HomePod Homepod - audio sync when using Airplay

Discussion in 'HomeKit, HomePod, CarPlay, Home & Auto Technology' started by mpainesyd, Apr 30, 2018.

1. mpainesyd, Apr 30, 2018
    Last edited: May 28, 2018

mpainesyd macrumors 6502

mpainesyd

Numerous threads in several topics refer to problems with using Airplay to send audio to the Homepod - in particular the problem of the audio being out of sync with the video. This thread tries to consolidate this information - please add your experiences to it.

Hopefully Airplay2 will address this issue. Otherwise a method of manually adjusting delays for video/audio to improve lip-sync would be useful.

Airplay from a Mac to Homepod

iTunes films with video on the Mac screen - OK
    iTunes films with video output to an HDMI device - Marginal
    EyeTV with video on the screen - Unwatchable!
    Safari (youtube) - Marginal

Airplay from an AppleTV to Homepod

Films/Movies - Good
    Computer films (Homeplay) - Good
    Netflix - Good
    DVDLink (live TV streaming) - Poor
    Youtube - poor
    Stan ?

2. mpainesyd, May 28, 2018
    Last edited: May 28, 2018

mpainesyd thread starter macrumors 6502

mpainesyd

I have installed Airfoil 5 on the Mac and this gives reasonable lip sync for the above apps. However it doesn't affect (fix!) the Apple TV problems.
    Unfortunately Airfoil does not have a lipsync adjustment feature. It does however allow adjustment where using more than one audio output. The default is that it slows the outputs to the slowest device on the list. This shows that latency adjustment is available - just not in the form that I would like.

3. BlankStar macrumors 6502

BlankStar

I'm not bothering to test it until 11.4 hits the HomePod and I can use my two HP's in a stereo setup...