Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

ItsLachlan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 13, 2018
2
0
Sydney
Hey all! I’m new to this forum and also Mac in general. I’m looking at buying my first MacBook Pro. I’ve decided I want the 2017 15” MacBook Pro Quadcore 16GB Ram with Radeon 560 graphics. But researching further I’ve seem rumours about the future Mac with coffee lake hexcore. I’m wondering if I should wait for the next model or to go with the current 2017 15”.
I design in Photoshop, illustrator and Lightroom, browse net and would also like to be able to light game occasionally, GTAV with boot camp etc.
Im an apprentice plumber so want to spend my money wisely, if it means waiting for the next MacBook to future proof then that’s what I’ll do

I’m new to all of this, open to all opinions and recommendations
 
Last edited:

NT1440

macrumors G5
May 18, 2008
12,637
16,188
Hey all! I’m new to this forum and also Mac in general. I’m looking at buying my first MacBook Pro. I’ve decided I want the 2017 15” MacBook Pro Quadcore 16GB Ram with Radeon 560 graphics. But researching further I’ve seem rumours about the future Mac with coffee lake hexcore. I’m wondering if I should wait for the next model or to go with the current 2017 15”.
I design in Photoshop, illustrator and Lightroom, browse net and would also like to be able to light game occasionally, GTAV with boot camp etc.
Im an apprentice plumber so want to spend my money wisely, if it means waiting for the next MacBook to future proof then that’s what I’ll do

I’m new to all of this, open to all opinions and recommendations
Given that you already are open to it, Macs tend to be updated in either September or October. With the potential of the hardware updates improving the keyboard alone, not to mention processor updates, I’d just wait a few months.

Worst case scenario, the updates don’t seem worth it but you can buy the machine you like today for some sweet discounts.
 
  • Like
Reactions: ItsLachlan
Comment

Glockworkorange

Suspended
Feb 10, 2015
2,511
4,180
Chicago, Illinois
I think the general rule most people espouse is buy now if you absolutely need it, but wait if you can.

I also believe the conventional wisdom is that we will see a refresh in October, so if having the latest and greatest is truly important to you, limp along until October if possible.

For your uses, however, the 2017 15 inch MBP should be just fine. If you're really looking to get the most bang for your buck, check the Apple Store refurb page https://www.apple.com/shop/browse/home/specialdeals/mac

The 2017 MBP's will also come down in price from the big box stores once the 2018's are released, so there is a chance for even better deals in the fall.

Hope this helps and welcome to the Mac!
 
Comment

ItsLachlan

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 13, 2018
2
0
Sydney
I think the general rule most people espouse is buy now if you absolutely need it, but wait if you can.

I also believe the conventional wisdom is that we will see a refresh in October, so if having the latest and greatest is truly important to you, limp along until October if possible.

For your uses, however, the 2017 15 inch MBP should be just fine. If you're really looking to get the most bang for your buck, check the Apple Store refurb page https://www.apple.com/shop/browse/home/specialdeals/mac

The 2017 MBP's will also come down in price from the big box stores once the 2018's are released, so there is a chance for even better deals in the fall.

Hope this helps and welcome to the Mac!
Thank you! I think I’ll wait, if there’s no major “must have” upgrade to the 2018 then I’ll jump onto a 2017 model as they will drop in price
 
Comment

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
4,087
1,660
Given that you already are open to it, Macs tend to be updated in either September or October. With the potential of the hardware updates improving the keyboard alone, not to mention processor updates, I’d just wait a few months.

Worst case scenario, the updates don’t seem worth it but you can buy the machine you like today for some sweet discounts.


They won't unless you have a 13 inch MacBook Pro and even then its used base dependent. A quad core CPU will show significant improvement over the dual core but a rumored hex core won't show the same improvement going from a 4 core to 6 core cpu and even then cores don't mean much just look at the Apple A11 and Snapdragon 845. The A11 is a hexa core cpu which easily beats the Snapdragons 8 core setup. The keyboard won't be updated by any significant meaning so honestly a good deal on a 2017 is better then a 2018 model.
[doublepost=1528985562][/doublepost]
Just buy a Windows laptop. Apple doesn't care about Macs anymore.


