Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

sulpfiction

macrumors 68040
Aug 16, 2011
Philadelphia Area
Still betting this is all a red herring. Apple is using old prototype parts, molds, enclosures, etc and is "leaking" them out. Tim Cook's stepped up security is misinformation.

Doesn't the above statement contadict itself? Or am I reading it wrong?
If this alledged design is a deliberate leak to fool everyone, and not a single part has leaked out from the "real" iPhone, I'd say TC has stepped up security big time.

On the other hand, if this is the real iPhone I cannot see Apple just letting all these perfect photos and videos float around the internet. Its going to make for one interesting announcement come fall. I'm already getting excited.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
I like the new design, with the black bar at the top and bottom. At least you can tell if someone has an iPhone 5.

+1. This is, after all, the most important thing.

I certainly wouldn't want my friends thinking I was using last years iPhone. Or worse, some tasteless Samsung knock-off.

Gemütlichkeit

macrumors 65816
Nov 17, 2010
Bummed, however I'm not going to freak out about it like most on here. It's surprising they went this route. there's more seams, more pieces in the case than before. very unlike apple these days.

i'll most likely stick with the 4 and just get a new battery in the next year or so

snowcrash

macrumors regular
May 30, 2011
Boston MA, USA
I actually like the design, a lot, and the two tone back. I never liked the glass back of the 4/4S. First thing I usually do with a phone anyway is drop on a custom gelaskins and bumper/case anyway so honestly the "look" of the phone doesn't really matter to me.

Not really feeling the longer screen but that's probably because I've been looking at the same size screen since the first iPhone so it just looks awkward. Don't see much of a benefit for me with the taller screen. I'd rather have wider for what I use the iPhone for but it seems that there are some people who are looking fwd to it, watch enough video content to enjoy 16x9 and all that, just not me. Not saying that if I was to wake up tomorrow and my current 4S magically grew into that size that I would say "this stinks!!!" it would be great to have more screen area. For me though it's not going to get me to switch from a perfectly awesome 4S.

This may be the first iPhone I don't pre-order. I kind of regret jumping from the 4 to the 4S, but my 4 was a bit banged up and the thought of Siri was cool so I made the jump. I feel that for the amount of times I use Siri (and it's a bunch) that it wasn't worth the extra $$ spent over the 4. To me this is giving me that same feeling that I will have buyers remorse if I jump on it, esp when I really love my current phone. Works with all my current cables, docks, chargers, etc etc. Yeah I know that this will probably have a dongle or adapter or whatever if this smaller connector is true but that's kind of a pain in the butt.

Who knows they may pull out something that they are holding back in iOS6 or this is a controlled leak that will get me to eat my words and I'll be up and 3am hitting refresh on Apple Store trying to order it!!! Haha

Love Juice

macrumors regular
Jun 2, 2008
So much for cracking down on security. Tim's about to look like the biggest loser in Apple history, coming up with a crappy iPhone and not just failing to crack down on leaks, but having the biggest leak ever.

Tim fails hard this time. Wouldn't be surprised to see him in the news with a bullet in his brain.

On the other hand, if this IS fake, huge credit to Tim. He goes down as the greatest genius ever, which I really hope will happen. But I strongly doubt it...this is the new iPhone guys. :(
Riiiiiiiiight, Tim and Tim alone chose this design. Mr. Jobs had absolutely nothing to do w/ the design at all :rolls eyes:

RichBoi99

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2011
Florida-904
Some of u guys/gals are funny, what more do want out of a phone design, you can only redesign a phone so many times before it starts lookin like another phone from another designer, it's a flat piece of hardware with a touch screen now tell how many great designs can u get out of it and still keep a minimum form factor thats suitable and comfy . The iPhone 4/4s has the best design hands down on any Phone/PDA/Pmp, there is no beating that design. In my opinion, I think they are trying to keep the same form just tweak it with new materials. Besides once this thing comes out everyone gonna talk about the 7th gen iPhone , now let's see that thing.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
I've had each iteration of the iPhone and this will be the first that I will want to cover with a case. The duotone back is hideous. Very apparent that this design is post-Jobs. He would NEVER approve an aesthetic like that.

IF this is the final design. You are aware of the fact that the iPhone 5 is said by Apple to be the last project Steve Jobs worked on through to completion and the final product aren't you?

It's fake anyway, I have seen differences between the distance from the home button and the bottom of the front cover and the clear glass in several photos, and if these were real apple lawyers would have had the videos and photos taken of the websites long ago, mac rumors even had to remove images of the fat boy nano before because apple ordered them to!

tigress666

macrumors 68040
Apr 14, 2010
Washington State
I don't mind the two tone back, I actually kinda like it. I dont mind they kept the general shape of the iPhone 4, I like my 4's shape and I certainly prefer it to the teardrop design that was shown that some people liked.

What I hate is the elongated look. I wish they just kept it the same size or at least if they must change the size that they kept the same aspect ratio. It doesn't really add much useful space with how they did it and the phone looks funny with that aspect ratio. If they must increase the size keeping the same aspect ratio would at least make it a useful increase of screen size for the loss of the phone being more portable. At least though they kept the phone at 4" cause anything bigger is too much of a compromise on the overall phone size IMHO.

paradox00

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2009
This is how Apple have dealt with this in the past. No letter from Apple legal means they don't care what's being shown.

