Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

interessiert

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2012
I think spending 2k on a 3 year old computer is more then I'm willing to spend on old technology.

This technology is far enough for average purposes for many years to come :)

An far better than to get in touch with keyboard butterfly disease case... and enjoy the gap to the pricing of a 15" comparable 2018 MBP ;)

Jinx Mac

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2018
San Anselmo, CA
I think spending 2k on a 3 year old computer is more then I'm willing to spend on old technology.

I am finding "like new" 2015 13" 256 MBP for anywhere from $850 and up - Seems like the best are selling for around $1,100 - Amazon has some trusted sellers that you can actually reach out. I have also confirmed with Apple that I can bring any unit to them for inspection.

I'm actually bummed because I am now used to the feel of the keyboard that fails. I love the look and feel of the 2018. Such a shame.

Reactions: navaira

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
I am finding "like new" 2015 13" 256 MBP for anywhere from $850 and up - Seems like the best are selling for around $1,100 - Amazon has some trusted sellers that you can actually reach out. I have also confirmed with Apple that I can bring any unit to them for inspection.
I was so close to finding a used 2015 machine, I think spending 850 - 1,200 is more like it for a 3 year old computer (just my personal preference). I opted for the 2018 MBP, so far it hasn't let me down, though I am concerned about the longevity.

Jinx Mac

macrumors member
Oct 22, 2018
San Anselmo, CA
I was so close to finding a used 2015 machine, I think spending 850 - 1,200 is more like it for a 3 year old computer (just my personal preference). I opted for the 2018 MBP, so far it hasn't let me down, though I am concerned about the longevity.
How long havee you had your 2018 MBP? I am on my 5th since August. This onee has started to repeat thee 'e' key as you can see. Wed. will mark one eweek with this machine.

Reactions: Te0SX and navaira

puma1552

Suspended
Nov 20, 2008
Refurb store had mid-2015 15"ers in 2.2/512 and 2.5/512 today for a brief period in addition to the 2.2/256 they have had for a few days. Both of the higher spec machines disappeared in an hour.

darkmatter343

macrumors 6502
Sep 18, 2017
Toronto, Canada
No question, but apple is charging what others are for current technology. That is I can get a 2018 Coffee lake equipped laptop with a great keyboard, nice display and better GPU for what apple is charging for the 2015 model.

Absolutely. You just have to be ok with using a $hitty OS. Windows 10 is the OS I use at work and that's more than enough time I want to spend on it. Having been in the IT industry for 20 years, I know first hand the superior hardware that can be obtained by going the PC route, but after using Windows for the majority of my life, I'm sticking with OSX now.

hansheiner

macrumors newbie
Oct 22, 2018
I have to say that I am always very suprised by everyones stories of stuck keys.

I bought a new Macbook 12 inch in 2016. First Gen. Butterfly. One time there was something stuck under the Spacebar. I pressed it hard a few times - gone. I never had another problem.
I wrote two novels on the thing.

This year I bought a 2017 MBP TB on the cheap. Second Gen. Keyboard which I like much better. No issues yet.

Also I just throw my Laptops in a bag without a case or any other protection.

Nevertheless, I can see that I might be an exception to the rule and I do hope that apple will keep improving the keyboard .

Just wanted to share my experience.

scrappygolucky

macrumors member
Sep 15, 2018
Absolutely. You just have to be ok with using a $hitty OS. Windows 10 is the OS I use at work and that's more than enough time I want to spend on it. Having been in the IT industry for 20 years, I know first hand the superior hardware that can be obtained by going the PC route, but after using Windows for the majority of my life, I'm sticking with OSX now.

This is the dilemma I'm having. I am so sick of Windows. I've dealt with its non-functional BS for my whole life. So I am slowly migrating my tech over to apple, got an iphone x and am now looking for a laptop.

I had the iphone XS first... it had signal issues so I went with the X. I want to get a laptop for typing... the keyboard is subpar. I went in and tested out a bunch of apples and pcs today and the Surface Pro of all things had just an amazing tactile feel.

Like I get wanting to have a great design, but the core function of the device has to come first. I really want a True Tone screen and great build quality, but I also want a great keyboard. This really shouldn't be a compromise.

TomOSeven

Suspended
Jul 4, 2017
No question, but apple is charging what others are for current technology. That is I can get a 2018 Coffee lake equipped laptop with a great keyboard, nice display and better GPU for what apple is charging for the 2015 model.

Thinkpad X1 Extreme beckons.

Or get an XPS and a week long trip to Ireland, same price, better specs.

Reactions: Never mind

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Thinkpad X1 Extreme beckons.
LOL, I know. If X1E was out sooner (when I was looking to buy a laptop), I would have taken the plunge. Its hard to justify selling my MBP and buying the 1XE. With Black Friday, I may not lose too much money, but still, I don't know if its a worth the headache and hassle of switching over. I am tempted though...

Ma2k5

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2012
London
LOL, I know. If X1E was out sooner (when I was looking to buy a laptop), I would have taken the plunge. Its hard to justify selling my MBP and buying the 1XE. With Black Friday, I may not lose too much money, but still, I don't know if its a worth the headache and hassle of switching over. I am tempted though...

I think I remember PM’ing you about it prior to release.

Having now been released, I think it’s not worth it. If you was to switch, imo the only 3 laptops worthy of a switch are the XPS 9570, RazerBlade 15 (which you had previously) and potentially the Aero 15X.

