Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

erikkfi

macrumors 68000
May 19, 2017
Samsung is trying out all kinds of neat new things. I wouldn't buy one but I appreciate what they're doing. I can see the desirability of folding over a tall device into something twice as thick but with half the surface area. There's still an obvious wrinkle in the middle of the screen, though. Work to be done.

Reactions: spacebar2k

bryanck

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2008
It doesn't look like you're saving on overall volume vs a non-folding phone. So 2x shorter but 2x thicker when folded. Doesn't seem like an improvement in terms of convenience, I think having a big, bulky cube in my pocket is a downgrade. The original Razr was more clever in the way it was optimized for thickness when folded.

ofarlig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2015
Sweden
It doesn't look like you're saving on overall volume vs a non-folding phone. So 2x shorter but 2x thicker when folded. Doesn't seem like an improvement in terms of convenience, I think having a big, bulky cube in my pocket is a downgrade. The original Razr was more clever in the way it was optimized for thickness when folded.

The idea of the Fold is that the larger screen makes it useful for more than calling, messaging and browsing in a pinch. Sure it is bulkier but you get more use out of the device when you have a bigger screen.

Personally I don’t see much benefit from the Flip form factor though.

DD88

Suspended
Jun 6, 2022
I have a question for you all, if Apple made this EXACT phone as it looks now but place an apple logo on instead of Samsung, would it be getting as much hate as it is now ?
By the way I think it looks garbage but I’d buy one if it was made by Apple

Thehangmn

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2013
Samsungs doing all the R&D and heavy lifting. In a few years when Apple releases their own folding phone, they'll take all credit and Macrumors will actually give them all the credit.

Happens all the time.
Samsung is doing the display R&D because they develop display technology. Apply is developing their own silicon, not displays.
Samsung is pushing this hard because they stand to benefit greatly if it is widely adopted. They will be the sole producer of foldable screens until their competitors catch up.

Now if I grant your premise that apple will make a foldable iPhone, the more likely scenario is that Samsung has a few more iterations of mild success with the galaxy fold line but it never takes off, then apple adopts the technology and adds something small but very meaningful which makes the foldable form factor more appealing. Macrumors will give apple credit for popularizing a form factor that up until that point had only mild success

ofarlig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2015
Sweden
I have a question for you all, if Apple made this EXACT phone as it looks now but place an apple logo on instead of Samsung, would it be getting as much hate as it is now ?

The only thing that’s making me consider not getting one is I prefer iOS so I’d buy it instantly if Apple made it. Hell I’d probably buy it if Apple made an iMessage app for Android.

bryanck

macrumors member
Jan 18, 2008
If Apple comes out with a folding phone, it won't just be an iPhone 13 you can fold in half. I'm pretty sure of that.

XXPP

Suspended
Jun 30, 2019
Foldable are brilliant. Having owned a fold the concept is amazing! Can’t wait for the day Apple does the equivalent… that’s what stopped me. Too caught up in the ecosystem. Those who say they’re pointless.. give it a chance first, if you like iPads you will love the form factor!
This is next 3D TV

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012
I’m detecting more than a hint of envy in some of these posts… speaking ill of a tech when we all know these same people would be first in line to buy them if it came from Apple. Sort of like the “huge smartphones look ridiculous” crowd who are now buying the iPhone Pro Max.

I would love for Apple to introduce a foldable phone or iPad… or fingerprint sensor on the side… or under the screen camera… or… anything… something more than just a slightly better camera and new colors year after year.

macford

macrumors member
Sep 5, 2007
Westworld has ruined us all on foldable phones because until they look as good as Bernard's tri-fold device, none of us will be happy.

XXPP

Suspended
Jun 30, 2019
I’m detecting more than a hint of envy in some of these posts… speaking ill of a tech when we all know these same people would be first in line to buy them if it came from Apple. Sort of like the “huge smartphones look ridiculous” crowd who are now buying the iPhone Pro Max.

I would love for Apple to introduce a foldable phone or iPad… or fingerprint sensor on the side… or under the screen camera… or… anything… something more than just a slightly better camera and new colors year after year.
Nope. I will never buy such crappy device with BIG crease.

• Haha
Reactions: mayga1
I don't think it's about the hate. It just looks weird and strange.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA
...And then the crease still a thing i.e the Xiaomi Mix Fold 2 is better.
LOL Sure dude, no crease on the Xiaomi Fold. This is the Mix Fold 1 but I bet the Mix Fold 2 also has a crease.

Screen Shot 2022-08-12 at 6.29.08 PM.png

• Love
Reactions: Morgenland

thatguywill

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2021
Z flip with iOS would be nice. I’ve never understood the phone > tablet folding. Why would you need that?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.