The parts leaks for the latest iPad were accurate and Apple legal didn't do anything about them. Gizmodo had the whole phone, which is why Apple went after them.

----------

Bummed, however I'm not going to freak out about it like most on here. It's surprising they went this route. there's more seams, more pieces in the case than before. very unlike apple these days.

i'll most likely stick with the 4 and just get a new battery in the next year or so

You're right, unibody aluminium cases are very unlike Apple these days...

iLLBehavior

macrumors newbie
Sep 27, 2010
History tells me, this is it. The only difference will be the coloring. This is an aftermarket parts mockup. Real phone will have the all silver volume buttons etc.

More leaks due to more company's being involved in production now. Foxconn isn't the only one in the game.

I'd but stunned and completely shocked if the day comes and the iPhone we see is different.

P.S. - I hope the individual glass screen means the glass will be replaceable without a digitizer when broken. As long as no dust can get in between the layers.

Reason077

macrumors 68040
Aug 14, 2007
What I hate is the elongated look. I wish they just kept it the same size or at least if they must change the size that they kept the same aspect ratio.

I like the tall look much better. 16:9 is a perfect aspect ratio, because it matches broadcast TV - no more letterboxing or cropping when watching you're favorite shows. A taller screen will mean much more room for content in apps, even when the keyboard is showing.

In fact, I'm starting to hate the short, stubby look of my current iPhone already. Can't wait!!

Suspended
Mar 23, 2006
England
I don't disagree, but remember the tapered iPhone hardware mockup last year?

Not saying it's likely, but it is possible this is not the design.

That was coming from just one source though if I remember - the case manufacturers, who all based their decision on the same leaked design spec.

In contrast this design has leaked out from several different sources and media outlets known to have close connections within Apple.

I think that makes this a much more creditable rumour.

Toltepeceno

Suspended
Jul 17, 2012
SMT, Edo MX, MX
I do not think it looks that bad, I am not too crazy about the aspect ratio but really not bad looking at all.

I am not picturing this in white though. Maybe a brushed aluminum version in white?

Piggie

macrumors G3
Feb 23, 2010
I don't think I've ever witnessed any product leaked so much in the history of leaking :eek:

If this is all fake, then the many people here who said Apple would not make something that looked like this will be right of course.

I sense a steady change in the air from the early posting of this design with the "hate it/rubbish" comments, to the now, almost day by day postings about it's starting to look now, now it's seemingly looking more lightly this is indeed what's going to be shown.

If this is all fake and the new iPhone is something people really wanted, before seeing these mockups, then I'll be amazed at this leak's fakery.

It's going to be interesting to see what they show off and we'll either go, OMG that's amazing and wow we were all wrong, or it will, oh well, we always knew this was it, and there will be no surprise, apart from a few small internal spec bumps and that's it.

Seems more are just accepting this is probably it, almost daily.

wolfpackfan

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2007
Cary, NC
I actually like the design, a lot, and the two tone back. I never liked the glass back of the 4/4S. First thing I usually do with a phone anyway is drop on a custom gelaskins and bumper/case anyway so honestly the "look" of the phone doesn't really matter to me.

+1

I agree, I can't believe how many people seem to be so hung up on how the new iPhone looks.

morphineseason

macrumors 6502
Apr 1, 2007
For everyone that doesn't think Steve had anything to do with these new products, please see this article: https://www.macrumors.com/2011/10/07/steve-jobs-leaves-apples-pipeline-with-four-years-of-products/

Steve has 4 years worth of products in the pipeline. I can guarantee he had a say in the new iPhone. Whether this will be the final design or not remains to be seen, but don't be ignorant and say "Steve would have never approved this!"

Zunjine

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2009
I would like to visit a place where people can remember the "puck mouse" and other poor design decisions that happened under Steve Jobs' watch.

And I think the phone looks quite nice. As for my "lock-in" to the ecosystem... everything I've got works well together. I like that.

Granted, I don't have as much choice as buying two separate Android apps for my Xoom and my Kindle Fire ("<app name> Kindle Fire Edition"), but I get along just fine.

Well, exactly! Or the Apple TV interface that people griped about and the lack of a facetime camera in the first iPad, or the lack of a redesigned 3GS and 4S or the MobileMe fiasco!

Steve Jobs was a visionary and a great CEO but he wasn't perfect.

SockRolid

macrumors 68000
Jan 5, 2010
Almost Rock Solid
Sincerely hoping that the front panel will, in fact, be flush with the circumferential "band."
But it's hard to tell with just the cover glass and not the full touchscreen assembly.

sine-nomine

macrumors regular
Jul 25, 2007
Finer stores everywhere.
Well who knows, maybe the final product will be just different enough that it looks good. But if these pictures and this video are representative of how the finished device will look, I'll definitely be passing. Hopefully in a year or two they'll change the design to something I don't find quite as awful.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.