Google Preparing 'Android TV' Set-Top Box with Native Apps, Simple Interface, Voice Search

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
Based on it's not shipping anytime soon, but it was leaked to the press right after the Amazon Fire TV was announced.

Very similar tactic to what Microsoft does in similar situations...
You're implying its not even in development (that they started development because of Amazon) - which is ridiculous given product development pipelines.

I don't doubt it was timed for the release of the Amazon announcement...

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2011
Funny, you seem to mock a factual point I made. I bet you have an Apple TV right?

Perhaps you would have preferred if I stated people under the Apple Reality Distortion Field instead?
Maybe if you hadn't thrown in the "blindly loyal to Apple" line. As if no one is "blindly loyal" to any other company. :rolleyes:

----------

I would have Jack Tretton run it, now he's left Sony Playstation.
Why? You think Steve Jobs made the wrong choice? Then why not have the board fire the entire executive team while you're at it. Why just pick on a Cook?

sohelpme

macrumors member
Jan 31, 2009
You're implying its not even in development (that they started development because of Amazon) - which is ridiculous given product development pipelines.

I don't doubt it was timed for the release of the Amazon announcement...
How exactly did I imply they haven't been doing any product development with tv settop boxes when I've repeatedly mentioned the multiple previous devices they have created? Obviously they've been working on it. But this particular leak is straight-up FUD, to try to get consumers to wait for them to actually develop it.

I'll bet they'll pull the other Microsoft-move of announcing and demo'ing a fabulous product, shipping 3 months earlier than they should, and then spending the 3-6 months immediately after launch making it actually do what they demo'd relatively bug-free.

alexgowers

macrumors 65816
Jun 3, 2012
Google doesn't ever seem to learn from it's mistakes!

I don't get how such a huge company has so many many failures and poor products and here there are with a new one! really a tv box... again...

Google need to understand that the apple TV kinda works, i frees your iPad and iPhone videos to the TV and lets you build a collection of movies etc on your apple tv that you can watch again and again.

Voice control, apps and simple UI are all a bit pointless. people want to type on the thing they know (mobile phone touchscreen) not talk. Apps work best when the content isn't shared with everyone in the room and you need the best interaction and control over them to make em work (apple just don't do apps because of this on the apple tv).

UI should be so simple you don't even realise you are using a smart tv. no one has got that right yet, there is too much content and no way to cut through it all and avoid having to mine for the good stuff.

This will go the way of all other top boxes for now.

The only important thing for these products is can it play video off my device. does it have bbd iplayer (insert local tv catchup services), youtube, netflix. Turn on in an instant, have a shop to buy everything like movies etc. can it connect to my computer.

There is not much more to add right now until networks give up control, we are still going to be at a tipping point for these devices to really shine.

It should be sky or virgin media or who ever you get tv from has a panel on your device and you can stream tv to it instead of a schedule and it can time shift any content on the system providing ads based on what you've paid a month.

Oh well we can dream on.

apolloa

macrumors G5
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Maybe if you hadn't thrown in the "blindly loyal to Apple" line. As if no one is "blindly loyal" to any other company. :rolleyes:
Well, it may be a very hard concept for you to grasp, but funnily enough many people are capable of not being brand loyal. Don't know why you can't grasp that?

Why? You think Steve Jobs made the wrong choice? Then why not have the board fire the entire executive team while you're at it. Why just pick on a Cook?
And now because you are not capable of providing a sensible response, you resort to total over reaction. Classy. Shame you didn't read the comment I responded to, then you wouldn't have replied to me thus making no sense at all.

As you are not in the mood to read things properly here let me help you ;)

Lol, and who would you have run the company besides the person the Steve hand picked?
And I replied:

I would have Jack Tretton run it, now he's left Sony Playstation.

WOW! Look at that, my comment made sense, yours did not and was just a flaimbait reply. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

kuwxman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2009
Olathe, KS
Interesting how all these tv products are coming out now. I guess Apple TV was a little ahead of its time.
You realize Google has already had a set top box out, right? The Google TV (Logitech Revue) came out around the same time as the second gen Apple TV in 2010.

AppleHater

macrumors 6502a
Jun 9, 2010
With new AppleTV, Amazon Fire TV and now Google Android TV, consoles will be in grave danger of extinction. It's an awesome news for consumers, except I don't know how I'm going to manage my contents that are spread all over different platforms.

mclld

macrumors 68020
Nov 6, 2012
With new AppleTV, Amazon Fire TV and now Google Android TV, consoles will be in grave danger of extinction.

Not a chance. I like mobile games but there is a big difference between those and console games.

Last edited:

Rogifan

macrumors Core
Nov 14, 2011
Anybody who thinks that Samsung copied the Apple watch has pretty low expectations for the Apple watch.
They didn't copy anyone else's watch. But I do think they were obsessed with releasing something before Apple or Google did so the media could say they beat them to the punch. It's pretty obvious it was rushed to market as less than 6 months later they updated it with completely different software.

Todd B.

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2013
lol Google.

Stop trying, you fail at everything that isn't search....

With new AppleTV, Amazon Fire TV and now Google Android TV, consoles will be in grave danger of extinction. It's an awesome news for consumers, except I don't know how I'm going to manage my contents that are spread all over different platforms.
Only if you think the only point of a console is to play Flappy Bird or Angry Birds.....

Suspect based on what? The fact that they are designed for two completely different types of devices? :rolleyes:
So the fact that they've been trying to market Chrome "for everything" for how many years now only to come out and say, nope, forget all that... it's Android TV now.

They are designed for two different devices, how?

DeeGee48

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2007
Havertown, Pa
Oh, not again!

You know, this stuff is really getting BORING. Apple introduces the original Apple TV years ago, defines the interface, and then EVERYBODY jumps on the bandwagon! I really hope that the next iteration of the Apple TV (soon!) does some REALLY NEW REVOLUTIONARY thing(s) THAT BLOWS 'EM ALL OUT OF THE WATER! You go, Tim! :apple:

macfacts

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2012
Cybertron
iPad Mini looks nothing like the Kindle Fire or Nexus 7. Do you honestly think Apple designed the iPad Mini(1st gen) in just 1 month after the Nexus 7 came out?
Nexus 7 came out july 13, 2012 (advertised/announced june 27)
iPad mini came out november 2, 2012

That is about 4 months between the two.

And the Kindle fire was out in November 2011.

Edit: here is an internal Apple email that was disclosed during the previous Apple vs Samsung trial. It shows that a top executive at Apple used the Samsung 7" Galaxy Tablet and decided to copy it and make the ipad mini.

Last edited:

tmanto02

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2011
Australia
I really like it and the potential looks promising.

However I know that the new Apple TVs integration with Apple devices will be to good to pass up.

smoledman

macrumors 68000
Oct 17, 2011
Good, more competition is great for consumers. This is truly a golden era for consumer tech.