Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

mjr1000

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 31, 2017
Well I'm about 20 min away from finding that out. Got both an ATT and Verizon reserved. Apple employee also said should be no issue as long as paid in full.
Good luck! I hope it works out.

questionmark32

macrumors regular
Sep 23, 2013
Did your Target mention how much stock they had? I called my local Target and they had received 0. I am in a major metropolitan area.
[doublepost=1509718032][/doublepost]
We're confusing a few questions. The question I was replying to was - cant you just buy the Verizon phone in full from the Apple store. And the answer to that is not without having a Verizon account. At least that's my understanding. AT&T customers who want the "Verizon" phone need to get from Best Buy, Walmart, or Target.

One Target only had 6. Another one only had about 4. One of each side and color

jsnuff1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2003
NY
Good luck! I hope it works out.

Picked up the verizon phone no issue from Apple! Simply activated and setup the phone with the preinstalled verizon sim, then after setup just swapped my ATT sim in. Works perfect! I already see an improvement in my apartment from the intel model in my iPhone 7 to iPhone X (1 bars to 4 bars!) Of course that could just be due to improvements in the phone itself and not necessarily the modem it has.

Reactions: mjr1000

m3gatran

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2010
Honolulu
Picked up the verizon phone no issue from Apple! Simply activated and setup the phone with the preinstalled verizon sim, then after setup just swapped my ATT sim in. Works perfect! I already see an improvement in my apartment from the intel model in my iPhone 7 to iPhone X (1 bars to 4 bars!) Of course that could just be due to improvements in the phone itself and not necessarily the modem it has.

So you had an AT&T preorder pick pick and they let you switch it to a Verizon?

predation

macrumors 65816
Apr 3, 2013
Apple should give the Qualcomm versions to iUP people as Apple says with the iUP, you’re free to go to any carrier you want.

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
People who just got an X at the store without a preorder did you wait in line forever?

Or they had walk in units ?

Acejam2k

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2008
We're confusing a few questions. The question I was replying to was - cant you just buy the Verizon phone in full from the Apple store. And the answer to that is not without having a Verizon account. At least that's my understanding. AT&T customers who want the "Verizon" phone need to get from Best Buy, Walmart, or Target.

I don't think that's true. Online orders through Apple require a Verizon account. But if you walk into an Apple store, you should be able to buy a Verizon phone at full price without any Verizon account details.

Did you need an active Verizon line to activate it though? You should be able to take the phone out of the box, pop out verizon sim, pop in AT&T sim, and turn it on.

Mechinyun

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2010
I got mine this morning from target here in farifax VA, they had 7 total. And yes it is the qualcom version :)

jsnuff1

macrumors 6502a
Oct 4, 2003
NY
So you had an AT&T preorder pick pick and they let you switch it to a Verizon?

No I waited in line since I missed pre-order, and got both the AT&T and Verizon since you can get two just to be safe (in case verizon version didn't work for AT&T).

Did you need an active Verizon line to activate it though? You should be able to take the phone out of the box, pop out verizon sim, pop in AT&T sim, and turn it on.

No, I just activated it using the internal Verizon SIM it came with, set it up then just switched out the SIM with my AT&T and everything worked great. I heard that you need to activate it with the Verizon SIM first in order to keep it from getting locked to AT&T (don't know if this is true), but I'm sure it would still work if you just used AT&T to activate.

Acejam2k

macrumors regular
Jul 16, 2008
No, I just activated it using the internal Verizon SIM it came with, set it up then just switched out the SIM with my AT&T and everything worked great. I heard that you need to activate it with the Verizon SIM first in order to keep it from getting locked to AT&T (don't know if this is true), but I'm sure it would still work if you just used AT&T to activate.

My understanding is that this procedure only needs to be done for iPhones sold by third-party retailers such as Best Buy and Target, due to FLEX retailer policies. Phones sold by Apple and bought "outright" should be 100% unlocked regardless of what SIM you enter, but it can't hurt to be safe.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
So, here are a couple data points. Went to Store this AM, 05:00, waited in line till about 10:00, finally they took reservations for later in the day pickup. I selected two, AT&T 256 and Verizon 256.. I had HAD an AT&T order that was to be delivered by 11/20. Didn't want to wait. when the rep selected the items from their inventory screen he selected 256, AT&T UNLOCKED and Verizon 256 SG, UNLOCKED. theres was an option for locked to be selected. Since I was paying in full, that is probably why the UNLOCKED was selected.

When I went back to pickup, about 30 minutes prior I had cancelled the online order for the AT&T phone I had made with the apple app back on 10/27. Just in case.

I simply paid for the two phones and walked out. No SSN, no confirmation of my AT&T account or phone number or pin, just walked out with both phones. The Apple Employee essentially confirmed that the Verizon models were basically their Unlocked free units.

So, now I have to decide which one to keep and which one to pass on to a colleague. From the posts above and other posts it would seem that possibly the qualcomm is a better performing phone or at least has the ability to be, as well as that it is clearly Worldwide unlocked and can operate essentially anywhere.

Are there any reasons to go with the AT&T phone for an AT&T customer? That 33 Band that was unique to AT&T phones a few generations ago seems to be universal now. And the CDMA optionality for either use or future sale seems to be a positive.

And, from posts here it would seem that just popping in my legacy AT&T SIM from the phone 7 it should just activate on AT&T and i'm good to go? Any reason no?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.