Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

roxysdad

macrumors member
May 19, 2005
FWIW, I had the 6+ for one year exactly. I switched to the 6 a month ago and couldn't be happier. I loved the battery life of the 6+, but never needed it once. I loved the screen size, but found the phone too big (6', big hands). I loved the OIS in the camera, but never used it enough to matter. So I decided to 'downgrade' to the 6. It fits my hands, pants, jacket and life much better than the 6+. For my needs/wants/desires, the regular 6 is a great size. The 6+ was just too large of a good thing.

vlinkz

macrumors regular
Nov 28, 2006
Pacific Northwest
Coming from an iPhone 3GS and then a Moto G, the 6S+ just dwarfs them both. At first I was wondering if I could get used to it but I recently picked up my old Moto G and it felt like... a toy, just like the others have said.

I can one-hand it without problems but I find using both thumbs to type is much easier on a screen of this size.

Anand953

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2015
FWIW, I had the 6+ for one year exactly. I switched to the 6 a month ago and couldn't be happier. I loved the battery life of the 6+, but never needed it once. I loved the screen size, but found the phone too big (6', big hands). I loved the OIS in the camera, but never used it enough to matter. So I decided to 'downgrade' to the 6. It fits my hands, pants, jacket and life much better than the 6+. For my needs/wants/desires, the regular 6 is a great size. The 6+ was just too large of a good thing.
Makes sense.. Only after using both do we realize what is required for us.. Now you will be very clear in your mind during future upgrades about the size of the phone.

Still what I feel is in this generation, a 5" made with proper ergonomics from a standpoint of usability is what fits the bill perfectly. We do many more things in our mobile phones than we used to 2-3 years before. It's becoming our partial mobile computer. Here 4.7" feels a little small if you look at an overall level.

I have a 6s+ and even though I like it i would prefer something in the range of 5 - 5.2" with a reach ability feature (absolutely love it on my 6s+ and that's one of the major reasons I bought this phone). In 6s+ this feature makes complete sense as I always keep using it as I prefer using my phones 1 handed. With my large hands I didn't feel the need of this feature in the 4.7" one

ViperDesign

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
Utah
I have used quite a few big phones, 6+, Note 4, 5 and I must say, I really wish Apple would have done a in between the 4.7 inch and the 5.5 inch they have now. I feel a 5.2 is the perfect size for a phone. The iPhone 6+ is just too damn big for pants and what not, always bugged the heck out of me. Note 5 was great as the screen was bigger than the 6+ but still smaller in the hands.

I have large hands as well but I just didn't like how the 6+ felt. Need smaller bezels

Reactions: Redmond94

Zetaprime

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2011
Ohio, US
I have used quite a few big phones, 6+, Note 4, 5 and I must say, I really wish Apple would have done a in between the 4.7 inch and the 5.5 inch they have now. I feel a 5.2 is the perfect size for a phone. The iPhone 6+ is just too damn big for pants and what not, always bugged the heck out of me. Note 5 was great as the screen was bigger than the 6+ but still smaller in the hands.

I have large hands as well but I just didn't like how the 6+ felt. Need smaller bezels

The plus fits in my pants pockets just fine. Your pants must have very small pockets.

IphoneIssues

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 30, 2010
Maybe you carry more stuff in your pockets than I do. For me the larger phone didn't make any real difference since I don't keep much else in that pocket.

I was just saying there's still room in my pocket whenever my phone is in it. 90% of the time, all I have in my pockets is my phone and my keys.

convergent

macrumors 68040
May 6, 2008
I was just saying there's still room in my pocket whenever my phone is in it. 90% of the time, all I have in my pockets is my phone and my keys.

My left pants pocket has been used exclusively for my phone for many years. Right pants pocket gets keys, comb, and anything else. This is one reason I have a phone for over a year and no scratches on it. Can't imagine anyone thinking its good to put your iPhone and keys in the same pocket. There are a few pairs of my jeans that the front pockets are shorter and puts the phone in the bend when you sit, so whenever I wear them I take the iPhone out of my pocket when sitting. This is probably the one case where the 6S Plus size is a negative. But most of my pants, and all of my work pants, have deep pockets where it has plenty of room to be below the fold when I'm sitting.

