HomePod preordering

Discussion in 'HomeKit, HomePod, CarPlay, Home & Auto Technology' started by Mrsemexter, Jan 24, 2018.

1. Phil77354 macrumors regular

Phil77354

Also, with respect to my comment that I enjoy the benefits of iTunes . . .

I look at it this way. I have a collection of a couple of thousand CDs, and several years ago I decided to begin using iTunes to have them all available and easily accessible on my computer and to play at home. It's quite enjoyable to be able to open iTunes and have everything at your fingertips, including being able to search through the music easily to find something, keep track of how often you've listened to specific tracks and what you haven't listened to so much, and so forth.

There have been a few times when I've thought about checking out other similar software to archive and manage my music, but iTunes works fine for me. And when new products come out, such as this new HomePod, I'll benefit from the integration (hopefully).

2. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

I only use Apple Music and personally wouldn’t have pre ordered if I used anything else

I would have got a google home or Alexa

3. smr macrumors 6502a

Good question! Short answer – habit and ignorance.

Long answer – I have been buying/listening to CDs since the late 1980s, and I even sold my pre-CD vinyl albums replacing most of them with CDs. I have also been using Macs since the late 1980s. I didn’t see the point of the iPod when it launched – my portable CD played gave me music on the move. But by the third-gen iPod I ‘got-it’, so ripped my CD library at 128kbps for an iPod for music on the move, still listening to CDs at home (on a mid-range separates system). 128kbps audio was clearly inferior to CD audio, so I continued to buy CDs rather than buy and download music from iTunes. Then iTunes went to 256kbps, but I could still tell this apart from the CDs at home, so I stuck with CDs as my preferred music source, and I still buy them (or CD quality lossless downloads from e.g. Presto Classical). A few years ago I re-ripped all my CDs to Apple lossless (using XLD and accurate RIP to ensure bit-perfect copies – something you don’t get with iTunes). The CDs are now stored away, and all the music I play at home is now from my iMac, either through an amp/speakers in the study via an ARCAM rPAC or via AirPlay to two B&W A5s in two other rooms in the house. Most of my music is ‘classical’. I listen to BBC Radio 3 whilst working to help discover ‘new’ music. My 256GB iPhone X now carries my music library for music on the move (AirPods or Bose QC35s). This arrangement works for me (‘habit’).

I want a speaker for the kitchen, and I’m intrigued to see what Apple have come up with in the HomePod in terms of audio quality. So as long as I can AirPlay to a HomePod I will be happy. Yes, another ‘dumb’ third party AirPlay speaker e.g. a Sonos would also fit the bill, but I really want to hear what the HomePod can do.

The ‘ignorance’ part is I’m not sure what extra Apple Music will offer me (especially as I get the impression that classical music isn’t Apple Music’s focus), although I’m also intrigued by the ‘musicology’ part of HomePod so may yet trial Apple Music once I get my HomePod.

4. Dave245 macrumors 604

Dave245

Finally pre-ordered a space grey one :D

5. Phil77354, Jan 27, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2018

Phil77354 macrumors regular

Phil77354

I appreciate it. I saw the Sonos pricing. I do admit to doing this on impulse, but I'll continue to read what is available on the HomePod between now and delivery time. I should have also mentioned earlier - ordering early, as I did, is a way to basically reserve one and then if my interest holds, I get it on launch day. If I change my mind, then there is nothing lost.
    --- Post Merged, Jan 27, 2018 ---
    Your situation is very similar to mine but I wouldn't say that ignorance is really a factor. I think you don't give yourself enough credit, you're obviously pretty knowledgeable about the choices you've made.

If you have a large quantity of your own recordings, as you and I both do, then why pay a monthly fee to get access to music that doesn't really add much if anything to what you already have? There is also the consideration of having it available remotely, but for me at least that doesn't really apply either. I largely listen to my music at home, which is why home speakers are worth the investment - just as you have done (I have had a Quad ESL system for many years, in fact).

My CDs are also ripped to iTunes at the highest quality, but I'll have to look into XLD and accurate RIP if as you mention the resulting quality is improved. I have had occasional problems with CDs ripped to iTunes where there would be artifacts and distortion in the iTunes playback that was not present in the CD, and it is something that has always puzzled me given the claim that the iTunes ripping process uses 'error correction' (if selected, as I do).

6. smr, Jan 27, 2018
    Last edited: Jan 27, 2018

smr macrumors 6502a

Yes, I think my main problem with Apple Music is that I'm also struggling to see why I should pay for access to music I already have, but then am I missing some other benefit? Perhaps Apple Music users can help? The 'musicology' function of HomePod might be a benefit to me, but then will it be as good with classical music as it is with popular music? iTunes was very slow to adopt the 'work name' and 'movement number/name' used by most classical pieces.

Regarding ripping CDs, I started using iTunes (with error correction) when re-ripping to Apple lossless. One of the first few CDs I ripped had a couple of very obvious audio clicks when played back. These weren't there when I played the CD on a CD player. Re-ripping fixed this, but then how could I check that subsequent iTunes rips didn't have artefacts without painstakingly listening to them all? A quick Google search led me to XLD. It uses the Accurate RIP database to compare the checksums of the files you have ripped with those ripped by others. It takes into account differences between CD drives and different CD pressings. Surprisingly, there were only a couple of my 500+ CDs that weren't in the Accurate RIP database.

