Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Juan007

macrumors 6502a
Jun 14, 2010
Complete trash, let me know when they release a phone that doesn't catch fire.

andy42

macrumors member
Jun 2, 2010
Frankfurt/Main
Ppl who complain about the price, just calm down, it was and it will be the same, after 2-3 months the price is going down to a normal level (except for iPhone) and many tel-companies will give you a phone for really nice price with a contract.
I got my GS7 for 1 Euro with 2y contract (Allnet-Flat incl. free calls in the whole Germany and cuz we don't have roaming fees anymore the price is also for EU) and I pay only 20 Euro per month.

You guys need to be patient and not playing beta-tester and you will get a nice phone, save time and money. I will never ever buy again a phone in the first 2 months. I did it with iPhone 4 and 5S (pre-order) and I've had always trouble with those devices. I learned my lesson and I wait now for a couple of months and it looks pretty fine, no more trouble with my phones or other hardware anymore.

Starfyre

macrumors 68030
Nov 7, 2010
iPhone 8 better innovate, and Apple probably should stop leaking so Samsung can't take advantage of them. Am optimistic about iPhone 8, but will strongly consider getting this in the Fall if 7S or 'premium' model ends up underwhelming.

This may be good for the consumer to help us prevent Apple from making the premium "iPhone 8" way overpriced, overpriced it will be I am sure, but not way overpriced.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Haha, good luck selling $859 phones to your customers who are already wary of your brand after they were literally burned last time. You can't sell Android phones at $859. This would be like Kia selling $70,000 Optimas. It's just not going to happen.

It's funny that the S8 looks pretty much exactly like what the iPhone 8 rumors suggest. At least they came up with somewhat original colors!

dannys1

macrumors 68040
Sep 19, 2007
UK
I can't really say if it looks bad or good from that photo to be honest. I mean. The photo just looks like some wall paper with a black bit at the top and bottom. How can that look good...or bad? I'd need to hold it in my hand, see the back, check the materials, look at the seals, feel the texture to tell if it looks well designed or not.

At the moment this idea of having less bezels seems engineeringly difficult for the manufacturers to pull of, but for a user i'm not sure at the end of the day any of us are really going to care much. I think it's harder for the makers to create than the resulting consumer impact it will have. I mainly look forward to having something smaller to carry around than the way it looks in my hand.

Reactions: 5105973

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
What kills Android for me are manufacturer overlays and carriers meddling with software updates updates, the latter being more prevalent in the US and Canada than elsewhere in the world. I'm one of the people who care about timely updates (one of the appeals of iOS), so Samsung is a non-starter for me, regardless of how nice it may be. Of course, it's possible to get an unlocked phone and bypass carrier meddling, but that's not always a viable solution. As far as I know, all US-based carriers have already rolled out Nougat to their variants of the Galaxy s7, whereas the US unlocked version is still on Marshmallow.

With that being said, this looks like a very nice phone and I'm sure Samsung will make a hefty profit from it. Many people will love it, but those who care about timely updates should spend their money elsewhere. I've owned three Galaxy phones (S, S3 and S4) before switching to the iPhone and my wife is currently using the S7, having previously used the S6. The update release schedules are abysmal, to say the least.
Over on the Alternatives to iOS part of this forum someone posted a link to news that Samsung has promised to keep up a schedule timely updates for unlocked phones. So far I haven't seen anything pushed to my unlocked S7.

Our AT&T S7 Edges have access to the latest updates, when we checked earlier this month.

HTC has been great at keeping my unlocked HTC 10 updated.

It really does vary with Android, and that is indeed a drawback to consider.

Reactions: AlphaGuitarist

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
The difference is that Samsung has been and continues to be Apple's main competitor in the premium phone category. Sure you can get a cheap no name for a fraction of what the iPhone gets, but for premium phones I think its smart move.

You can't buy a cheap iOS phone though. So if you want to save money and switch to Android, why not save a ton of money and buy an Android phone for $60? Or buy a flagship level phone for $400.

Reactions: Debel

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
"colors described as Black Sky, Orchid Grey, and Arctic Silver"

Or, as humans, and not marketing dorks, call them: black, grey and silver.

