Group Texts Gone Wild

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by willmtaylor, Jun 28, 2016.

1. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Lately, since the last update I believe, several of my group text message conversations behave very oddly. It seems that almost every time someone responds, my iPhone 6 receives it and starts a new conversation thread. It's the same people talking about the same topic, but each time someone responds, a new thread is created on my phone.

Anyone else been having this issue?

2. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

If it's SMS, it won't group the text messages and will always create a new conversation thread, or it will update an existing 1-to-1 SMS conversation with the person who replied.

If it's iMessage, check the sender details. Occasionally it may be sending from their Apple email rather than telephone number, so your iPhone will detect it as being different and then create a new thread.

It may be worth checking your iMessage settings as well, to ensure that you're not sending from multiple accounts. Is it just on your phone?

3. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

MMS does group texting. You don't need iMessage for that, which is what I assume OP is talking about.

4. keysofanxiety macrumors 604

keysofanxiety

Thanks for the heads-up. I wasn't aware of the situation with MMS as everybody I know uses an iPhone.

5. akash.nu macrumors 68000

akash.nu

It really depends on the settings on others phones as well. If people have changed their numbers or their primary contact details under iMessage then this may happen. The SMS use case is true as well.

6. willmtaylor thread starter macrumors G3

willmtaylor

It's an MMS (a mixture of iOS and non-iOS users). I've been doing such MMS since I got my first iPhone (an iPhone 5), but only recently has this behavior surfaced.

I was wondering if it was happening to others recently as well to see if it's isolated issue or more widespread one.

7. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

I can't comment on that because I stopped using standard texting 5 years ago and switched to Google Voice. I'm sure you've already tried rebooting. Maybe try resetting network settings. It'll erase all of your saved Wi-Fi passwords, but it's worth a shot if you remember all the Wi-Fi passwords you need.

8. willmtaylor thread starter macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Yeah, I appreciate the feedback. I was hoping to find out that it was a more widespread iOS bug/issue and wanting to avoid resetting the phone or settings. I talked to a friend locally who is also in on that thread, and he said that it does the same thing to him (and only started recently).

I would suggest a new conversation thread for the MMS, but since it has some old farts on it who are borderline luddites, I'm not sure it's feasible. :cool:

9. Channan macrumors 68030

Channan

Well it wouldn't reset the phone. The only thing you'd lose is your saved Wi-Fi passwords, but if your friend is also having that problem, it's probably not an issue with your phone.

10. iphonedude2008 macrumors 65816

iphonedude2008

I have had a similar issue with iMessage conversations, but never with mms. OP I was hoping this thread was going to be more 'interesting' from that title ;)

11. GrumpyMom macrumors 601

GrumpyMom

My daughter was complaining yesterday about something that sounds like this issue. She thought her friends were the ones instigating the new threads with the same group list. My husband and I shrugged it off as tweens doing something goofy, but perhaps that's not the case after all. I'll have my husband look into it when he gets a chance. He's the tech guru in the family. Thanks for posting about this.

12. willmtaylor thread starter macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Thanks for replying. It happened to a different mixed MMS conversation today.

13. GrumpyMom macrumors 601

GrumpyMom

I think my daughter's friends are all on iMessage and that this is happening with IMessage but I'll check on that, too.

14. GrumpyMom macrumors 601

GrumpyMom

We checked into it. It's not a glitch for us. The kids were just being wacky. One of the older girls got fed up and put a stop to it and now they are all back on the same thread.

15. willmtaylor thread starter macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Haha ok. Something to look forward to when my little one gets that age.

Will keep investigating my issues. Thanks anyway.

16. GrumpyMom macrumors 601

GrumpyMom

Yeah, sorry I couldn't help. Be aware kids love poop emojis.

17. willmtaylor thread starter macrumors G3

willmtaylor

That's alright. If that's the extent of my worries, we're doing ok. ;-)