Google Preparing 'Android TV' Set-Top Box with Native Apps, Simple Interface, Voice Search

jkichline

macrumors 6502
Aug 25, 2010
And at least...

Lol, and who would you have run the company besides the person the Steve hand picked?
And at least Tim Cook knows how to use whole words, punctuation and capital letters too! :) These trolls really need to go back and repeat middle school.

----------

Apple last to the party again.
Sigh.
One a leader and now it can't even play catchup.

Why wait?
It is obvious Apple has nothing left in its bag of tricks when it cannot even pull off the most incremental updates to its product lines.
Google hasn't even released this, and when they tried last time, failed miserably. Remember Google TV? Wow, you fandroids really lack memory.

Here are facts...

1) AppleTV is trouncing all other streaming boxes except maybe Roku.
2) Google have YET to ship anything and probably won't for months. Well aside from their other failed attempts.
3) Apple isn't going to release something this close to WWDC, especially if they need to get devs to work on things.
4) Apple will ship the day they announce it... or the preceding Friday.

You see, Apple releases a product when it's READY, unlike your precious Google who, after three attempts, will probably still fail to gain any meaningful foothold in this market... aside from your mom's basement.

Last edited:

BvizioN

macrumors 601
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
Why have all the tech companies all the sudden started this TV Box thing? Why can't this box be integrated in the TV unit itself?

----------

Meanwhile, Apple's 5 inch iPhone will be "revolutionary"
If iPhone 6 will be revolutionary it won't be because of the screen size. But am sure Apple haters will try and spin it their own way..... like "It's just the iPhone 5/5S with a larger screen"

peterdevries

macrumors 68040
Feb 22, 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Sigh.
Apple was one of the first to release a separate set top box. It was well ahead of the curve. Others are now catching up, and it is very likely that Apple will introduce its updated version very soon, as the article says in April.

So, what's your problem? Is it really that important to you that you can't say "Apple was the first one with games on its STB"?

Also, think a bit further. Adding games is a no-brainer for Apple and they could have done so a long time ago. It will come, but from an INNOVATION (I know everyone likes that word) and strategic planning perspective it would make sense to bundle that with another more disruptive innovation, which would be a wide integration with TV and film content producers. It would make it much harder for competitors to beat and would increase the attractiveness of the product immensely.

If Apple releases a new version tomorrow with only games added, than 80% of people here will whine that it is not "innovative" enough and that we need more. If Apple doesn't provide what you want, and it seems behind Google or others then why don't you jump on their products?

BvizioN

macrumors 601
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
I'm glad all these set top boxes are coming out before the next AppleTV update. That way Apple can see what's missing from everyone and make the AppleTV even better. :)
People don't get it. This is precisely what Apple does and it always have done. They let their competition parade with all these fancy smartwatches/TV boxes and when they have had their 15 minutes of fame, Apple strikes, sending the competition back to the drawing board!! Example: MP3 players existed before iPod, smartphones existed before iPhone, some forms of tablet existed before iPad! Apple have never really been the first on any of these games.

hagar

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2008
At least it looks better than the horrible and dated ATV GUI. And it seems to offer better functionality as well.

AndreSt

macrumors member
Mar 4, 2014
Here in Switzerland the telco provider Swisscom has just released an Android based set top box for their nationwide IPTV service:

http://tv2.swisscom.ch/en

It's the successor of the older Microsoft based platform. Of course it would be interesting to see a broadcast TV service on Apple TV. But I suspect we won't see such a feature unless the internet providers will support it. Basically you need multicast support to handle the resulting traffic appropriately.

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Voice control, apps and simple UI are all a bit pointless. people want to type on the thing they know (mobile phone touchscreen) not talk.
Until Apple does it? Is Siri pointless?

I would be extremely surprised if Apple didn't include siri in some capacity...

----------

People don't get it. This is precisely what Apple does and it always have done. They let their competition parade with all these fancy smartwatches/TV boxes and when they have had their 15 minutes of fame, Apple strikes, sending the competition back to the drawing board!! Example: MP3 players existed before iPod, smartphones existed before iPhone, some forms of tablet existed before iPad! Apple have never really been the first on any of these games.
The problem is that we're almost exactly 4 years since the release of the iPad and they haven't brought a product to market which has the same qualities as the iPad, iPhone or iPod. I'm not convinced they can do it again.

BvizioN

macrumors 601
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
The problem is that we're almost exactly 4 years since the release of the iPad and they haven't brought a product to market which has the same qualities as the iPad, iPhone or iPod. I'm not convinced they can do it again.
There was 6 years gap between first iPod and the first iPhone. Great products take long time to be created and good companies don't rush on the game.

My Name is URL

Suspended
Nov 18, 2013
UK
I'd hate you see your spouse.... :D

Design is important and Apple built an empire based on it.

Google can do pretty good design when it focuses on it, as it did with Android 4.1 and above.

I am excited about all of these coming out, as I am frustrated with Apple TV, yet it is currently the best there is, IMO.

The Comcast integration, if true, will make me jump to Google.

Keep in mind that these things are all part of ecosystems and can influence future mobile devices buying decisions.
When it comes to TV I disagree. I want to spend time actually watching the content I want rather than staring at the interface. But that's just me.

gkpm

macrumors 6502
Jul 15, 2010
Google just can't resist it, they had to copy, it's in their DNA.

----------

Good, more competition is great for consumers. This is truly a golden era for consumer tech.
Not when it's not leading to better services. All we get is a ton of rather dumb boxes full of electronics.

