Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
You're right. For a small price of $800. That's more that a Mac mini.

P-Worm
True, but the person I was replying to was copmlaining about having to make space for two components. I was just merely giving the best solution for watching HDM with that constraint.

jesus christ looks like not only there are 12 versions of HD TV out there and HDMI standards but also different blu-ray specifications etc.

seriously this whole thing is such a freaking mess i would really love to to smack my words of "one video connector, one media format at one frequency, and one disc format running on one codec" into some higher manager face

if a media disc player in your living room needs firmware updates then i would say it's quite a crappy design

seriously there is no reason why this stuff _has_ to be this god damn awefully complicated

edit: and the sad thing is that even all those hdtv stuff will sooner or later come into our house which means combined with digital satellite and DVB-T and it's quirks will make it even worse

edit2: the current setup is truly horrible in terms of cables anyway .. composite here, optical cable there, scart on the other side etc. that gonna be a huge pain to upgrade .. my head is hurting right now

HDMI is the one cable to rule them all. Regardless of what version of HDMI you have all of them pass Audio and Video in full resolution. What do you mean by 12 version of HD? AFAIK there is only 3: 720P, 1080I, 1080P.

Antares

macrumors 68000
And with downloadable content, how do you bring over a movie, that you have, to a friends house to watch? Waste a blank disc by burning it? With the DRM, could you even burn it? Could you play it on their computer/ set top box / whatever? Would you have to go through the hassle of authorizing and deauthorizing the file?

Right now, I have dvd's which I may watch on my main tv...or several other tv's in my house. I'll often bring over one of my dvd's to a friend's or family's place to watch. I'll also rip the dvd to watch on a laptop or iPod. I also rent dvd's quite a bit. I'll watch the movie, myself, but often also give the dvd to friends or family to watch before I return the movie. Currently, this is completely impossible to do with downloadable content (other than illegally copying the movie...which is also a time extensive hassle).

takao

macrumors 68040
Dec 25, 2003
Dornbirn (Austria)
HDMI is the one cable to rule them all. Regardless of what version of HDMI you have all of them pass Audio and Video in full resolution. What do you mean by 12 version of HD? AFAIK there is only 3: 720P, 1080I, 1080P.

1080p60
1080p50
1080p30
1080i60
720p60
1080p25
1080i50
1080p24
720p50
720p30
720i60
720p25
720i50
720p24

feel free to be confused

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005

Attachments

• videores.jpg
    videores.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 105

gkarris

macrumors G3
Dec 31, 2004
"No escape from Reality...”
Looks like it has:

http://www.highdefdigest.com/news/show/Warner/Breaking:_Warner_Goes_Blu-ray_Exclusive/1325

It's official: Warner has announced it will drop its support of the HD DVD format, and will begin releasing its next-gen titles on Blu-ray exclusively.

The complete press release from Warner follows below. Watch for more developments in this breaking story soon.

(January 4, 2008 – Burbank, CA) – In response to consumer demand, Warner Bros. Entertainment will release its high-definition DVD titles exclusively in the Blu-ray disc format beginning later this year, it was announced today by Barry Meyer, Chairman & CEO, Warner Bros. and Kevin Tsujihara, President, Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Group.

“Warner Bros.’ move to exclusively release in the Blu-ray disc format is a strategic decision focused on the long term and the most direct way to give consumers what they want,” said Meyer. “The window of opportunity for high-definition DVD could be missed if format confusion continues to linger. We believe that exclusively distributing in Blu-ray will further the potential for mass market success and ultimately benefit retailers, producers, and most importantly, consumers.”

Warner Home Video will continue to release its titles in standard DVD format and Blu-ray. After a short window following their standard DVD and Blu-ray releases, all new titles will continue to be released in HD DVD until the end of May 2008.

“Warner Bros. has produced in both high-definition formats in an effort to provide consumer choice, foster mainstream adoption and drive down hardware prices,” said Jeff Bewkes, President and Chief Executive Officer, Time Warner Inc., the parent company of Warner Bros. Entertainment. “Today’s decision by Warner Bros. to distribute in a single format comes at the right time and is the best decision both for consumers and Time Warner.”

“A two-format landscape has led to consumer confusion and indifference toward high definition, which has kept the technology from reaching mass adoption and becoming the important revenue stream that it can be for the industry,” said Tsujihara. “Consumers have clearly chosen Blu-ray, and we believe that recognizing this preference is the right step in making this great home entertainment experience accessible to the widest possible audience. Warner Bros. has worked very closely with the Toshiba Corporation in promoting high definition media and we have enormous respect for their efforts. We look forward to working with them on other projects in the future.”

MBHockey

macrumors 601
Oct 4, 2003
Connecticut
Are there any studios that have dumped Blu Ray exclusively for HD-DVD? I keep reading about companies dumping HD-DVD exclusively for Blu Ray (Blockbuster, now Warner Bros) but haven't seen it going the other way.

