Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Sam_S

macrumors 6502
Nov 20, 2016
Everywhere
Just FYI, iPhone is a Chinese product and it's price will go up in US if Trump raises tariffs on Chinese electronics.

Or Apple could absorb the cost and drop their margins a bit. They are one of the few manufacturers in the world that have margins as high as they do. However I would rather they reinvest it in the company instead of lining their own pockets...

pika2000

Suspended
Jun 22, 2007
Apple could do with moving down further. They need to get hungry again.
Not really.
Does BMW try to compete with Toyota?
A company has to have a clear vision what segment of the market they want to target.

The one who should worry is Samsung. Samsung thinks they’re competing with Apple, while in reality the ones eating their market share are the Chinese OEMs. Yet Samsung continues wasting money mocking Apple.

In the next few years, we will see the likes of Huawei and Xiaomi taking the crown from Samsung, while Apple is comfortable on the side watching the Android OEMs killing each other.

Glockworkorange

Suspended
Feb 10, 2015
Chicago, Illinois
Looks like Huawei, Xiaomi and OPPO will be top three in few years.
And Samsung/Apple should share next spots respectively!
Regardless Apple will still lead the profits by quite a margin. Quantity doesn't matter!
What matters are millions and perhaps billions of people who cannot afford iPhones. iPhones are a commodity in the US, but not in China and India.

Michael Goff

Suspended
Jul 5, 2012
Or Apple could absorb the cost and drop their margins a bit. They are one of the few manufacturers in the world that have margins as high as they do. However I would rather they reinvest it in the company instead of lining their own pockets...

If you believe they're going to eat the cost, I have a bridge to sell you. Same with the second part

Reactions: dabocx and Sam_S

Glockworkorange

Suspended
Feb 10, 2015
Chicago, Illinois
Not really.
Does BMW try to compete with Toyota?
A company has to have a clear vision what segment of the market they want to target.

The one who should worry is Samsung. Samsung thinks they’re competing with Apple, while in reality the ones eating their market share are the Chinese OEMs. Yet Samsung continues wasting money mocking Apple.

In the next few years, we will see the likes of Huawei and Xiaomi taking the crown from Samsung, while Apple is comfortable on the side watching the Android OEMs killing each other.
I agree with most of what you said, but Samsung's competition in the US is absolutely Apple and I imagine it is by a wide margin. Who do they really compete with in the US? The Pixel, which if memory serves, is not sold in carrier stores? OnePlus? HTC? Motorola? LG?

In the US, it is Apple v. Samsung and the rest get the scraps. People like us on these forums aren't the average consumer. The average consumer is the guy who walks into a carrier store or Best Buy and is sold on a phone by the sales rep.

Reactions: jedifaka

pradeepbabloo

macrumors member
Mar 1, 2016
What matters are millions and perhaps billions of people who cannot afford iPhones. iPhones are a commodity in the US, but not in China and India.
China was a huge market for Apple for whatever time it was. But it can no more compete with local brands in China.
And frankly I don't think Apple cares about India (yet!). At least not to a level where it depends on India for sales/profit.
But it may change in future, just like China India might be its next big market.
[doublepost=1533091916][/doublepost]
It does, just only when Apple needs to boast. If they don't have the numbers they need, like anyone else does, they manipulate the message to make the numbers sing.
Thats why they are turning to "Services" section for profits.

Reactions: tzm41

Yamcha

macrumors 68000
Mar 6, 2008
There's a pretty easy way Apple could potentially grab those sales but hasn't really done anything about it yet. It's quite simple really, they should release a truly affordable phone for the low-mid tier market.

The moment Apple releases a truly affordable phone that isn't equipped with tiny screens it can really make a dent in the market. I don't understand why they refuse to do that? If Huawei, Xiaomi, One Plus can all release excellent phones for a lot less then why can't Apple do it? Apple could potentially cannibalize all these companies but frankly, currently, they only cater to developed countries.

The iPhone 5C was terrible, and probably one of the most hated things ever. Oppo, for example, is massive in the developing world and if only Apple could start targeting everyone rather than people who are well off they can really make a massive difference in market share. Apple as a brand is still the "Go-to" and I'm sure people would rather have an Apple-branded phone rather than a Huawei, Oppo, or Xioami.

GuruZac

macrumors 68040
Sep 9, 2015
⛰️🏕️🏔️
Nah, Huawei just copied it for the resemblance to iPhone. Their notch doesn't contain the same tech or the same purpose: Huawei still has a fingerprint reader.
And this is exactly my point. None of the now growing number of brands who've incorporate the notch into their design have Apple's level of tech for 3D mapping facial ID, and yet they've used the notch design because Apple did it first. Not saying Apple is always the first with design or tech, but they can claim first for real facial ID and first for a notch design, whether you like the design or not.

Reactions: Mescagnus

AgentAnonymous

macrumors 6502
May 6, 2016
Huawei is trash, and given the tight control that the Chinese government has over all Chinese companies, I would never use a Chinese phone.

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
I don't really see how this is bad news for Apple.
- Apple's market share is higher than it was compared to last year 12.1% vs 11.8%
- Apple sold more units than last year. It is a slight bump. Considering that industry wide smartphone sales have decreased. They did very well.

The bad news is for Samsung and the minor vendors. Since Huawei, Xiaomi and Oppo are eating away at their sales.

Ramchi

macrumors 65816
Dec 13, 2007
India
I love my Honor 10! It has almost everything that iPhone X has(may be more) at 1/3 price! Phantom Blue color 6 GB RAM, AI and AR camera! Rocks!

I won't but their P20 Pro sort of products at prices above Samsung Flagship!

In my place Apple almost non-existent, thanks to its exorbitant prices far and above the reach of mobile savvy consumers!
[doublepost=1533099582][/doublepost]
Not going to argue if there is spyware on foreign devices, however how do you know for sure that there is no NSA spyware on Apple devices. Just saying if I was a foreign consumer purchasing an Apple product manufactured in China for an American company and sold in this example China, should I not be suspect of Apple.

How do we really know that there is no "zero-day" type of trojan in iOS, considering one can circumvent via jailbreaks.

There is American spyware in all electronic & software goods designed or developed in USA. I won't trust both Chinese and American or any other products on the parameters of security. But choose based on the cost and functionalities.

MacsRgr8

macrumors G3
Sep 8, 2002
The Netherlands
Copying pays off, only Xiaomi does it better, and cheap sells.
History always tends to repeat itself.
Someone remember the VCR business? Philips was first and best with the 2000 system, then came the somewhat cheaper Betamax, but ultimately Sony with the cheapest VHS won.

bollman

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2001
Lund, Sweden
I wrote off Huawei when the US banned sales. Sorry but, Buh bye.

Personally I wouldn’t want a cheap iPhone knock off, I like the real deal full experience. Huawei UI is severely lacking. Puhleez mention the elephant in the room.

If I was going to go android again I would go back to Samsung.

IMO I’d rather support South Korea and not China. Samsung hands down better.

You have not used a recent Huawei, I can tell. With EMUI 5, it's great.
I bought my P10 a little over a year ago for less than $300 with no contract. It's a great phone. Sure, the design is somewhat a ripoff, but hey, really, how many varaiations can you do on the general shape? Performance is great, camera is great, loads of storage, and best of all: dual sim. I love having both private and work sim in the same phone. The iPhone I got at work lives in a drawer somewhere, I do not need 2 phones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.