Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Fourth-Generation iPod Touch Does NOT Have Vibration

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001
https://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogodarkd.png

Another piece of news coming out of iFixit's iPod Touch teardown is that despite an earlier report, Apple's newest iPod Touch does not include a motor for vibration. TouchFans apparently mis-identified a microphone for a vibration motor on the FCC photographs.

Meanwhile, Apple has changed the text on the iPod Touch's Facetime page to remove the vibration reference. The original text:
If somebody wants to start a video call with you, you’ll receive an invitation -- along with a vibrating alert -- on your iPod touch asking you to join. Simply tap Accept, and the video call begins.
It now reads:
If somebody wants to start a video call with you, you’ll receive an invitation on your iPod touch asking you to join. Simply tap Accept, and the video call begins.
Vibrating alerts have been an iPhone-only feature and has also been used as force-feedback method in certain games.

Article Link: Fourth-Generation iPod Touch Does Have Vibration

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
Why is this such an exciting feature that they're keeping this from iPod?

Or is it to save space?

Comment

bludodge

macrumors 6502
Jan 10, 2010
So much for having it in your pocket and knowing. Not good for the deaf as hoped as well. Is the phone capable of it though? are the parts there for it? This was a big marketing deal for the deaf I thought.

Comment

SlamJam12

macrumors regular
Sep 1, 2010
Surprise

That's a surprise. Didn't someone post in a thread of his/her conversation with an Apple employee about vibration in the new iPod Touch and was told there was vibration in the iPod Touch?

Comment

vincenz

macrumors 601
Oct 20, 2008
Funny that Apple would slip up on something like this. Happens to everyone I guess.

Comment

Don Kosak

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2010
Hilo, Hawaii
I bought one about an hour ago.

Saved me some time trying to figure out how to turn on "vibrating" alerts. LOL

Although it would be nice for games and such, audio alerts are fine for me. (It would have been a nice accessibility feature for the deaf though...)

So far, it's the best iPod ever. Very fast, iPad fast. I have an older iPhone, so I'm getting spoiled by the retina display and speed.

Comment

techapocalypse

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2010
Well at least it's got an IPS display....wait.... :(

I was really pumped but then after hearing it has 256mb of RAM also, I'm kind of bummed. I'm sure it works great tho just seems they were really trying to cut the cost of this thing down

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.