Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AAPLaday

Aug 6, 2008
Manchester UK

ChazUK

macrumors 603
Feb 3, 2008
Essex (UK)
Cool. Are you already set up on there? When did you manage to get it done?

I've had an account for 4 days (I got in when the invites were opened). I did manage to get some friends on with the "share" feature so I'm not totally alone at least. :)

It's handy getting unlimited storage with Picasa when you have a plus account. That and the auto upload of pics to my picasa account (only viewable by me) is nice.

AAPLaday

Aug 6, 2008
Manchester UK
I've had an account for 4 days (I got in when the invites were opened). I did manage to get some friends on with the "share" feature so I'm not totally alone at least. :)

It's handy getting unlimited storage with Picasa when you have a plus account. That and the auto upload of pics to my picasa account (only viewable by me) is nice.

The Picasa backup looks good to me as well. I have been looking at online photo storage for a few weeks now. Dropbox is too expensive for little storage and Photobucket and Flickr are more expensive than Picasa too. Im either going to use this or Skydrive.

SXR

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2007
Netherlands
I see a lot of you being skeptical about Google Plus being the next Google Buzz. One thing is different though , Plus has gotten a lot of positive feedback thus far. I'm happy I got my invite to do a review for keepthatapp.com , but it's sort of worthless if practically no-one I know has it...

I want to test Hang-out, but with who?

When will they go public with this?

cleanup

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2005
Toronto
So far, the interface itself looks great. Streamlined, simplified.

But I was invited right before capacity was reached. So I literally have only a couple people in my friends list and I'm unable to invite more. So in reality, I have no idea how well the thing works. :eek: It's a shame that I basically just want my entire Facebook account to migrate over seamlessly, including all of my friends, photos, etc. That's how ingrained Facebook has sadly become.

clientsiman

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2009
Crete,Greece

But I was invited right before capacity was reached. So I literally have only a couple people in my friends list and I'm unable to invite more. So in reality, I have no idea how well the thing works. :eek: It's a shame that I basically just want my entire Facebook account to migrate over seamlessly, including all of my friends, photos, etc. That's how ingrained Facebook has sadly become.

I got the same problem. Just 2 friends. The interface look really good. I think google got it right.

AAPLaday

Aug 6, 2008
Manchester UK
Latest rumour points to a 31st July public launch. And the renaming of Picasa to Google Photos and Blogger to Google Blogs to help them tie in with Google+

benhollberg

macrumors 68020
Mar 8, 2010
Its still in the limited trial period, only a few have managed to sign up. I meant fully open to anyone who wants to join. Hoping it is 31st so the invite only thing doesn't drag on for ages like Gmail did.

For the last two days it has gone open for about fifteen minutes a day. Just all luck to see if you check at the right time.

ender land

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2010
I see a lot of you being skeptical about Google Plus being the next Google Buzz. One thing is different though , Plus has gotten a lot of positive feedback thus far. I'm happy I got my invite to do a review for keepthatapp.com , but it's sort of worthless if practically no-one I know has it...

I want to test Hang-out, but with who?

When will they go public with this?

THis is my thought too.

I like it. But a social networking thing is pointless if I only have 15 people I know on there....

I've yet to use hangout too :(

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada

^ THAT my friend could be the killer to FaceBook. IF Google+ allows for some kind of import (by typing in your facebook credentials), and just before it begins ... posts on your wall and messages with invites to ALL your friends (with ability to create their own gmail accounts if none has previously been made by them) ... this could just do it.

Imagine the massive exodus from FaceBook beginning with Wall Posts, then massive invites via private messages or an official add-in to start easy migration?! And to top it off with private fully enabled by default THEN you create your friends with that list.

swedefish

macrumors 6502
Feb 12, 2008

I am probably different from everyone else when it comes to this but I absolutely do not want everyone from Facebook to join Google+. Facebook has become so tacky and bloated and I know many people including myself only stay around because leaving will be the equivalent of dying in the eyes of many of my "friends" there. I know so may people who do not use email and only communicate using Facebook and these are usually the same people who love sharing every irrelevant detail about their daily business in their Facebook statuses. What I love about Google+ is its emailesque qualities, namely that you have to choose actively who you share your information with.

Also, does anyone know if invites/loophole are working again?

Moyank24

macrumors 601
Aug 31, 2009
in a New York State of mind

I'm with you there, in that the friends I've invited have had difficulties creating accounts. It looks great, but until I can get more friends aboard, it's hard to tell how much of a part of my daily routine it will become.

I am probably different from everyone else when it comes to this but I absolutely do not want everyone from Facebook to join Google+. Facebook has become so tacky and bloated and I know many people including myself only stay around because leaving will be the equivalent of dying in the eyes of many of my "friends" there. I know so may people who do not use email and only communicate using Facebook and these are usually the same people who love sharing every irrelevant detail about their daily business in their Facebook statuses. What I love about Google+ is its emailesque qualities, namely that you have to choose actively who you share your information with.

Also, does anyone know if invites/loophole are working again?

I agree with you. It seems like over the years Facebook has become too much. So many people I know are in a race to have as many "friends" as possible. In the beginning it was cool to connect with old friends from school and my sorority, etc...but now, every Tom, Dick, and Harry you meet want you to friend them. I don't care to know the daily minutiae of the life of the bartender I met last night, or the woman I'm sitting next to at a concert. I like the idea of social circles, but only time will tell how it will play out.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
I'm gonna join

But only because all my relatives found my FB page and I now have to watch what I say

Yeah I got into Google Plus today and slowly figuring it out. I like the privacy settings on it and it is a hell of a lot easier to control.
Facebook kind of has it with profile settings and grouping friends but no were as good as the circle set up and it was bolted on way to late because lets be honest here most of us are way WAY to lazy to go back and set everything up for it. That and it is a pain in the but to do on facebook so everyone is just in my friends category.

Google plus I think it really well done but its biggest draw back I see is it is going to be a little tricky for people like my parents and grandparents to pick up on as it is has a lot of choices and setting and would be over whelming to someone not as technically inclined.
Better setting and more choices I really like it.

Brocksby

macrumors newbie
Jul 4, 2011
New York, USA
I have tried to be member of Google plus but denied as it is launched on trial basis. I think this will be successful more than facebook as it has more options available than facebook.

ender land

macrumors 6502a
Oct 26, 2010
^ THAT my friend could be the killer to FaceBook. IF Google+ allows for some kind of import (by typing in your facebook credentials), and just before it begins ... posts on your wall and messages with invites to ALL your friends (with ability to create their own gmail accounts if none has previously been made by them) ... this could just do it.

Imagine the massive exodus from FaceBook beginning with Wall Posts, then massive invites via private messages or an official add-in to start easy migration?! And to top it off with private fully enabled by default THEN you create your friends with that list.

We can only hope :cool:

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
please please please could someone send me an invite i want to see what all the hype is about it will be very much appreciated :D

Thanks guys

They've closed the invitations for the time being, so even if you got an invite you cannot log in.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Given the depth and breadth of personal information on the net now, I don't see it as an issue.

What depth of personal information ? The web only knows what you let it know (or what your stupid friends know and post about you, hence why I keep my stuff private even from them).

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
What depth of personal information ? The web only knows what you let it know (or what your stupid friends know and post about you, hence why I keep my stuff private even from them).

Avoiding online surveys/forms will only help so much. Unless you avoid filling all types of paperwork such as for banks, credit cards, stores, etc. Your personal information starts making its way out on the net.

Daffodil

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
In a sunny state of mind
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.