MacOS is ten times better for a lot of tasks for me vs Windows. I was a windows person and now its only use is for Gaming TBH.
 
Comment

Fishrrman

macrumors Core
Feb 20, 2009
20,920
7,495
"Im an apprentice plumber so want to spend my money wisely, if it means waiting for the next MacBook to future proof then that’s what I’ll do"

"Wait" is what you should do.

The current MacBook Pro design is fraught with keyboard problems. A bad design from the get-go.

I'd advise you to wait until the 2018 models come out (probably later in the summer) if you can.

If you can't wait...
If you want the 15" display size, you can still buy the 2015-design MacBook Pro 15" (which has a keyboard that won't break, and a full complement of ports that one can actually use). These are still being built and sold "as new units" (scroll down on the 'buy MacBook Pro 15" page' to see them.

I cannot recommend the 2017 MBPro's at all.
 
Comment

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
4,087
1,660
"Im an apprentice plumber so want to spend my money wisely, if it means waiting for the next MacBook to future proof then that’s what I’ll do"

"Wait" is what you should do.

The current MacBook Pro design is fraught with keyboard problems. A bad design from the get-go.

I'd advise you to wait until the 2018 models come out (probably later in the summer) if you can.

If you can't wait...
If you want the 15" display size, you can still buy the 2015-design MacBook Pro 15" (which has a keyboard that won't break, and a full complement of ports that one can actually use). These are still being built and sold "as new units" (scroll down on the 'buy MacBook Pro 15" page' to see them.

I cannot recommend the 2017 MBPro's at all.


Fraught with issues? Its not great but its not going too change you can bet on that.

The specs are getting pretty old and it was old when the 2015 came out. Yeah its usable but it will be obsolete sooner then the 2016 or 2017


USB C is the future and No point in going for the older ports unless you really need them.
 
  • Like
Reactions: martyjmclean
Comment

Gara_kons

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2018
46
6
Is there anything trustworthy that suggests a new MacBook update this summer ? I’m in search too and on September I will leave for a masters degree abroad
 
Comment

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
4,087
1,660
Is there anything trustworthy that suggests a new MacBook update this summer ? I’m in search too and on September I will leave for a masters degree abroad


When in September? IF they announce an update it won't be until they do the iPhone conference which is usually the 2nd week of September or so? At best you'll see it released on day of announcement or a few weeks later so you're looking for anywhere between early to late September.

1% they will announce one in the Summer.
 
Comment

Gara_kons

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2018
46
6
My master starts at the 10th of September. And I was hoping until then to have a new laptop and especially a MacBook Pro
 
Comment

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
4,087
1,660
My master starts at the 10th of September. And I was hoping until then to have a new laptop and especially a MacBook Pro


Well they could announce it and release it the day of but you would be risking it I guess. Honestly If you can find a good deal on a 2017 go buy it and if you're of the paranoid kind go buy a 2015 then.
 
Comment

Gara_kons

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2018
46
6
I find two models tax free in a really good price here. But I don’t know if I should go with the TB version 13” or the nTB. Still undecided about it
 
Comment

Closingracer

macrumors 601
Jul 13, 2010
4,087
1,660
I find two models tax free in a really good price here. But I don’t know if I should go with the TB version 13” or the nTB. Still undecided about it


The nTB has slighter worse specs but otherwise the same experience in real world use compared to the TB model in terms of hardware with the exception of less ports.


TBH I would go with the TB for the 4 USB C ports vs 2. The TB gets some time to get used to but I find some use for it and love Touch ID on it.
 
Comment

Gara_kons

macrumors member
Jun 12, 2018
46
6
The only thing that bothers me in the TB version is the battery life. But I guess it would be fine with light daily use
 
Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.