MRU

macrumors Penryn
Original poster
Aug 23, 2005
a better place
^mmm interesting. The 'BATTLE' (not the war) may indeed coming to a conclusion.

I read a report that pretty much all HD players from here on out will be combi-players. A great idea.

I don't mind which wins or loses as long as I can play the movies I have bought on both formats.

I just got Simpsons Movie on BD, and StarDust on HD-DVD so for me a combi player would be ideal I'm thinking.

diamond.g

macrumors G4
Mar 20, 2007
OBX
Are there any studios that have dumped Blu Ray exclusively for HD-DVD? I keep reading about companies dumping HD-DVD exclusively for Blu Ray (Blockbuster, now Warner Bros) but haven't seen it going the other way.
Paramount/Dreamworks (for 18 months though).

iEdd

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2005
This is great news. If this boosts sales enough, Blu-ray prices will drop and eventually HD-DVD will die out, which will mean massive sales for those who bought HD-DVD players. :)

EDIT: I changed the graph from here to show how the film studios are split between the too formats.

iEdd

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2005
Give it time. When they realise that all the sales are going to the sensible format then they will eventually switch over.

JackAxe

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2004
In a cup of orange juice.
Hurray, Time Warner dropped HD DVD. :)

OK, I'm moving along. :eek:

<]=)

I can't seen Universal, the thieving whores that they are, ever adopting blu-ray, not when they have their deformed hands in MS's pocket.

OK, moving along again. :eek:

<]=)

neoserver

macrumors 6502
Apr 24, 2003
Great news. Perhaps this means that a decision will be made here soon. I've been holding out buying a player until this is resolved...

iEdd

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2005
I thought they already published on DVD?

I meant out of the two HD formats. I do agree with what you are saying to an extent though, the HD discs are too expensive for the time being, unless something really worthwhile comes out. Obviously DVD can't last forever.

jaw04005

macrumors 601
Aug 19, 2003
AR
Well, I'm happy with this announcement.

Just gotta bring Paramount and Universal back to the Blu-ray fold. I want my Jurassic Park and Star Trek on Blu-ray!

You'll get your Jurassic Park eventually. Spielberg's films are not part of Universal's HD DVD exclusivity. In fact, Spielberg supports Blu-ray and has stated such publicly.

His only high definition release so far is Close Encounters of the Third Kind exclusively on Blu-ray (Sony).

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
This is great news. If this boosts sales enough, Blu-ray prices will drop and eventually HD-DVD will die out, which will mean massive sales for those who bought HD-DVD players. :)

EDIT: I changed the graph from here to show how the film studios are split between the too formats.

Graph is wrong/needs corrections, New Line and HBO are both Blu Ray only now since they are owned by Warner. Wienstien will also be part of the BDA at CES.

Warner will be joining other BD-exclusive suppliers Sony Pictures Home Entertainment, Walt Disney Home Entertainment, 20th Century Fox Home Entertainment and Lionsgate. Time Warner divisions New Line Home Entertainment and HBO Video are also included in the move to Blu-ray.
http://www.videobusiness.com/article/CA6517192.html

Richard Greenfield, the media analyst with Pali Research, wrote that this marks the end of the format wars: “We expect HD DVD to ‘die’ a quick death.” He noted that NBC Universal has not committed to backing HD DVD exclusively. Viacom’s studios — Paramount and Dreamworks — have an exclusive deal with the backers of HD DVD, but Mr. Greenfield wonders if there is an escape clause.

Mr. Greenfield further wonders if consumers, on hearing this news, will return their Christmas HD DVD players and exchange them for Blu-ray devices. I’m not so sure that many people pay that close attention to Hollywood. But I certainly wouldn’t spend money on an HD DVD player until this all sorts out.
http://bits.blogs.nytimes.com/2008/01/04/did-warner-brothers-just-kill-hd-dvd/?hp

hdvdownfl0.jpg

iEdd

macrumors 68000
Aug 8, 2005
Thanks for the correction. It seems whoever put it on wikipedia has not updated it in awhile.
Here's how it breaks down now.

Is HD-DVD completely screwed now or what? :D

Attachments

• HD Disc Graph.jpg
    HD Disc Graph.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 162

e²Studios

macrumors 68020
Apr 12, 2005
Thanks for the correction. It seems whoever put it on wikipedia has not updated it in awhile.
Here's how it breaks down now.

Is HD-DVD completely screwed now or what? :D

Sorry another correction I missed :)
Miramax is owned by Disney, it is Blu Ray exclusive.

HD DVD is dead, even on AVS most of the die hards are saying that they won't upgrade their HD DVD hardware or buy more HD DVD software after this announcement.

AVS Poster said:
I've been a big HD DVD supporter and have a nice library of about 150 hd-dvds...but this thing is over. Game, set, & match. I hate it for the HD DVD group too...

buffalo

macrumors 65816
Jun 5, 2005
Tacoma, WA
I did not realize that most of the studios were BluRay exclusive. Guess that is good news for me since I just bought a Playstation 3. Too bad the Bourne series is only available on HD-DVD.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.