Dave.UK

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2012
Kent, UK
They didn't copy anyone else's watch. But I do think they were obsessed with releasing something before Apple or Google did so the media could say they beat them to the punch. It's pretty obvious it was rushed to market as less than 6 months later they updated it with completely different software.
Wasnt the iPad 4 released about 6 months after the iPad 3?

peterdevries

macrumors 68040
Feb 22, 2008
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
How do you think these kinds of things work? Do you think Apple and other companies can just pull new products out of a hat?

There needs to be a market need, and technology should be able to address that need. What kind of product would you like to see? I have the impression you (and many others) are just asking for something "new" without having any idea what you would like to see or have.

The whole iPod, iPhone and iPad lines were all logical progressions from one another. There is not really anywhere to go with these lines that is truly disruptive. That is the reason why Apple and many other producers are differentiating into e.g. wearables.

Not saying that it is you, so don't see this as an attack, but many people do not have any idea of how innovation works and what is needed to bring a product to market.

ghost of jobs

macrumors regular
Apr 4, 2014
Google and Simple Interface don't go in the same sentence together.
Mmm.. Cos the Google home page is really complicated ain't it..

----------

iPad Mini looks nothing like the Kindle Fire or Nexus 7. Do you honestly think Apple designed the iPad Mini(1st gen) in just 1 month after the Nexus 7 came out?
No but they saw the smaller galaxy tabs were doing well and wanted some of that action....followers these days.. not leaders... Next..

BvizioN

macrumors 601
Mar 16, 2012
Manchester, UK
No but they saw the smaller galaxy tabs were doing well and wanted some of that action....followers these days.. not leaders... Next..
Of course. They are copying Galaxy Gear into iWatch right now as we speak!! They saw what Samsung did with the galaxy gear and now Apple want's some of that action! :rolleyes:

AppleP59

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2014
My mother and my dog are gearing up to release a new Android TV set-top media box that utilizes a simple card interface with native apps and games, voice search, and a proactive recommendation system.
mymotherandmydogRumours.com ..?

Tech198

macrumors G5
Mar 21, 2011
Australia, Perth
i have heaps of Apple stuff.. so i stay...

This all looks good, but now we all have a wide choice of set-top boxes..

Every man and his dog is entering this space. It's a crowded space ... :D

Looks like a Windows 8 phone experience with the titles, or a cross between Windows 8 with googly features

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2011
With completely different software? The reason I say Galaxy Gear was rushed to market is less than 6 months later it gets a complete redesign, no longer runs Android and Galaxy is removed from the name.

TechGod

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2014
New Zealand
Sigh.

----------

Why wait?
It is obvious Apple has nothing left in its bag of tricks when it cannot even pull off the most incremental updates to its product lines.

Enough said.
What the hell dude? Apple upgrades happen during the holidays. Your argument just fails right about here.

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
Pretty bad comparison. The main new feature of the 3 was the high-res screen, which no other company had dreamed of at that time. And the main reason they released the 4 so soon was the switch to Lightning connector. And possibly timing so that phone and tablet would be released together in the future, simplifying their OS release timetable.

----------

The documents note that while Android powers the box's experience, the interface offers a series of "cards" representing different channel options, including movies, shows, apps, and games. Users will be able to scroll through the interface with a four-way directional pad that contains Enter, Home, and Back buttons, with the set-top box reportedly featuring optional game controllers.
"Access to content should be simple and magical," reads one Google document, which adds that it should never take more than three clicks or gestures to go from the homescreen to enjoying a new piece of content.
Am I the only one to see a contradiction here? How on earth can you have a basic scrolling-card UI and still take only 3 clicks to find something? Maybe if you only have 2 channels.

Dave.UK

macrumors 65816
Sep 24, 2012
Kent, UK
With completely different software? The reason I say Galaxy Gear was rushed to market is less than 6 months later it gets a complete redesign, no longer runs Android and Galaxy is removed from the name.
Dosent really matter whether its hardware or software - the iPad 4 was still released roughly 6 months after the iPad 3. I think the response on here was "Your iPad 3 will still work, so stop moaning". Likewise, the original Galaxy Gear still works.

----------

Pretty bad comparison. The main new feature of the 3 was the high-res screen, which no other company had dreamed of at that time. And the main reason they released the 4 so soon was the switch to Lightning connector. And possibly timing so that phone and tablet would be released together in the future, simplifying their OS release timetable.
So what your saying is, its ok for Apple to have quick turn arounds, but not other manufacturers.

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2011
Some one hates choice for the consumer.

----------

But it does look incredible.
Not to me it doesn't. And I keep hearing about how consumers want choice, yet it's two companies - Apple and Samsung - and two operating systems - iOS and Android - dominating the mobile phone/tablet space. When it comes to PC's it's one company dominating - Microsoft. And I'll bet if you took a poll of iOS users here a large number would say they use Google services exclusively on their iOS devices. To me choice is overrated.

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/report-on-business/small-business/sb-marketing/tampon-trip-proves-choice-can-be-bad/article626575/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Paradox_of_Choice:_Why_More_Is_Less

http://blogs.hbr.org/2012/05/customers-arent-as-savvy-as-yo/

I think consumers would prefer fewer options that were better, than more options that are all basically the same. In my twitter feed someone said they don't need another box, they need the one they have to provide the content choices they want, the way they want to pay for it. Benedict Evans tweeted a graph that also illustrates the problem with TV:

As I've said before, I hope we haven't seen a new ATV yet because Apple has something up its sleeve on the content side. If all we get from them is basically what Amazon announced then I don't see that as really moving the ball forward.