Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rbf1138

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2007
I just tried them out this AM and went for the pay service. So far its working like a charm!!! Glad that I found this!

chaz

Let us know if you have any issues with it. Right now it's showing "Downloading" and hasn't updated my mailbox in about an hour...

Chaztrip

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2014
West Des Moines
Let us know if you have any issues with it. Right now it's showing "Downloading" and hasn't updated my mailbox in about an hour...

So I did some tweaking after I figured out I still left the Gmail Email on my phone and was getting duplicates. Now first test with just the exchange piece I get the email about 4 mins after it hits gmail on pc. I am going to do some more testing. If its with in 3-6 mins I am OK with that. At least I wont have to be checking my phone all the time to get email.

chaz

Chaztrip

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2014
West Des Moines
So I did some tweaking after I figured out I still left the Gmail Email on my phone and was getting duplicates. Now first test with just the exchange piece I get the email about 4 mins after it hits gmail on pc. I am going to do some more testing. If its with in 3-6 mins I am OK with that. At least I wont have to be checking my phone all the time to get email.

chaz

Actually now I am getting 20 seconds to a 1 minute.

rbf1138

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2007
Actually now I am getting 20 seconds to a 1 minute.

Yeah, when it's working it can work incredibly well. When it's not, it's annoying. The problem is that it's been really inconsistent as to when it works and when it doesn't.

scotty588

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I've been on premium Nuevasync for about a week now and I'm getting the same issue. Sometimes it works great with push notifications very quick (at the latest a minute or 2). Other times I won't get it at all.

I also noticed one time when I opened mail I had all these weird blank messages with strange dates from 1969. It cleared up after a while, but I contacted their support to report all these problems. They said they sometimes see these problems and think it is due to when an iOS device partially gets through a resync. They said they would pull the logs and look into it. I was looking at the scope section on the nuevasync site to see what changes are getting pushed and I have a bunch of 'sync' command messages that then say under details 'cancelled'. Not sure if this is normal, but I've sent a few follow up emails to their support and haven't heard back yet.

I'm also using the Gmail app for push notifications for another Gmail account I have. This is different than the one I am using for Nuevasync. For what it's worth the native Gmail app also has not been consistent is push notifications for new mail. Sometimes I get notified, other times I don't. I double checked my settings and push notifications are set to all mail.

Pretty frustrating when nothing works for new email push notifications.

ckisgen

macrumors member
Sep 16, 2014
I went ahead and pulled the trigger on Google Apps for Business so I could have push with the native mail app. Been loving it so far.

thiswillnotdo

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2010
Since returning to the Gmail app about a week to 10 days ago (after trying NeuvaSync free trial, CloudMagic, and many months ago the Gmail app), I have gotten every single push email notification. It has been great and a huge improvement over those other services.

No telling how long it will last. I hear deleting the Gmail app and downloading it again, or signing out and back in, will get push notifications working again for a while.

I'm intrigued by Google Apps for Business and might check that out.

TheAppleFairy

Suspended
Mar 28, 2013
The Clinton Archipelago unfortunately
I went ahead and pulled the trigger on Google Apps for Business so I could have push with the native mail app. Been loving it so far.

Wait what? lol I didn't know that was possible. I use google apps to host my open email. Is it one of the paid levels you use? I am going to have to check it out later. I still have push on my 4S, but next week I should have my iPhone 6 and will miss push.

scotty588

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Since returning to the Gmail app about a week to 10 days ago (after trying NeuvaSync free trial, CloudMagic, and many months ago the Gmail app), I have gotten every single push email notification. It has been great and a huge improvement over those other services.

No telling how long it will last. I hear deleting the Gmail app and downloading it again, or signing out and back in, will get push notifications working again for a while.

I'm intrigued by Google Apps for Business and might check that out.

The problem with Google Apps for Business is the Exchange support they offer is only for custom domains. It won't work on a regular Gmail account. I would gladly pay Google for Exchange support on my Gmail account.

I'll have to try re-installing the Gmail app again.

----------

Wait what? lol I didn't know that was possible. I use google apps to host my open email. Is it one of the paid levels you use? I am going to have to check it out later. I still have push on my 4S, but next week I should have my iPhone 6 and will miss push.

IIRC any of the 2 pay levels enable Exchange support for your custom domain.

rbf1138

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2007
I've been on premium Nuevasync for about a week now and I'm getting the same issue. Sometimes it works great with push notifications very quick (at the latest a minute or 2). Other times I won't get it at all.

I also noticed one time when I opened mail I had all these weird blank messages with strange dates from 1969. It cleared up after a while, but I contacted their support to report all these problems. They said they sometimes see these problems and think it is due to when an iOS device partially gets through a resync. They said they would pull the logs and look into it. I was looking at the scope section on the nuevasync site to see what changes are getting pushed and I have a bunch of 'sync' command messages that then say under details 'cancelled'. Not sure if this is normal, but I've sent a few follow up emails to their support and haven't heard back yet.

I'm also using the Gmail app for push notifications for another Gmail account I have. This is different than the one I am using for Nuevasync. For what it's worth the native Gmail app also has not been consistent is push notifications for new mail. Sometimes I get notified, other times I don't. I double checked my settings and push notifications are set to all mail.

Pretty frustrating when nothing works for new email push notifications.

Pretty much the same experience here. Works 80-90% of the time great, but I've had that 1969 issue where it has to re-sync all of my mail and gets hung up until I turn that account off and back on in mail settings.

It would be great if Google would just let users pay the $50 a year to get the same Push ability that they have for the Apps account but without having to use a custom domain.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
I use Nuevasync. It's a $30/yr service that will pull your Gmail via IMAP and push to your phone via Exchange/Activesync, giving you full push capability.