7. jagooch macrumors 6502

jagooch

How many people here regret not buying 2 Homepods on Friday? I'm thinking of replace more Echo's and Sonos so 1 isn't enough.

I have both Amazon Echo and Sonos speaker in kitchen and bedroom, and I'm thinking about replacing those with Homepods. I noticed that Echo's can control light's and set temperature on my smart thermostat, but it doesn't support scene's like Homekit does.

ie. when I wake up I can say "hey Siri , good morning" and it will put the bedroom light to 15% , kitchen to 100% brightness, and raise the temperature ( since it's winter here ) . It would be really cool have music start and the coffee machine start making coffee too, but I'll take what I can get. :)

With the Echo, I can say "Alexa good morning" and have the lights turn on to whatever brightness they were before ( which is sometimes too dark or bright ) and that's it.

8. The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

I’m tempted to get a 2nd one for the bedroom to be honest.

Likewise when I get up so I can switch the bedroom light on and the hall light on for when I get up..ideal as not a morning person and struggle to wake up so having the light on with fix that

Would be tempted to get the white for bedroom to go with my room.

Will see how the first one is and if I like it enough.

9. groovyf macrumors 6502

I’ve been on EE’s free 6 month Apple Music add-on which has just expired, and I’ve now signed-up to it via Apple (albeit another 3 month free trial), and will certainly continue the paid subs after that expires.
    I’m finding it hugely useful to hear new music I otherwise wouldn’t have. My tastes are broad - rock, reggae, jazz, blues, electronic, dance, world - so Apple Music is generating a lot of playlists based on my listening habits and I’m already 10 bands richer I’d never known about.
    In that respect I can make use of HomePod’s integration.

My background... been buying CDs since late 80’s also and continue to buy them and rip/add to my local iTunes music collection. The HomePod not being able to access this collection directly via Siri is not such a big deal for me as I can always use AirPlay. I’ve been after a small, decent-sounding speaker for the living room for a while now... this is the hole hopefully to be filled by the HomePod. Another factor in choice is the WAF (Wife Acceptance Factor) whereby separate amp/speakers is not happening. I’ve seen many posts here stating why spend this money on the HomePod when you can get an amp/bookshelf speakers, or even a sound bar for similar... I will raise the WAF here!
    Luckily Mrs GF is an Apple person, and we’ve a good number of devices in the eco-system, so this purchase makes sense.

Also, thanks for the heads-up on XLD as I’ve been contemplating re-ripping (oh, how many hours!!!) my CDs to a better bit rate/lossless).

10. BMcCoy macrumors 68000

BMcCoy

A very important factor not included in many reviewers' analyses of products... ;)

11. blaugrana69 macrumors regular

blaugrana69

Ordered a space grey on Saturday (UK).Selling a couple of Bose Bluetooth speakers to fund the majority of the £319. One I never used anymore and the other is one of my two Bose Soundlink Revolve Plus (retaining one), bought two for stereo pairing so, ultimately, have an eye on two HomePods for the same reason.
    I’m taking the gamble that the sound quality on the HomePod will be better than the Revolve which, whilst pretty good, was not great. I use Apple Music for pretty much all my listening these days.

12. smr macrumors 6502a

Thanks for that - I think your music tastes are better suited to Apple Music and it is good to see it is working so well for you. I'm also an EE customer so the 6 months free trial is tempting.

And I agree that the WAF is an important consideration! An amp with speakers on stands do not look out of place in the study (with 2 iMacs, printers, scanner etc) so no problem there with the other half. We live in an Edwardian house (built 1909) and we are trying to keep the two 'reception' rooms 'in period', so no obvious tech allowed. This is where the two B&W A5s come in. I managed to find two original 1920's speaker cabinets on eBay a while ago (£15 for both as I recall). The speakers units had long been removed so they were not of any historical value. I cleaned them and re-did the French polish and now use them to hide the A5s and their PSUs. The sound quality wasn't affected (although modern speaker cloth probably helped here). They are pictured below. The kitchen is more contemporary so the HomePod should fit in there as it is.

speaker.jpg

13. Christocentric macrumors regular

Christocentric

When do you think we will begin to see a preparing to ship status?

14. darren2112 macrumors newbie

My credit card was just charged....

15. DocMultimedia macrumors 6502

DocMultimedia

Yep, my card was also charged earlier tonight. I hope they ship a few days early.

16. Christocentric macrumors regular

Christocentric

I just looked and mine was charged too!
    One charge for the HomePod and one charge for the AppleCare.

17. phr0z3n macrumors member

phr0z3n

18. csurfr macrumors 68000

I only ordered one, but I think I’ll pick up a second one within a week of my first arriving for my bedroom. I just brought my echo over to the gf’s place to replace an aging bt speaker she uses.

I’m also curious how well the HomePod will sound over AirPlay from my AppleTv. If it works well, then a second one will definitely be on my list.

Also, my card was charged today as well! Can’t wait!

19. rdy0329 macrumors 6502

Apple taking money before we come to our senses. Can't wait for Feb 9th!

20. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

They do offer a money back guarantee, so if you do come to your sense in under two weeks, you can still get your money back ;)

21. rdy0329 macrumors 6502

That’s fine and all but I don’t live in the US. I have to live with it when I forward it here.

22. The Game 161, Feb 2, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 2, 2018

The Game 161 macrumors P6

The Game 161

My money has been taken and says mine is preparing for dispatch

[​IMG]

23. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Then you better be sure of your purchase ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

24. smr macrumors 6502a

Yay!