Reactions: Voodoofreak

IphoneIssues

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Dec 30, 2010
My left pants pocket has been used exclusively for my phone for many years. Right pants pocket gets keys, comb, and anything else. This is one reason I have a phone for over a year and no scratches on it. Can't imagine anyone thinking its good to put your iPhone and keys in the same pocket. There are a few pairs of my jeans that the front pockets are shorter and puts the phone in the bend when you sit, so whenever I wear them I take the iPhone out of my pocket when sitting. This is probably the one case where the 6S Plus size is a negative. But most of my pants, and all of my work pants, have deep pockets where it has plenty of room to be below the fold when I'm sitting.

I always delegate one pocket to my phone and one pocket to my keys. I had one incident where it was raining, and I accidentally threw my glasses into the pocket that had my keys in it. Now, I naturally keep my phone in a separate pocket, even though I've got it protected with a "rugged" case, and a tempered glass screen protector.

Zetaprime

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2011
Ohio, US
I always delegate one pocket to my phone and one pocket to my keys. I had one incident where it was raining, and I accidentally threw my glasses into the pocket that had my keys in it. Now, I naturally keep my phone in a separate pocket, even though I've got it protected with a "rugged" case, and a tempered glass screen protector.

I do the same. Phone in one pocket and keys in the other. Also have case and glass screen protector.

ViperDesign

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2007
Utah
The plus fits in my pants pockets just fine. Your pants must have very small pockets.

Well for me it takes up my entire pocket which isn't the most comfortable. Like I said if they would design like the Note 5 you wold get a bigger screen and a smaller phone. It is time for Apple to lose the huge top and bottoms of the phone like they have.

Zetaprime

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2011
Ohio, US
Well for me it takes up my entire pocket which isn't the most comfortable. Like I said if they would design like the Note 5 you wold get a bigger screen and a smaller phone. It is time for Apple to lose the huge top and bottoms of the phone like they have.

That certainly wouldn't hurt...and the phone would look better as well.

Reactions: ViperDesign

hdthu

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2015
After I bought Air2 a few days ago, I pay less attention on 6sp now. I probably should just keep 6s.

Anand953

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2015
After I bought Air2 a few days ago, I pay less attention on 6sp now. I probably should just keep 6s.
The other way round for me.. After the arrival of 6s+ my usage of iPad Air has reduced when at home. My obviously reading and videos are much preferred in the bigger screen

hdthu

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2015
The other way round for me.. After the arrival of 6s+ my usage of iPad Air has reduced when at home. My obviously reading and videos are much preferred in the bigger screen

Why don't you use Air/Air2 the bigger screen for video and reading at home? The 6s is easier to carry around when I am out.

Reactions: Moi Ici

BigDO

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2012
The only thing I can't do one handed on the 6S+ (I'm right handed) is activate the task switcher by pressing on the left hand side of the screen. Just can't reach that far.

hdthu

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2015

I have been using 6s+ for a month, absolutely loved the bigger size, but like you said: i never needed the bigger battery life once; never used the OIS because I have a good camera. I can use my Macbook Pro to reply message for most of the time, so the only time I need to use the phone is when I am on the move. 6s fits my need better than 6sp.

Anand953

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2015
Why don't you use Air/Air2 the bigger screen for video and reading at home? The 6s is easier to carry around when I am out.
Guess it's the newness syndrome for me currently.. Have the iPad for over a year now whereas my 6s+ is just a month old..

unagimiyagi

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2009
1 handed use is impossible unless you are 7 feet tall. It is the largest 5.5 " phone on the market with a very poor screen to body ratio.

Reactions: Moi Ici

Anand953

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2015
1 handed use is impossible unless you are 7 feet tall. It is the largest 5.5 " phone on the market with a very poor screen to body ratio.
Not necessary.. Am 6'3 and I use it one handed.. Reachability feature helps me a lot too.. Plus for tall people or people with big hands, typing is far more comfortable in this phone compared to 6s

Peepo

macrumors 65816
Jun 18, 2009
Went from 6 to 6s plus. Wouldn't go back to a smaller phone. I can make by and do most things one handed like make calls, check messages and email, and browse web but you really need to use two hands for doing most other tasks. Not a big deal because normally when I'm typing an email or something I am stopped and focused on it and can use two hands. It's not like I'm walking around everywhere trying to use the phone one handed all the time.

Last edited:
Reactions: Anand953

Azzin

macrumors 603
Jun 23, 2010
London, England.
No problems using my 6S+ one handed, unlike my 6+ that I returned within the 14 day return window and went to a 6.

I went from a 5S to a 6+ and I think it was too much of a jump (for me), but going from my 6 to the 6S+ has been a breeze.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.