Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mythos99

macrumors regular
May 24, 2016

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
I got myself yesterday the new MBP 15, with core i9, 32GB Ram, and i'm loving it, except for the TB which is so stupid, but my biggest issue right now is the keyboard. Did some people get used to it over time, cause after one day, i kinda hate it...

You can get used to it. Some people prefer it

I never adjusted to it myself, I find even these latest ones too loud

nordique

macrumors 68000
Oct 12, 2014
I have an MBP 15 2015, so it's my first time with the butterfly keyboard, sound doesn't bother me that much, but it feels kinda tiresome typing on it.

The typing experience is subpar compared to the older ones, imo

I depend on mostly typing so I reverted to my older retina late 2013 MBP, no force touch trackpad unfortunately but for my uses its the same user experience as the newer computers (i've owned newer butterfly devices)

In terms of fatigue, that is likely because there is less travel and you're used to hitting a key with more force - that will take time, as you re-educate your muscles to not hit the keyboard as hard. That fatigue should go away over time

Stick with it, would be my suggestion. It all depends on how bothersome it ends up being. Ive been a huge fan of going back to the older keyboard, and I have not needed any more performance than I am using right now, but thats for my uses and needs.

Mythos99

macrumors regular
May 24, 2016
The typing experience is subpar compared to the older ones, imo

I depend on mostly typing so I reverted to my older retina late 2013 MBP, no force touch trackpad unfortunately but for my uses its the same user experience as the newer computers (i've owned newer butterfly devices)

In terms of fatigue, that is likely because there is less travel and you're used to hitting a key with more force - that will take time, as you re-educate your muscles to not hit the keyboard as hard. That fatigue should go away over time

Stick with it, would be my suggestion. It all depends on how bothersome it ends up being. Ive been a huge fan of going back to the older keyboard, and I have not needed any more performance than I am using right now, but thats for my uses and needs.

Yeah, i will keep it for few weeks, and see how it feels then, maybe i really just need to get used to it, well, at least i hope so. If not, well, i will just go back, not that hard for me, i mean, people should enjoy their machines, no reason to stick with something you are not happy with it :).

Reactions: SDColorado

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
I got myself yesterday the new MBP 15, with core i9, 32GB Ram, and i'm loving it, except for the TB which is so stupid, but my biggest issue right now is the keyboard. Did some people get used to it over time, cause after one day, i kinda hate it...

I have. I now prefer it to the chicklet keyboard. I truly hated Gen 1, it was worse than typing on glass. Gen 2 is actually very usable, and I reach for my 2017 rMB rather than my 2015 rMBP when I want to type something. Gen 3 on the rMBA I'm using seems similar to Gen 2 - maybe a little quieter and a little less clicky. The old chicklet kb feels mushy to me now. YMMV.

Ploki

macrumors 601
Jan 21, 2008
I'm typing on the old 2012 keyboard right now and after a month on the new one i gotta say - i prefer the 2018 keyboard.
if only "i" key wouldnt double stroke.

ugh.

SDColorado

macrumors 601
Nov 6, 2011
Highlands Ranch, CO
I'm typing on the old 2012 keyboard right now and after a month on the new one i gotta say - i prefer the 2018 keyboard.
if only "i" key wouldnt double stroke.

ugh.

At least yours stroked. I had the opposite problem where a few keys I had to hit 2, 3 or more times to get them to register a stroke.

Reactions: Ploki

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2009
Slovenia, EU
In general I would say the majority prefers the typing experience on new keyboards, albeit with some learning curve.

But these are two completely separate issues. Typing experience is one thing, overly subjective. An input device, failing in magnitudes never before heard of, rendering a €3000 laptop inoperable, pending a lengthy service in objectively unacceptable.

I find it interesting, that media isn't reporting more about this. A few more articles on Macrumors and other pages and people would first of all start noticing these problems and attributing them to a hardware failure (and not their own typing mistakes) and second of all laying off upgrades for their computers into the future.

You know, for when Apple re-reinvents the keyboard.

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2009
Slovenia, EU
Trading your journalist independence for a few invitations to Apple events and a few freebies...

Yes, I agree with you, but I do not understand it.

Ma2k5

macrumors 68030
Dec 21, 2012
London
In general I would say the majority prefers the typing experience on new keyboards, albeit with some learning curve.

But these are two completely separate issues. Typing experience is one thing, overly subjective. An input device, failing in magnitudes never before heard of, rendering a €3000 laptop inoperable, pending a lengthy service in objectively unacceptable.

I find it interesting, that media isn't reporting more about this. A few more articles on Macrumors and other pages and people would first of all start noticing these problems and attributing them to a hardware failure (and not their own typing mistakes) and second of all laying off upgrades for their computers into the future.

You know, for when Apple re-reinvents the keyboard.