Reactions: andy42

gim

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2014
800€ for a Samsung doesn't "undercut" anything in my opinion.

pokerplayer73

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2011
Florida, USA
Given that you can buy a functional Android smartphone for $60 new from Amazon, I'm not sure that undercutting the iPhone is going to be enough.

As for Apple, people who up upgrade every year, will still upgrade every year to iPhone. And folks using the 6 or older will upgrade as well. That is enough users to meet Apple's sales targets at launch. And I suspect these rumored high costs for the 8 are going to be coupled with high ram, so the price compared to current 256gb models isn't going to be that different.

Not all of them. Until AT&T subsidized my iPhone every 2 years, I kept up with 2 year cycle. My 6S is still going great. Will probably use it for another year or so, then look at getting 2017 model in 2018/2019.

Reactions: ohio.emt and andy42

baller1308

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2009
I thought the tweet was a joke when it came to colors since they all have the same black front. 6.2" almost $1k, wtf. Reported 10th anniversary edition going to be priced upwards of $1k. Doesn't seem like a "significant" undercut to me.

pokerplayer73

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2011
Florida, USA
Not really. Amortise the cost of the device over it's expected lifetime and it's fairly reasonable. I'll have had 36 months of use out of my iPhone 6 Plus by the time I think of upgrading it - that works out as $749/36 = $20p/m. Pretty reasonable imo! The hardware lasts so much longer these days that regular upgrades are for people with more money than sense or just a lack of sense in general.

Very True. I am planning to keep my 6S for another year or so(36 to 40 months in total), now that AT&T does not subsidize the phone. My brother is still using my 5S bought in Sep 2013. works great even now.

Reactions: ohio.emt

MistrSynistr

macrumors 68000
May 15, 2014
I think Samsung have stepped up their game in the last couple of years, as an iPhone user i have to admit that those images look good however what lets Samsung down is Touch Wiz and Android, if Samsung did the same as Apple by making the hardware and the software (without Android) then i really think it could be an iPhone competitor but as it stands i wouldn't buy one. 2 things would be great for Samsung

1. Regular updates like Apple do with IOS (better security updates as well)
2. Making their own OS rather than just putting it on top of Android (clean up Touch Wiz a lot)

Price wise i'm not really bothered about, the reason i'm happy to spend more on Apple products is because of the quality, lack of problems i have and the excellent customer service. If the iPhone 8 packs in everything that has so far been rumoured i won't have a problem paying £1000 for one.

This post is hilarious.

They had EXPLODING PHONES LAST YEAR. LOL!

Reactions: Nand

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
Given that you can buy a functional Android smartphone for $60 new from Amazon, I'm not sure that undercutting the iPhone is going to be enough.

I own that phone, and "functional" is the right word. Just barely. It made a nice backup phone until I found out the Chinese use it to spy on you.

Nick A

macrumors 6502
May 10, 2009
Maybe it's something you've envisioned, but certainly not me. Personally I don't like it at all.

Design wise, reducing a product to it's minimalist extreme is an obvious option...but not always the best design in terms of usability.

Aesthetically speaking it lacks any emotion or personality. It's essentially a slab of glass.

So what's your ideal phone design?

Sounds like you'd rather have black or white bezels around the screen (also made of glass) than more screen real estate in the same size phone.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
So a product that hasn't been priced is going to undercut another product that hasn't been priced? Got it.

Dave245

macrumors G3
Sep 15, 2013
This post is hilarious.

They had EXPLODING PHONES LAST YEAR. LOL!

Yes they did in the Note 7, I'm referring to the S8 this year and My post is talking about their design, they have stepped up from the days of or cheap plastic backs. I can't believe I'm defending Samsung but I can't deny that the S8 looks like a great phone from those photos. The OS on the other hand is a different matter.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
I own that phone, and "functional" is the right word. Just barely. It made a nice backup phone until I found out the Chinese use it to spy on you.

The Blu 1? I thought BLU was a Brazilian company.
Except for the camera it works pretty well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.