The reasons for it, mainly compared to the XPS 9570 is:

- it’s more price for same specs
- it has an inferior display used than the Dell
- not a fan of Ctrl+fn keys swapped
- it has over 10Wh less battery
- lacks media controls on function keys
- cooling design same as Carbon series which isn’t the best

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Having now been released, I think it’s not worth it
Yeah, its not worth it at this point, because I do have a well working machine, though the keyboard's longevity is a concern, but also I'll take a hit financially (selling the MBP just to buy the 1Xe), though BF deals may mitigate some of that

Ma2k5

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2012
London
Yeah, its not worth it at this point, because I do have a well working machine, though the keyboard's longevity is a concern, but also I'll take a hit financially (selling the MBP just to buy the 1Xe), though BF deals may mitigate some of that

I actually bought the new Air yesterday and was going to try buy one of the Vega variants of the 15" if they popped up to try, but today I have got an urge to get the Razer Blade 15...

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
but today I have got an urge to get the Razer Blade 15
The Razer Blade is a good machine, they keyboard is really nice, much better then the butterfly keyboard and it feels solid. The only downside of that keyboard is the backlighting - it doesn't illuminate the shift-numbers, i.e., #$%^ and other secondary values on the function keys.

The keyboard is what gives me pause on the MBP

Ma2k5

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2012
London
The Razer Blade is a good machine, they keyboard is really nice, much better then the butterfly keyboard and it feels solid. The only downside of that keyboard is the backlighting - it doesn't illuminate the shift-numbers, i.e., #$%^ and other secondary values on the function keys.

Yep the backligting and lack of Windows Hello is annoying, but I have noticed I don’t use either often (you login not often and I don’t work in dark spaces).

Reactions: maflynn

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO

I wish the keyboard was the only thing that gave me pause with the 2018 MBP. The kernel panics and still reports of the frailty of the screen coatings persist. They just don't seem to be the durable machines that you could just trust like they once had been.

I so want to give yet another try with the new Vega options too. But ugh... I just don't have much faith in Apple these days and just have this omen that more likely than not I would just regret being an early Vega adopter with a failed keyboard :)

Reactions: interessiert

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
The reasons for it, mainly compared to the XPS 9570 is:

- it’s more price for same specs
- it has an inferior display used than the Dell
- not a fan of Ctrl+fn keys swapped
- it has over 10Wh less battery
- lacks media controls on function keys
- cooling design same as Carbon series which isn’t the best

I don't own X1E, but I do own fully specd up X1C. Screen on this thing is way better then on any Dell laptop, it feels and looks like an Amoled straight from Samsung. And X1E 4K uses the same screen. FHD version is way worse then on Dell laptop. You can swap fn and ctrl keys easily.

Looking at reviews, Dells 9570 has really bad thermals. Not MBP bad, but not good also. X1E seems to be better in that department. Not personal experience, just judging by mostly youtube reviews.

Only thing where dell surely wins is battery life.

And yes, X1E does cost more. But you get better ports, way better build quality, and probably the best keyboard out there. For me just the keyboard part is worth the price, build quality is just icing on the cake :)

navaira

macrumors 68040
May 28, 2015
Amsterdam, Netherlands
I bought a new Macbook 12 inch in 2016. First Gen. Butterfly. One time there was something stuck under the Spacebar. I pressed it hard a few times - gone. I never had another problem.
I wrote two novels on the thing.

This year I bought a 2017 MBP TB on the cheap. Second Gen. Keyboard which I like much better. No issues yet.
I'm glad that your 1st and 2nd gen keyboards don't have the problems of the 3rd gen, which is being discussed in this thread ;)

This onee has started to repeat thee 'e' key as you can see. Wed. will mark one eweek with this machine.
You beat my record of 12 days!!! Damn you!!!

Reactions: Jinx Mac

Ma2k5

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2012
London
I don't own X1E, but I do own fully specd up X1C. Screen on this thing is way better then on any Dell laptop, it feels and looks like an Amoled straight from Samsung. And X1E 4K uses the same screen. FHD version is way worse then on Dell laptop. You can swap fn and ctrl keys easily.

Looking at reviews, Dells 9570 has really bad thermals. Not MBP bad, but not good also. X1E seems to be better in that department. Not personal experience, just judging by mostly youtube reviews.

Only thing where dell surely wins is battery life.

And yes, X1E does cost more. But you get better ports, way better build quality, and probably the best keyboard out there. For me just the keyboard part is worth the price, build quality is just icing on the cake :)

The optional upgraded X1C screen offered (which I agree is excellent) is not available for the X1E. It was actually a complaint I made on the Lenovo forum.

Also, having looked through the X1C forum, I don't agree with the build quality statement.

I am actually usin an X1 Carbon at work as we speak (albeit with the default FHD screen).

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
Also, having looked through the X1C forum, I don't agree with the build quality statement.

I can't speak in general, but I'm more then pleased with my unit. Not even a smallest issue so far.

Ma2k5

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2012
London
I can't speak in general, but I'm more then pleased with my unit. Not even a smallest issue so far.

I had the perception they were solid as a tank. Turns out that the design and QC of the X series doesn’t compete with its legendary T series.

http://forum.notebookreview.com/threads/thinkpad-x1-carbon-6th-gen-owners-lounge.813955/page-49

Here is the forum thread - it’s long and it covers not just poor QC, but design compromises. In the end, I didn’t feel it was worth the extra over a Dell.

Reactions: navaira and c0ppo

_Kiki_

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2017
Yep the backligting and lack of Windows Hello is annoying, but I have noticed I don’t use either often (you login not often and I don’t work in dark spaces).
Blade 15 has pretty poor battery life
Aero 14 v8 has an amazing battery life which is comparable with battery life in MBP 15 TB 2018

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.