stellar.

Apple Card with its no fees approach could prompt change from UK banks when/if it arrives over here, which is the only thing that made me sit up with interest (no pun intended).
    I stopped reading when you said, “It was a classic Apple keynote”. A classic Cook keynote on the other hand ...

All the Apple services unveiled pale in comparison to a) what is already available and b) what Google announced with Stadia and what Microsoft are doing with XCloud on Xbox.
    The funniest thing for me was when the camera caught Chris “Captain America” Evans in the audience and he had an expression of, “What the hell is this”?

5. AceFernalld macrumors 68000

AceFernalld

Just got done watching the keynote after having been very skeptical and pessimistic over the perceived direction the company was taking. I rescind the skepticism, these are honestly brilliant forms of revenue generation and seem to provide an exceptional value proposition to the customer.

The games look fantastic, 300+ magazines and newspapers with media-rich content for $10/month is a steal, the credit card is an awesome take on what is generally a manipulative money-grab (not saying theirs isn't, but it's better), and they seem to have a bunch of great partners on the TV content though the quality of those is obviously TBD. I'm pretty excited, though.

6. mikethemartian macrumors 6502a

HP was founded in a Palo Alto garage. Apple garage was in Los Altos.

7. MacsRgr8 macrumors 604

MacsRgr8

Who's going to use these services if you don't use an Apple product?

IMHO, this "new focus on services" is just Apple trying to keep their users on the platform.
    If you have iPhone / Mac, etc. and use many of these services, the chances are slim you will jump ship to another platform.

But, I doubt these services can help Apple expand the installed-base and/or keep Apple afloat in the long run.

It might even discourage people of using Apple.... it can scare you that you feel too much sucked into one brand.
    People like to have choices and feel free how to use them.

8. brinary001 macrumors 6502a

brinary001

[​IMG]

9. dutchyonabike macrumors newbie

I
    I think the decline started the day they released FCPX, and cancelled FCP7 on the same day, the computer lineup has been dismal ever since If they had kept selling FCP7 for a couple extra years, editors would not have jumped ship so quickly.

10. diogenis macrumors regular

Apple is constantly raising the stake with all these new services. To me, Apple card is the answer of both Apple and Goldman Sachs by directly attacking blockchain's currency: privacy. Now, you get a system where the biggest company in the world is guarantying anonymity in everyday transactions in the physical world. We must however wait and see how and what criteria Goldman is going to implement in order for Apple to allow a customer in the system.
    News, appleTv+ and games are also very appealing.

11. halluxsinister macrumors regular

halluxsinister

Everything Apple Announced at Today's 'It's Show Time' Event in 6 seconds:

Nothing interesting or important.

Here are your other three seconds back.

You're welcome.

NLE;WRM: (Not long enough; want to read more)

They announced some kind of service that delivers music to you. You know, like the one they already had. Which was like the other one they already had.

They announced some thing that delivers news. You know, like the one they already had. Only this one lets you read the exact same thing you could do with a web browser, which would give you more flexibility, by the way.

(Are you yawning yet?)

They announced that you can watch a larger variety of mind-numbing television on a specialized single-function device masquerading as a multi-function device, (a dumbed-down, tiny storage Mac Mini, basically,) that COULD have MUCH more functionality if Apple hadn't ARBITRARILY limited it to just the small subset of functions. Of course, you could already get this content through, again, your web browser without having to give Apple even MORE money.

They announced Apple Pay. Or something that is the same thing as Apple Pay, basically.

Actually here, it's something slightly different. Apple is apparently going to try to be a bank now. The reason you should care about this is that with this new Apple iCard or whatever, you can now use your iPhone to pay for stuff at NFC-enabled cash registers... just like you already could before, if you happen to have an iPhone with NFC, which I think everything from the 5 on had. Or maybe 6.

BUT, Apple has ADDED the following AMAZING feature: NO FEES! WOOO!!!

Except of course if you do something that results in a fee, they don't charge a fee, they just increase the amount you have to pay in interest beyond what you would have paid otherwise. In other words...

Apple has successfully disguised a fee as "interest".

They did NOT, it seems, announce either the return of the iPhone SE, nor an iPhone SE 2, so... yawn. They didn't announce an improved Mac Mini that isn't designed to disappoint. Double yawn. They didn't announce anything especially good or interesting, at least, not to me. Another swing and a miss by Apple.