The Gmail account is configured via iOS's Exchange account so it works perfectly with the stock native email app and all other apps/services on the device.

I've been very happy with it.

Yes, it does require you give up your credentials to a 3rd party company, but I use two-factor authorization and an app specific password, so I can revoke access any time I need to.

http://www.nuevasync.com
(I have no relation to the company other than being a satisfied customer)

rbf1138

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2007
I understand...but why not spend the extra $10-12 per year and get an email address that no one can take away from you? That was my thinking 12 years ago.

I have that, too. myname@myname.com, actually. But many, many people, especially those in my social and work circles, use gmail and are accustomed to using gmail and being given gmail addresses. I like the idea of shifting to a different domain but really my myname@gmail.com is where my whole "digital" life lives, at least right now.

----------

I use Nuevasync. It's a $30/yr service that will pull your Gmail via IMAP and push to your phone via Exchange/Activesync, giving you full push capability.

The Gmail account is configured via iOS's Exchange account so it works perfectly with the stock native email app and all other apps/services on the device.

I've been very happy with it.

Yes, it does require you give up your credentials to a 3rd party company, but I use two-factor authorization and an app specific password, so I can revoke access any time I need to.

http://www.nuevasync.com
(I have no relation to the company other than being a satisfied customer)

Half of this entire thread is about Nuevasync. Do you not have the same problems as myself and a few others where syncing and push will get messed up once every few days, the mailbox rebuilds but gets hung-up, shows blank emails with weird dates like 1969, etc.?

scotty588

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
Nuevasync support emailed me back and said they analyzed the log, but haven't seen anything to explain the erratic push. They said an engineer will watch the scope today and if I see a push failure to email them so they can check it out immediately. So far, it's been fine today of course.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I am sure this has been mentioned, but just create an icloud email, forward your gmail. That is what I do when I am using an iphone. Then I just turn off forwarding when I am using an Android phone.

rbf1138

macrumors 6502a
Dec 22, 2007
I am sure this has been mentioned, but just create an icloud email, forward your gmail. That is what I do when I am using an iphone. Then I just turn off forwarding when I am using an Android phone.

Apparently this is not a great method if you use Gmail on the web heavily, as I do.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
Apparently this is not a great method if you use Gmail on the web heavily, as I do.

You can chose how gmail handles the forwarded email (keep in your inbox, mark as read and archive, etc.). I don't really know what it would interfere with :)

scotty588

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
The forwarding method means you will only have new messages in your inbox. Old messages will still remain in the Gmail account. So if I want to search for an old email I'll have to use the Gmail app or add it as imap in mail.app and do it that way. Not too much of an inconvenience, but just want it to be how it was before! 1 inbox with push that worked perfectly.

I would suggest anyone that wants Exchange support back in Gmail to let Google know. If you open up Gmail, click the cog in the top right corner, click help, then select the "send feedback" link and let them know you would be willing to pay for Exchange support in Gmail. I left them feedback and also linked to this thread.

xraydoc

Contributor
Oct 9, 2005
Half of this entire thread is about Nuevasync. Do you not have the same problems as myself and a few others where syncing and push will get messed up once every few days, the mailbox rebuilds but gets hung-up, shows blank emails with weird dates like 1969, etc.?

Nope. Not thus far.

dcpmark

macrumors 65816
Oct 20, 2009
I've tried Nuevasync, Mailbox, and the Gmail app.....here are my experiences.

Nuevasync works as advertised, and since you keep your Mail app it's the easiest to use. The downside is that you have to have a separate account for EACH email address you have, and pay $30/yr for each email address you want push for. I have 7 email addresses, and want push email on 3 of them. It would be nice if they were able to process multiple emails for one Nuevasync account, and give you a MAJOR discount for multiple email accounts. Customer Service (very prompt responses) said their system was not set up for that.

Mailbox is free, works as advertised for push email for as many accounts as you want, and has some great extra features like Snoozing emails. The downside for me was that it only handles Gmail and iCloud accounts, and that you can't forward an email from a different account than the one that received it. Many of you may not care about this last one, but it's a big deal for me. Also, if you turn off your email address in the Mail app so you don't get email (and notifications) to both apps, that email address will be unavailable when needed by Safari.

The Gmail app works just fine for pushing gmail email accounts, but won't handle non-gmail accounts and does not have a unified Inbox. WTF. The last point is a deal-breaker for me.

For now I'm sticking with a combo of Mailbox and the Mail app. I have my 3 push gmail accounts using Mailbox, and I turned off all notifications for those 3 accounts in the Mail app. All my other accounts will just use the Mail app for everything. If I need to forward an email with a different email address I just open it up in Mail and forward it from there.

l3uddz

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2014
I just did away with gmail for the time being (signed up for outlook and added that as an alternate email to my gmail account so i can now login to gmail/youtube/playstore using my outlook which just uses my gmail), i use outlook for all important stuff that i need to know asap when i receive a new mail and have gmail set to fetch every hour as its not important i get those mails the second they arrive. something to consider. and yeah would be great if gmail would charge a fee to enable activesync for the year on a gmail acct

scotty588

macrumors 6502
Jan 2, 2007
Los Angeles, CA
I really want Nuevasync to work, but it's not really getting any better. Luckily their support is very quick to answer. I opened up mail on my iPhone today and it re-downloaded all the messages in my inbox. This happened twice today so far. Reported it to them and they responded instantly that they would look in the logs.

WolfSnap

macrumors 65816
Sep 18, 2012
SoCal
Nuevasync is absolutely the best service out there to sync your Gmail with your iPhone. I routinely get faster notifications on my iPhone than I get on my desktop mail client which talks directly to Google. I've used Nuevasync for years, they consistently have a great service, are fast to respond to issues, and provide lightning fast notifications. I can't imagine a better service.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.