Not sure how accurate this is https://www.laptopmag.com/articles/apple-macbook-keyboard-failure-rate but 11% is quite a scary number. If Gen 3 had actually fixed the issues, it would have alleviate all my concerns about buying one (even with the occasional KP and the TouchBar),

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2009
Slovenia, EU
We're already seeing reports of failed 3rd gen keyboards, also from notable individuals like BTT developer Andreas Hegenberg.

11% is the (alleged) return rate. There might (much) more in the wild, having been quoted €700+ for services (I know a couple of people, who just lived with this until Apple extended warranty).

Additionally iFixIt did a teardown and concluded that leaky butterfly condom only postpones the inevitable - a rogue dust speck rubbing the gentle mechanism the wrong way.

MrGunnyPT

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2017
Quick question guys, I'm sending in my MacBook Pro 2017 due to stuck keys later today, what do they actually replace in this process? Are they replacing the keyboard alone or the whole thing as in cpu+ battery + speakers + grill and etc..?

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2009
Slovenia, EU
What processor? No, the logic board stays put, so does your data.

Basically in terms of service Apple's laptops consist of three parts. Topcase, logic board (proc, RAM, SSD, graphics) and display. These can be replaced separately. Eveything else is soldered or glued together.

MrGunnyPT

macrumors 65816
Mar 23, 2017
What processor? No, the logic board stays put, so does your data.

Basically in terms of service Apple's laptops consist of three parts. Topcase, logic board (proc, RAM, SSD, graphics) and display. These can be replaced separately. Eveything else is soldered or glued together.

Ah alright gotcha, I thought they would replace the logic board too.

Nice to get a new batter in this deal thou mine is already at 90%

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2009
Slovenia, EU
I guess it's already crazy expensive without that :).

Don't worry about the battery. In a year or so (sooner if you're unlucky) you're getting a new one with the new keyboard...

Reactions: Yvan256

natif09

macrumors newbie
Nov 19, 2018
lol this was one of my pros for the MacBook Pro : "I'll get a new battery when my keyboard will fail".
But this keyboard definitely prevents me from buying it, even with gen3...

Reactions: turbineseaplane

Trey M

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2011
USA
No. You had better at least have a Plan B computer because you will probably be sending it off for several weeks waiting for a top case replacement at some point. If it isn't your only computer, you can work around that. If it is, that's a problem.
As much as I'd love to be able to due to potential for failure on newer MBP's, I'm someone that'll never be able to escape macOS because I just love it. With the recent trajectory of issues which have occurred relating to the MacBook Pro (2016, 2017, 2018), the only thing that'll truly give piece of mind is having a backup device whenever something inevitably goes awry with my MBP.

Unfortunately I think I need to upgrade my piece of mind as using my rMB 2016 for 2 weeks as my backup device for work just did not cut it. Lol. Maybe upgrading to a new Air would make it all better.

Last edited:

macrumors 65816
Mar 7, 2009
Slovenia, EU
As much as I'd love to be able to due to potential for failure on newer MBP's, I'm someone that'll never be able to escape macOS because I just love it. But with the recent trajectory of issues which have been seen for issues relating to the MacBook Pro (2016, 2017, 2018), the only thing that'll truly give piece of mind is having a backup device whenever something inevitably goes awry with my MBP.

Unfortunately I think I need to upgrade my piece of mind as using my rMB 2016 for 2 weeks as my backup device for work just did not cut it. Lol. Maybe upgrading to a new Air would make it all better.

This is exactly my standpoint also. I'm contemplating getting a 2017 rMB on top of 2018 15 MBP. But it feels like Stockholm Syndrome...

Trey M

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2011
USA
This is exactly my standpoint also. I'm contemplating getting a 2017 rMB on top of 2018 15 MBP. But it feels like Stockholm Syndrome...
I got a kick when I read Stockholm Syndrome earlier in the the thread lol. You're not wrong.

I just can't deal with the rMB processor and RAM configuration. I'm sure the 2017 machines run a lot better than my maxed 2016 rMB due to 16GB RAM and a processor bump, but all I know is my rMB 2016 just could not handle my workflow. Just having 6-7 windows open in Microsoft Outlook (with a few other open apps) made it terribly slow. You expect to have to be patient with a backup device, but it was almost unusable in a number of scenarios.

Personally having done the dance, I think I'd stay away from the rMB primarily due to the one-port USB-C configuration. While I have rarely required using a second port (even when using the Apple USB-C multiport adapter), it has happened a number of times and it really makes it feel more like a toy than a real machine. They could at least make it Thunderbolt 3, but at this point it looks like Apple will be abandoning the rMB and just keep the Air around, which is an overall better machine.

Last edited:

turbineseaplane

macrumors Pentium
Mar 19, 2008
11% is the (alleged) return rate. There might (much) more in the wild,

On that note, I'm away right now and typing on my partners 2016 nTB...which still has a half stuck space bar.
I've been too busy and her lacking the time to go deal with it at a store and be without her computer...her solution is using it mostly docked with an external Magic Keyboard.

I'll bet "in the wild" there are loads of keyboard issues that aren't showing up anywhere in Apple's system of tracking it.

Reactions: cfdlab
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.