My prediction: in the not too distant future, the media will be abuzz with some company eclipsing Apple as the world's most valuable, etc. Why? Because that's what happens when you make horrible, stupid business decisions and treats customers like they're expendable. Someone else eats your lunch.

12. brinary001 macrumors 6502a

brinary001

Yeah it’s almost like no two humans are alike and they have a new person running the company now. Funny how that works, isn’t it?

...still haven’t gotten over the death of the last guy, I see...

13. Pruus macrumors member

Pruus

Macrumors, you did a great job. Six minutes. No longer was needed for this presentation because, it’s not great. Apple could send e newsletter for this. And no Onemorething......

14. Greymacuser macrumors 6502

Greymacuser

All this Apple credit card talk really should scare everyone.
    They weren't happy with just scamming you our of your money with over-inflated Apple-Taxed products.
    Now they want to handle your money directly.
    This is the stuff of 1970's dystopian stuff right here.

Oh..
    In case you were going to make the "Apple cares about yer privacy n'stuff!" argument,
    here you go.

15. brinary001 macrumors 6502a

brinary001

All you people complaining about ApPlE gOiNg DoWn HiLl need to find a new song to sing. We’ve been hearing you whine and bitch for the better part of a decade now, and yet here you all are, year after year, after every keynote, saying this is it; that this is the nail in the Apple coffin.

If you truly believed yourselves after all these years, you wouldn’t still be a member of a site dedicated to the news and whispers of the biggest and most recognizable brand on the planet. You wouldn’t have purchased any of their products since 2012. The results are in and the numbers are not on your side...this company has only grown under Cook’s leadership and shows no sign of slowing down anytime soon.

Keep up with the changes or get left behind, I don’t really care. I’m just going to keep enjoying and looking forward to what this company is doing. Besides, if you hate it that much you’re free to always venture out into the vast wasteland of Windows and Android ¯\_(ツ)/¯

16. YaBe macrumors 6502a

YaBe

It was nice, not great, and even though I undersdtand it was a TV thing, I still think they dragged the Plus part too much, it was fun the first, the second and then boooring.

Apple reps all speak the same way, they all mimic Jobs, and they all make it seems like they are "changing the world"..... for god sake, it's a TV.

Apple should steer away from the Jobs monkeys and start being a new Apple, because without Steve, all that **** does not work anymore.

17. DJTaurus macrumors 65816

DJTaurus

Years back Apple reporters were commenting after events about the exciting features Apple was going to introduce. Today morning they are commenting if WSJournal will introduce all of its articles on MagazinePlus.......like who even cares on reading censored articles on Apples platform. That’s the Tim Cook’s era of contribution on Apples legend.

18. Romeo_Nightfall macrumors 6502

Romeo_Nightfall

Well, huge is a huge word ... its years over time that mac shall receive ios apps to run natively as macOS is the mother of iOS.
    If Tim not going mad mac will surely become all the stuff - but who cares - as nobody buys this overpriced dead on arrival crap anymore - no sane private person - i mean!

19. kissmo macrumors 6502a

Meh....

So they took their magazines from iBooks and put them in News+ subscription.
    Then they decided to enter the entertainment sector with their ATV service.... and gaming (lame gaming level in my opinion...)
    And on top of it, they do some form of Banking with their Apple Credit Card.

OK, I understand they need to find ways to generate revenue and I don't judge that. But it seemed a bit underwhelming mainly because it was services only update - most of which will be US and Canada only.

I am happy I went to run and spend some time with my family rather than watching the stream. :)

20. airshu, Mar 26, 2019
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2019

airshu macrumors newbie

Decentralization is the main bitcoin thing. So they're doing the opposite

21. MacHiavelli macrumors 65816

MacHiavelli

22. stonekirby macrumors member

stonekirby

Even these 6 minutes feel uninteresting and a waste all over again

23. Vjosullivan macrumors 6502a

Vjosullivan

Does it matter? How much more TV do you need from Apple that you can't already get?

24. Pakaku macrumors 68020

Pakaku

Sorry, but no. Ways to pay for and consume media, sure, but ways to actually be productive or actually do something, not so much.

25. M115CLE, Mar 26, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2019

M115CLE macrumors newbie

M115CLE